ADVERTISEMENT

LWE 49 Barrington 6 early 4:00 4th qtr

I believe this was the year East played in 7A? If so no influx of kids. In any case the argument doesn’t hold true since East has been in the playoffs every year regardless of North being open.

Reactions: jwarigaku
I believe this was the year East played in 7A? If so no influx of kids. In any case the argument doesn’t hold true since East has been in the playoffs every year regardless of North being open.
Nope wrong again. They were 8a.

Also, no one is arguing that they weren’t in the playoffs. They were definitely in, but making 2nd round and quarters is a lot different than winning state titles.

Also, no one is arguing that they weren’t in the playoffs. They were definitely in, but making 2nd round and quarters is a lot different than winning state titles.
No team is going to win a title every year. Most programs would be happy to make 2nd round or quarters.

Is this about being wrong or right???? My god , it’s a discussion.

Im pointing out factual mistakes. That’s all. The discussion is that we all agree zvonar isa great coach, but my point is that LWE wasn’t as successful when LWN is open.

Reactions: Bwm57
No team is going to win a title every year. Most programs would be happy to make 2nd round or quarters.
I agree with that. 99% of teams would be happy with that. But two titles, runner up amd two semis since LWN closed is a big difference than when they were open.

I agree with that. 99% of teams would be happy with that. But two titles, runner up amd two semis since LWN closed is a big difference than when they were open.
Listen when my kids played for East, North and West kids all played for East. I never looked at it as they were getting a big influx of kids because they were all playing for East. When North closed to me it felt like they were coming home. Just saying. 😊

Reactions: eagles2k3
Eagles try looking at it this way. ALL of LW North came to East….the entire school relocated. The split took Mokena back to Central. Frankfort proper…stayed at East. In essence ask this question…after year one of the merge…didn’t East do just fine with Coach Zvonar leading the North kids to a state level program? Maybe you can ask why North didn’t do better? Coach Czart was on the path but a brain fart cost them advancement past WWSouth.
Czart later won a state title at Lockport.
The program at East started in 2001 with Coach Zvonar leading the program…taught by a strong staff at LW Central…who Z often credits for his success.
So…Z started a program that won state in 5 years. Made the playoffs every year even the first year with only Frosh, Sophs,Juniors….no Seniors. Picked up the pieces after the school closure at North. Molded a nice program from the area and molded what the district has to offer. In essence he has restarted 2 schools.
Yet…if you talk to the coaching staff the first words are none of this is possible without community support. There are other public programs doing the same but this LWE staff is right. Don’t bring district moaning and groaning of school closures from years ago and tie that to football coaches who still have to mold players into a team.

No they were not. North kids absolutely helped LWE get their title. I will give the coach props though, I’m sure it was tough to unite the new players with the lwe players.
Great Coach. The rest is loser speak. I don't know where your a fan or your kids play but most likely Z is better than your coach.

Reactions: corey90
I’d love to see Coach Zvonar after he retires, take over another public school that has never won a state title & see what he can do?
Any high schools in mind? Maybe a small college near ISU? Retirement is not all that bad either.

I find it somewhat silly that any one criticizes Z. His track record is legendary for a coach at a public school.

If they benefitted from North closing then that benefit likely would’ve warn off by now.

Hard to argue with the performance of his program. Every year they are more prepared than the opponent they play.

And to think, they do this in the back yard of a traditional Catholic league power.

Just a little lucky charm LWE shares with no one😀. It’s a secret for LWE faithful only.

• Love
Reactions: lweastdad
I find it somewhat silly that any one criticizes Z. His track record is legendary for a coach at a public school.

If they benefitted from North closing then that benefit likely would’ve warn off by now.

Hard to argue with the performance of his program. Every year they are more prepared than the opponent they play.

And to think, they do this in the back yard of a traditional Catholic league power.
I didn’t see anyone, anywhere ever criticize Coach Zvonar. Anyone that does has opinions that obviously don’t need to be listened to.

Reactions: chakazulu89
My sons were on the first LWE team in 2001 and the first state championship team in 2005. So I have been around the program since the beginning, That 2001 team was actually the Freshman B team two yeaars before and was undefeated as freshman and as sophomores. Zvonar actually took over the team as the sophomore coach to begin to train the team for varsity football There were no seniors on that team. The 2005 team never lost a game from sixth grade on.

If I remember right someone on this site posted the top winning programs with over 200 victories. Lincoln Way East was the #1 team by a wide margin. I'm sure some one has this and will check if my recollection is correct. Regardless it is a hell of a record of achievment and consistancy over 22 years for Rob Zvonar.

I think the issue that people are taking with in some of the comments is that Lincoln way east definitely took a dip when Lincolnway North was opened. Still a top-tier 7a/8a program, but weren’t the juggernaut that they are now. He is a great coach, I think we can all agree on that. My only argument is that when lwe didn’t have the extra 500 to 600 kids to choose from lwn, they weren’t as dominant. Could he take a York or Downers Grove north and make them a consistent winner? Yes. Could he do it with Morton or Fenton? Probably not. It all comes down to players AND a great coach is all I’m saying.

Reactions: chiliconcarne2
I've never heard a negative word about coach Z. Ever. And as far a Providence Catholic goes 9 out of their 10 trophy's were won before 2005. The stock market crash of 2008 and the subsequent property tax increase was a huge hit for JCA and PC and may of those kids wound up at the Public schools in the area, LWE was already riding high but many families could no longer afford a Catholic school. While I'll be rooting for LA it would not surprise me if LWE wins, but he will need to score more 3 points to get the W.

I have an idea…We could print up a roster of the 90 plus players on the LWE team and list the feeder school and Pop Warner team they played on before arrival to the Griffins program. Catholic league teams do this all the time to give a nod to the recruiters who do the best job😀.

I have an idea…We could print up a roster of the 90 plus players on the LWE team and list the feeder school and Pop Warner team they played on before arrival to the Griffins program. Catholic league teams do this all the time to give a nod to the recruiters who do the best job😀.
Est 90 kids on Varsity roster. 70 are either Frankfort Falcons or Frankfort Square Wildcats. A few from the Providence Celtics and Mokena Burros also in the area. Many of the rest "never played" football before HS and a few transfers in like every public schools over the last 4 years. Divorced parents etc. -The 4 Captains, 3 from Falcons (Tischer Durkin Wuske) and 1 is from FF Square (Janowski). So whatever BS direction your heading get your info straight. LWE is culture first. That's why their good. Built by Z at the top. Look at LWCentral and LWWest thriving. Z coaching disciple's. Team first, talent second. Your shit school has the same talent pool your coaches don't develop. Every school over 2K students have the talent roaming the halls. Do they have the leadership?

Spankwagon I was not saying anything negative about LWE and fully believe the Pop Warner or feeder programs that were in East territory, then North and now back to East matter to most people. To mention what community supplies talent is usually done in the private city programs. LWE has only the local D210 busses to supply the athletes to the door and doesn’t need to recruit. I know last year the LWE area had kids on the roster at least for St. Rita and Mt. Carmel. Do I care nor does the coaching staff at LWE? My mention of recruiters was directed at those schools that have programs outside D210 are in the Wildcats area and at games. The biggest problem is how to keep a roster of 90 plus year in and year out focused. That has been a positive to team building. Woodburn in one year and hopefully more has brought back that tradition at LWC…returning the favor so to speak for giving Z to LWE.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT