ADVERTISEMENT

Lepche has left St Francis

godfthr,

I agree. I have said that when SF hires a good coach they do very well. In the last 30 years two sport programs have really dragged SF down as an option for boys and its football and basketball. Since I graduated in the mid 80s, the basketball program has gotten much better but football has not.

I don't agree with people here when they say that SF isn't doing enough to get kids or they lose kids to WWS or WN or they aren't in a good spot to get kids to enroll. I totally disagree. St. Michael school sends quite a few kids to SF. In the last 10 years SF lost out on a few real good players to WWS. The Vitale and OToole families both went to St. Michael and the O'Toole family sent two kids to SF before sending Reilly to WWS. The only reason Reilly went to WWS was because of football. Not sure on Vitale, but if SF had been a 5-4 team or better it could have made the family think twice about SF instead of WWS.

When SF had Bill Barz for ONE year, they went to the quarters. He left and SF went down the tubes. They hired Greg Purnell and he won a title in his second year. Purnell had winning records and 5 playoff appearances in seven years. After that, SF hired Fitzgerald and they went to the semis and he had a 5-4 team the next year. SF usually tests around 220 to about 223 kids a year. The year after they won 5A, the school tested over 270. After they went back to the playoffs they were testing 260, but last year and this year they tested right back down at 230.

What SF needs is a good coach who is willing TO STAY and build a program I think SF has turned out to be a stepping stone for some coaches and for some others it showed they can't coach.

If you have a kid who is good in soccer, volleyball, track, cross country or baseball, you are going to have a great experience if you are a boy or girl. Track and cross county for both boys and girls does fine.....volleyball does fin for boys and great for girls........baseball is fine and they took 4th a few years ago. But if you are looking for football, this is when you take a look at WN WWS or Benet. And Benet has really been a late comer because for two decades they were a disaster. Benet lost kids to Naperville or WWS when they were really bad.

I don't know where some get off saying the school is a mess. I don't think its true. If they fix football, they would be competitive.

Some interesting perspectives. I guess the view can be taken that Male Sports have been pretty damn good over there the last 9 years. I would be curious to know how many Schools have gone to State Championships in multiple Sports in that time period.
In the last 9 years St. Francis has had ONE losing Season in Football. This was last year. Compared to the Powerhouse WWS which has had losing seasons 3 out of the last 5 years. In this time period. St. Francis won a 5A State Championship and Quarter Final game in 6A. In this time perioid beat Montini arguably the best program around 3 different times. Not too many Schools can claim that.
Basketball was on a Pretty Good Run for 10 Years. Including a Super sectional Run 3 years ago where they came 2 Pts from Taking a Trip Down State.
Baseball has gone to the State Finals 2 out of last 4 Years with a 2nd Place Finish and a 4 th Place Finish. Obviously one of best Runs in the State. Last year had to survive the IHSA penalty success penalty clause and move up to 4A because went to State two out of 3 years.
Boys Volleyball has finished ranked in the State's Top Ten 4 out of last 5 years. Soccer, Track and Golf pretty successful.
There seems to be a two year period of some down athletes in Football. Same can be said for WWS, St. Rita and many other top programs.
Can things be better? Of course every School can improve. However, I am around a lot of Schools and can't find too many that have experienced the success the last 9 years in Boys Sports. Not to mention the girls.

Some interesting perspectives. I guess the view can be taken that Male Sports have been pretty damn good over there the last 9 years. I would be curious to know how many Schools have gone to State Championships in multiple Sports in that time period.
In the last 9 years St. Francis has had ONE losing Season in Football. This was last year. Compared to the Powerhouse WWS which has had losing seasons 3 out of the last 5 years. In this time period. St. Francis won a 5A State Championship and Quarter Final game in 6A. In this time perioid beat Montini arguably the best program around 3 different times. Not too many Schools can claim that.
Basketball was on a Pretty Good Run for 10 Years. Including a Super sectional Run 3 years ago where they came 2 Pts from Taking a Trip Down State.
Baseball has gone to the State Finals 2 out of last 4 Years with a 2nd Place Finish and a 4 th Place Finish. Obviously one of best Runs in the State. Last year had to survive the IHSA penalty success penalty clause and move up to 4A because went to State two out of 3 years.
Boys Volleyball has finished ranked in the State's Top Ten 4 out of last 5 years. Soccer, Track and Golf pretty successful.
There seems to be a two year period of some down athletes in Football. Same can be said for WWS, St. Rita and many other top programs.
Can things be better? Of course every School can improve. However, I am around a lot of Schools and can't find too many that have experienced the success the last 9 years in Boys Sports. Not to mention the girls.

Two schools in this thread referred to as competition for Student Athletes are Benet and Marmion.
I would assume a program is based on more than one year. So the same time period for both Schools in Football compared to SFHS.
Benet has had 3 losing seasons out of the last 9. Win totals of 2,3,5,1,11,6,6,6,8, and 10.
Marmion has had 3 as well. Win totals of 3,9,12,5,4,8,6,3, and 6.
Once again.. SFHS has had one losing season last 9. Win totals of 13,7,6,8,5,5,10,5, and 1.
As an outsider I see SFHS has had a bad year. Might be bad next year as well. However, to say they can't or won't compete for athletes against these schools doesn't make sense. Over the last 9 years has had 60 wins compared to 58 for Benet and 56 for Marmion.
With that success and with the success in other Sports like Baseball it looks like St. Francis would be the choice for the incoming athlete.

Two schools in this thread referred to as competition for Student Athletes are Benet and Marmion.
I would assume a program is based on more than one year. So the same time period for both Schools in Football compared to SFHS.
Benet has had 3 losing seasons out of the last 9. Win totals of 2,3,5,1,11,6,6,6,8, and 10.
Marmion has had 3 as well. Win totals of 3,9,12,5,4,8,6,3, and 6.
Once again.. SFHS has had one losing season last 9. Win totals of 13,7,6,8,5,5,10,5, and 1.
As an outsider I see SFHS has had a bad year. Might be bad next year as well. However, to say they can't or won't compete for athletes against these schools doesn't make sense. Over the last 9 years has had 60 wins compared to 58 for Benet and 56 for Marmion.
With that success and with the success in other Sports like Baseball it looks like St. Francis would be the choice for the incoming athlete.
I agree with a lot of that but it is dependent on the right coaching hire. They are in quite a hole right now in football. They can turn this around in 2-3 years but some stability at the top of the football program is a must.

Of Course need the right Coach. I think we can agree Coaching there seems to be very good in many Sports. Belichek would not win there next year in Football. However, little luck can win 4-5 games . Some athletes at the Lower levels and have a chance to build it up again. One thing that needs to happen with the New Coach is to keep the 'Crazies" away from him. You need tough kids. Unfortunately the toughness comes from the home more so than the coach. Can't teach heart. ALL successful teams I have seen and been around usually have a group of kids in a class who have heart and are committed. Does Francis have those kids now?

I'll do Naz for you Football 2 losing season in last 10 years 2 State Titles 5A and 6A. Baseball - no losing season 6 sectionals 4 super sectionals 3 top 4 finishes

Yes.. Very Cool!! I would throw Montini in there as well for Football and Wrestling.
Nazareth, Montini and Francis. Pretty good Company. Even more Ironic is that Francis has knocked both of those out of the Playoffs in Football the last 9 years and each one of them has knocked Francis out.
The main point is that is very good Company to keep in the world of High School athletics. To follow the thread above and say how Francis is not a Boys athletic School or cant compete with the Likes of Benet, Marmion, ect.. Is just wrong. There many schools in Illinois and recent History show very few have had the success Francis has in Boy Sports. If they are bad what does that say about the other 1.000 schools? Seems like a strange discussion to me.
Facts are facts

Im not buying it. 10 years ago, Naz was a non contender. The schools football program has been revitalized. 10 years ago Glenbard West was the same way. You build a culture, get some players and the school can be turned around. Have some continuity in the coaching staff and watch the football program.

Both schools have stud coaches that have stood the test of time and look where they're at now!

Two different ways to skin the cat. West keeps their kids in the building, rarely lose a kid to the catholic schools/ Naz has out "recruited" (sorry?) everyone in the Western Suburbs to become a power.

A program doesnt have to stay in its current state, do things the right way and watch it flourish. Get someone at St. Francis that will STAY and build a program and watch!

Im not buying it. 10 years ago, Naz was a non contender. The schools football program has been revitalized. 10 years ago Glenbard West was the same way. You build a culture, get some players and the school can be turned around. Have some continuity in the coaching staff and watch the football program.

Both schools have stud coaches that have stood the test of time and look where they're at now!

Two different ways to skin the cat. West keeps their kids in the building, rarely lose a kid to the catholic schools/ Naz has out "recruited" (sorry?) everyone in the Western Suburbs to become a power.

A program doesnt have to stay in its current state, do things the right way and watch it flourish. Get someone at St. Francis that will STAY and build a program and watch!

Yes.. Very Cool!! I would throw Montini in there as well for Football and Wrestling.
Nazareth, Montini and Francis. Pretty good Company. Even more Ironic is that Francis has knocked both of those out of the Playoffs in Football the last 9 years and each one of them has knocked Francis out.
The main point is that is very good Company to keep in the world of High School athletics. To follow the thread above and say how Francis is not a Boys athletic School or cant compete with the Likes of Benet, Marmion, ect.. Is just wrong. There many schools in Illinois and recent History show very few have had the success Francis has in Boy Sports. If they are bad what does that say about the other 1.000 schools? Seems like a strange discussion to me.
Facts are facts
The point is Francis is very inconsistent with football. I can't remember Montini, Marmion or Naz going 1-8! Next year will be worse. % current seniors! Possibly no varsity??11 Francis has no consistency in football. The name of the movie is "Friday Night Lights!" Not tuesday night volleyball. Communities come together over football more than any other sport. I went to the state baseball championship and besides players families there was little school presence. I'm sorry Francis needs to go recruit student/athletes. Benet had 535 take the test for 315 seats, Fenwick had 505 for 300 seats, francis had 175 for 200 seats. Do the math.

Wonder, you sound like an administrator rationalizing a weak football team.

I believe who ever St. Francis hires for a head coach, he will have to have total backing by the administration! If not, it won't make a difference who they hire. If what you are all saying is true about the administration not backing the football coach, who would even want the job?

Benet was 1-8 in 2011 and didn't win a game in the state of Illinois.

The point is Francis is very inconsistent with football. I can't remember Montini, Marmion or Naz going 1-8! Next year will be worse. % current seniors! Possibly no varsity??11 Francis has no consistency in football. The name of the movie is "Friday Night Lights!" Not tuesday night volleyball. Communities come together over football more than any other sport. I went to the state baseball championship and besides players families there was little school presence. I'm sorry Francis needs to go recruit student/athletes. Benet had 535 take the test for 315 seats, Fenwick had 505 for 300 seats, francis had 175 for 200 seats. Do the math.

Wonder, you sound like an administrator rationalizing a weak football team.

Haha I wish I made administrator money. My point is that with a good coach that stays for some period of time @ St Francis, who unlike a public school can go out and get their own kids... there can be longevity and success. That's all.

I believe who ever St. Francis hires for a head coach, he will have to have total backing by the administration! If not, it won't make a difference who they hire. If what you are all saying is true about the administration not backing the football coach, who would even want the job?
That's where we are today.

Anyway, enough argument. Anyone have any idea who's put in for this job? I know a guy from Montini put in... any other big time guys?

I'm not sure what you are not buying? Just looking at the numbers and facts last 9 years. Also looking at all the Boy athletic success Francis has had last few years in all Sports. Wasn't up to debate if base success on winning and going to State Championships.
Regarding GW and Naz. Awesome Stuff. I know the GW staff well and have been involved some. However, trust me it will eventually change. Look at WWS, St. Rita and JCA.. Programs pretty down. It goes in streaks. I read all these posts on Nazareth and recruiting ect.. "Not sure if they do". However, not sure if they feel extremely happy on their year last year. They finish under .500 in Conference. They have 6 wins total including a Playoff win. Those wins include beating 3 Inner City Chicago teams and two other teams with one win each. I am not criticizing Nazareth.
What I am pointing out that this is High School Football and not the SEC, Big 12, or Big Ten. Things change rapidly and not the fault of WWS, St. Rita, JCA when it goes down. There will be HUGE changes in the Landscape of Football next few years with Athletes who were always a given to play are now choosing other sports. The traditional Powerhouses are all options for a quick change.
No Clue on Francis and who takes the test. Not really a concern of mine either. I was just pointing out all the success I have seen there last 9 years. The one constant I have seen at Francis are the cast of complainers who I have seen come and go thru the years over there. Pretty good stuff. Highly entertaining. The Hiltopper nation thanks them for the entertainment.

On a more serious note from myself, are their any applicants from the players on that St. Francis state title team?

I'm not sure what you are not buying? Just looking at the numbers and facts last 9 years. Also looking at all the Boy athletic success Francis has had last few years in all Sports. Wasn't up to debate if base success on winning and going to State Championships.
Regarding GW and Naz. Awesome Stuff. I know the GW staff well and have been involved some. However, trust me it will eventually change. Look at WWS, St. Rita and JCA.. Programs pretty down. It goes in streaks. I read all these posts on Nazareth and recruiting ect.. "Not sure if they do". However, not sure if they feel extremely happy on their year last year. They finish under .500 in Conference. They have 6 wins total including a Playoff win. Those wins include beating 3 Inner City Chicago teams and two other teams with one win each. I am not criticizing Nazareth.
What I am pointing out that this is High School Football and not the SEC, Big 12, or Big Ten. Things change rapidly and not the fault of WWS, St. Rita, JCA when it goes down. There will be HUGE changes in the Landscape of Football next few years with Athletes who were always a given to play are now choosing other sports. The traditional Powerhouses are all options for a quick change.
No Clue on Francis and who takes the test. Not really a concern of mine either. I was just pointing out all the success I have seen there last 9 years. The one constant I have seen at Francis are the cast of complainers who I have seen come and go thru the years over there. Pretty good stuff. Highly entertaining. The Hiltopper nation thanks them for the entertainment.

Naz "not sure if they do" (recruit). Absolutely they do. As sure as there are lumps in the cat box, they do.

Naz sends people out to the Naperville Patriots 14-U football team. They send a bus out as far as Aurora. I know 3 kids on that Naperville Patriots team who were being recruited by Naz as 8th graders. They live in Aurora, ended up at Aurora Christian.

I also know an Oswego family whose 8th grade son plays football/wrestles was ready to go to Naz until Montini came calling. Now a freshman, that kid gets dropped off at the McDonalds at 111th and Route 59 and each morning at 6:25 AM the Montini bus picks him up.

I am not suggesting St. Francis go to those lengths to attract student athletes to their school. They need to hyper-focus on Wheaton. Lock that down tight like a vice. Then expand their influence.

Reactions: Gene K.
Naz "not sure if they do" (recruit). Absolutely they do. As sure as there are lumps in the cat box, they do.

Naz sends people out to the Naperville Patriots 14-U football team. They send a bus out as far as Aurora. I know 3 kids on that Naperville Patriots team who were being recruited by Naz as 8th graders. They live in Aurora, ended up at Aurora Christian.

I also know an Oswego family whose 8th grade son plays football/wrestles was ready to go to Naz until Montini came calling. Now a freshman, that kid gets dropped off at the McDonalds at 111th and Route 59 and each morning at 6:25 AM the Montini bus picks him up.

I am not suggesting St. Francis go to those lengths to attract student athletes to their school. They need to hyper-focus on Wheaton. Lock that down tight like a vice. Then expand their influence.

There is no mcdonalds at 111th and Route 59

There is a McDonald's in between 95th and 103rd off route 59 and another McDonald's further south on route 59 near 127th.

I'm guessing you meant the mcdonalds between 95th and 103rd? Coming from Oswego - you would come the back way on wolf road and hit 248th then head down 103rd to connect with route 59.

I live around here and most kids go to either Neuqua or Waubonsie for public. Benet pulls from this area as well and is the primary private school pulling from this area. I only know of a couple kids that went to montini from this far south in Naperville/Aurora. If montini is sending a bus for these kids - 103rd is the most logical pick up spot for south Naperville/North Plainfield kids and anyone from Oswego trying to catch a ride.

PPS - not sure what time Montini starts in the morning but Neuqua and Dub V both start at 7:25am and the Buss for Dub V comes at 6:35am for pick up. It's only 6 miles to Waubonsie but a couple stops need to be built in for more kids after the 635am pick up and the traffic on 248th/Wolf with Eola construction makes the 6 mile morning trip by car about 20 to 25 minutes (I've driven it in years past when my kids missed the buss and before my oldest got his license). If montini starts around 7:30 as well,....the Buss will be hard pressed but should make it to Lisle/montini on time 99percent of the time if pick up at 6:25am at the 103rd mcdonalds.

Last edited:
Looking forward to see if they go after the Montini guy. I know he left Montini somewhat disgruntled? Would be a fun rivalry with him and the new guy in Lombard a la Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler lol

There is no mcdonalds at 111th and Route 59

There is a McDonald's in between 95th and 103rd off route 59 and another McDonald's further south on route 59 near 127th.

I'm guessing you meant the mcdonalds between 95th and 103rd? Coming from Oswego - you would come the back way on wolf road and hit 248th then head down 103rd to connect with route 59.

I live around here and most kids go to either Neuqua or Waubonsie for public. Benet pulls from this area as well and is the primary private school pulling from this area. I only know of a couple kids that went to montini from this far south in Naperville/Aurora. If montini is sending a bus for these kids - 103rd is the most logical pick up spot for south Naperville/North Plainfield kids and anyone from Oswego trying to catch a ride.

PPS - not sure what time Montini starts in the morning but Neuqua and Dub V both start at 7:25am and the Buss for Dub V comes at 6:35am for pick up. It's only 6 miles to Waubonsie but a couple stops need to be built in for more kids after the 635am pick up and the traffic on 248th/Wolf with Eola construction makes the 6 mile morning trip by car about 20 to 25 minutes (I've driven it in years past when my kids missed the buss and before my oldest got his license). If montini starts around 7:30 as well,....the Buss will be hard pressed but should make it to Lisle/montini on time 99percent of the time if pick up at 6:25am at the 103rd mcdonalds.

Disgruntled is the wrong word. They had some respectful disagreements on program philosophy.

Looking forward to see if they go after the Montini guy. I know he left Montini somewhat disgruntled? Would be a fun rivalry with him and the new guy in Lombard a la Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler lol
Who? I thought that the SF guys were talking about Casey, at least I assumed. Who are you talking about, Casey is still there right?

He wasnt with the team last year, he was up north coaching in Michigan w/ another Montini Alum. But is a Montini Alum himself and has been with the program for years prior to last year on all levels.

Reactions: Gene K.
Since 1978 there have been 12 head coaches. That's an average of about three years a coach. In between 1978 and 1992 there were four coaches but I don't know who was around before 1978.

The best people they've had are Greg Purnell who won 5A in 2008 and Mike Fitzgerald who coached SF to the semifinals in 2014.Outside of that, the guys who SF have hired weren't worth a crap. Its a long running joke in the conference before SF went to the CCL that SF had always screwed up when hiring head football coaches.

I hope SF gets this hire right. Its a good time of the year to hire and I think there are some good coaches out there that they can pick from.
Wasn't Pete Ventrelli (previously of Downers North) in there somewhere?

Why would a kid from Oswego go to school in Lombard, that is insane. Plenty of good private schools closer. Just don't get it, and the traffic is terrible that time of day.

Last edited:
Reactions: USD24
Why would a kid from Oswego go to school in Lombard, that is insane. Plenty of good private schools closer. Just don't get it,

1. Perhaps a parent works in Lombard or close to it.
2. Perhaps one or both parents attended Montini.
3. Perhaps there is a tradition of LaSallian Christian Brothers education in the family.
4. Perhaps they just like the school colors and nickname.

You don't have to get it.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Casey staying put, have it on good authority that Dobry put in for the job at Francis.
Wasn't Pete Ventrelli (previously of Downers North) in there somewhere?

Hanson,

Ventrelli was never the head coach. He came to the school to teach social studies after he retired at DGN a few years back. I think he helped out around 2004 or 2005 for a year but he only stuck around for a year or two.

I think he permanently retired a year or two ago.

1. Perhaps a parent works in Lombard or close to it.
2. Perhaps one or both parents attended Montini.
3. Perhaps there is a tradition of LaSallian Christian Brothers education in the family.
4. Perhaps they just like the school colors and nickname.

You don't have to get it.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.
If the parents work in Lombard, he would not be taking a bus from north Plainfield so that's probably not it. I think you are on to something with the school colors.

Casey staying put, have it on good authority that Dobry put in for the job at Francis.

That threw me off too because I thought a while back one of the St. Francis posters was hoping for Aurellio to go for the position.

If I were Dobry I would stick with Grand Rapids West Catholic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT