ADVERTISEMENT

JJ McCarthy to draft

As a Michigan fanatic I'm sad to see him go but he deserves it. He'll go 1st round. He's smart enough to handle pro game. Skills need more refining, but, he has proven doubters wrong a lot lately. Imagine NFL guys will be interested in his ability to simply WIN.

Reactions: ChiTown Chuggers
No surprise here with Harbaugh likely gone.
Seems like a very intelligent kid with the ability to learn and develop. Would not surprise me to see him be a very good pro someday.

Reactions: LakeCtyNewt
I think he has a great floor. A decade in the league as a quality backup

Am I off when I say that any team that takes him is settling in for a 3-4 year project??

Rams would be a good spot for JJ, but I wonder if they are back to having their normal 7 picks yet. Stafford is not getting younger, but there should be a 3 year overlap plus McVay and their knack for finding day 2 and 3 receivers.

Rams would be a good spot for JJ, but I wonder if they are back to having their normal 7 picks yet. Stafford is not getting younger, but there should be a 3 year overlap plus McVay and their knack for finding day 2 and 3 receivers.
They do. Plus 3 in the 6th and 2 in the 7th

Probably predicted as the 6th best QB in this class but he is also younger than any of them. He turns 21 this week!

He reminds me of Jalen Brunson. The kid flat out wins and is a leader. Might take him a few years to become a star but seems to have the work ethic to achieve his goals. I would not hate it if the Bears took him in the 3rd to 4th round but he will most likely be off the board at that point.

I’m happy he gets his chance but I don’t know if he has NFL chops. Maye, Williams, Nix and Daniels will all go ahead of him. Likely a day two pick, maybe even day 3. He’ll make a roster but I don’t know if he has the full game yet.
Day 3, lol. 0% chance

Lots of McCarthy doubters in this thread, I’m quite the opposite. He will crush the combine / interview process and be picked top 25 and be a very good starter for years
What did he do at Michigan that has you so confident in his abilities in the NFL?

What did he do at Michigan that has you so confident in his abilities in the NFL?
What was his completion %? What was his touchdown to interception ratio? What was his record as a starter. If he played in a pass happy offense such as Washington you don’t think he’s out up ridiculous numbers? What were his #s at naz? What was his record at naz ? 77-5 past 6 years, I like winners that don’t turn the ball over

Reactions: Gene K.
What was his completion %? What was his touchdown to interception ratio? What was his record as a starter. If he played in a pass happy offense such as Washington you don’t think he’s out up ridiculous numbers? What were his #s at naz? What was his record at naz ? 77-5 past 6 years, I like winners that don’t turn the ball over
You know who else has a great record in college and a great completion %?

Reactions: 4Afan
Yes, he wins, but how much of that was due to the running game and defense?

His completion percentage is high because he wasn't asked to throw the ball and when he was he wasn't exactly firing it down field, his longest completion on the season was 54 yards. In the B1G championship against Iowa he had 22 completions but only 147 yards. He only had 8 total passes in the PSU game.

He may have a successful NFL career but at Michigan he was a game manager. I can't think of one game over the past two years where he put the team on his shoulders and went out and won the game.

Lol no one is looking at what he did in high school. The problem he has is the games where they played the best competition he tended to throw the least amount of passes, can he do it maybe but there isn’t much to evaluate him on. Also no one cares about “winners” it’s totally overrated in the NFL Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes and Brock Purdy were all around 500 or well below in college.

His completion percentage is high because he wasn't asked to throw the ball and when he was he wasn't exactly firing it down field, his longest completion on the season was 54 yards. In the B1G championship against Iowa he had 22 completions but only 147 yards. He only had 8 total passes in the PSU game.

He may have a successful NFL career but at Michigan he was a game manager. I can't think of one game over the past two years where he put the team on his shoulders and went out and won the game.
Well the good news for JJ is your opinion on him means absolutely nothing The likes of Mel Kiper etc have him anywhere from #3-6 at his position and after the combine GMs will all feel the same Oh and leading the NCAA in 1st down rushes at his position isn’t too shabby either

Reactions: ChiTown Chuggers

Rose Bowl 17/21 227 yards 3 tds zero interceptions. 27-1 at Michigan. 3x big ten champ 2x all big ten … 2023 big ten Qb of the year Top 10 heisman Oh and national champ. Shhhhhhh

Rose Bowl 17/21 227 yards 3 tds zero interceptions. 27-1 at Michigan. 3x big ten champ 2x all big ten … 2023 big ten Qb of the year Top 10 heisman Oh and national champ. Shhhhhhh
Other than the rose bowl stats, so what?

Everyone on the team is a 3x B1G champ and national champion.

Record doesn't really matter either. Examples have been given of those with great college records that aren't exactly great in the NFL as well as those who are succeeding in the league who had .500 records on college.

His RB also finished ahead of him in Heisman voting as well as 5 other QBs.

I'm not saying he's not capable, just that we haven't seen it. NFL teams don't know if they can rely on him to throw the ball 30-40 times and be successful because he hasn'tdone it. Unless he blows the combine or pro day out of the water there's just too many unknowns to use a high pick on him.

Best situation for him is to go to a team who isn't in dire need of a QB and he can sit and learn for a year or so.

Reactions: USD24
Honestly none of those matter other than the stats and even that doesn't include the bad int that was overturned on the first series of the Rose Bowl. You should have thrown in he is nice kid and has a great smile to go with being a B10 champ.

5700 yards passing 44 tds. 9 interceptions. 68% completion %. 500+ yards rushing with 5 rushing touchdowns in 2 years as a starter. Shhhhhhhhhh

5700 yards passing 44 tds. 9 interceptions. 68% completion %. 500+ yards rushing with 5 rushing touchdowns in 2 years as a starter. Shhhhhhhhhh
Absolutely impressive but we all know college stats don’t mean NFL success….again I’m not sure what he ends up being. I do know he will play for a long time and make a ton of money. I’m rooting for the kid.

Is that your comp for him?

Mine is Tyson Bagent after the way Michigan used him down the stretch. Maybe he was injured? That would make more sense as to why he never threw the ball down field.

Just for comparison Bo Nix who most people rank just ahead of him 2 year totals.

8101 yards, 74TDs, 10ints, 74% completion. 744yards rushing, 10 TDs

Which breaks down to under 200 yards per game and 1.5 TD's.

You're also leaving out how easy Michigan's schedule has been. Over the last two years against ranked opponents he averaged 183 yards and 1 TD per game.

Also, 6 times over the last two years the leading RB had more rushing yards than JJ had passing yards in a game.

Mine is Tyson Bagent after the way Michigan used him down the stretch. Maybe he was injured? That would make more sense as to why he never threw the ball down field.
You think his best comp is an undrafted free agent from a D2 school?

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
You think his best comp is an undrafted free agent from a D2 school?
If we are getting the QB from the last six games, we're not getting an NFL starter. If he was playing hurt that would be a different story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT