ADVERTISEMENT

Harvard Captain

USD24

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Joliet
Congratulations to Matt Koran from Joliet West. He was named captain of the Harvard football team. Harvard only names one captain per year. Quite an honor.

Very cool.
He was also a really good wrestler and baseball player.

This is a huge honor. For many of these young men, they will never play a down of football professionally, but that is certainly not the point at Harvard.

To get an honor like this is almost like being named to the supreme court of football. This will be something that this young man will remember for ever and ever. Congrats to him and his family.

I remember covering Matt's signing ceremony and telling JT West HC jason Aubry that "this kid could run for President someday" and I still feel that way

To me, this is why we do what we do. To see the kids we cover turn into kids we root for. No matter what school or what position they played, this is part of the reason why I turn on my TV every Saturday for a college game - to say I remember watching that kid play.

D-1, FCS, D2, D3, NAIA, doesn't matter. College football is college football.

That's why I will be watching college football this weekend. In the Army-Navy game Ill be rooting for Army players AJ Schurr form Libertyville, Ahmad Bradshaw from Brooks, Tony and Michael Giovanelli from Chatham Glenwood, Chevaughn Lawrence from O; Fallon, Terry Baggett from Whitney Young, Matt Hugenberg from Quincy Notre Dame, Mike Houghton from Prospect, Tom Shover from Wheeling, Evan Finnane from St. Ed;'s, and of course a MONK in head coach Jeff Monken.

This and the tons of former Illinois HS kids playing in the FCS playoffs and beyond.

This is why us writers do what we do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT