ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Predictions-Week 3

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
Six Friday night contests, with one CS8 vs Big 12 game (Lanphier at Champaign Central). The game of the week is SHG at Jacksonville.

Lanphier (0-2) at Champaign Central (0-2)
After two weeks, Lanphier has been outscored 118-8. Champaign Central has experienced a 104-13 deficit. Central has lost to Normal Community and Normal West, both state ranked teams. Lanphier has lost to Lincoln and Chatham. Chatham is ranked in 6A. I expect the Big 12 to get the win and move ahead 3-2 over the CS8 in non-conference play. Lanphier's best chance for a win could be next week against Eisenhower. Champaign Central 34 Lanphier 12

Southeast (0-2) at U High (1-1)
U High has played well in beating Springfield and were competitive in a 35-17 loss at SHG. Southeast lost 50-0 to MacArthur in Week 1 and 24-12 to Peoria Richwoods at home in what was a great chance to get their new coach a win. I think U High gets a pretty easy home victory. U High 39 Southeast 8

Eisenhower (0-2) at Chatham (2-0)
Chatham put up 77 points last week against Lanphier. Eisenhower is a similar opponent, who has been outscored 97-12 so far this season. Chatham should score early and often and get their reserves plenty of playing time. Eisenhower gets Lanphier at home next week in one of their best chances to get a win this season. Chatham 59 Eisenhower 0

Lincoln (2-0) at Springfield (0-2)
Lincoln, backed by the Carson twins at RB, has put up over 40 points in both games. Springfield is a step up in competition for them after playing Lanphier and Eisenhower. The Senators badly want to avoid an 0-3 start, which would make their playoff hopes start appear unlikely. The Senators offense was excellent for a half against U High, but they struggled in the second half and the entire game against Rochester. For Springfield to have a chance, they will need to contain the Railers running attack and sustain some long drives on offense. Lincoln seems to be farther along at this point. Lincoln 37 Springfield 19

Rochester (2-0) at MacArthur (1-1) Played at former Stephen Decatur HS
After facing 2 pass-first offenses, the Rockets travel to Decatur, where they will see a running QB and a highly touted Freshman RB who has gone for over 350 yards in two games. Mac had a very tough loss at Jacksonville last week 35-34, when the Crimson scored on a QB sneak in the last minute. Mac ended up with the ball but, after huddling, the referees ruled that the QB had crossed the plane before losing control. Mac had led 28-14 at halftime. Rochester played well both offensively and defensively last week beating Springfield 58-0. The Rockets continue to split snaps with QB's Bryan Zulauf and Eli Carlson. RB Nolan Mrozowski had a big game last week. Mac will need a better defensive performance to stay close. Hopefully, the Rockets will erase the memory of their 2014 loss which was also played at Stephen Decatur. Rochester 48 MacArthur 16

SHG (1-1) at Jacksonville (2-0)
The game of the week should draw a big crowd. Last year, Jacksonville kept the ball away from SHG almost the entire 1st quarter and led 7-0. They trailed only 28-14 at half before the Cyclones poured it on with the final score being 55-14. Coming off an important come from behind win last week, can the Crimsons get their first win against the Cyclones since the 2011 playoffs and go to 3-0? The rest of the conference will be watching this result closely to gauge both team's strength. After a rough Week 1, SHG played better Week 2 at home topping an improved U High 35-17. The Cyclones showed the potential for big plays both running and passing against U High. Jacksonville has only attempted 5 passes after two games. SHG would love to contain the running of RB Mitchell and QB Moore and force the Crimsons to throw the ball. The Jacksonville defense gave up multiple big plays last week to Mac, mostly long runs. They need to put pressure on QB Hanauer and not allow the Cyclones to score on short 1-2 play drives. I think this is very close, but the Cyclones prevail. SHG 31 Jacksonville 27

Last edited:
Six Friday night contests, with one CS8 vs Big 12 game (Lanphier at Champaign Central). The game of the week is SHG at Jacksonville.

Lanphier (0-2) at Champaign Central (0-2)
After two weeks, Lanphier has been outscored 118-8. Champaign Central has faced a 104-13 deficit. Central has lost to Normal Community and Normal West, both state ranked teams. Lanphier has lost to Lincoln and Chatham. Chatham is ranked in 6A. I expect the Big 12 to get the win and move ahead 3-2 over the CS8 in non-conference play. Lanphier's best chance for a win could be next week against Eisenhower. Champaign Central 34 Lanphier 12

Southeast (0-2) at U High (1-1)
U High has played well in beating Springfield and were competitive in a 35-17 loss at SHG. Southeast lost 50-0 to MacArthur in Week 1 and 24-12 to Peoria Richwoods at home in what was a great chance to get their new coach a win. I think U High gets a pretty easy home victory. U High 39 Southeast 8

Eisenhower (0-2) at Chatham (2-0)
Chatham put up 77 points last week against Lanphier. Eisenhower is a similar opponent, who has been outscored 97-12 so far this season. Chatham should score early and often and get their reserves plenty of playing time. Eisenhower gets Lanphier at home next week in one of their best chances to get a win this season. Chatham 59 Eisenhower 0

Lincoln (2-0) at Springfield (0-2)
Lincoln, backed by the Carson twins at RB, has put up over 40 points in both games. Springfield is a step up in competition for them after playing Lanphier and Eisenhower. The Senators badly want to avoid an 0-3 start, which would make their playoff hopes start to be unlikely. The Senators offense was excellent for a half against U High but struggled in the second half and the entire game against Rochester. For Springfield to have a chance, they will need to contain the Railers running attack and sustain some long drives on offense. Lincoln seems to be farther along at this point. Lincoln 37 Springfield 19

Rochester (2-0) at MacArthur (1-1) Played at former Stephen Decatur HS
After facing 2 pass-first offenses, the Rockets travel to Decatur, where they will see a running QB and a highly touted Freshman RB who has gone for over 350 yards in two games. Mac had a very tough loss at Jacksonville last week 35-34, when the Crimson scored on a QB sneak in the last minute. Mac ended up with the ball but, after huddling, the referees ruled that the QB had crossed the plane before losing control. Mac had led 28-14 at halftime. Rochester played well both offensively and defensively last week beating Springfield 58-0. The Rockets continue to split snaps with QB's Bryan Zulauf and Eli Carlson. RB Nolan Mrozowski had a big game last week. Mac will need a better defensive performance to stay close. Hopefully, the Rockets will erase the memory of their 2014 loss which was also played at Stephen Decatur. Rochester 48 MacArthur 16

SHG (1-1) at Jacksonville (2-0)
The game of the week should draw a big crowd. Last year, Jacksonville kept the ball away from SHG almost the entire 1st quarter and led 7-0. They trailed only 28-14 at half before the Cyclones poured it on with the final score being 55-14. Coming off an important come from behind win last week, can the Crimsons get their first win against the Cyclones since the 2011 playoffs and go to 3-0? The rest of the conference will be watching this result closely to gauge both team's strength. After a rough Week 1, SHG played better Week 2 at home topping an improved U High 35-17. The Cyclones showed the potential for big plays both running and passing against U High. Jacksonville has only attempted 5 passes after two games. SHG would love to contain the running of RB Mitchell and QB Moore and force the Crimsons to throw the ball. The Jacksonville defense gave up multiple big plays last week to Mac, mostly on long runs. They need to put pressure on QB Hanauer and not allow the Cyclones to score on short 1-2 play drives. I think this is close, but the Cyclones prevail. SHG 31 Jacksonville 27
I'm sure neither the SHG nor the J'ville coaching staff is looking at the game film of the 1st quarter last year!!!!

The Channel 1450 Week 3 picks are in. They have chosen to win Champaign Central (3-0), U High (3-0), Chatham (3-0), Lincoln (2-1), Rochester (3-0), and Jacksonville (2-1).

Reactions: net-se
SJR Staff Predictions
Champaign Central 35 Lanphier 12
U High 44 Southeast 8
Chatham 56 Eisenhower 6
Springfield 21 Lincoln 20
Rochester 49 MacArthur 14
SHG 35 Jacksonville 28

Reactions: cigaros and net-se
South County Weekly Mr. Pick'Em Predictions
Champaign Central 22 Lanphier 16
U High 41 Southeast 14
Chatham 64 Eisenhower 0
Lincoln 32 Springfield 17
Rochester 35 MacArthur 13
Jacksonville 28 SHG 27

• Wow
Reactions: net-se and cigaros
Critical game for Lincoln tonight to keep the drive for the playoffs on track. They come in favored for this game and will be favored in games 4 and 5. Currently, first five opponents are a combined 0-10. Weeks 6 thru 9 the opponents are 7-1.

Lincoln on its return to CS8 was gifted a schedule with historical 3 of the poor teams in the Conference and avoid SHG and Mac. I am not sure how the schedules were drawn up. I did notice that the 3 Springfield Public Schools all play each other. Not sure if the district still recognizes the public city champ for FB.

Reactions: rocketnation
Critical game for Lincoln tonight to keep the drive for the playoffs on track. They come in favored for this game and will be favored in games 4 and 5. Currently, first five opponents are a combined 0-10. Weeks 6 thru 9 the opponents are 7-1.

Lincoln on its return to CS8 was gifted a schedule with historical 3 of the poor teams in the Conference and avoid SHG and Mac. I am not sure how the schedules were drawn up. I did notice that the 3 Springfield Public Schools all play each other. Not sure if the district still recognizes the public city champ for FB.
If Springfield can defeat Lincoln tonight, the Week 8 Lincoln-U High game will be huge for both teams. It could put one team in the playoffs and keep the other at 4 wins.

All.... Cyclones 51 Crimsons 10. A pleasant win. Jacksonville qb injured early. Crimsons are big and strong but need to develop a passing game. SHG run defense for the second week in a row improving. Game mistakes by the Cycs continue but are less. Ratsy

All Finals
Champaign Central 55 Lanphier 14. Another one-sided loss by the Lions to a team that had been outscored 104-13 after two games.

U High 42 Southeast 26. Although they lost, it's good to see the Spartans score some points and stay somewhat competitive. U High did lead comfortably 34-7 after 3 quarters.

Chatham 58 Eisenhower 0. Did Chatham deliberately miss an XP just to keep my prediction from being correct?

Springfield 29 Lincoln 12. Hats off to the Senators. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Springfield had to win this one to keep their playoff hopes viable. After a bad second half against U High in Week 1 and a Week 2 blowout against Rochester, the Senators came through big time tonight. Holding a Lincoln offense with speedy twin RB's to a single score is highly impressive. Lincoln's other TD was on a Pick 6. Major kudos to the Springfield defense. This result makes next week's game against Chatham much more interesting. Lincoln should be 4-1 after Week 5 but making the playoffs are now no longer a lock. A Week 8 game against U High could put one team in the playoffs and keep the other out.

Rochester 49 MacArthur 21. There was plenty not to love about the Rockets performance. Way too many penalties in the 1st half, the special teams gave up a Kickoff return TD, and Mac Freshman RB Johnson-Cook got loose once for a 65-yard TD breaking multiple arm tackles. Still, the 1st team defense only gave up one score and forced three turnovers. Bryan Zulauf threw for 4 TD's, two to Henry Buecker. Nolan Mrozowski also had 2 rushing and 1 receiving score. Mac has a physical offensive line, some decent receivers, and both their QB and Johnson-Cook are over 200 pounds and hard to solo tackle. What puzzled me about their offense though is that they run it at an extremely slow pace.

SHG 51 Jacksonville 10. A statement game for the Cyclones who proclaimed to the rest of the conference that they are still an extremely dangerous team. The only score I heard at the Mac game was 28-10 SHG at or near half. Heard that SHG had both solid running and passing efforts and the 1450 highlights showed one RB had 5 TD's. The margin of the defeat has to be disappointing for the Crimsons, who travel to Rocket Booster Stadium next week. Hopefully, their QB is not seriously injured.

Last edited:
Nice win for the Rocket Freshman over Edwardsville 18-8.

Quite a few of these kids will get meaningful varsity time next season.

Nice win for the Rocket Freshman over Edwardsville 18-8.

Quite a few of these kids will get meaningful varsity time next season.
The Rocket 8th grade and freshmen teams may be the most talented in the whole Rochester system. I believe the 8th graders haven't lost a JFL game since 3rd grade. Lots of size and athleticism on its way up.

All Finals
Champaign Central 55 Lanphier 14. Another one-sided loss by the Lions to a team that had been outscored 104-13 after two games.

U High 42 Southeast 26. Although they lost, it's good to see the Spartans score some points and stay somewhat competitive. U High did lead comfortably 34-7 after 3 quarters.

Chatham 58 Eisenhower 0. Did Chatham deliberately miss an XP just to keep my prediction from being correct?

Springfield 29 Lincoln 12. Hats off to the Senators. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Springfield had to win this one to keep their playoff hopes viable. After a bad second half against U High in Week 1 and a Week 2 blowout against Rochester, the Senators came through big time tonight. Holding a Lincoln offense with speedy twin RB's to a single score is highly impressive. Lincoln's other TD was on a Pick 6. Major kudos to the Springfield defense. This result makes next week's game against Chatham much more interesting. Lincoln should be 4-1 after Week 5 but making the playoffs are now no longer a lock. A Week 8 game against U High could put one team in the playoffs and keep the other out.

Rochester 49 MacArthur 21. There was plenty not to love about the Rockets performance. Way too many penalties in the 1st half, the special teams gave up a Kickoff return TD, and Mac Freshman RB Johnson-Cook got loose once for a 65-yard TD breaking multiple arm tackles. Still, the 1st team defense only gave up one score and forced three turnovers. Bryan Zulauf threw for 4 TD's, two to Henry Buecker. Nolan Mrozowski also had 2 rushing and 1 receiving score. Mac has a physical offensive line, some decent receivers, and both their QB and Johnson-Cook are over 200 pounds and hard to solo tackle. What puzzled me about their offense though is that they run it at an extremely slow pace.

SHG 51 Jacksonville 10. A statement game for the Cyclones who proclaimed to the rest of the conference that they are still an extremely dangerous team. The only score I heard at the Mac game was 28-10 SHG at or near half. Heard that SHG had both solid running and passing efforts and the 1450 highlights showed one RB had 5 TD's. The margin of the defeat has to be disappointing for the Crimsons, who travel to Rocket Booster Stadium next week. Hopefully, their QB is not seriously injured.
Rocketnation,
I agree about ur comment about Mac's offense being slow moving. First drive was 7 or 8 minutes and they had nothing to show for it.

I understand the need to play ball control against RHS but with the quick strike ability I would think u want to get in more snaps and keep the defense on their heels.

Rockets keep the freshman bottled up except for the one run as u noted. MAC seemed to go away from him and focused on passing game which was successful for short while until RHS made an adjustment.

Rocketnation,
I agree about ur comment about Mac's offense being slow moving. First drive was 7 or 8 minutes and they had nothing to show for it.

I understand the need to play ball control against RHS but with the quick strike ability I would think u want to get in more snaps and keep the defense on their heels.

Rockets keep the freshman bottled up except for the one run as u noted. MAC seemed to go away from him and focused on passing game which was successful for short while until RHS made an adjustment.
Agree. By taking so long to run plays, they give defenses more of a chance to substitute and to look to the sidelines for coaching direction.

That being said, trying to arm tackle both the Mac QB and the Freshman RB is not advisable. Mac's QB avoided multiple sacks last night by refusing to go down when first hit. Luckily, each time that happened he ended up having to throw the ball away.

Mac's next two games are against U High and Chatham. At this point, I would favor them (but not overwhelmingly) against U High and favor Chatham against them (but not overwhelmingly). Chatham has a quick but not particularly big defense.

Agree. By taking so long to run plays, they give defenses more of a chance to substitute and to look to the sidelines for coaching direction.

That being said, trying to arm tackle both the Mac QB and the Freshman RB is not advisable. Mac's QB avoided multiple sacks last night by refusing to go down when first hit. Luckily, each time that happened he ended up having to throw the ball away.

Mac's next two games are against U High and Chatham. At this point, I would favor them (but not overwhelmingly) against U High and favor Chatham against them (but not overwhelmingly). Chatham has a quick but not particularly big defense.
Chatham has the weakest 3-0 one could imagine. Their two blowout wins are against Eisenhower and Lanphier. Their other win (14-12) was against a school of comparable size which sits at 1-2. Overall, their opponents' record are a 1-8 combined. I won't put any credence into their record until they beat MacArthur decisively and keep it close against SHG and Rochester. They will be a weak 6-3 going into the playoffs. Possibly 5-4 if they lose their focus against Jacksonville

Week 4 Matchups and a Few Observations
Lanphier (0-3) at Eisenhower (0-3)
Peoria Manual (0-3) at Lincoln (2-1)
Southeast (0-3) at SHG (2-1)
Jacksonville (2-1) at Rochester (3-0)
Chatham (3-0) at Springfield (1-2)
MacArthur (1-2) at U High (2-1)

Lanphier got its lone win last season against Eisenhower. It's been a rough start for both teams, the Lions have been outscored 173-22 while Eisenhower's deficit has been 155-12. This is the best chance for both teams to get a win this year.

Lincoln needs to rebound against Manual in their search for 5 wins. While Manual is 0-3, they have played somewhat better than Lincoln's first two wins (Lanphier and Eisenhower). This is the CS8 vs Big 12 matchup of the week. Champaign Central's victory over Lanphier puts the Big 12 ahead in the series 3-2.

The two most compelling games of Week 4 are Chatham/Springfield and MacArthur/U High.

Chatham will be challenged for the first time since Week 1. They have a big offensive line and two options at RB. They have been run-first so far. Sophomore Colton Knoedler is getting most of the snaps at QB. Springfield got an extremely important win against Lincoln. The defense performed very well, holding down the speedy Carson twins. It's important the Senators do not get behind by multiple scores early. The longer the game is close, the better chance they have to win.

After watching Mac against Rochester, they have a big Offensive Line and both QB France and RB Johnson-Cook are legitimate threats who are hard to tackle. They will score enough to have a chance to win most weeks. Their defense is only average. U High is 2-1 and has played pretty well in all three games. Their offense has been proficient but does not have the big play capability of Mac. This game will likely be decided by U High's defense and how well they can limit the big play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT