ADVERTISEMENT

Coal City

pjjp

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2001
I've heard good things about their up and coming program. They have done very well in the IESA (grade school) baseball tournaments in recent years. This was the first year they were in 3A. I was thinking before the game what terrible luck they had. They drew JCA and Drake Fellows on JCA's home field in their first 3A playoff game. Well, their pitcher, Brad Littleton, is going to Indiana for a reason. He was very impressive in pitching a 2-hit shutout for the 1-0 win. His "out" pitch seems to be his curve. I don't think a JCA right-handed hitter had a good swing at his curve all day. He also doubled and scored (pinchrunner) the only run of the game. They now face Lemont's ace in the regional final.

As for JCA, the script repeats. They have not gotten out of the regional in the last three years. In their three losses, they have scored a grand total of 2 runs in 23 innings (they lost to Lemont in 9 innings last year). I've said this many times, Voss teams tend to struggle hitting the ball. The playoff sample size continues to grow in support of that assertion.

One final note, Drake Fellows had a stellar 3-year varsity career at JCA. However, JCA never won a regional in his varsity career. Think about that for a second. Tough to win when you don't hit.

I've heard good things about their up and coming program. They have done very well in the IESA (grade school) baseball tournaments in recent years. This was the first year they were in 3A. I was thinking before the game what terrible luck they had. They drew JCA and Drake Fellows on JCA's home field in their first 3A playoff game. Well, their pitcher, Brad Littleton, is going to Indiana for a reason. He was very impressive in pitching a 2-hit shutout for the 1-0 win. His "out" pitch seems to be his curve. I don't think a JCA right-handed hitter had a good swing at his curve all day. He also doubled and scored (pinchrunner) the only run of the game. They now face Lemont's ace in the regional final.

As for JCA, the script repeats. They have not gotten out of the regional in the last three years. In their three losses, they have scored a grand total of 2 runs in 23 innings (they lost to Lemont in 9 innings last year). I've said this many times, Voss teams tend to struggle hitting the ball. The playoff sample size continues to grow in support of that assertion.

One final note, Drake Fellows had a stellar 3-year varsity career at JCA. However, JCA never won a regional in his varsity career. Think about that for a second. Tough to win when you don't hit.

Not sure Coal City is up and coming, been good program for 20 years, just in a smaller class..

Not sure Coal City is up and coming, been good program for 20 years, just in a smaller class..
Okay. How about up and coming in 3A? From what I hear, they have a lot of young talent coming up, including their incoming freshmen class.

Okay. How about up and coming in 3A? From what I hear, they have a lot of young talent coming up, including their incoming freshmen class.

They always seem to have a great junior high team, Jerry coaches both junior high and high school teams.. Herscher, Manteno and Coal City are all programs that have been very good at the 2A level, now facing 3A which is a huge jump.. Coal City was actually better last year, but Herscher got them in the regional final..

They always seem to have a great junior high team, Jerry coaches both junior high and high school teams.. Herscher, Manteno and Coal City are all programs that have been very good at the 2A level, now facing 3A which is a huge jump.. Coal City was actually better last year, but Herscher got them in the regional final..
Manteno had a nice run to the sectional final last year and played Lemont tough on Wednesday. I see Herscher has LWW next. I'm guessing this will be LWW's last year in 3A with the closing of LWN this year. Seems like this baseball sectional will have a heavy Interstate 8 presence going forward.

Yikes...did Coal City have a one-man staff? Lost to Lemont 17-0.

PJJP

Looks Like you are suggesting that JCA Basball is systemically extinct or at least challenged/behind the times. Imagine that.

PJJP

Looks Like you are suggesting that JCA Basball is systemically extinct or at least challenged/behind the times. Imagine that.
Not close enough to it to have an informed opinion....just looking at recent results, which suggest offensive issues.

Herscher won both their regional games 7-6, scoring 5 runs both times in the 7th to win
Nice win. LWW is normally a strong 3A team.

I have no doubt the large Interstate 8 teams can compete well in 3A. It's a step up in competition from 2A, but I don't think it's as big of a step as say 3A to 4A.

Last edited:

How about they just have not had good hitters over the last three years? I have watched this program pretty closely for the last ten years. In my opinion, they have lacked hitters the last three years. This year it was especially evident. If you look at the previous 6 years before the 3 year period you are referring to, JCA won 6 regionals, 2 state championshps, a 3rd place and a 4th place. Do you think Voss just forgot how to coach? Look at the complete sample size of playoff games in Voss' career and it is impossible to argue with his overall success.

Reactions: illini14
How about they just have not had good hitters over the last three years? I have watched this program pretty closely for the last ten years. In my opinion, they have lacked hitters the last three years. This year it was especially evident. If you look at the previous 6 years before the 3 year period you are referring to, JCA won 6 regionals, 2 state championshps, a 3rd place and a 4th place. Do you think Voss just forgot how to coach? Look at the complete sample size of playoff games in Voss' career and it is impossible to argue with his overall success.
IMO, he has not adjusted well to the restrictions of the new bats. They won state in 2013 with a 14-loss team and got some stellar pitching in the playoffs. 2012 was the first year with the new bats. They got shutout in the 1st game of the sectional by a freshmen from LWW. That team finished 29-8. In 2014 and 2015, they were 28-8 and 28-7, respectively. None of those teams were good hitting teams? They had some pretty good records. In 2015, they were the preseason #1 team.

I agree that this year's team was challenged offensively. How did you like the way the roster was managed this year? Here's a question: they scheduled Herscher the Saturday before the state playoffs. What's the point of a game like that? Isn't it to get your players ready for the state playoffs? I get the game changer emails. Why did he play 4 sophs and 2 freshmen in that game? Three played in the playoff game and three did not. Why not play the guys who are actually going to play in the playoffs and get them additional swings at live pitching. And, if you say he was still trying to decide who was going to play....gimme a break. It was the 32nd game of the year. He still didn't know at that point?

Last edited:
IMO, he has not adjusted well to the restrictions of the new bats. They won state in 2013 with a 14-loss team and got some stellar pitching in the playoffs. 2012 was the first year with the new bats. They got shutout in the 1st game of the sectional by a freshmen from LWW. That team finished 29-8. In 2014 and 2015, they were 28-8 and 28-7, respectively. None of those teams were good hitting teams? They had some pretty good records. In 2015, they were the preseason #1 team.

I agree that this year's team was challenged offensively. How did you like the way the roster was managed this year? Here's a question: they scheduled Herscher the Saturday before the state playoffs. What's the point of a game like that? Isn't it to get your players ready for the state playoffs? I get the game changer emails. Why did he play 4 sophs and 2 freshmen in that game? Three played in the playoff game and three did not. Why not play the guys who are actually going to play in the playoffs and get them additional swings at live pitching. And, if you say he was still trying to decide who was going to play....gimme a break. It was the 32nd game of the year. He still didn't know at that point?
He lost control of the 2015 team. Those kids called the shots...

All valid points

As I have said in the past, I am surprised they have not won more than they have. Especially in 3A.
Case in point-I would have thought Delesandro would have been a part of a couple especially after winning as a freshmen.

Dalesandro had a nice freshman year at Purdue. One of the few for them this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT