ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

Poles needs to find a way to get a pick in round 5 or 6 to select the most dominant player left on the board: Taylor the punter from Iowa.
Agree 100%.

Also think Kiran A. a big time hedge for next year’s OL in case Davis is cut or Jenkens leaves in FA. I do think Bears will give him a look at both OT and OG, but just my thoughts.

Bears go local in round 3. Getting OT Kiran Amegadjie from Yale by way of Hinsdale Central.
I like this pick. Kinda a project but he might have a high upside. OT we can’t have enough. I am interested to see who the Bears get with their last pick today. A few good players still available.

Because draft grades are the stupidest thing out there, no one knows how good a pick is until 2-3 years down the road.

Bingo. People that make these grades and get paid for it have the best job because they mean nothing and there are no repercussions if they're wrong.

It's laughable that people put any stock into or care at all about draft grades.

See my last comment about draft grades. What is your reasoning for the "A+"? Neither have taken an NFL snap, an A+ would look rather silly if they both don't live up to expectations. General rule is it takes 3 years to evaluate a draft class.

In other words, nobody knows nothing. Nobody knows nothing on Wall Street, and yet every year new billionaires are minted. Nobody knows nothing in Hollywood, and yet I've seen a lot of good movies. Nobody knows nothing in Vegas, and yet the house does well enough to build roadside palaces. Nobody knows nothing in the NFL, and yet good players and teams continue to make us passionate fans, often for life.

In other words, somebody must know something.

Last edited:
Reactions: corey90
In other words, nobody knows nothing. Nobody knows nothing on Wall Street, and yet every year new billionaires are minted. Nobody knows nothing in Hollywood, and yet I've seen a lot of good movies. Nobody knows nothing in Vegas, and yet the house does well enough to build roadside palaces. Nobody knows nothing in the NFL, and yet good players and teams continue to make us passionate fans, often for life.

In other words, somebody must know something.
What?

On Wall Street there's data for days on companies in the sectors their in. The closest comparison to a new NFL player would be an IPO and people are wrong on those constantly.

Most of what Hollywood puts out these days is trash remakes, comic book movies, or just general garbage.

In Vegas the house always wins so there's really no unknowns there.

Not sure what any of this has to do with pointless "draft grades" that are made up. The draft guru that is Mel Kiper once said that if Jimmy Clausen, yes Jimmy Clausen didn't end up being an all-pro he'd retire. Still waiting on that to happen. He also said that JaMarcus Russell could be a top five NFL QB and was “John Elway-like” at 2007 NFL Draft.

So I stand by my statement that draft grades are completely worthless. Teams get nothing extra or special by having a high "draft grade". The talking heads put them out to generate clicks and are based on literally nothing. No one has an algorithm they use that spits out their draft grades for teams, they're literally pulled out of thin air.

Poles needs to find a way to get a pick in round 5 or 6 to select the most dominant player left on the board: Taylor the punter from Iowa.
Nah Bears are done for the draft. Only way back in would be to start trading next year's picks and then they'd be in this same situation with very few picks next year.

Very happy with the 4 picks we got. All quality picks. IMO we got the best QB, the best WR and the best Punter in the draft. Very good and we added a guy at OT that might be a steal. 👏

Love the player but seemed like a round too early which is why I thought they would need to trade back in.
You called it. Bears trade 2025 4th round pick to Bills for their 5th round pick and take an Edge out of Kansas. Big unknown here since the wasn't a starter and only played 500 snaps total in college between his time at Minnesota and Kansas.

You called it. Bears trade 2025 4th round pick to Bills for their 5th round pick and take an Edge out of Kansas. Big unknown here since the wasn't a starter and only played 500 snaps total in college between his time at Minnesota and Kansas.
Don’t know who he is so not sure? That said they traded a 4th round for a 5th this year. Bears need an edge guy was surprised they didn’t take Wingo? Anyway they must of done their homework to trade next years for this years. I would not trade anymore picks from next year. It’s now seeming I sign of being desperate. Let’s take what we got and go with it. If a trade happens during the season for a true edge well we have cap space.

Don’t know who he is so not sure? That said they traded a 4th round for a 5th this year. Bears need an edge guy was surprised they didn’t take Wingo? Anyway they must of done their homework to trade next years for this years. I would not trade anymore picks from next year. It’s now seeming I sign of being desperate. Let’s take what we got and go with it. If a trade happens during the season for a true edge well we have cap space.
I mean of course they did their homework, every team does their homework on every potential multi million dollar investment they make. Hell, it's coming out that multiple teams passed on Spencer Rattler due to the way he acted as a high school QB on the Netflix series QB1.

I mean of course they did their homework, every team does their homework on every potential multi million dollar investment they make. Hell, it's coming out that multiple teams passed on Spencer Rattler due to the way he acted as a high school QB on the Netflix series QB1.
I wasn’t surprised that Spencer didn’t go earlier. To me really underwhelming IMO.

Julius Peppers
Yes, he played four good years for the Bears, but the Bears didn't go anywhere. Dent's stats are almost as good, plus he was MVP in the Superbowl. Peppers never added a Superbowl to his illustrious resume.

By the way, Bill Tobin, who was involved in drafting six Hall of Famers who played for the '85 Bears, died about a week ago, on 4/19/24. He was 83.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bwm57
Yes, he played four good years for the Bears, but the Bears didn't go anywhere. Dent's stats are almost as good, plus he was MVP in the Superbowl. Peppers never got a Superbowl on his illustrious resume.

By the way, Bill Tobin, who was involved in drafting six Hall of Famers who played for the '85 Bears, died about a week ago, on 4/19/24. He was 83.
Bill Tobin was not on the '85 Bears. He played briefly in the '60s for the Oilers. He became an executive with the Bears in '87.

Last edited:
Bill Tobin was not on the '85 Bears. He played briefly in the '60s for the Oilers. He became an executive with the Bears in '87.
Check again. Tobin joined the Bears as a front office executive in 1975. He became personnel director in 1987.

Yes, he played four good years for the Bears, but the Bears didn't go anywhere. Dent's stats are almost as good, plus he was MVP in the Superbowl. Peppers never added a Superbowl to his illustrious resume.

Is Desmond Howard a better WR than Calvin Johnson?

I actually see this being debated in many places on the internet so let's talk about it.

Here is the QB class from 2021. #1 Trevor Lawrence (decent) #2 Zach Wilson (bust so far) #3 Trey Lance (on his 2nd team) #11 Justin Fields (on 2nd team) #15 Mac Jones (on 2nd team).

Will the QB class from 2024 be better than the 2021 class? The 2024 class would be those QBs drafted in the first round.

What's your prediction?

I actually see this being debated in many places on the internet so let's talk about it.

Here is the QB class from 2021. #1 Trevor Lawrence (decent) #2 Zach Wilson (bust so far) #3 Trey Lance (on his 2nd team) #11 Justin Fields (on 2nd team) #15 Mac Jones (on 2nd team).

Will the QB class from 2024 be better than the 2021 class? The 2024 class would be those QBs drafted in the first round.

What's your prediction?
Lawrence would still be 1st or second, everybody else would have been behind JJ, IMO.

Lawrence would still be 1st or second, everybody else would have been behind JJ, IMO.
Based on their college numbers, they absolutely would not have been behind JJ.

In this example, the closest example would be Lance. A QB on a successful team that relied heavily on the run.

Last edited:
Based on their college numbers, they absolutely would not have been behind JJ.

In this example, the closest example would be Lance. A QB on a successful team that relied heavily on the run.
Jones would be the only one pushing, but I doubt it. This QB class was on another level

What's your prediction?
I'm unsure about Daniels and Maye. Caleb is obviously going to win 9 Super Bowls, JJ and Penix will get second contracts with Minnesota and Atlanta. Nix can go either way, but I'm of the opinion that Sean Payton is one of the more overrated coaches in the league.

I'm of the opinion that Sean Payton is one of the more overrated coaches in the league.
It's your opinion, but I will disagree. The guy has a career record of 160-98 and has won a SB. His career winning percentage is .620, which is 100 points better than Mike Ditka. Payton is tied for 20th place in all time wins. If the Broncos win 11 games in 2024 he will pass Paul Brown, Mike Holmgren, Pete Carroll, Tom Coughlin and Mike Shanahan and will only be one win behind Bill Parcells.

Of all the NFL head coaches who won at least 160 games, only Don Shula, George Halas, Bill Belichick, Andy Reid, Curly Lambeau, Mike Tomlin and Paul Brown have (had) higher winning percentages, while 12 others have lower winning percentages. Coaches are judged on a few things. And winning games is one of the things they are judged by. There are others who are and were better. But, I definitely wouldn't say Payton is overrated. He will get some HOF votes, for sure.

It's your opinion, but I will disagree. The guy has a career record of 160-98 and has won a SB. His career winning percentage is .620, which is 100 points better than Mike Ditka. Payton is tied for 20th place in all time wins. If the Broncos win 11 games in 2024 he will pass Paul Brown, Mike Holmgren, Pete Carroll, Tom Coughlin and Mike Shanahan and will only be one win behind Bill Parcells.

Of all the NFL head coaches who won at least 160 games, only Don Shula, George Halas, Bill Belichick, Andy Reid, Curly Lambeau, Mike Tomlin and Paul Brown have (had) higher winning percentages, while 12 others have lower winning percentages. Coaches are judged on a few things. And winning games is one of the things they are judged by. There are others who are and were better. But, I definitely wouldn't say Payton is overrated. He will get some HOF votes, for sure.
We know that if you have the QB then you have the most important position. So as far as Payton goes, my question is do you think he developed Drew Brees, or do you think he benefited from Drew Brees? I think it's the latter.

He's the Aaron Rodgers of coaching. Wins constantly, but only has one title to show for it and typically chokes in the playoffs.

Reactions: SiuCubFan8
He's the Aaron Rodgers of coaching. Wins constantly, but only has one title to show for it and typically chokes in the playoffs.
Refresh my memory. How many Bears coaches have won a Super Bowl? How many Bears QBs have won a Super Bowl? Hell, it would be nice if the Bears even MAKE the damned playoffs. And how many Bears QBs were there during Rodgers' career? And none won squat. It amazes me how guys like you let their anger of another QB or coach cloud decent objective judgement they might have.

Last edited:
We know that if you have the QB then you have the most important position. So as far as Payton goes, my question is do you think he developed Drew Brees, or do you think he benefited from Drew Brees? I think it's the latter.
You can make an argument for both. The only Bears coach who won more games in our lifetimes is George Halas. And how many people here actually remember him being the Bears head coach? That's what I thought. Payton is by no means overrated. BTW, Marty Schottenheimer won 200 games but didn't win the SB. I suppose he is overrated. Must be, because he isn't in the HOF. Payton did win a SB and Mike Ditka only won one too. Is he overrated? I would submit Ditka had better teams from 1984 through 1988. Obviously, you don't understand how difficult it is to win a SB.

I supposed John Madden and the Raiders choked in the 1970s as well, outside their lone SB win. SMH

Refresh my memory. How many Bears coaches have won a Super Bowl? How many Bears QBs have won a Super Bowl? Hell, it would be nice if the Bears even MAKE the damned playoffs. And how many Bears QBs were there during Rodgers' career? And none won squat. It amazes me how guys like you let their anger of another QB or coach cloud decent objective judgement they might have.
I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make. Payton has as many Super Bowls as any Bears coach. His record without Brees is 17-17. It's a chicken and the egg scenario, does the QB make the coach or does the coach make the QB? Bellicheck has a losing record without Brady

Reactions: stripes13
You can make an argument for both. The only Bears coach who won more games in our lifetimes is George Halas. And how many people here actually remember him being the Bears head coach? That's what I thought. Payton is by no means overrated. BTW, Marty Schottenheimer won 200 games but didn't win the SB. I suppose he is overrated. Must be, because he isn't in the HOF. Payton did win a SB and Mike Ditka only won one too. Is he overrated? I would submit Ditka had better teams from 1984 through 1988. Obviously, you don't understand how difficult it is to win a SB.

I supposed John Madden and the Raiders choked in the 1970s as well, outside their lone SB win. SMH
Honestly I don't think very many people think of Schottenheimer when they speak of great coaches. Yes, he won 200 games but was also 5-13 in the playoffs.

Ditka isn't overrated because outside of Chicago he isn't thought of as an all time great coach.

Madden is more of a folk hero but he was a great coach. He only coached for 10 years but had a winning percentage north of .700 and had as many playoff wins in 10 years as Payton has had in 16 years.

You can think Payton is a great coach, but until he does something in Denver the question will always hang over his head if it was him or Brees that led to the success in New Orleans.

Pete Carroll's career W-L record was 47-49 until Russell Wilson became his starting QB. Does anyone happen to know who was Wilson's head coach last season?

George Seifert had a .766 win percentage with the 49ers and won two Super Bowls. He was 16-32 as the HC of the Panthers. I don't think he forgot to coach. I think not having Joe Montana or Steve Young was the problem.

Reactions: Gene K. and 4Afan
L-o-n-g ago I read, "coaches get too much credit when the team wins and too much blame when it loses." This from a book by one of legends (can't remember exactly which): Wilkinson, Parseghian, Landry, Lombardi, Wooden, Knight, Riley, or Paterno. Surely a dated list, but these men had total career wins to know a thing or two - unless you believe this is now too different a sports world.

Honestly I don't think very many people think of Schottenheimer when they speak of great coaches. Yes, he won 200 games but was also 5-13 in the playoffs.
This is where 9 out of 10 of your arguments fall flat. I want you to show me where I said Sean Payton is a "great" coach. I never said that. I simply said I didn't think he is overrated. You always try to reframe or just plain make up what other people write to make your argument make sense. And I didn't bring Aaron Rodgers into the conversation, you did. You need to do a better job of paying attention to what people actually write when you debate them.

Last edited:
Pete Carroll's career W-L record was 47-49 until Russell Wilson became his starting QB. Does anyone happen to know who was Wilson's head coach last season?

George Seifert had a .766 win percentage with the 49ers and won two Super Bowls. He was 16-32 as the HC of the Panthers. I don't think he forgot to coach. I think not having Joe Montana or Steve Young was the problem.
You too are going off on tangents. No one is saying a coach doesn't need talent to win. But there are a lot of coaches who lose with talent too you know. I will say again, I don't think Sean Payton is overrated. Next thing you know, you'll start saying Bobby Cox is overrated because his teams made the playoffs all the time but only won one World Series. SMH

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT