ADVERTISEMENT

Class 6A State Title GameDay Thread

So what you are saying is CG is trash. Apparently you don’t know football. CG is good. Really good. So I nominate you for the dumbest post of the year award congrats to you give him the crown Edgy.

Err, no. I am saying a team with three losses should never merit consideration for top team in the state.

Learn to comprehend what you’re reading.

Great, great game. East St.Louis all class after the game... congratulating the injured Cary-Grove fullback... as well as others.

Now Edgy has a dilemma. Does he have the guts to leap unbeaten Cary-Grove (victors over the #1 team in the state) over several other teams to make them #1 in the Chicago area rankings?
Not sure i agree on the ALL CLASS part of that comment. Was nice to see coaches and some players patting Hissong on the back, but several players pouting on the bench or down the sideline rather than shaking hands with CG looked very poor. Especially when i can note at least 2 if their captains.

Reactions: juschill
I agree,I thought the brackets in 5A and 7A were very lob sided,and it showed by Kankakee and St.Rita’s outcomes.
Always a chance for that in 1A-6A with the north vs south. 7A is “seeded” but the IHSA system is dumb so you can get this lopsided bracket

Calpreps had Rochester top 10 after the Loyola game. Calpreps is terrible, They still have Loyola over Lockport
If they are "terrible" I'm sure they would not have a thriving business seeding playoff teams for various states. Furthermore, although I prefer to use and therefore test my own knowledge for the "Kings Challenge", I have on several occasions (with pen and paper) tested both Massey and the Freeman Ratings (which is what CalPreps uses). All three times they both would have finished in the top ten of the Kings Challenge had they been entered.

I will say the two are a little different from one another. CalPreps, because it is used for seeding, considers both how good a team is and how deserving a team is when it produces its ratings. Massey does the same thing for one of its ratings, but also produces a pure power rating designed to reflect solely how good a team is. Nonetheless, all the various ratings had East St. Louis as the best team in the state. If (purely hypothetically) I were to risk money on the outcome of an Illinois high school football game, I would definitely use their data rather than rely on your flawed, subjective opinion.

Damn. Tough MF’er. So he wasn’t just killing the clock???

I hope he still goes to the party! Deal with that Tuesday or after.
He told us in the media session after the game it was an ACL. What was amazing was that he was so calm when he answered questions, that actually a few of the reporters were asking if he truly had torn his ACL.

Maybe, and I’m just spitballing here, maybe Cary is pretty good
I remember during the season when ESL moved up to 6A there were quite a few posts about how could anyone in the media vote for Cary Grove over ESL in the AP rankings. Guess there were a couple of media types who thought Cary was pretty good, even back then.

Not sure i agree on the ALL CLASS part of that comment. Was nice to see coaches and some players patting Hissong on the back, but several players pouting on the bench or down the sideline rather than shaking hands with CG looked very poor. Especially when i can note at least 2 if their captains.
Not poor. Those kids just lost on the biggest stage of their life. Some people can’t just press on and get through. The majority wins. Much respect for CG. If you noticed that their were two captions then you were eye hustling for sly comments. What we saw was class.

If they are "terrible" I'm sure they would not have a thriving business seeding playoff teams for various states. Furthermore, although I prefer to use and therefore test my own knowledge for the "Kings Challenge", I have on several occasions (with pen and paper) tested both Massey and the Freeman Ratings (which is what CalPreps uses). All three times they both would have finished in the top ten of the Kings Challenge had they been entered.

I will say the two are a little different from one another. CalPreps, because it is used for seeding, considers both how good a team is and how deserving a team is when it produces its ratings. Massey does the same thing for one of its ratings, but also produces a pure power rating designed to reflect solely how good a team is. Nonetheless, all the various ratings had East St. Louis as the best team in the state. If (purely hypothetically) I were to risk money on the outcome of an Illinois high school football game, I would definitely use their data rather than rely on your flawed, subjective opinion.
The subjectivity is simply built into their equation. I wouldnt trust any algorithm that cant see that Wilmington isnt in the top 20.

Imagine if they played all three facets of the game…
I'm not as offended by them not kicking FG's as some here are. They actually came out ahead in XP's by going for two than if they would have kicked and hit every XP.

No one is crapping on Rita for missing two FG's and an XP. had they scored two TD's instead and went for 2 then WN still would have won, but it would be 35-24.

Cal, is that you?

Reactions: Cross Bones
Idiot play by play suggested he went down to avoid scoring and keep the clock running.
Yeah, my jaw dropped when I heard that one. It was pretty obvious the kid was hurt and never would have gone down on his own. I've never been impressed with Lee and Jack definitely needs to retire.

Reactions: juschill
All that and only lost by 1?
CG gave them the gift of the fumble at the 12 yard line and a gift of the kickoff return. Also CG’s best player missed what would have been the final touchdown.

Should have been a more lopsided score.

Not poor. Those kids just lost on the biggest stage of their life. Some people can’t just press on and get through. The majority wins. Much respect for CG. If you noticed that their were two captions then you were eye hustling for sly comments. What we saw was class.
Here is what happened: I’m with the ESL fans in the stands around the 50 waiting to take a seat for the 7A championship. Game ends, 90% of ESL is lined up to shake hands. A handful of players went straight to the north 15-20 yard line, a couple of Flyers stay by the bench. As the line gets going, all the Flyers not originally lined up, all get to the back of the line and shake hands. I couldn’t see under the cantilever for any players but all the Flyers that didn’t get right into line after the buzzer that I saw, got into the line and shook hands. No drama.

One more thought on this game. CG’s o-line played huge yesterday against some monsters. #63 Petko and #77 Katsenos played both ways the entire game and Katsenos was not a regular defender during the season. Hissong and Sheehan get a lot of props for their running but that line opened up a lot of lanes.

Last edited:
CG played a heck of a ball game and deserve to be champs. Congrats on a great season!
To the poster that is talking cash ish you are not representing CG well. Be proud that you won a hard fought game that could have gone either way. Both teams made great plays at the right time. It was just unfortunate that a very young QB made a bad decision in a game were he made several great decisions. It’s football!
It was pretty obvious early on that it would be a great game!
And for the people that suggest there wasn’t any defense being played, you show me teams that could easily stop either one of those offenses that were on display yesterday. I would love to hear your thoughts on who and why??

I'm not as offended by them not kicking FG's as some here are. They actually came out ahead in XP's by going for two than if they would have kicked and hit every XP.

No one is crapping on Rita for missing two FG's and an XP. had they scored two TD's instead and went for 2 then WN still would have won, but it would be 35-24.
I’m not crapping on them, just wondering.

I’m not crapping on them, just wondering.
It's been a constant point of contention for ESL this season on the board. For whatever reason "urban" or "athletic" or "undisciplined" (use whatever euphemism) teams don't typically have strong kicking games unless they're diverse enough to have some other demographic available for FG services. I don't know if there's a better explanation than that. But imagine EStL guys in every thread asking schools why they don't have a 4* WR and seriously expecting them to answer. I actually applaud them for just dropping it and committing to 2pts all the time.

That said when I went to the Gateway Classic a couple years back I want to say they were 3/3 on XP kicks.

It's been a constant point of contention for ESL this season on the board. For whatever reason "urban" or "athletic" or "undisciplined" (use whatever euphemism) teams don't typically have strong kicking games unless they're diverse enough to have some other demographic available for FG services. I don't know if there's a better explanation than that. But imagine EStL guys in every thread asking schools why they don't have a 4* WR and seriously expecting them to answer. I actually applaud them for just dropping it and committing to 2pts all the time.

That said when I went to the Gateway Classic a couple years back I want to say they were 3/3 on XP kicks.
I’m not using any of the buzzwords people use to bash ESL and I’m not tolerant of it in any way. I would take LB3 over a great kicker every day of the week though!

Reactions: flyerforlife
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT