ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

How many players they acquired are on the upside of their career and how many are on the downside of their career? Remember Allen is a one year deal.

Fundamentally I am more of a believer of building a team through the draft and not trading picks away. I like Brisker, Gordon, Wright, Stevenson, Jenkins and Roshon obtained through the draft. I'm not big on FA until your a playoff team.

Therefore my philosophy is much different then others on the board. I would never be down to 4 draft picks entering the draft.
Then you would be much further away in your rebuild. Think of it this way, you can do both. He has drafted very well in the two drafts he has had. I’d expect him to trade 1 or 9 or both and get more picks.

This is an exceptional draft for edges and wide outs. I’d expect he comes out with a couple at both positions.

In terms of upside of career Swift still is and Allen has 100 plus catches and 1209 yards while missing 4 games.

This team is markedly better today then they were at the end of last season .

Reactions: corey90 and 4Afan
Did a little Mock Draft this morning....

Washington - Williams
(Bears get Pick 2, 36, 40)

New England - Daniels
(Bears get 3, 34 and '25-1)

Minnesota - Maye
(Bears get 11, 23, 42)

AZ - MHJ

LAC - Alt

NYG - Nabers

TN - Fashanu

ATL - Turner

Chi - Odunze

NYJ - Bowers

Chi - McCarthy

Reactions: 4Afan
Nice all I care about is Bears get Odunze and a pass rusher in the draft.

I think the Bears would ruin McCarthy. Rather see him go somewhere else.

Reactions: Gene K.
How many players they acquired are on the upside of their career and how many are on the downside of their career? Remember Allen is a one year deal.

Fundamentally I am more of a believer of building a team through the draft and not trading picks away. I like Brisker, Gordon, Wright, Stevenson, Jenkins and Roshon obtained through the draft. I'm not big on FA until your a playoff team.

Therefore my philosophy is much different then others on the board. I would never be down to 4 draft picks entering the draft.
You would complain about anything..

🤣🤣🤣

No team is built exclusively through the draft or through Free agency, it takes a combination of both. I love what Poles is doing and even if they had 10 picks he'd still need to sign free agents. Starting 10 rookies isn't a key to success for any team. You'd also be assuming all 10 picks are worth starting.

None of the players they have signed are on long term expensive contracts so they're not stuck with any of these guys beyond a year or two. That's called being a good GM.

Poles is building the team through the draft, that's why none of these guys have long term deals.

That's just one reason why you'd never be a GM. The draft is still over a month away so he's not entering the draft with just 4 picks, he has a month to aquire more. As Newt said, this is a deep draft for WR and Edge so a quality player can be found outside the top 10. As I said originally since Poles wants to build through the draft this latest move is a big clue that he more than likely will trade either #1 or #9 to get more picks.

Let’s see - addressed safety and depth at safety. Vastly improved No 2 WR and RB, improved depth on O Line, got a center.

Not sure what else you would like him to do. Keep in mind after this season you’ll have to extend Moore and Jenkins.

The draft is rich in WR and Edge talent.

And every player he signed he got below market value.

THIS is how you build a roster.

Now if that earns a D, well then I’m not sure what you’re watching.
I hope the OL is fixed but we’re going to have to see how it shakes out. We added some bandaid fixes, hopefully OL is much improved.

Edge rushers are the biggest gamble in a draft, maybe moreso than QBs. Seems like the writing is on the wall for a trade down at 9.

I don’t mind the Allen pick up, just would love to grab WR at 9, which looks unlikely now.

Did a little Mock Draft this morning....

Washington - Williams
(Bears get Pick 2, 36, 40)

New England - Daniels
(Bears get 3, 34 and '25-1)

Minnesota - Maye
(Bears get 11, 23, 42)

AZ - MHJ

LAC - Alt

NYG - Nabers

TN - Fashanu

ATL - Turner

Chi - Odunze

NYJ - Bowers

Chi - McCarthy
I think Bears would get a lot more from Vikes to move up from 11 to 3, especially with them being a divisional opponent.

I hope the OL is fixed but we’re going to have to see how it shakes out. We added some bandaid fixes, hopefully OL is much improved.

Edge rushers are the biggest gamble in a draft, maybe moreso than QBs. Seems like the writing is on the wall for a trade down at 9.

I don’t mind the Allen pick up, just would love to grab WR at 9, which looks unlikely now.
They've added two Centers to choose from and depth on the OL so they're not missing much, maybe a Guard(I never liked the Nate Davis signing).

Reactions: corey90
Let’s see - addressed safety and depth at safety. Vastly improved No 2 WR and RB, improved depth on O Line, got a center.

Not sure what else you would like him to do. Keep in mind after this season you’ll have to extend Moore and Jenkins.

The draft is rich in WR and Edge talent.

And every player he signed he got below market value.

THIS is how you build a roster.

Now if that earns a D, well then I’m not sure what you’re watching.
I have to agree with you about the free agent signings so far. I do agree with Wassup about trading a draft pick for Allen being he is 31. He had a great year and career but he also had Herbert slinging the ball. He definitely gives us a threat but I would preferred Odunze. Let’s see how the Bears do in the draft. This is where Poles will sink or swim. IMO he has totally screwed the pooch on how he handled Fields. We now have teams signing backup QBs and nothing on Fields. The entire he was going to need a haul to trade Fields was a huge blunder.

I have to agree with you about the free agent signings so far. I do agree with Wassup about trading a draft pick for Allen being he is 31. He had a great year and career but he also had Herbert slinging the ball. He definitely gives us a threat but I would preferred Odunze. Let’s see how the Bears do in the draft. This is where Poles will sink or swim. IMO he has totally screwed the pooch on how he handled Fields. We now have teams signing backup QBs and nothing on Fields. The entire he was going to need a haul to trade Fields was a huge blunder.
Please enighten us as to how you would have handled Fields.

I like Odunze too, but he's still an unknown commodity. With Allen and Moore the Bears currently have two WR1.

Allen's been in the league since 2013, Herbert just got there in 2020.

Please enighten us as to how you would have handled Fields.

I like Odunze too, but he's still an unknown commodity. With Allen and Moore the Bears currently have two WR1.

Allen's been in the league since 2013, Herbert just got there in 2020.
4Afan
We have a different view on how things should or shouldn’t be done. It would be interesting to know what you have done in your career so I can understand your way of thinking. My first thought would to not say I want a haul of players/draft picks if you want my quarterback. It was unnecessary. you put Fields on notice you’re not my guy. You told any potential suitors that you want a windfall, potentially making another team interested, say nope I will look at another potential fit. I am not totally upset with the signing of Allen because maybe he will workout for a year or two, I just didn’t like giving up a draft pick for IMO a very short term solution. I still don’t believe the Bears should trade the #1 pick. It will come back to haunt them. I know Bears fans don’t know what it is to have a gifted quarterback. They have never ever had one. In fact the Bears have actually been known to ruin them. Hell some posters don’t even want our own home grown JJ here in fear the Bears will ruin his career. They are probably not wrong and In this new day and age people in Chicago want to chastise a young man for being different. Guess what Poles has totally made it clear Fields isn’t the future, Poles better be very careful on how he handles the draft because all the moves he has made in FA won’t mean anything if he doesn’t have. QB that can lead this team.

4Afan
We have a different view on how things should or shouldn’t be done. It would be interesting to know what you have done in your career so I can understand your way of thinking. My first thought would to not say I want a haul of players/draft picks if you want my quarterback. It was unnecessary. you put Fields on notice you’re not my guy. You told any potential suitors that you want a windfall, potentially making another team interested, say nope I will look at another potential fit. I am not totally upset with the signing of Allen because maybe he will workout for a year or two, I just didn’t like giving up a draft pick for IMO a very short term solution. I still don’t believe the Bears should trade the #1 pick. It will come back to haunt them. I know Bears fans don’t know what it is to have a gifted quarterback. They have never ever had one. In fact the Bears have actually been known to ruin them. Hell some posters don’t even want our own home grown JJ here in fear the Bears will ruin his career. They are probably not wrong and In this new day and age people in Chicago want to chastise a young man for being different. Guess what Poles has totally made it clear Fields isn’t the future, Poles better be very careful on how he handles the draft because all the moves he has made in FA won’t mean anything if he doesn’t have. QB that can lead this team.
When did Poles ever say he wanted a haul for Fields? Poles is known to keep things tight to his vest and the only thing I heard him ever say in regards to Fields was that he wanted to do right by him.

All the talking head said Fields could net a 2nd round pick, but Poles has never said publicly what he wanted in return.

It's assumed he wants a "haul" for the #1 pick, but he's never said publicly what he wants for that either.

As I've mentioned before, this is a terrible year to try and trade a starting QB with all the free agents and they're not going to pay the Bears what Fields is worth to be a backup.

Oh it has nothing to do with my career, I'm just argumentative by nature and enjoy a good debate.

When did Poles ever say he wanted a haul for Fields? Poles is known to keep things tight to his vest and the only thing I heard him ever say in regards to Fields was that he wanted to do right by him.

All the talking head said Fields could net a 2nd round pick, but Poles has never said publicly what he wanted in return.

It's assumed he wants a "haul" for the #1 pick, but he's never said publicly what he wants for that either.

As I've mentioned before, this is a terrible year to try and trade a starting QB with all the free agents and they're not going to pay the Bears what Fields is worth to be a backup.

Oh it has nothing to do with my career, I'm just argumentative by nature and enjoy a good debate.
I agree, I read he somewhere he wanted a Haul for Justin but never actually heard him say it. He did say he wanted to do right by Justin and would keep him updated on the process. He also said he would be open and transparent on any potential offers and it would take a lot for him to trade Justin. All indications he is trying to trade him. IMO he didn’t need to tell the media any of this. He basically told everyone he is trying to work a deal and also saying it would take a lot. In any case it’s going to be interesting to see who they trade him.
Lol you definitely are argumentative but that’s okay, it’s why this board is fun. 😊

By the way Caleb Williams pro day is 20th Tuesday. The Bears have a scheduled meeting afterwards. I read Caleb has been watching some of the negative reports from Chicago media and he says he is looking forward to starting his professional career in Chicago. This seems to contradict any of the false rumors saying he doesn’t want to play in Chicago.

Last edited:
I agree, I read he somewhere he wanted a Haul for Justin but never actually heard him say it. He did say he wanted to do right by Justin and would keep him updated on the process. He also said he would be open and transparent on any potential offers and it would take a lot for him to trade Justin. All indications he is trying to trade him. IMO he didn’t need to tell the media any of this. He basically told everyone he is trying to work a deal and also saying it would take a lot. In any case it’s going to be interesting to see who they trade him.
Lol you definitely are argumentative but that’s okay, it’s why this board is fun. 😊

By the way Caleb Williams pro day is 20th Tuesday. The Bears have a scheduled meeting afterwards. I read Caleb has been watching some of the negative reports from Chicago media and he says he is looking forward to starting his professional career in Chicago. This seems to contradict any of the false rumors saying he doesn’t want to play in Chicago.
Again I don't know where you're seeing Poles talking about what he wants for Fields. Do you have a link? All I've ever heard was he wanted to do right by him either way. I don't see anything where he even publicly said he wanted to trade him.

Regarding Williams, it's pretty much inevitable he'll end up in Chicago so it wouldn't be too smart for him to say anything other than positive about the Bears. At this point it's like a job interview, he'll put his best foot forward and tell Poles what he thinks he wants to hear. Not much stock to put in any player's pro day interviews.

Again I don't know where you're seeing Poles talking about what he wants for Fields. Do you have a link? All I've ever heard was he wanted to do right by him either way. I don't see anything where he even publicly said he wanted to trade him.

Regarding Williams, it's pretty much inevitable he'll end up in Chicago so it wouldn't be too smart for him to say anything other than positive about the Bears. At this point it's like a job interview, he'll put his best foot forward and tell Poles what he thinks he wants to hear. Not much stock to put in any player's pro day interviews.
Poles and the Bears management will put a lot of stock on what he says and how he performs on pro day. I don’t have link of his original interview. He didn’t directly say he was going to trade Fields but did say he would listen to offers. He didn’t exactly give Fields any security he was staying. It is easy to read between the lines. My only comment is it was unnecessary. If Fields was going to stay he would have come right out and said Fields is my guy. He didn’t and we are now where we are.

Poles and the Bears management will put a lot of stock on what he says and how he performs on pro day. I don’t have link of his original interview. He didn’t directly say he was going to trade Fields but did say he would listen to offers. He didn’t exactly give Fields any security he was staying. It is easy to read between the lines. My only comment is it was unnecessary. If Fields was going to stay he would have come right out and said Fields is my guy. He didn’t and we are now where we are.
from he's demanding a haul for Fields to he'll listen to offers is quite the jump.

from he's demanding a haul for Fields to he'll listen to offers is quite the jump.
No doubt he wanted draft picks and this is why Fields is still on the Bears roster. Pole’s will need to play this draft very carefully if he still has Fields on the roster after the draft. If he keeps Fields now it’s only because he couldn’t trade him or get what he wanted. If they keep Fields as the Bears starter and trade the #1 for draft pick it will be enormous pressure for him to win, IMO Poles and Eberflus jobs will be in serious jeopardy if Fields doesn’t perform at a high level.

Fields to Steelers for a 2025 6th round pick that becomes a 4th based on playing time.

Fields to Steelers for a 2025 6th round pick that becomes a 4th based on playing time.
Horrible,
That’s really nothing. I doubt he plays 51 percent of the time. They will get a 6th round pick, that’s it. Now let’s see if the Bears screw the pooch by trading the #1 pick and #9 pick. It’s what they do it’s what we have come to expect. They will wait until after Tuesday but I am almost expecting it.

Horrible,
That’s really nothing. I doubt he plays 51 percent of the time. They will get a 6th round pick, that’s it. Now let’s see if the Bears screw the pooch by trading the #1 pick and #9 pick. It’s what they do it’s what we have come to expect. They will wait until after Tuesday but I am almost expecting it.
Better take a Xanax to calm yourself down on draft night because with only 4 picks it's almost certain they will be trading one of their top 10 picks for more draft capital. I, for one, am here for it. Let's get crazy.

Poles has yet to have, what can be called, a bad draft so not sure what you're talking about. Until he actually screws the pooch I like what he's been doing.

Better take a Xanax to calm yourself down on draft night because with only 4 picks it's almost certain they will be trading one of their top 10 picks for more draft capital. I, for one, am here for it. Let's get crazy.

Poles has yet to have, what can be called, a bad draft so not sure what you're talking about. Until he actually screws the pooch I like what he's been doing.
I wasn’t just basing it off Poles I was looking at every draft in the last 30 years or so. Their record isn’t good. I am hoping Poles changes that, so far I like what he has done. The draft will tell me if he breaks the cycle of bone head moves from previous GMs. The next move will either define him or bury him. He dodged one obstacle by trading Fields. Although he didn’t get squat in return.

Fans like you were running him out of town before he ever got here. Lol
Chicago fans don’t know what it is or how to appreciate a franchise type QB.
And you don't know that he is a franchise type QB.

I wasn’t just basing it off Poles I was looking at every draft in the last 30 years or so. Their record isn’t good. I am hoping Poles changes that, so far I like what he has done. The draft will tell me if he breaks the cycle of bone head moves from previous GMs. The next move will either define him or bury him. He dodged one obstacle by trading Fields. Although he didn’t get squat in return.
Yeah I don't think his career hangs in the balance of this draft.

What has Poles done so far with the Bears that hasn't improved the team?
Nothing I just said he has done well. I would have liked more for Fields but hey he opened his mouth early and I think that hurt his position. It will really come down to who he picks at QB. You can add all the pieces but if you don’t get a talent at the QB spot it will fall apart. The QB IMO is the most important piece to the puzzle and the leader of the team. Let’s watch what happens.

A4
How do you think Caleb will look on pro day? Do you think he will wow people or do you think he will flop?
I think nothing will change. He'll perform well because that's what pro days are designed for and why more kids skip the combine in favor of their pro days. They're at their home schools and with their teammates who they're already familiar with.

Hopefully some team is blown away enough to trade for the Bears #1 pick.

• Haha
Reactions: corey90
Nothing I just said he has done well. I would have liked more for Fields but hey he opened his mouth early and I think that hurt his position. It will really come down to who he picks at QB. You can add all the pieces but if you don’t get a talent at the QB spot it will fall apart. The QB IMO is the most important piece to the puzzle and the leader of the team. Let’s watch what happens.
Except he never opened his mouth in the beginning. You think you may have maybe heard something in an interview Poles gave that only you found.

Except he never opened his mouth in the beginning. You think you may have maybe heard something in an interview Poles gave that only you found.

Bears GM Ryan Poles once again says he'd need to be "blown away" to think of abandoning Justin Fields and drafting a quarterback first.

Just a few things that made me feel like he played his cards early. A lot of others feel the same way.

Bears GM Ryan Poles once again says he'd need to be "blown away" to think of abandoning Justin Fields and drafting a quarterback first.

Just a few things that made me feel like he played his cards early. A lot of others feel the same way.
Oof, Corey I like you, but if your resource is The Score and Dan Bernstein I question your intelligence. Plus there's no quote from Poles other than him saying he wanted to do right by Fields, no mention of what he wanted in return. They're claiming he showed his hand by saying he wanted to do right by him, nowhere saying he wanted a haul or even what he wanted.

Bernstein is an arrogant prick and nothing he says should be taken as factual.

Oof, Corey I like you, but if your resource is The Score and Dan Bernstein I question your intelligence. Plus there's no quote from Poles other than him saying he wanted to do right by Fields, no mention of what he wanted in return. They're claiming he showed his hand by saying he wanted to do right by him, nowhere saying he wanted a haul or even what he wanted.

Bernstein is an arrogant prick and nothing he says should be taken as factual.
It was many others. I just sent the first one I saw. I don’t follow these guys but it wasn’t just them. Poles showed his hand and everyone that was watching knew what he wanted including his comment he needed to be wowed to trade him. I don’t think he was wowed for what he got for him and I also think if he had it to do over he would’ve handled it differently. I called it a blunder and it was and nobody in their right mind wouldn’t dispute it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT