ADVERTISEMENT

5A-8A Championship Predictions

They dismantled everyone they played but were not really challenged, which can be a bit of a concern come playoff time.

Valid point. Sometimes adversity in season helps you in the playoffs. I think MCHS will have trouble in the playoffs starting in the quarterfinals. PR is definitely not going to lay down for anyone and if it is played on grass look out.

I know Montini has Wauconda in the first round. The only thing I know about Wauconda is Sunny Hill Beach & Phil's Beach which was a blast growing up. Anyone near there know if those beaches are still there??

Wassup

We played Wauconda in '99. That was the longest fricking drive from LGP in rush hour. Thankfully we won.

Love that area, saw someone call it Wau-tucky in another thread but hell, the Forest Preserves/State Park area are amazing. Only 15 minutes down Rand from civilization. Not that bad...

I totally understand that things change from the time when games are scheduled and my point was not to accuse them of an easy schedule. It was just to state the facts of their opponents' records, etc. this year. They dismantled everyone they played but were not really challenged, which can be a bit of a concern come playoff time.
CG
I am not accusing you of anything other than pointing out the reality of Montini's schedule this year. I share the concern you raised as to Montini's schedule and my thoughts, which may or may not be correct, as to the strength of Illinois football currently and in the recent past.

IMO, the difference between this year's Rambler team and those of the past is the offense. Their defense is up to their usual high standard, but they have the best offensive personnel of any previous team in the Holecek era....very good O-line, good speed and size at receiver, very quick and elusive RB and a mobile, accurate QB with experience. I liked the change-of-pace the big, backup QB provided against MC. At 6'5 225 lbs. with very good running ability, he is another weapon at Holecek's disposal.

Another thing that astounds me about Loyola is the number of kids suiting up. We keep hearing about numbers being down...Palatine's JV(aka sophomores) had an open week because Hoff Estates has all their sophs up with the varsity, so they picked up a game with Loyola's JV. Palatine dressed 43 guys for the game, which to MSL standards is a pretty solid number....Loyola brought 77 kids....for JV. Unreal.

I have no doubt Montini is a solid team, but you do realize that out of all 6A teams their opponents had the worst combined win-loss and only one is making the playoffs.
I'd love to see MCHS vs PR on the PR grass. I feel that would even out the game. If it's in Lombard I'll take MCHS all day.
No grass please and yes it should be at MCHS if it does happen way to far down the road to even start looking down that road.

i am not one of those believing a walk in the park for Montini. I am almost 100% certain none of the players or coaches are either. I am hoping they get another chance to play at NIU.
No game is a walk in the park and I promise they are not even thinking about 4 games down the road.

Any given day anybody can get beat if you don't come to play real simple.

Another thing that astounds me about Loyola is the number of kids suiting up. We keep hearing about numbers being down...Palatine's JV(aka sophomores) had an open week because Hoff Estates has all their sophs up with the varsity, so they picked up a game with Loyola's JV. Palatine dressed 43 guys for the game, which to MSL standards is a pretty solid number....Loyola brought 77 kids....for JV. Unreal.
What was th score of the LA Pal jv game?

I do think this will be SHG's toughest test in the last 3 years getting through the south bracket. SHG's line is very physical and that RB they have is very tough to bring down. I don't think anyone in the entire bracket has someone to match up with Albert O. SHG will still be the favorite to win 6A.

As for Montini in the north, I'm not familiar with most of the teams in the 6A north so I don't know what will happen. One game at a time.

Wassup
This is probably Montini's easiest draw on years. Ironic that it is a class higher

I have no doubt Montini is a solid team, but you do realize that out of all 6A teams their opponents had the worst combined win-loss and only one is making the playoffs.
Finally someone talking sense the Thornton wildcats are the most dangerous in the 6a field too many weapons offensively exceptional defense and arguably the best quarterback in six a Sam Taylor lll

Montini beat Maine South by 3 and intercepted a pass in the End Zone against ESL that turned what could have bean a 4 point ESL lead into a 10 point Montini win. Illinois football is a little down but this was the best Montini team that I have seen in the past 3 years. They are more balanced and the defense is very fast. After week 2 only three teams were able to score once.

Last edited:
Reactions: emillika
CG
I am not accusing you of anything other than pointing out the reality of Montini's schedule this year. I share the concern you raised as to Montini's schedule and my thoughts, which may or may not be correct, as to the strength of Illinois football currently and in the recent past.

Sorry, Bronc, as I wasn't trying to say you did, although my note kind of came out that way, didn't it? Appreciate your insight. Good luck to Montini. Will be a fun next month.

Finally someone talking sense the Thornton wildcats are the most dangerous in the 6a field too many weapons offensively exceptional defense and arguably the best quarterback in six a Sam Taylor lll
Blah!blah!blah!every team is dangerous and every team has weapons.

What was th score of the LA Pal jv game?
34-0 Loyola.

Palatine JV went 6-3. Lost to Stevie, Loyola, Barrington. Beat Fremd by a point, and everyone else handily (by 3+ TDs). Two best sophs, Walker and O'Shea, were actually both starters on the varsity this year for all 9 games.

For the 1st time ever I did not pick the beloved to win
mjcry1.png

Reactions: MS4EVER
I have been there. I know that feeling. You feel a sense of betrayal. After that first time though its really easy!!!! ie I had NN over MC in 07, MS over MC 08, LA over MC 09, LA over MC 10 in final, Brook over MC 11, PC over MC semi last year. top edgy moment in history 2006 Kings Challenge round 1 pjjp picked Morris over JC ....and he was right. Just remember it is not YOU who are picking vs them-THEY made the decision for you.

Last edited:
top edgy moment in history 2006 Kings Challenge round 1 pjjp picked Morris over JC ....and he was right.

I see you haven't completed your 7A bracket yet. I was interested to see if you picked MC over GBN.

I do one bracket a day and sleep on it and submit. I have much of 7A completed thus far but have to research some things like Harlem, Eisenhower, Auburn, Benet (only beat Marian by 7?) etc.

Reactions: Cross Bones
You're right, they did pick for me. But then they showed me that they weren't sure of the pick. But anecdotes are not data.

:sadmj:

That's because the Broncos aren't in Lemont's bracket, so you can afford to lol. As far as the SHG faithful lol-ing, see psspfan's comment about physically above, although I must say that the Cyclones do not have to play all the teams in their bracket.May depend on who they play up to the quarterfinals against Lemont (if they even survive that far).

Yeah, good job, but the Broncos are NOT, I repeat now for the second time, NOT in Lemont's bracket. If MCHS is the team Lemont plays in the championship game, then we can have the discussion on points given up and compare the two teams. By the way Broncos, great victories over Chicago Leo and Westchester St. Joseph. I surrender, you've made a believer out of me (now I can lol!!).

Montini prides itself on strength of schedule. Who was to know St. Rita was going to have a bad year? ESL would have made the playoffs if they didnt have to forfeit 4 games due to teacher strikes. ESL beat a decent Simeon team to open the season. Maine South is better now. Being their schedule wasn't as strong as reason years its how they completely dominated their opponents Montini had 2nd and 3rd stringers in there before halftime in alot of these games. I would love the opportunity to see Montini play Lemont in the Championship but unfortunately Lemont's season will be over way before that.

Montini prides itself on strength of schedule. Who was to know St. Rita was going to have a bad year? ESL would have made the playoffs if they didnt have to forfeit 4 games due to teacher strikes. ESL beat a decent Simeon team to open the season. Maine South is better now. Being their schedule wasn't as strong as reason years its how they completely dominated their opponents Montini had 2nd and 3rd stringers in there before halftime in alot of these games. I would love the opportunity to see Montini play Lemont in the Championship but unfortunately Lemont's season will be over way before that.

Who do you have knocking Lemont out?

I think Lemont has a chance to get to the title game but right now SHG is by far the favorite. If they get knocked out, it's up for grabs.

Wassup

I think Lemont has a chance to get to the title game but right now SHG is by far the favorite. If they get knocked out, it's up for grabs.

Wassup

With Hinsdale South, Thornton, Richards and LWN, Lemont and Crete-Monee in its group of 8, no way do I think SHG is a favorite to come out of the group, much less a "by far" favorite. I simply think that the teams I have mentioned have played a much tougher regular season schedule than the Cyclones have, and even though they beat Rochester this past week, their record (and point total of 505) is not an indication of how mediocre I think this team is.

I have been there. I know that feeling. You feel a sense of betrayal. After that first time though its really easy!!!! ie I had NN over MC in 07, MS over MC 08, LA over MC 09, LA over MC 10 in final, Brook over MC 11, PC over MC semi last year. top edgy moment in history 2006 Kings Challenge round 1 pjjp picked Morris over JC ....and he was right. Just remember it is not YOU who are picking vs them-THEY made the decision for you.

who remembers this shi+

With Hinsdale South, Thornton, Richards and LWN, Lemont and Crete-Monee in its group of 8, no way do I think SHG is a favorite to come out of the group, much less a "by far" favorite. I simply think that the teams I have mentioned have played a much tougher regular season schedule than the Cyclones have, and even though they beat Rochester this past week, their record (and point total of 505) is not an indication of how mediocre I think this team is.

SHG is the favorite.

You can be a great team and not play a great schedule. I think you are putting way to much emphasis on SHG's schedule. They have a tougher road this year, but they still have a ton of talent. If SHG has Lemont's schedule, they are still 9-0

You can be a great team and not play a great schedule. I think you are putting way to much emphasis on SHG's schedule. They have a tougher road this year, but they still have a ton of talent. If SHG has Lemont's schedule, they are still 9-0

Every year, at least the past few years, there's been a person who, claiming to be from the Springfield area (seemingly from "nowhere"), who posts on various message boards with the same schtick. "SHG is overrated/plays a weak schedule/won't even make it to the semifinals/finals." Then, come Thanksgiving, that person seems to lose their ability to post on any message boards to admit they were wrong.

Reactions: TPF523
Every year, at least the past few years, there's been a person who, claiming to be from the Springfield area (seemingly from "nowhere"), who posts on various message boards with the same schtick. "SHG is overrated/plays a weak schedule/won't even make it to the semifinals/finals." Then, come Thanksgiving, that person seems to lose their ability to post on any message boards to admit they were wrong.

Nailed it

You don't mean "nowhereman" do you? Yeah, I've read his stuff and for 5A he definitely missed the boat a few years. However, he will probably be vindicated this year (if he starts this stuff again) if for no other reason than he most likely, like us, sees the tough road SHG has. I do stand by my opinion that this bracket will be just a tad (maybe more) too much to get to DeKalb, and if things play out like I think they will, th semifinals may be a stretch. Anyhow, it all starts tomorrow. Another thing: no one has to tell me I was right along. I am not that snooty, simply a person who observes very well and know that of which I speak.

SHG has something the schools listed don't, very recent State championships. Knowing how to win play a major part.

Last edited:
That's because the Broncos aren't in Lemont's bracket, so you can afford to lol. As far as the SHG faithful lol-ing, see psspfan's comment about physically above, although I must say that the Cyclones do not have to play all the teams in their bracket.May depend on who they play up to the quarterfinals against Lemont (if they even survive that far).

Any thoughts on this @Hinterland?

Any thoughts on this @Hinterland?

Thank goodness you did not ask for predictions! As far as thoughts are concerned, SHG winning or losing will depend on whether or not they can handle the TREMENDOUS speed and athleticism Crete-Monee will bring to the table. In addition, I was more than impressed with the Warriors' (is it OK to say "Warriors"?) place kicker. When they could not get the ball into the end zone against Lemont, he was there to get them 3 points on three different occasions. Anyone who could put the pounding on Lemont that they did has to be considered a favorite in the upcoming game, and that is Crete-Monee. I do think that SHG gives them a better game than the Indians did, however. We shall see.

The more interesting game to me for this weekend is the Hinsdale South/LWN matchup. Two real compelling stories here: a team which is hotter than a firecracker at the moment (Hinsdale) versus a team which some have written may be a team of destiny (LWN). The winner of this contest will have too much going for them regardless whom they meet in the semifinal, which makes this game even more crucial to both. Dreams of Dekalb sugar plums will be dancing in the heads of the winners.

My other picks for compelling games this weekend in 8A through 5A: Loyola/HF, Batavia/CG, JCA/Naz, and two what I consider extremely interesting games in 4A: Phillips/Geneseo and Rochester/Belleville Althoff (I hope the scoreboard at Lindenwood Stadium doesn't get overloaded).

Hinterland,
Looks like you made a good call here. 6a South bracket has not been easy to predict.

Last edited:
I think whoever wins the Crete vs Hinsdale South game wins 6A. Just my humbled opinion.

Not for nothing, but either PR or MCHS can hang with CM or HS. I predict a solid final in 6A and 7A, with a giant mess in 5A and 8A.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT