ADVERTISEMENT

5A-8A Championship Predictions

North2Mizzou

Jun 1, 2013
I don't pretend to be an expert on every team in Illinois, I went to LWN and I am going to rooting like crazy for them because I know a lot of those guys and it would mean a lot to me for them to get a state title in their last year. I have some insight into them and talk to a couple of the players pretty often. That said, just going off of what gets posted on here and looking at teams records I want to predict the champions from 5A thru 8A. You can tell me I'm wrong, or crazy, or a genius, but lets get some discussion going on who we think is going to win and why you think so.

5A. Joliet Catholic over Lincoln-Way West. You can argue Naz here given how many injuries JCA has suffered. That was a big win last week over Marist and they have a little momentum going into these playoffs. I look at LWW and they seem a lot more battle tested than the teams they'll play downstate. That big o-line with a power run game will pay big dividends in November. LWW has played JCA couple times in the playoffs over the years and haven't beaten them. I know JCA has one of the best coaches in the state and they'll been here before, I think the Hilltoppers.

6A. Sacred Heart-Griffin over Montini. SHG's SOS doesn't look the best but they more than held their own against a previously undefeated Rochester. They will have to earn their way into the state game, but with the way I think the bracket will play out, SHG will have home field until the semis and that will be a huge difference against Lemont. I expect LWN to get to the semis and I think that will be a hell of a ball game, I'll look at this objectively and say LWN's talent doesn't match SHG's talent. Montini won't get much resistance until the semis against Prairie Ridge, and I think Montini has beaten better teams than the Ridge has. This is rematch from last year and SHG has been on a roll for two years and I don't think that'll change.

7A. Libertyville over Glenbard West. This championship matchup is a toss up. This could look very different depending upon each of these teams round two matchups. Libertyville-LWE and GW-MC/GN. Look, both of these teams have been destroying their competition and I think momentum carries all the way through. Don't know much about either one of these teams so for the sake of an "upset" in a championship game, I'll go with Libertyville. Someone can fill me in on this.

8A. Homewood-Flossmoor over Naperville Central. I know has gotten a lot of crap on this board especially after this past Friday, but you can't deny that they are good. They are extremely talented, deep and very explosive. Honestly, a loss will probably do them a lot of good as they are probably a bit humbled after the Bolingbrook loss. Loyola is probably the best team in the state, but HF's speed MAY overwhelm them a little bit, and if the Vikings get an early score, Loyola may be forced to play catch-up and you don't want to get into a shootout with HF. That quarterfinals matchup should be the for state championship. If Brother Rice's seed was flipped with Naperville Central I would have picked them. There's nothing easy about the other side of the bracket, but I think that NC can handle their own against any potential opponent. If this is the state championship, I think NC can win, I just think if HF goes through Loyola that their confidence will be through the roof.

I probably will be wrong on every matchup, and that's okay. It's playoff football time, anything can happen. I'm curious to see who everyone else has winning. Again you can tell me I'm wrong because I am no expert here. Let's all just enjoy these next five weeks!

I would agree on the HF pick. They have more weapons than anyone so you can't key on one person. and I just think they weren't very interested against the Brook while the Brook played the game of their year.

Mizzou,

In 5a, I think Nazareth wins.

In 6a I think Montini and Prarier Ridge fight it out and the winner of this game will play SHG, but SHG will win.

In 7a, I have to go with G;lenbard West.

8a, I think HF losing is whats going to drive them to the title.

Reactions: Providad
This is strictly based on my going over points allowed this season, but I think Lemont is the best bet to come out of the southern 6A bracket. They have only given up 74 points on defense, and at this time of year, an above-average defense keeps you in games. Not sold on SHG, but Crete-Monee may give Lemont a challenge. A Montini/Prairie Ridge semi-final looks to be inevitable, but not really sure who would most likely come out on top in that matchup.

Only commnets on 5A: JCA may have to wait on their predetermined crowning as 5A champions until their second meeting with Naz, and I think I read somewhere that MCC was looking forward to another shot at JCA - REALLY GUYS?

This made me lol, along with the entirety of SHG Nation.

What's your assessment of Albert O? (Not gonna bother spelling out his name). as someone who covers Mizzou, do you think he could be someone who steps right in as a freshman and contribute? Or do you think he needs a year or two to get physically ready?

This is strictly based on my going over points allowed this season, but I think Lemont is the best bet to come out of the southern 6A bracket. They have only given up 74 points on defense, and at this time of year, an above-average defense keeps you in games. Not sold on SHG, but Crete-Monee may give Lemont a challenge. A Montini/Prairie Ridge semi-final looks to be inevitable, but not really sure who would most likely come out on top in that matchup.

Only commnets on 5A: JCA may have to wait on their predetermined crowning as 5A champions until their second meeting with Naz, and I think I read somewhere that MCC was looking forward to another shot at JCA - REALLY GUYS?
You do realize Montini has only given up 52 points all year lmao!

The defense has also scored I believe 35 points for a net giving up 2 points per game.

As a fan, I don't like entering the playoffs undefeated. I think when your undefeated you "play not to lose" instead of "playing to win" which causes upsets.

I believe you are right wassup.

I know Montini has Wauconda in the first round. The only thing I know about Wauconda is Sunny Hill Beach & Phil's Beach which was a blast growing up. Anyone near there know if those beaches are still there??

Wassup

I think the leap to 6a impacts SHG more so than Montini. I just think post season competiton is going to give SHG a physical challenge they just haven't seen the past two years. I believe this physicality week over week leading up to a potential championship game will have an impact. I hope Montini gets anther shot. Hard for me to believe they get out coached three years in a row.

Reactions: JCHILLTOPPERS
I think the leap to 6a impacts SHG more so than Montini. I just think post season competiton is going to give SHG a physical challenge they just haven't seen the past two years. I believe this physicality week over week leading up to a potential championship game will have an impact. I hope Montini gets anther shot. Hard for me to believe they get out coached three years in a row.
What's your assessment of Albert O? (Not gonna bother spelling out his name). as someone who covers Mizzou, do you think he could be someone who steps right in as a freshman and contribute? Or do you think he needs a year or two to get physically ready?

It's widely thought his future in college will be at TE. If true, my guess is they'll redshirt him to give him a year or so to bulk up.

As for SHG struggling to "make the jump to 6A"...you realize that they've won 6A before, right? It's not that much of a difference, really, with some years 5A being tougher than 6A. They aren't lacking in size or depth this year, I doubt they'll have much issue "adjusting"

This made me lol, along with the entirety of SHG Nation.

That's because the Broncos aren't in Lemont's bracket, so you can afford to lol. As far as the SHG faithful lol-ing, see psspfan's comment about physically above, although I must say that the Cyclones do not have to play all the teams in their bracket.May depend on who they play up to the quarterfinals against Lemont (if they even survive that far).

Yeah, good job, but the Broncos are NOT, I repeat now for the second time, NOT in Lemont's bracket. If MCHS is the team Lemont plays in the championship game, then we can have the discussion on points given up and compare the two teams. By the way Broncos, great victories over Chicago Leo and Westchester St. Joseph. I surrender, you've made a believer out of me (now I can lol!!).

That's because the Broncos aren't in Lemont's bracket, so you can afford to lol. As far as the SHG faithful lol-ing, see psspfan's comment about physically above, although I must say that the Cyclones do not have to play all the teams in their bracket.May depend on who they play up to the quarterfinals against Lemont (if they even survive that far).

Yeah, good job, but the Broncos are NOT, I repeat now for the second time, NOT in Lemont's bracket. If MCHS is the team Lemont plays in the championship game, then we can have the discussion on points given up and compare the two teams. By the way Broncos, great victories over Chicago Leo and Westchester St. Joseph. I surrender, you've made a believer out of me (now I can lol!!).

Lemont barely beat a 3-6 Danville team. If I was them I'd make sure I got through the first round before making plans for SHG or Montini

I know Montini has Wauconda in the first round. The only thing I know about Wauconda is Sunny Hill Beach & Phil's Beach which was a blast growing up. Anyone near there know if those beaches are still there??

Wassup
Loved those beaches growing up! I'm pretty sure the slides,diving boards and water wheel are gone now because of insurance reasons.

Wassup
my parents used to take me to wauconda lake and it was one of the best times I ever had when I was kid.

Montini will beat lemont by a min of 4 scores good luck in that south bracket buddy.

My friend fell off the side of the tall slide! Never laughed so hard in my life.

I think the leap to 6a impacts SHG more so than Montini. I just think post season competiton is going to give SHG a physical challenge they just haven't seen the past two years..

I do think this will be SHG's toughest test in the last 3 years getting through the south bracket. SHG's line is very physical and that RB they have is very tough to bring down. I don't think anyone in the entire bracket has someone to match up with Albert O. SHG will still be the favorite to win 6A.

As for Montini in the north, I'm not familiar with most of the teams in the 6A north so I don't know what will happen. One game at a time.

Wassup

Last edited:

I've only seen him a few times, and the kid is big and fast. Not sure if he is sub 4.5, but he plays fast and can move upfield. If they keep him at TE, he likely will need a year to put on some bulk, but at SE, he could be great hauling ass over the middle. With that size and speed, he should develop well.

My guess is Montini puts a running clock on Lemont's entire schedule except Richards. And if you think SHG is nervous about Lemont, I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

I have no doubt Montini is a solid team, but you do realize that out of all 6A teams their opponents had the worst combined win-loss and only one is making the playoffs.

I have no doubt Montini is a solid team, but you do realize that out of all 6A teams their opponents had the worst combined win-loss and only one is making the playoffs.

Interesting because at the beginning of the year I thought the Broncos had a very difficult schedule with Maine South, East St. Louis, St. Rita, Fenwick and St. Francis.

Wassup

No one's gonna solve Loyola's defense in 8A..not HF, not NC, not Huntley..no one..

IMO, the difference between this year's Rambler team and those of the past is the offense. Their defense is up to their usual high standard, but they have the best offensive personnel of any previous team in the Holecek era....very good O-line, good speed and size at receiver, very quick and elusive RB and a mobile, accurate QB with experience. I liked the change-of-pace the big, backup QB provided against MC. At 6'5 225 lbs. with very good running ability, he is another weapon at Holecek's disposal.

i am not one of those believing a walk in the park for Montini. I am almost 100% certain none of the players or coaches are either. I am hoping they get another chance to play at NIU.

I'd love to see MCHS vs PR on the PR grass. I feel that would even out the game. If it's in Lombard I'll take MCHS all day.

I think you are on to Montini's achilles heal. Montini likes to use the schedule to challenge itself. This year, although not the fault of Montini, not so much. I think Maine South, is a different team today than it was earlier in the year, ESL who knows.
It has been my thought, and I don't see enough hs football to state it with conviction, that Illinois football is generally down because of numbers, concussion concerns etc. As a result if a team has several good athletes they can be successful. This is especially true in 5a-6a.

if Montini was still 5A I would pick PR to win 6A. That is going to be a tough call. with LA that TE just opens everything up to ie see PC last year.

I think you are on to Montini's achilles heal. Montini likes to use the schedule to challenge itself. This year, although not the fault of Montini, not so much. I think Maine South, is a different team today than it was earlier in the year, ESL who knows.
It has been my thought, and I don't see enough hs football to state it with conviction, that Illinois football is generally down because of numbers, concussion concerns etc. As a result if a team has several good athletes they can be successful. This is especially true in 5a-6a.

I totally understand that things change from the time when games are scheduled and my point was not to accuse them of an easy schedule. It was just to state the facts of their opponents' records, etc. this year. They dismantled everyone they played but were not really challenged, which can be a bit of a concern come playoff time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT