ADVERTISEMENT

2016 DARK SIDE RANKING FINAL

JCHILLTOPPERS

May 29, 2001
Well, our 5th year has come and gone. This was a personal worst for me. Too much travel...

None the less, we have arrived at our last ranking of the year and I once again thank all of you. I have a blast doing this and promise next season, I won't miss week 9. Some random release days will remain, I'm way to unreliable and rational to make that promise. Here is our final is there a new champion? Or did we give it back to LA with their split and better reg season? Or wait, is it a blast from the past?

Major props to legendary poster and one of the DSR original gangsters...scratch that...the north shore guy-never to be confused with a gangster, MW for contributing this week after graciously accepting my invite. Thanks MW.

Here is your final DSR for 2016, notice the large tier jumps - a theme this season.

Wick City: (11.27)
Well, well, well...En ma jenues, it was NWA that said F the police...It seems the DSR and Wick City are saying F the IHSA. Congrats Wick City on your first ever, and most controversial, entry into the Dark Side. In our eyes, you are above the law, and PN (who if you are interested three teams deeper than Wick City). What else do i love about the Wick? Just two short years ago they also thumbed things up...not for the number 1 villain , but for the number 2, the CCL Blue. To think, Wick City refused to join the Blue, for fear - let's be honest - of the big dogs there...you know, those big dogs: PC=NQ; MC=NQ; Rita=1stRdKo; Rice 1stRdKo.....hot dog.​

Glenbard North of the 50: (11.18)
In the end, the mixed-up, potentially worst and last season of the DVC, end with GBN taking the crown and stealing all the bragging rights. I'm not plugged in enough to know how things in the once beloved DVC will turn up, but I know it won't be the same. I don't know what to make of the 7-2 season, but I know GBN gave Flyer their best game of the year. That counts for something considering Flyer blew everyone else out of the water.​

HF: (11.09)
After misrainking PJ's vote, HF jumps back into the DSR, and IC moves to the 11 spot...one spot out. HF is good. IC not as good. Too late to say more. I'm just sad i messed up the sheet! But, i am happy it really affected very little!​

St. Chuck: (9.55)

This is a body of work ranking. Personally, I'd like to see chuck start to challenge themselves ooc. That said, strong playoff wins, an undefeated regular season, and a good loss to the Paladrome results in a DSR final ranking. Since we are talking chuch, let's be frank. Had this not been a down year for traditional powers, without a real notable win on the regular season schedule, I'm not sure chuck ends up this well in our final DSR. Not saying they'd be out, but maybe. The 442/125 PF/PA is nice, but where is that signature win? Congrats on a great undefeated season and strong playoff run!​

G-Dub: (6.73)
Roller-Coaster? No reason to sugarcoat anything GW, they are a perennial power, schedule everyone and everyone, and are a regular top five DSR team. I always thought this team lacked the offensive power to make a title game. Ironically, I think it was coach H's best season offensively (not sure if he actually calls the plays or I word that differently). I loved the way he mixed things up this season and truly believe this was a 4 loss regular season team had it not been for the offense this year. The defense is a given. Once again, GW had the best defense in the state. With one of the more difficult regular season schedules, GW only allowed two teams to go double digits on them. Impressive. Hats off to a team not accustomed to losing persevering and making a great run.​

Paladrome: (6.18)
Well, count me in as a person proved wrong by P-Tine. It's not that I did not think they were a solid club, I was just unsure whether they had the defense to make a deep run. An undefeated regular season followed with a 14 point loss to MS in the semis results in one heck of a year. Signature win is a 10-6 playoff win verse DSR finalist St. Chuck. I'm very interested to see now that a lot of studs are graduating, whether P-Tine gains traction like I think they can???​

LA: (3.45)
Fall from grace. From the 1 spot to the 4 spot go the returning champs. Controversy? LA has an argument for the top spot. A split with MS, perhaps the best regular season in state, two offensive studs, the only team to stop Rice defensively....I can go on and on...The fact of the matter, LA got badly out played when it counted the most. We've complimented LA enough over the last two seasons to go on here, but I will finish with this. Even ending at the 4 spot this year, they are still presently the state's top program. Probably preseason 2 or 3 next year.​

P-Ridge: (2.64)
What about next year? Oh, yeah, in the 3 spot is next season's consensus #1. The 6A winner is bringing back everyone. P-Ridge is not new to the DSR, thy've just never finished this high and in such elite company. P-Ridge showing that there is no such thing as archaic offenses. Jwar, i'm calling you out on this one! Super props to this season's P-Ridge team, but was this year just a tease for next?​

Drum roll........

Swagger High: (2.09)
Perhaps disappointed with the runner-up spot, Swagger High got its swagger back in the 2016 playoffs. There may not have been a whole lot of Maine Southing of teams this season, but MS did what we all thought they could not after mid-season...and they did so in straight dominating fashion.​

An unprecedented second DSR paragraph....more controversy? MS gets five first place votes, our winner this season? Flyer, gets 3.....We have som'espalinin to do!​

and our 2106 winner!

Flyer: WON (1.82)
I love it. Flyer back for more and when we least expected it. Gone was the preseason hype. Gone was the "just look how athletic they are!" Gone was the "yeah, they'll shoot them selves in the foot, they are so undisciplined." Flyer just rolled this season and deserves a top spot. They end the season perfectly, score a Montini-like 590 points and only gave up 130. I can see Flyer gaining momentum now and going on a very nice run. Congrats flyer on your very first, and well-deserved, DSR Championship. It means way more than that IHSA hardware you brought home.​

Last edited:
Reactions: stonedlizard
My money is on capitol letter LWE, lower case lwe just doesn't have the size.

Good lord that LA/MS game made absolute chaos with these rankings,..

it did. it's odd. LA wins that game a lot of things change. LA finishes 1. MS probably falls somewhere behind flyer and PR. the question then is whether with 4 loses, MS would have fallend behind Pal? GW had a better regular season too...THen there is St. Charles east. I think MS would have ended up right ahead of them...But you are right gooms.

Sooooo Swag High beats the #4 & #5 DSR team. Who beat the tar out of the #6 & #10 team. Also beat the #7 team and they are not voted the #1 team? Come on! Gooms has us at #4? How do you go through the playoffs and beat 3 undefeated teams, Beast, Barrington and not get voted #1?

Sooooo Swag High beats the #4 & #5 DSR team. Who beat the tar out of the #6 & #10 team. Also beat the #7 team and they are not voted the #1 team? Come on! Gooms has us at #4? How do you go through the playoffs and beat 3 undefeated teams, Beast, Barrington and not get voted #1?
Agreed MS4... what do we have to do!

My final 10 was...

1. Maine South
2. East St Louis
3. Loyola Academy
4. Prairie Ridge
5. Palatine
6. Glenbard West
7. Plainfield North
8. Fenwick
9. Lincoln-Way East
10. Immaculate Conception

My final 10 was...

1. Maine South
2. East St Louis
3. Loyola Academy
4. Prairie Ridge
5. Palatine
6. Glenbard West
7. Plainfield North
8. Fenwick
9. Lincoln-Way East
10. Immaculate Conception

PR at 4? Come on man!

My ass is relatively medium. Thanks for asking?

Now now PR and mchs....the two of you collectively own enough titles to care about each others asses....now, post a picture of them and lest the DS determine which is fatter.

I honestly think no matter who you put at #4, there will be barking, and rightfully so.

• PR smoked everyone who got in their way.
  • ESL was like the cat that played with their mouse before gleefully crushing the spine
  • LA was the best team on the planet for 13 weeks and got caught flat footed when MS came out hot
  • MS would be my choice as team I would least like to play right now, but 3 losses does play on some voters minds
Cheers you crazy bastaads!

Question for Gooms,PJJP,Godfather and MCHS.

Who wins LA vs. Prairie Ridge?

PR by a score maybe more if played on PR grass. And I just confirmed with the 2 predictor sites so I wasn't crazy.

USA Today puts PR at 6 nationally - ESL 10th. Based on a computer - not what we saw. If Maine Southing a team gets you more points and that was the parameter, I wonder what the Flyers would have done differently.

Well, our 5th year has come and gone. This was a personal worst for me. Too much travel...

None the less, we have arrived at our last ranking of the year and I once again thank all of you. I have a blast doing this and promise next season, I won't miss week 9. Some random release days will remain, I'm way to unreliable and rational to make that promise. Here is our final is there a new champion? Or did we give it back to LA with their split and better reg season? Or wait, is it a blast from the past?

Major props to legendary poster and one of the DSR original gangsters...scratch that...the north shore guy-never to be confused with a gangster, MW for contributing this week after graciously accepting my invite. Thanks MW.

Here is your final DSR for 2016, notice the large tier jumps - a theme this season.

Wick City: (11.27)
Well, well, well...En ma jenues, it was NWA that said F the police...It seems the DSR and Wick City are saying F the IHSA. Congrats Wick City on your first ever, and most controversial, entry into the Dark Side. In our eyes, you are above the law, and PN (who if you are interested three teams deeper than Wick City). What else do i love about the Wick? Just two short years ago they also thumbed things up...not for the number 1 villain , but for the number 2, the CCL Blue. To think, Wick City refused to join the Blue, for fear - let's be honest - of the big dogs there...you know, those big dogs: PC=NQ; MC=NQ; Rita=1stRdKo; Rice 1stRdKo.....hot dog.​

Glenbard North of the 50: (11.18)
In the end, the mixed-up, potentially worst and last season of the DVC, end with GBN taking the crown and stealing all the bragging rights. I'm not plugged in enough to know how things in the once beloved DVC will turn up, but I know it won't be the same. I don't know what to make of the 7-2 season, but I know GBN gave Flyer their best game of the year. That counts for something considering Flyer blew everyone else out of the water.​

HF: (11.09)
After misrainking PJ's vote, HF jumps back into the DSR, and IC moves to the 11 spot...one spot out. HF is good. IC not as good. Too late to say more. I'm just sad i messed up the sheet! But, i am happy it really affected very little!​

St. Chuck: (9.55)

This is a body of work ranking. Personally, I'd like to see chuck start to challenge themselves ooc. That said, strong playoff wins, an undefeated regular season, and a good loss to the Paladrome results in a DSR final ranking. Since we are talking chuch, let's be frank. Had this not been a down year for traditional powers, without a real notable win on the regular season schedule, I'm not sure chuck ends up this well in our final DSR. Not saying they'd be out, but maybe. The 442/125 PF/PA is nice, but where is that signature win? Congrats on a great undefeated season and strong playoff run!​

G-Dub: (6.73)
Roller-Coaster? No reason to sugarcoat anything GW, they are a perennial power, schedule everyone and everyone, and are a regular top five DSR team. I always thought this team lacked the offensive power to make a title game. Ironically, I think it was coach H's best season offensively (not sure if he actually calls the plays or I word that differently). I loved the way he mixed things up this season and truly believe this was a 4 loss regular season team had it not been for the offense this year. The defense is a given. Once again, GW had the best defense in the state. With one of the more difficult regular season schedules, GW only allowed two teams to go double digits on them. Impressive. Hats off to a team not accustomed to losing persevering and making a great run.​

Paladrome: (6.18)
Well, count me in as a person proved wrong by P-Tine. It's not that I did not think they were a solid club, I was just unsure whether they had the defense to make a deep run. An undefeated regular season followed with a 14 point loss to MS in the semis results in one heck of a year. Signature win is a 10-6 playoff win verse DSR finalist St. Chuck. I'm very interested to see now that a lot of studs are graduating, whether P-Tine gains traction like I think they can???​

LA: (3.45)
Fall from grace. From the 1 spot to the 4 spot go the returning champs. Controversy? LA has an argument for the top spot. A split with MS, perhaps the best regular season in state, two offensive studs, the only team to stop Rice defensively....I can go on and on...The fact of the matter, LA got badly out played when it counted the most. We've complimented LA enough over the last two seasons to go on here, but I will finish with this. Even ending at the 4 spot this year, they are still presently the state's top program. Probably preseason 2 or 3 next year.​

P-Ridge: (2.64)
What about next year? Oh, yeah, in the 3 spot is next season's consensus #1. The 6A winner is bringing back everyone. P-Ridge is not new to the DSR, thy've just never finished this high and in such elite company. P-Ridge showing that there is no such thing as archaic offenses. Jwar, i'm calling you out on this one! Super props to this season's P-Ridge team, but was this year just a tease for next?​

Drum roll........

Swagger High: (2.09)
Perhaps disappointed with the runner-up spot, Swagger High got its swagger back in the 2016 playoffs. There may not have been a whole lot of Maine Southing of teams this season, but MS did what we all thought they could not after mid-season...and they did so in straight dominating fashion.​

An unprecedented second DSR paragraph....more controversy? MS gets five first place votes, our winner this season? Flyer, gets 3.....We have som'espalinin to do!​

and our 2106 winner!

Flyer: WON (1.82)
I love it. Flyer back for more and when we least expected it. Gone was the preseason hype. Gone was the "just look how athletic they are!" Gone was the "yeah, they'll shoot them selves in the foot, they are so undisciplined." Flyer just rolled this season and deserves a top spot. They end the season perfectly, score a Montini-like 590 points and only gave up 130. I can see Flyer gaining momentum now and going on a very nice run. Congrats flyer on your very first, and well-deserved, DSR Championship. It means way more than that IHSA hardware you brought home.​

I actually don't have a big problem with the top ten. Happy to see Fenwick receive a little DSR poetic justice, although I doubt I would have ranked them.

Looking ahead, I would like to suggest that a mission/vision statement be developed for the DSR. Why? Because I think many of the crazy ass differences that we see, like ICCP ranked #5 by one voter and not ranked at all by six voters, is due to a general lack of communication about just what the DSR is (and is not) and what DSR voters should look for to guide their voting. If there was ever such a statement made at the outset of the DSR, or repeated over the years, I don't recall seeing it.

JCHILL and others talk a lot about what have you done for me lately and strength of schedule (What was ICCP's signature win again? Larry? The same four-loss Larry that also lost to Marmion and Ignatius and that made it to the 6A semifinals after winning three playoff games by a total margin of victory of 11 pts?), but there is nothing to guide voters...no ground rules. Every voter has their own unique interpretation of what the DSR is supposed to be. The result, at times, is rankings anarchy.

Look, ICCP is a great 1A sized team multiplied up to 3A. To be sure, they are a great story. I'm glad they won 3A. I suspect they likely would have gone deep in 4A. But there is no way in hell that there are only four teams better than ICCP in this state.

If I were a DSR voter (which I thank the Lord I'm not, sir), the kind of voter that I would be would be to not put team A ahead of any other team that I felt would beat team A a majority of times if they played ten games against each other. Those are my general running rules. They don't have to be the DSR's running rules, but at least they are rules of some kind. Such rules would prevent bandwagoning and succumbing to the media and message board hype/glitz of a team like ICCP. What was their signature win again?

It all boils down to communication. In the immortal words of Strother Martin...

Last edited:
I had to put Maine S at 1. All along whoever won 8A was probably going to be my #1 . FAR superior class to 6 or 7A. More reasons were beating LA the #1 team and defending champion by 2 scores and ending their 30 game win streak. Obviously MS was a different team with the lineup change for the playoffs and the 5 going both ways as evidenced by avenging earlier losses to Barrington and LA. In looking at the playoff roads for MS and EStL from the Quarters through Final, Beating LWE/Palatine/LA just far outweighed Willowbrook/Benet/PLN. On top of that the Missouri team the Flyers beat in week 2 incurred another 2 losses (1 reg season and bounced from playoffs by Blue Springs 35-21) and their week 1 win vs PC finished 4-5. Finally head to head I would pick MS to win; especially with that kicker they have vs the Flyers not even kicking PATs.

I like PR's speed and athleticism against LA. I knew Evans was great. Didn't know they also had a stable of RB's, who were very good. Both WB's had very good speed. LA would struggle with their speed, as they did against MS. Also, PR's defense was underrated. SHG was averaging just under 50 pts. coming into the championship game. PR held them to one offensive TD. In my view, PR was actually better than I expected.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT