ADVERTISEMENT

2014 State Champion Tournament

Who wins semi #1

• Sacred Heart-Griffin Cyclones

• Stevenson Patriots

Results are only viewable after voting.

TPF523

Sep 8, 2014
Lots of talk about who would win if Stevenson, SHG, Naz, Providence matched up, obviously we'll never get to see those matchups but that doesn't stop us from having them on here. If we did an additional 2 week tournament between the 5a-8a Champs who would win? In most years the 7a/8a champs would run away with it but not so sure about last year. In semifinal #1 we have Sacred Heart Griffin vs Stevenson. Both teams finished perfect seasons but in different fashion. SHG dominated in practically every game albeit against weaker competition in both the regular season and the playoffs. Stevenson won many tough games against some solid competition. I will link the IHSA profiles of each, please vote and follow up with your reasoning. I'd love to see in depth analysis breaking down positional matchups, size, depth, SOS, etc. I will offer my opinions later.

Stevenson over SHG 35-20

PC over Naz 35-20

The exact same score? We'll get to PC-Naz later. Why does Stevenson win, what advantage do they have in the field? What justifies in your mind Stevenson being 2 Td's better than SHG?

(Not saying your wrong just want more detail).

by the end of the season, the only team that could have beaten Stevie, IMO, was PC. PC just had it last year. Better than expected at QB and O-Line...two all-state cal pass catchers and a very determined runner. I think Steven just just better at more positions.

For me, you are looking at PC vs Stevenson, and Naz vs SHG....really would have loved to seen those two games. illinois deserves those kind of games.

The exact same score? We'll get to PC-Naz later. Why does Stevenson win, what advantage do they have in the field? What justifies in your mind Stevenson being 2 Td's better than SHG?

(Not saying your wrong just want more detail).
id take Cary over SHG and Naz

We'll get to Stevenson- Providence if they're the top 2. Don't get ahead of yourself, why does Stevenson beat SHG?

I would not take cary over SHG. Also, I just think Naz's offense was good enough to beat cary. That said, Cary, SHG, Naz would all be toss-ups. No doubt.

I just think it's hard to gauge how great of a team SHG really is because they really play nobody in the north until the state title game. We at least need them to schedule their non-conference games against the 5A-8A powerhouse schools or it would be nice if they joined a north/Chicagoland conference or if the IHSA would just have 1-32 true seeding for class 5A and 6A schools.

I do think SHG is a very great team but I would really like to see them tested by placing them in the loaded side of the bracket known as the 5A north. I do think they match up well with any team including Stevie, Provi and Naz.

Wassup

Hard to disagree wassup. The thing about the 5a north vs the 5a south (JCA having been a part of both on a number of times) is not that rugged grind kind of thing you hear about, though that plays a part, it's that unlike playing in the south, if you catch a bad break - bad bounce - bad call you are out. In the south, that is not quite the case.

All.... Fwiw calpreps (once again of course computers don't play football) shows at a neutral site SHG 24 Stevenson 23. As for the Cyclones scheduling non con games unfortunately those days are over with the conference now with 10 teams. When the CS8 was at nine that first week non con against Montini was a great way to start off the season. Ratsy

Neither side of 5A is grind if you are going off the last couple years.. 5A is a class you only have to worry about 2-3 teams. Very top heavy

My biggest concern with SHG was match up wise I dont feel like their DLine would hold vs PC,Naz,Cary, and Stevie's online. Solid players all around but you dont see that many athletes that pop out on film like Naz, HF, and PC had. While I think they might make the games competitive, I dont see them winning in the battles inside the trenches or on the outside.

SHG vs Stevie; Stevie -13.5
SHG vs Cary; Cary - 17.5
SHG vs HF; -16.5
SHG vs PC; PC -20.5
SHG vs Naz; Naz -19

Neither side of 5A is grind if you are going off the last couple years.. 5A is a class you only have to worry about 2-3 teams. Very top heavy

My biggest concern with SHG was match up wise I dont feel like their DLine would hold vs PC,Naz,Cary, and Stevie's online. Solid players all around but you dont see that many athletes that pop out on film like Naz, HF, and PC had. While I think they might make the games competitive, I dont see them winning in the battles inside the trenches or on the outside.

SHG vs Stevie; Stevie -13.5
SHG vs Cary; Cary - 17.5
SHG vs HF; -16.5
SHG vs PC; PC -20.5
SHG vs Naz; Naz -19

To be sure, while don't think SHG beat Stevie or PC or HF, i think it's closer vs Naz, and i'd wager they would have beat CG. SHG's offense was outstanding. I don't think CG scores enough to beat them.

Also, have to remember, CG was the smallest 6a school (i think) and PC the third smallest...(so class comparison-wise - they were basically 5a teams. I know you are not making a class argument, but just throwing that out there)

Naz played ONEod team alls eaosn in JC -not a great team but good team-and had tow in on a b,ocked fg at home 24-21.
Also basically top 5 every other year.
Cary had 300 yards rushing on PC, more first downs (22-19) and 9 more mins on TOP

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT