ADVERTISEMENT

Zero HC NV reaction?

HC missing key part due to prior week ejection.

Who wants to shame a 17 yr old kid? Crappy way for a really good football team to finish.

I was there so let me try. IF it wasn't for 3 NV turnovers the score would have been worse than 29-26. NV was balanced and kept a HC defense on their toes all night. That last TD NV scored though. My goodness. Ball on the 8. Pitch gets dropped by the RB and 2 HC defenders had a chance to fall on it and miss it and the RB picked it up and scored. I've never seen anything like it.

HC scored with 5 min left but only had 1 timeout and never got the ball back. To be fair, HC's 6'7" QB was hurt and didn't play and their Center was suspended, but it wasn't the offense's fault. HC only stopped NV on turnovers. By the way, when a WR can run by anyone in the entire Chicagoland area use him will ya?

I was there so let me try. IF it wasn't for 3 NV turnovers the score would have been worse than 29-26. NV was balanced and kept a HC defense on their toes all night. That last TD NV scored though. My goodness. Ball on the 8. Pitch gets dropped by the RB and 2 HC defenders had a chance to fall on it and miss it and the RB picked it up and scored. I've never seen anything like it.

HC scored with 5 min left but only had 1 timeout and never got the ball back. To be fair, HC's 6'7" QB was hurt and didn't play and their Center was suspended, but it wasn't the offense's fault. HC only stopped NV on turnovers. By the way, when a WR can run by anyone in the entire Chicagoland area use him will ya?

This is the 3rd game in a row (HS, OP, NV) where HC defense has not got it done. On top of that, they drew NV in 1st round. You had to see this coming.

Defense was HCs problem all season against big boy teams and could not get off the field yesterday. Passing game non-existent yesterday due to combination of reasons including missing starting QB and #2 WR....missing starting center did not help either. Nequa deserved the win for sure...

Defense was HCs problem all season against big boy teams and could not get off the field yesterday. Passing game non-existent yesterday due to combination of reasons including missing starting QB and #2 WR....missing starting center did not help either. Nequa deserved the win for sure...

Passing game was not bad. Is the #1 QB that much better? OK he underthrew a deep ball to #1 (the speed merchant I mentioned) but I think if HC had more faith in him the offense would be a little better. Having that said, the offense was NOT the problem last night. In 8A you need to have some sort of defense. HC would have given up 50 if NV needed to. They were outmatched and all 9 D-lineman they used didn't do much of anything. I mean, at some point you have to think about playing players both ways (maybe they were I wasn't paying full attention) or figuring out what the defense can do instead of what you want the defense to do.

Gooms,

Very good point. The fact that #5 is not playing at one of the LB positions is insane...the kid can certainly run the ball, but I've seen him play Defense and he's just as good in coverage and tackles like a house. It's sad to say he just finished his last game of football because there is so much still left on the table for him!

Passing game was not bad. Is the #1 QB that much better? OK he underthrew a deep ball to #1 (the speed merchant I mentioned) but I think if HC had more faith in him the offense would be a little better. Having that said, the offense was NOT the problem last night. In 8A you need to have some sort of defense. HC would have given up 50 if NV needed to. They were outmatched and all 9 D-lineman they used didn't do much of anything. I mean, at some point you have to think about playing players both ways (maybe they were I wasn't paying full attention) or figuring out what the defense can do instead of what you want the defense to do.

Gooms,

Very good point. The fact that #5 is not playing at one of the LB positions is insane...the kid can certainly run the ball, but I've seen him play Defense and he's just as good in coverage and tackles like a house. It's sad to say he just finished his last game of football because there is so much still left on the table for him!
NV had several of their studs playing both ways and making a difference. Agree that HC d- line was an issue and they definitely had no 2-way players going

A positive note on Hinsdale Central's football program, in light of the disappointing finish to this year's season, which involved mishaps that were out of anyone's control:

Dan Hartman is a great coach, and what Hinsdale Central's program has been looking for, for years. The rest of the staff has the passion as to make it what it used to be, namely, a program which fields teams that are beastly. Hartman is a coach whose philosophy of football is deep to the extent that two years is simply not enough time for its 'full stop execution.'

Lastly, as a Hinsdale Central alum, hats off to the players this year. I very much so enjoyed watching this team and am indebted to the hard work I know they put into this season, which allowed for such enjoyment to even be possible. They are a great group of kids and have nothing to regret whatsoever.

Congratulations to Neuqua Valley on a well deserved win. They played extremely hard all game long.

P.S.

I almost forgot: this was the last year of o-line coach Gary Gamen. The man has captured the respect of every person he has come across in the Chicagoland area. He is an intimate part of the character that each player who has played under him now has, and in a very good way. I may be mistaken but I think Tom Dorrance was also in his last season as a coach as well (he's a DB coach). Coach Dorrance is an amazing, graceful person who positively affects every kid he comes across. So cheers to both of these men. I believe that the positive impact they have on our world should never be marginalized, and so I feel it's important to mention their leaving Hinsdale Central.

Last edited:
Reactions: john1622
I watched this game on TV. HC has been trending down for several weeks now, starting with the HS game. Maybe injuries, but maybe something else. If injuries, you play kids both ways, at least at critical times during the game. But, at some point, you have to question team character. It seems, that when the going gets tough, HC tends to check out, step back, or roll over. Think of it another way: install the HS program at HC and I think you get much better results at HC.

Edit: I think I was writing this just as the previous post was made. No offense and was not aware of your post until this was posted. But, I stand by my observations, at least until the HC team proves me wrong.

Last edited:
Let me outline my observations. I start with last season, when I saw HC quit a game against GW with more than 4 min remaining in the game. They went on to recover from that, but then came this season. After beating Lyons, they entered the HS game on a high, but as that game wore on, they struggled. Then, they played OPRF (a team, I might add, that continues to improve inspite of injuries), and before they got beat, saw a key player lose his cool and get kicked off the field. Finally, they started last night's game on a very soft note, and ended the same way. In reality, NV was 2 turnovers away from making the game a laugher. That's what I mean by trending down.

As for my comment about HS, I think that team plays with as much heart and toughness as anyone in the state. That program lacks about 4 or 5 kids, and they can beat anyone in illinois. If I were going to hire a coach, the HS guy wins, hands down. Wanting to win and doing what it takes to win are 2 very different things. Finally, I believe the HS coach would cut off his left arm before quiting a game.

As a GW fan, I like the HC coach right where he is.

Let me outline my observations. I start with last season, when I saw HC quit a game against GW with more than 4 min remaining in the game. They went on to recover from that, but then came this season. After beating Lyons, they entered the HS game on a high, but as that game wore on, they struggled. Then, they played OPRF (a team, I might add, that continues to improve inspite of injuries), and before they got beat, saw a key player lose his cool and get kicked off the field. Finally, they started last night's game on a very soft note, and ended the same way. In reality, NV was 2 turnovers away from making the game a laugher. That's what I mean by trending down.

As for my comment about HS, I think that team plays with as much heart and toughness as anyone in the state. That program lacks about 4 or 5 kids, and they can beat anyone in illinois. If I were going to hire a coach, the HS guy wins, hands down. Wanting to win and doing what it takes to win are 2 very different things. Finally, I believe the HS coach would cut off his left arm before quiting a game.

As a GW fan, I like the HC coach right where he is.

Chuck,
As a HS supporter with a kid on the team, I think your comments in this respect are pretty accurate. Coach Barry and his staff get the most out of what they have to work with than many larger programs they face during the regular season. Can you picture the little brother who just want to kick the sh!t out of his big brother. That is HS, and coach Barry instills in his team every day starting in June that they can play with anyone and are as good as anyone, no matter what anyone else says. Whether they be an 8A team, or whatever, HS will show-up and go to war. That is just how they look at it. Yea, they may come up short, but it will never be due to being scared, intimidated or a lack of effort.

Having played HC every year, not so sure I agree with your assessment, as they are pretty tough when we play. I seem to recall a number of injuries playing a role in last years game.

A positive note on Hinsdale Central's football program, in light of the disappointing finish to this year's season, which involved mishaps that were out of anyone's control:

Dan Hartman is a great coach, and what Hinsdale Central's program has been looking for, for years. The rest of the staff has the passion as to make it what it used to be, namely, a program which fields teams that are beastly. By beastly, I mean no-doubt-about-it 8A contender teams, with at least quarter final appearances, year in and year out.

Hartman is a coach whose philosophy of football is deep to the extent that two years is simply not enough time for its 'full stop execution' thereof, as it were.

Furthermore, their strength and speed coach was in his first year this season (in the most salient sense, for those of you who know the background of that story), and so presumably Central's overall athleticism will grow from here on out (that is, if you assume that this strength coach is a scientific guru, which I do). There is a lot to be excited about with respect to Central's near future.

Lastly, as a Hinsdale Central alum, hats off to the players this year. I very much so enjoyed watching this team and am indebted to the hard work I know they put into this season, which allowed for such enjoyment to even be possible. They are a great group of kids and have nothing to regret whatsoever. To be honest, I don't think anyone is ever in control of the way the cards fall (I lost in the first round on what has been called an 'immaculate reception', so this point is very biased), and I hope that the players of Hinsdale Central understand this, even if only in a subtle intuitive sense, as to cushion any sorrow they feel (perhaps I'm speaking to myself more so than anything else, lol!).

Congratulations to Neuqua Valley on a well deserved win. They played extremely hard all game long. And cheers to Illinois high school football in the broadest sense possible.

How lucky are we all to be able to reap some of the fruits of these young men? We're so damn lucky.

Cheers to the rest of the season!

P.S.

Wow, I almost forgot: this was the last year of o-line coach Gary Gamen. The man has captured the respect of every person he has come across in the Chicagoland area. He is an intimate part of the character that each player who has played under him now has, and in a very good way. I may be mistaken but I think Tom Dorrance was also in his last season as a coach as well (he's a DB coach). Coach Dorrance is an amazing, graceful person who positively affects every kid he comes across. So cheers to both of these men. I believe that the positive impact they have on our world should never be marginalized, and so I feel it's important to mention their leaving Hinsdale Central. It brings me to tears thinking about how much I owe and yet simply can't pay back to them. I can only aspire to do something likewise. May whatever has sovereignty over this universe bless those men.

Get a load of this guy...

Chuck,
As a HS supporter with a kid on the team, I think your comments in this respect are pretty accurate. Coach Barry and his staff get the most out of what they have to work with than many larger programs they face during the regular season. Can you picture the little brother who just want to kick the sh!t out of his big brother. That is HS, and coach Barry instills in his team every day starting in June that they can play with anyone and are as good as anyone, no matter what anyone else says. Whether they be an 8A team, or whatever, HS will show-up and go to war. That is just how they look at it. Yea, they may come up short, but it will never be due to being scared, intimidated or a lack of effort.

Having played HC every year, not so sure I agree with your assessment, as they are pretty tough when we play. I seem to recall a number of injuries playing a role in last years game.

Agreed. I've seen the South staff take a 2-7 team and make them a 5-4 team. It's all about getting the kids to buy in and overachieve.

i have to ask the hs cadre out there, what happened in the willowbrook game?

Last edited:
HC has shown a lack of discipline with personal fouls and in this case it cost them big time. You can't take a kid like Allen out and be the same team.

i have to ask the hs cadre out there, what happened in the willowbrook game?

JC,
That was well documented in a thread after the loss. WB played very well and HS did not play up to their ability. Maybe a case of taking WB lightly and got caught looking past them. Bad games all around.

In the long run, this loss may be a net positive and seemed to be a wake-up call.

May want to dig up HS vs WB thread to get details.

JC,
That was well documented in a thread after the loss. WB played very well and HS did not play up to their ability. Maybe a case of taking WB lightly and got caught looking past them. Bad games all around.

In the long run, this loss may be a net positive and seemed to be a wake-up call.

May want to dig up HS vs WB thread to get details.

I remember Coach Hanson laying out the particulars pretty clearly and accepting responsibility for the lack of focus.

Reactions: CoachHansen05
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT