ADVERTISEMENT

Your Favorite HS Football Player When You Were a Little Kid

Not a little kid, as I was in junior high when they were in high school, but I loved watching Damien Anderson and Brady Wilkins. Nothing beat watching them shred up a 3A defense.

Reactions: EdgyTim
I was probably in 6th or 7th grade but Joey Goodspeed of Oswego was my football camp counselor. That dude was a monster in high school. Ended up playing at ND and in the NFL. Manchild. So fun to watch when he was in high school.
A few pretty good RBs coming out of Oswego back then. Absolutely, top of the list was Goodspeed back then-but others like Wulf and Bailey had success also, but Goodspeed was a different level. I was probably a Runkle fan out of Yorkville-later was fortunate to play with his brother, Vaughn also of Yorkville, Perez & Sweeney LBs of West Aurora, David Zeitz and Jaime Wu of St. Charles, Forrest and Kreitz of Waubonsie Valley, Ruff, Hultgren and Valle of East Aurora. So, some of those I looked up to and others just had a lot of respect playing against them.

A few pretty good RBs coming out of Oswego back then. Absolutely, top of the list was Goodspeed back then-but others like Wulf and Bailey had success also, but Goodspeed was a different level. I was probably a Runkle fan out of Yorkville-later was fortunate to play with his brother, Vaughn also of Yorkville, Perez & Sweeney LBs of West Aurora, David Zeitz and Jaime Wu of St. Charles, Forrest and Kreitz of Waubonsie Valley, Ruff, Hultgren and Valle of East Aurora. So, some of those I looked up to and others just had a lot of respect playing against them.
You listed a lot of guys I grew up with and still friends with. Goodspeed’s nephew is playing at Geneva and also the nephew of a guy you likely played with AU (Modaff)

Jaime Wu was also a counselor at that same camp!

Other names from that were all at the same camp:
Ben Sankey, Marquess Sullivan, Famous Hulbert

You listed a lot of guys I grew up with and still friends with. Goodspeed’s nephew is playing at Geneva and also the nephew of a guy you likely played with AU (Modaff)
Silagi, Natividad, Draper, Cooney, Walsh, Smith, and the list of Sweegians goes on and on. I might have shared a pizza or two with Modaff at the Shore Club......

I grew up in Deerfield back when they were pretty dominant. Had a few favorites, QB Mark Carlson and RB Dave Persak from the 75 championship team. From the 77 runner up champ DT John Murphy, RB/S Rick Harris, DB Brian Collins and FB John Sweeney (ND starter back in the day). Missing many more from that era.

Reactions: ignazio and Bowie50
SR and STL had some battles, one game coming down to a 2pt conv
correct?
‘79 21-20 in front of 23k at Soldier Field. St. Laurence was the better team that year but a great 4th qtr by St. Rita set up the 2pt chance that was denied. Not last play of the game tho bc I want to say St. Rita had one more desperation chance but a great game nonetheless

Reactions: Gene K.
SR and STL had some battles, one game coming down to a 2pt conv
correct?
‘73 I was younger obviously but King was a beast. His 2pt conversion tied the game 20-20 but that was with about 10 minutes left to go. St. Laurence won in overtime. Thanks for the trip down memory lane Krock

Reactions: Gene K.
Two of mine were actually only a little older than me and to this day I consider both great friends.

James Randle- Joliet Catholic
Anthony Herron- Bolingbrook

Two of the best to play...even better guys off the field.

Played Triple A ball with the Angels for several seasons. I think he’s the all time HR leader for the York Revolution. Coaches baseball in York, PA area.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT