ADVERTISEMENT

Your Favorite HS Football Player When You Were a Little Kid

Bowie50

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2013
Perhaps this topic has been covered over the years, but what the heck, I’m bored as f%#* and the kids are screaming. Here are my favorite players to watch when I was in grade school:

Jack Prikos #30 LA RB circa 1990 and George Poorman Fremd 1988

My son’s is Jake Marwede TE LA 2017

Last edited:
I liked John Furjanic. QB on MC’s state runner up team in 86. Also, Tight End Mark Norville. His diving, last second catch in the rain against Homewood Flossmoor in the 1988 quarter finals was the stuff of legend!

Reactions: BornNRazed
I was a big fan of Kent Graham, thought it was really cool to play against a guy going to ND. That was the reason I started following Notre Dame and became a fan.

Reactions: Bowie50
Perhaps this topic has been covered over the years, but what the heck, I’m bored as f%#* and the kids are screaming. Here are my favorite players to watch when I was in grade school:

Jack Prikos #30 LA RB circa 1990 and George Poorman Fremd 1988

My son’s is Jake Marwede TE LA 2017
Poorman ended up at ND, right?

HS as a kid? None. I was obsessed with Pat Tillman in HS though
Ryan Gallagher LA RB
Adrian Autry LA RB
Jamie Baisley LA DB
Peter Patton LA QB
Peter Gorman LA DB
great list! Gorman, Connelly and I were co-captains of our varsity team. Gorman did it all. Absolute stud. Crazy, I was just thinking about him yesterday. He started on varsity as a soph. Rare at LA under Hoerster. Played RB, P returner, DB and he punted his senior year. Not to mention he is hilarious. Connelly was one bad mother and was one of my closest friends. Did you play at LA?

Last edited:
This Carmel fan has to admit John Foley from Rita was something to see, man among boys when he played.

McCaravan:

Indeed Foley was someone to be seen.

Shortly after graduating from college and settling temporarily in Elmhurst, I became addicted to Illinois high school football. Though Elmhurst Immaculate Conception's Kevin Strasser was one of my early favorites, I soon developed the habit of driving into Chicago to watch CCL games. When I did, I witnessed some of the best football I've ever seen.

While Mendel was in decline by the late 70s and early 80s, I shifted to MC and SR. My first experience seeing Foley left an indelible impression: This man would be playing big-time football, and perhaps he would enjoy a career in the NFL. While most recall Foley for delivering payoff blows on defense, my recollections of him was his play in the offensive backfield. In one game (I do not recall the opponent), Foley carried the ball over twenty times and with every attempt, Foley struck blow after blow on tacklers.

At the time, I was convinced he would make an effective fullback on a premier college football program. Lou Holtz though otherwise. A naturally physical player, Foley accepted a scholarship to ND and what I though would be a promising career, complete with an All-American tag, worked out to be an injury-plagued college experience. I am fairly confident he suffered two major injuries. The first, I think, was a chipped vertebrae and the second was an injury to a nerve.

Despite this setback, I understand he graduated and works downtown. Good for him.

John Karpowicz and Bob Westercamp. Some of my first games as a kid were watching these Montini legends. Great pass/catch combo.

Reactions: Wassup13
great list! Gorman, Connelly and I were co-captains of our varsity team. Gorman did it all. Absolute stud. Crazy, I was just thinking about him yesterday. He started on varsity as a soph. Rare at LA under Hoerster. Played RB, P returner, DB and he punted his senior year. Not to mention he is hilarious. Connelly was one bad mother and was one of my closest friends. Did you play at LA?
I did class of 97

Jimmy Tomaska was also a stud.

Never watched high school football until I was in high school. We had pick up games with kids in the neighborhood and everyone wanted to run over every kid on the other team and be like Walter Payton.

Reactions: Gene K.
John Karpowicz and Bob Westercamp. Some of my first games as a kid were watching these Montini legends. Great pass/catch combo.

My classmates along with Coach Bu! Who was your relative on the team? If you want to keep it confidential I understand.

Reactions: USD24
This is a crazy thread I played against and know a lot of these guys but growing up in grammar school I have to go with MC DE Scott McCabe.

Joey Gorman - RB St Rita, Dan Gregus - St Laurence (played with his brother Kurt at St Patricia) and Mike Tomczak TF North

McCaravan:

Indeed Foley was someone to be seen.

Shortly after graduating from college and settling temporarily in Elmhurst, I became addicted to Illinois high school football. Though Elmhurst Immaculate Conception's Kevin Strasser was one of my early favorites, I soon developed the habit of driving into Chicago to watch CCL games. When I did, I witnessed some of the best football I've ever seen.

While Mendel was in decline by the late 70s and early 80s, I shifted to MC and SR. My first experience seeing Foley left an indelible impression: This man would be playing big-time football, and perhaps he would enjoy a career in the NFL. While most recall Foley for delivering payoff blows on defense, my recollections of him was his play in the offensive backfield. In one game (I do not recall the opponent), Foley carried the ball over twenty times and with every attempt, Foley struck blow after blow on tacklers.

At the time, I was convinced he would make an effective fullback on a premier college football program. Lou Holtz though otherwise. A naturally physical player, Foley accepted a scholarship to ND and what I though would be a promising career, complete with an All-American tag, worked out to be an injury-plagued college experience. I am fairly confident he suffered two major injuries. The first, I think, was a chipped vertebrae and the second was an injury to a nerve.

Despite this setback, I understand he graduated and works downtown. Good for him.
Yes, I read an article about him not long ago how he took advantage of the ND education after a career ending injury and is doing very well in the business world. He was actually Prop 48 coming out of high school too.

My favorite was Norman Shields, 1984 Althoff. My best friend’s older brother and cousins were tough guys - street fighters who went to West. It was commonly held that Norman was the toughest of all school boys in town and local area. That’s when dudes would fight regularly. Just to see who was tough.

That he was held in such high esteem by the jocks and stoners - and he moved between both crowds - I thought that was cool! Everyone liked him - he was just a bad ass.

His “little brother,” Keke, was on the 1986 team peppered with older brothers of my class. Keke once weighed in at 278 for a wrestling match, took a crap that cleared the room then made weight.

His “little brother,” Keke, was on the 1986 team peppered with older brothers of my class. Keke once weighed in at 278 for a wrestling match, took a crap that cleared the room then made weight.
I wish they had an upper limit for the Heavy Weight class back in the late 70's - early 80's. My Wrestling weight was typically about 220# and it wasn't even unusual for me to have to wrestle kids that weighed 450# (double my weight). You don't even have to be good to be dangerous to your opponent when you are twice their mass.

Back then, there was the 185# class and then only one unlimited Heavy Weight class above that (in high school at least).

Like a few others have said here, as a kid, I didn't have any HS athlete idols or favorites. No disrespect, but I was reaching a lot higher than that.

Reactions: Wassup13
ADVERTISEMENT