ADVERTISEMENT

WWS 26. Brother Rice 27…. Final

The WWS staff and players deserve praise. They fought tooth and nail and forced several turnovers.

Throughout the night, this game had that eerie upset vibe. Roughing the kicker, dropped passes, INTs, and fumbles were all examples of BR's inability to get out of their own way. Again, WWS deserves credit.

Lausch wasn't superman for the first time this season. But that's more of a reflection of how great he's been during the regular season and the WWS defense's stinginess.

The BR defense was put in difficult situations several times due to turnovers and responded well.

In the end, after watching a lot of high school football for the past ten weeks, there is no clear favorite this year in 7 or 8A. Every squad has flaws that can be exposed and exploited.

Survive and advance

BTW These dukane conference teams can coach. They make the most of their talent and size.

Any game between Batavia, Wheaton North, MC, and BR will come down to the fourth quarter. One of the great aspects about athletics is that having the most talent does not automatically imply winning.

The following four weeks will be exciting.

The WWS staff and players deserve praise. They fought tooth and nail and forced several turnovers.

Throughout the night, this game had that eerie upset vibe. Roughing the kicker, dropped passes, INTs, and fumbles were all examples of BR's inability to get out of their own way. Again, WWS deserves credit.

Lausch wasn't superman for the first time this season. But that's more of a reflection of how great he's been during the regular season and the WWS defense's stinginess.

The BR defense was put in difficult situations several times due to turnovers and responded well.

In the end, after watching a lot of high school football for the past ten weeks, there is no clear favorite this year in 7 or 8A. Every squad has flaws that can be exposed and exploited.

Survive and advance

BTW These dukane conference teams can coach. They make the most of their talent and size.

Any game between Batavia, Wheaton North, MC, and BR will come down to the fourth quarter. One of the great aspects about athletics is that having the most talent does not automatically imply winning.

The following four weeks will be exciting.
Fantastic synopsis. Call me superstitious……. The ONLY reason I replied earlier in the week that this game felt eerily familiar to Fremd/Rice in 2016. I couldn’t tell you how many Saturday games BR played that year……. But the Saturday @ 6 start for this game seems to take these kids out of their normal routines of Friday night games, attending school all day beforehand……. Spending an entire day on Saturday thinking about nothing but the upcoming game may not be the best thing for these kids.

Other then that, outstanding game, better then the College options last night! WWS defense played great.😀
You must have not been watching SMU at Houston (both now 7-1) on at 6pm ESPN2. The Mustangs tied the game at 37 with a 45-yard FG with 30 secs. left. Cougs run the ensuing KO out of their endzone for a 100+ yard TD (SMU had a 100+ yarder to start the 2nd half). Houston assessed a 15-yd penalty before their KO to SMU and the Ponies get good field position. Although having a last second Hail Mary succeed a few weeks ago for a win - not this time. So 44-37 final to Houston. Fantastic to have both a great HS and college game to track!

Fantastic synopsis. Call me superstitious……. The ONLY reason I replied earlier in the week that this game felt eerily familiar to Fremd/Rice in 2016. I couldn’t tell you how many Saturday games BR played that year……. But the Saturday @ 6 start for this game seems to take these kids out of their normal routines of Friday night games, attending school all day beforehand……. Spending an entire day on Saturday thinking about nothing but the upcoming game may not be the best thing for these kids.

All great minus the fact that last night was the first time all year WWS played on a Saturday.

Reactions: FalconPadre
Driving from DuPage County to BR's Tally's Corner neighborhood using the construction-choked Tri-State during Friday rush hour is not necessarily part of the "best things for these kids" either?

Driving from DuPage County to BR's Tally's Corner neighborhood using the construction-choked Tri-State during Friday rush hour is not necessarily part of the "best things for these kids" either?
Take 80 to the “new” 355 extension. Avoid 294 at all costs

Reactions: corey90
Can't remember when Rice's pass to the tackle on a 2 point conversion happened (I think 1st half) but watching it live on BR's stream, it was so obviously short of the goal line. This picture pretty much confirms that:

That game was killing me. There were some questionable calls all night both ways but WWS might've gotten the preponderance. Wanted to go back to watch the game but BR always takes their games off Youtube after the game.

Reactions: ckclassof2000
Can't remember when Rice's pass to the tackle on a 2 point conversion happened (I think 1st half) but watching it live on BR's stream, it was so obviously short of the goal line. This picture pretty much confirms that:

That game was killing me. There were some questionable calls all night both ways but WWS might've gotten the preponderance. Wanted to go back to watch the game but BR always takes their games off Youtube after the game.
Even from the You Tube view last night you could tell his knees were clearly down. Camera didn’t follow the offense PI call on BR well so I can’t comment on that call but the BR stands didn’t sound happy.
They’ll never invest in replay of course, but if it’s close they need to make the call, then confer, then make the call, especially in the playoffs

Even from the You Tube view last night you could tell his knees were clearly down. Camera didn’t follow the offense PI call on BR well so I can’t comment on that call but the BR stands didn’t sound happy.
They’ll never invest in replay of course, but if it’s close they need to make the call, then confer, then make the call, especially in the playoffs
Yeah well we can't rely on the BR crowd. I rewinded the OPI call and slowed it down and it looked like Lyons could have pushed off. Back judge was right there and threw the flag immediately. There was a very confusing intentional grounding called on Lausch in the first half. I feel like there were others but they're not coming to mind at the moment. Officials have to be absolutely sure this time of year.

Seems lighter? It is lighter. People are lazy and don’t want to go back to work ever since the $600 stipend was in affect. Now that’s it gone people still don’t want to work. Don’t get me started! Lol 🤮
Families came to realize that one paycheck plus eliminating the cost of child care was a wash.

Families came to realize that one paycheck plus eliminating the cost of child care was a wash.
You might be right! That said eventually the money needs to be made to keep them from drowning. Only time will tell. In any case it doesn’t feel right and I can feel the chill of something bad happening in the near future. I hope I am wrong but something doesn’t feel right.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
Yeah well we can't rely on the BR crowd. I rewinded the OPI call and slowed it down and it looked like Lyons could have pushed off. Back judge was right there and threw the flag immediately. There was a very confusing intentional grounding called on Lausch in the first half. I feel like there were others but they're not coming to mind at the moment. Officials have to be absolutely sure this time of year.
Don’t quote me on this, but the rules for grounding in high school are different then NCAA and NFL. You can’t throw the out of bounds even if your outside the box. There was a call on MC similar this year and I was told the rules were different.

Reactions: krock the house
Don’t quote me on this, but the rules for grounding in high school are different then NCAA and NFL. You can’t throw the out of bounds even if your outside the box. There was a call on MC similar this year and I was told the rules were different.
No such thing as a tackle box in high school. Every pass you throw must be in the vicinity of an eligible receiver. If not it’s intentional grounding. God do I hate hearing that from the dads in the stands, and even worse yet coaches “he was outside the tackle box!” “Yep, still grounding, you’re still dumb”.

No such thing as a tackle box in high school. Every pass you throw must be in the vicinity of an eligible receiver. If not it’s intentional grounding. God do I hate hearing that from the dads in the stands, and even worse yet coaches “he was outside the tackle box!” “Yep, still grounding, you’re still dumb”.
"Uncatchable!"

I could have sworn I heard that a few Federation states were going to pilot using the tackle box for IG. I want to say this was as recent as '18. Haven't heard much about it since, so I'm guessing they didn't see any difference with it.

Lausch was nearly out of bounds on the far sideline and threw it even more out of bounds and the flag was thrown if I’m remembering correctly. There were definitely people in the BR stands yelling about the tackle box. It crossed my mind that the rule might be different. Not a huge fan of leaving such subjectivity as “in the vicinity“ in the hands of high school officials… unless “in the vicinity” is clearly defined. If that’s the rule then it was the right call.

Lausch was nearly out of bounds on the far sideline and threw it even more out of bounds and the flag was thrown if I’m remembering correctly. There were definitely people in the BR stands yelling about the tackle box. It crossed my mind that the rule might be different. Not a huge fan of leaving such subjectivity as “in the vicinity“ in the hands of high school officials… unless “in the vicinity” is clearly defined. If that’s the rule then it was the right call.
If he’s near out of bounds and throws it more OOB then that’s the easiest one to call. He’s throwing it where no one can catch it to avoid time/yardage loss. Easy one. In the vicinity and subjectivity is there throughout all levels. You can’t put an objective number on it because it can be 4yds too short and 3yds too wide, or 8yds short but off a yard laterally. Not to mention we can’t freeze frame it to when it hits. They’re running towards it or away so by the time you process it the players are no one where near the landing site. It’s a hard, subjective call. NFL/NCAA have philosophy guidelines on it but nothing defined.

If he’s near out of bounds and throws it more OOB then that’s the easiest one to call. He’s throwing it where no one can catch it to avoid time/yardage loss. Easy one. In the vicinity and subjectivity is there throughout all levels. You can’t put an objective number on it because it can be 4yds too short and 3yds too wide, or 8yds short but off a yard laterally. Not to mention we can’t freeze frame it to when it hits. They’re running towards it or away so by the time you process it the players are no one where near the landing site. It’s a hard, subjective call. NFL/NCAA have philosophy guidelines on it but nothing defined.
All fair points

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT