ADVERTISEMENT

WSC Wk 9 Prediction Thread

RD_Watcher

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2019
Well West Suburban Conference fans, here we are - Week 9.

DGS and York have secured the Gold and Silver titles and punched their post season ticket. Glenbard West, LT and DGN have also secured playoff appearances - GW and LT in 8A, and DGN in 7A. Still on the bubble - Willowbrook, OPRF, and HC. It's pretty likely if all 3 win, all three will get in. And if you are able to keep up with the multiple playoff prediction threads, there are scenarios where OPRF and HC could qualify for the playoffs even with a loss. I won't get into it all here but will point out OPRF has 2 more points than HC, and HC cannot make those points up. Personally - if it's do or die, I feel better about HC beating GW than I do about OPRF beating York. However, if York gets caught looking forward, it could definitely happen.

Here are the real questions, and one's that will affect our pick'em game - Is Morton going to play spoiler on the road? Does DGN or LT favor better by winning or losing this game? With more to play for, can injured and young HC match up with GW and ensure they play next week? How important is an undefeated season to York; more important than an OPRF trying to qualify?

There was some movement in our overall standings in Wk 8, mostly due to selectors not turning in their picks prior to the Thursday night game. This week, there are 2 x Thursday night games, so please be advised.

Our standing going into the final week of the regular season are:
T1 @Panthers1211 55-8
T1 @MS4EVER 55-8
3 @Alexander32 54-9
4 @Fishwater41 54-8
5 @brucealmighy 51-11
6 @chuck998 50-13
7 @Cross Bones 49-13
T8 @stl705 48-15
T8 @RD_Watcher 48-15
10 @BTOWNDawgs 46-17
11 @LakeCtyNewt 46-15
12 @Nevada Dude 43-20
13 @WBWarriorWatcher 41-14 (missed Wk6)
14 @USD24 40-9 (missed Wk1)

The Week 9 Games are:
Addison Trail (2-6) vs. Hinsdale South (3-5) Thursday, 20th
Willowbrook (4-4) vs. Morton (3-5) Thursday, 20th
Downers Grove South (5-3) vs. Leyden (2-6) Saturday, 22nd
Proviso West (2-6) vs. Proviso East (0-8)
Lyons Township (6-2) vs. Downers Grove North (6-2)
Oak Park-River Forest (4-4) vs. York (8-0)
Hinsdale Central (4-4) vs. Glenbard West (7-1) Saturday, 22nd

Hopefully this thread can limited mud slinging this week. Got heated for a few minutes last week and I wasn’t even involved in the controversy.

Hinsdale South
Willowbrook
Downers Grove South
Proviso West
Downers Grove North
York
Glenbard West

Hinsdale South (3-5) Thursday,
Willowbrook (4-4) Thursday
Downers Grove South (5-3) vs. Saturday
Proviso West (2-6)
Downers Grove North (6-2)
Oak Park-River Forest (4-4)
Hinsdale Central (4-4) Saturday

Hopefully this thread can limited mud slinging this week. Got heated for a few minutes last week and I wasn’t even involved in the controversy.
I decided not to address it, but since you brought it up....

I agree, hopefully we can all abide by the rules Edgy has put forth. I completely understand why he has drawn the line, as this forum would turn quite volatile otherwise. I also understand posters have opinions on how some programs are run - good or bad, factual or assumed, informed or misinformed. Once kids (specifically, our own kid) are involved, it is sometimes difficult to not go Daddy/Mama/Guardian Bear...

As last week was the first time Edgy had to slap our collective hand and make a correction, I am confident the situation was a one-off occurrence. I have made the mistake of posting an emotional comment before, resulting in getting scolded and a thread flushed. It happened once, and I will be sure to never let it happen again. Further, I didn't have all the relevant information before making my statements, and once I learned all the facts, completely understand why the coach I posted about made the decisions he did. Context is a hell of a humbler at times.

Hopefully we all continue to grow, learn, and improve.

Hinsdale South
Willowbrook
Downers Grove South
Proviso West
Lyons Township
York
Glenbard West

Reactions: RD_Watcher

DGS and York have secured the Gold and Silver titles and punched their post season ticket. Glenbard West, LT and DGN have also secured playoff appearances - GW and LT in 8A, and DGN in 7A. Still on the bubble - Willowbrook, OPRF, and HC. It's pretty likely if all 3 win, all three will get in. And if you are able to keep up with the multiple playoff prediction threads, there are scenarios where OPRF and HC could qualify for the playoffs even with a loss. I won't get into it all here but will point out OPRF has 2 more points than HC, and HC cannot make those points up. Personally - if it's do or die, I feel better about HC beating GW than I do about OPRF beating York. However, if York gets caught looking forward, it could definitely happen.

Here are the real questions, and one's that will affect our pick'em game - Is Morton going to play spoiler on the road? Does DGN or LT favor better by winning or losing this game? With more to play for, can injured and young HC match up with GW and ensure they play next week? How important is an undefeated season to York; more important than an OPRF trying to qualify?

There was some movement in our overall standings in Wk 8, mostly due to selectors not turning in their picks prior to the Thursday night game. This week, there are 2 x Thursday night games, so please be advised.

T1 @Panthers1211 55-8
T1 @MS4EVER 55-8
3 @Alexander32 54-9
4 @Fishwater41 54-8
5 @brucealmighy 51-11
6 @chuck998 50-13
7 @Cross Bones 49-13
T8 @stl705 48-15
T8 @RD_Watcher 48-15
10 @BTOWNDawgs 46-17
11 @LakeCtyNewt 46-15
12 @Nevada Dude 43-20

The Week 9 Games are:
Hinsdale south
DG south
Willowbrook
PW
DGN
York
GBW

Thanks for doing this every week, I got in too late too start picking but do enjoying looking at the projections every week.

I have seen every team in the WSC silver and really looking forward to DGN vs LT. Two very even teams and really the only good game on the slate this weekend

T1 @Panthers1211 55-8
T1 @MS4EVER 55-8
3 @Alexander32 54-9
4 @Fishwater41 54-8
5 @brucealmighy 51-11
6 @chuck998 50-13
7 @Cross Bones 49-13
T8 @stl705 48-15
T8 @RD_Watcher 48-15
10 @BTOWNDawgs 46-17
11 @LakeCtyNewt 46-15
12 @Nevada Dude 43-20

The Week 9 Games are:
Fishwater should be 3, 1 if you took my leyden pick

Hinsdale South (3-5)
Willowbrook (4-4)
Downers Grove South (5-3)
Proviso West (2-6)
Lyons Township (6-2)
York (8-0)
Glenbard West (7-1)

T1 @Panthers1211 55-8
T1 @MS4EVER 55-8
3 @Alexander32 54-9
4 @Fishwater41 54-8
5 @brucealmighy 51-11
6 @chuck998 50-13
7 @Cross Bones 49-13
T8 @stl705 48-15
T8 @RD_Watcher 48-15
10 @BTOWNDawgs 46-17
11 @LakeCtyNewt 46-15
12 @Nevada Dude 43-20

The Week 9 Games are:
Hinsdale South
Willowbrook
Downers Grove South
Proviso West
Downers Grove North
York
Glenbard West

Thursday night results - HS 42 - AT 14; WB 45 - Morton 33; York 34 - OPRF 8.

York finishes 9-0, the undisputed WSS Conference Champion, and for the first time in their program history, undefeated in the regular season. Likely #4 seed in 8A playoffs.

OPRF finishes 4-5, but at nearly the top of the 4-5 group in playoff points. IF a few 4-5 teams are needed to round out the 256, OPRF would be one of the first teams in (according to all the predictors).

Willowbrook finishes 5-4, with 37 points, and will likely make it into the 7A playoffs.

Hinsdale South finishes 4-5, but with only 30 playoff points (as of this morning), will not make it into the playoffs.

Morton finishes 3-6.

AT finishes 2-7.

Last edited:
Thursday night results - HS 42 - AT 14; WB 45 - Morton 33; York 34 - OPRF 8.

York finishes 9-0, the undisputed WSS Conference Champion, and for the first time in their program history, undefeated in the regular season. Likely #4 seed in 8A playoffs.

OPRF finishes 4-5, but at nearly the top of the 4-5 group in playoff points. IF a few 4-5 teams are needed to round out the 256, OPRF would be one of the first teams in (according to all the predictors).

Willowbrook finishes 5-4, with 37 points, and will likely make it into the 7A playoffs.

Hinsdale South finishes 4-5, but with only 30 playoff points (as of this morning), will not make it into the playoffs.

Morton finishes 3-6.

AT finishes 2-7.
Good to see Morton playing competitive games these days.

I would have taken the Leyden pick, and you would be 3 - if the pick had been in BEFORE the game was played.
As a general principle I believe he who does the work should get to decide an issue. As such, in my view, after all the relevant information is available, the decision is for you to make and your word is final.

With that said I would like to add some relevant information. It seems Fishwater is making two distinct comments. I will take them in the reverse order of which he made them. He said he would be tied for first place with 55 wins if his Leyden pick had been accepted. The pick was made late and was not accepted. Although Fishwater may disagree with that decision, I suspect the vast majority of participants would agree with the decision to not accept the pick.

His second comment is that even if his Leyden pick is not accepted, he should be tied for third place with me (with 54 wins). You currently show him in fourth place. I can see his point. If he can still pick 54 winners correctly even though one of his selections was (correctly) disallowed, I'm not sure why he is not tied with the other contestant who picked 54 winners. As the other contestant, I would have no problem sharing third place with him. The same circumstance seems to apply to the two contestants with 46 wins.

Ending as I began, whatever final decision you make is perfectly acceptable to me.

As a general principle I believe he who does the work should get to decide an issue. As such, in my view, after all the relevant information is available, the decision is for you to make and your word is final.

With that said I would like to add some relevant information. It seems Fishwater is making two distinct comments. I will take them in the reverse order of which he made them. He said he would be tied for first place with 55 wins if his Leyden pick had been accepted. The pick was made late and was not accepted. Although Fishwater may disagree with that decision, I suspect the vast majority of participants would agree with the decision to not accept the pick.

His second comment is that even if his Leyden pick is not accepted, he should be tied for third place with me (with 54 wins). You currently show him in fourth place. I can see his point. If he can still pick 54 winners correctly even though one of his selections was (correctly) disallowed, I'm not sure why he is not tied with the other contestant who picked 54 winners. As the other contestant, I would have no problem sharing third place with him. The same circumstance seems to apply to the two contestants with 46 wins.

Ending as I began, whatever final decision you make is perfectly acceptable to me.
I am not perfect - and may have made a mistake on my spreadsheet. Everything is automated and formulated, but when I have a one off, have to make a manual calculation. I will re look at the spreadsheet this weekend.

This is absolutely nothing personal towards anyone. I understand people have other things going on, and will not always get a pick in on time, or sometimes, at all and miss an entire week. It’s fine - we play for ego and bragging rights only.

However, I think it’s only fair to require a pick be in before a game is played. In the rankings/placings I go by wins, then losses. So if two players both have 50 wins, but one has 14 losses, and the other 13 losses - meaning the later only picked 63 games, while the former picked 64 - the 50-14 player will place higher, as they have taken 1 game more risk.

Now, being a mildly superstitious person and not wanting to put any vibes of any kind on my beloved Willowbrook Warriors I stayed away from all Thursday games. I fully realize that there is no effect at all, but if it came down to it I would have been beating myself up all winter about my bad ju-ju costing us the game.

So my Thursday picks, that rightly don’t count, would have been:

Willowbrook
Hinsdale South
York

I’m happy to exchange the win for the lost games in the prediction standings

Now for the rest:
Downers Grove South
Proviso West
DGN
Glenbard West

Can’t wait for the second season!

Reactions: MS4EVER
I am not perfect - and may have made a mistake on my spreadsheet. Everything is automated and formulated, but when I have a one off, have to make a manual calculation. I will re look at the spreadsheet this weekend.

This is absolutely nothing personal towards anyone. I understand people have other things going on, and will not always get a pick in on time, or sometimes, at all and miss an entire week. It’s fine - we play for ego and bragging rights only.

However, I think it’s only fair to require a pick be in before a game is played. In the rankings/placings I go by wins, then losses. So if two players both have 50 wins, but one has 14 losses, and the other 13 losses - meaning the later only picked 63 games, while the former picked 64 - the 50-14 player will place higher, as they have taken 1 game more risk.
Thank you for taking the time to respond and sharing your thoughts on the matter. I don't see a need for you to take even more time by reviewing your spreadsheet because, based on your explanation in your third paragraph, your formulas seem to be working in the manner you intended.

Thanks for all the work you've put in with running this thread.

Alright all - Week 9 is complete. Unfortunately for 8 of our WSC teams, equipment turn-in begins today; while the other 6 teams begin the journey that is the State Championship Tournament. Good luck to Willowbrook and DGN in 7A, and DGS, LT, York, and Glenbard West in 8A.

Week 9 also brings an end to our regular season game. For fun, I will do a WSC Playoff prediction thread, but that will not affect our overall standings.

This week, all 14 regular selectors participated, although one chose not to enter Thursday night games, so we had only 95 selections instead of the standard 98. The board did have an 87.37% correct rate this week, which raised our season rate 3/4 of a point to finish at 80.34%. 4 players had perfect 7-0 pick sheets, 8 went 6-1, 1 was 4-3, and 1 went 3-1.

Additionally, the board finished the season 100% correct on 4 games (all WSG participating games), while the game with the most contention was the LT vs DGN game was only 35.71% correctly picked.

I'll make another thread post with the full roll up and final standings for the year.

Good luck to all still playing!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT