ADVERTISEMENT

Who wins tiebreaker on pts for #1 seed in 8A - Rice or LWE

Topiary

Jul 9, 2001
So appears Rice will be the smallest 8A team of the 32 (Glenbard East drops down to 7A)
So looks like LWE will have 45 playoff pts and assuming Loyola/Rita both win then Rice will have 45 pts - both will be 9-0
Who gets the #1 seed and the right to host Zion-Benton?

So appears Rice will be the smallest 8A team of the 32 (Glenbard East drops down to 7A)
So looks like LWE will have 45 playoff pts and assuming Loyola/Rita both win then Rice will have 45 pts - both will be 9-0
Who gets the #1 seed and the right to host Zion-Benton?
Next tie breaker is of the games you've won, what do they have for playoff points... I think.

Rice would then have some high ticket teams like Marist and Loyola who have a lot of playoff pts.

Selecting the Playoff Teams
The first step is to select the 256 playoff teams. The process proceeds as follows:

1. All champions of conferences with six or more teams receive a playoff berth. Two-team ties are broken on the basis of head-to-head competition when those teams have played during the regular season. Three- and four-way ties are broken by eliminating teams according to the following steps. If, after any step is applied, only two teams remain, the head-to-head matchup determines the champion.
    1. Most wins in all conference games.
    2. Any team that has defeated all the other tied teams.
    3. If all tied teams played each other, fewest total points allowed in those games.
    4. If all tied teams played each other, highest point differential in those games (from -14 to 14 points in each game).
    5. Fewest total points allowed in all conference games.
    6. Highest point differential in all conference games (from -14 to 14 points in each game).
    7. Most wins in all games.
    8. Random drawing by IHSA Office.

1. The remaining schools are sorted by three categories:
    1. First, by total wins
    2. Second, by combined wins of all opponents
    3. Third, by combined wins of all defeated opponents

1. Starting at the top of this sorted list, the teams are added to the playoff field until the 256-team limit is reached. In the event of a tie for the 256th position, the following tiebreakers are applied:
    1. Head-to-head competition (if the teams have met)
    2. Number of teams played that qualified for the playoffs
    3. Number of wins by teams played that qualified for the playoffs
    4. Points allowed in games against teams that qualified for the playoffs
    5. Coin flip

My legalese is rusty. Can someone translate into layman’s terms?

Both are 9-0.
Both have 45 playoff points (all the teams they have played and their wins.

What next? They are both 9-0 so they defeated all the teams. They can’t go to the teams they lost to for figuring out those teams win loss records.

The list says
1. Wins both 9-0
2. Opponents wins...if same
3. Wins of defeated opponents...still would be the same at 9-0

4. Head to head if applies... it doesn’t
5. Random computer selection

If they tie playoff points a computer will give Rice or LWE #1

Of course I could be wrong, but I have BR = 45 and LWE = 44 playoff points.
1 BR; 2 LWE; 3 Oswego; 4 HF; 5 Marist; 6 Maine South..............
If I am correct and seeds play out - 4 v 5 hell of game to see who gets Rice.
I like LWE at #2

It's Lincoln-Way East's title to lose. The only team capable of beating the Beast is the Beast itself. But that seldom happens with Zvonar's teams

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT