ADVERTISEMENT

Which State Titles games would have had different outcomes with replay?

I still remember that play like yesterday watching that game from the stands it was just a terrible call. Of all the WC/WWS I have seen that was the most depressing loss I can remember.

I'll start.1:48.39 mark if link doesn't work.

God MC played so bad that game, McGrew had 4 INTS, we couldn’t get a drive going, WWS outplayed us the entire game until that call and then MC woke up...I remember the camera focused in on that DB after the game, Thorne was consoling him, he just looked stunned. MC got a gift with that one

I'll start.1:48.39 mark if link doesn't work.

After watching lousy performances by the Bears, Hawks and White Sox ... finally, something to enjoy. If it makes the WWS guys feel any better, we got jobbed by a ridiculous "roughing the kicker" penalty four years later against MS that gave them an easy OT field goal for a victory.

Worst call in the history of sports. Right up there with the Patriots - Raiders "non-fumble" that led to NE's undeserved super bowl.

God MC played so bad that game, McGrew had 4 INTS, we couldn’t get a drive going, WWS outplayed us the entire game until that call and then MC woke up...I remember the camera focused in on that DB after the game, Thorne was consoling him, he just looked stunned. MC got a gift with that one
That DB should receive reparations from the IHSA for the emotional and psychological damage they caused.

He really could have easily thrown 6 INT's when u go back and watch the game. Kudos to the defense in that one.

Reactions: McCaravan
Worst call in the history of sports. Right up there with the Patriots - Raiders "non-fumble" that led to NE's undeserved super bowl.

Worst ever?

How 'bout game 6 of the '85 World Series?

How 'bout the the Dempsey/ Tunney "long count" ?

How 'bout avoiding superlatives.

Reactions: Bowie50
A question I would ask is: How do we know a replay would overturn any call made on the field, which is being discussed here? I have seen some replays that look pretty clear to overturn a call, only to have the final call go the other way.

The 1885 World Series?
I was 12 and this was the greatest injustice I experienced up to that point in life.

It was the 9th inning of Game Six - the Cardinals were on the cusp of closing the series with Todd Worrell - rookie sensation closer - on the hill in the 1-0 game with no one out. A tapper to first - Jack Clark fields it clean and tosses to Worrell, who beat KC's Jorge Orta to the bag.

The first base umpire, Don Dinkenger, blew the call - said the runner was safe.

The wheels fell off the bus and KC wins that game 2-1 and the next night smokes the Redbirds 11-0.

I was 12 and this was the greatest injustice I experienced up to that point in life.

It was the 9th inning of Game Six - the Cardinals were on the cusp of closing the series with Todd Worrell - rookie sensation closer - on the hill in the 1-0 game with no one out. A tapper to first - Jack Clark fields it clean and tosses to Worrell, who beat KC's Jorge Orta to the bag.

The first base umpire, Don Dinkenger, blew the call - said the runner was safe.

The wheels fell off the bus and KC wins that game 2-1 and the next night smokes the Redbirds 11-0.
That call by Denkinger in 1985 was certainly a bad one. Replay would have over turned it. However, it was the first out of the inning and there is no guarantee the Royals wouldn't have scored the runs they did in the 8th inning, whether Denkinger blew the call or not. Todd Worrell could have gotten the next three outs and the call would have been forgotten. It's like Blaming Steve Bartman and we all know how that whole thing exploded.

Different situations call for different pitches, so the whole paradigm would have changed. And who knows? Maybe the Royals would have scored more runs. If it was the 3rd out and the inning was extended, I would agree it changed the game.

Stevenson vs HF in 2014. There is no way the Stevenson running back broke the goal line on their first touchdown on 4th down.

if it doesnt have to be in the final game, i'll go with 2016 8A. West Aurora beats maine south in first round if not for two bad goal line calls in 4th quarter.

That was a classic game! Forgot all about it too. That is the beauty of Youtube, you can find basically anything on there.
Except the 80s state championships unfortunately :(. If anyone has them or knows where they are, specifically the Marian Central State Championship games, I would love to see them! @EdgyTim

Yeah, Carmel woke up. They were daydreaming for a while, like I did in high school. But McGrew redeemed himself with that 41-yard option run. They weren't given the game; they had to take it.

Last edited:
not sure this question has ever been asked in 20 years! Good one!

JCA vs WWS 92 I think (dean?). JCA fumbles on the 1 in double OT. How about the terrible MS v MC title game? Wasnt there a bad call against MC (dean again?)

Every sport which has instituted instant replay has cut down my watching the sport at least 40%.

Can't stand instant replay. It slows down the game too much and destroys momentum.

It should be banned from baseball since the game is way too slow already and boring.

not sure this question has ever been asked in 20 years! Good one!

JCA vs WWS 92 I think (dean?). JCA fumbles on the 1 in double OT. How about the terrible MS v MC title game? Wasnt there a bad call against MC (dean again?)
JC-WWS 5A title was '92 and MC-Maine S 5A final was '95.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT