ADVERTISEMENT

What would you rather add/change for IHSA football?

What would you add or change?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

guerinfbfan

Sep 25, 2005
Pretty straight forward, you get to play supreme ruler of the IHSA and can enact one by-law with no consequences. What do you add

Great start from first two posters. I would add that the IHSA allow video reviews of players disqualified in a game when official errors are made. The referees are human and can make a mistake. The player disqualified loses out on the game being played and also the next game.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
Great start from first two posters. I would add that the IHSA allow video reviews of players disqualified in a game when official errors are made. The referees are human and can make a mistake. The player disqualified loses out on the game being played and also the next game.
That is allowed.

6 classes; NIU permanent home for championships; play 1A, 3A and 5A on Fridays - others on Sat; would love to see private schools in their own assn

Reactions: Panthers1211
I’m for the 6 classes. I think my stance on the split is clear - split if you wish but understand it’s all sports not just football.

The ejection thing is one officials have drilled down on far more of late - especially understanding the consequences.

I love the home field rule. You earned it in the regular season you should be rewarded.

Reactions: WBWarriorWatcher
Coaches Ranking playoff seeding
1-32 seeding

Would like to find a way to see who is the best team in the state settled on the field. Arizona does a super playoffs in which the top 8 teams don’t even go to the state playoffs but rather a “super playoff”.

I would argue for 7a champ vs 8a champ to play two weeks after thanksgiving weekend and make it a bowl game. If you’re not at least 7a you will need to play up in the playoffs.

think this will actually help w the private vs public issue. All the good private schools will be motivated to go at least 7a and will mitigate the issues 5A and 6A public’s have.

1. Separate public/private
2. 8 classes, (privates 4A to 8A only?) but because…
3. 8 game season and 4 wins is threshold.
4. Coaches seed.
5. Home field for better seed throughout.
6. Private champ vs. public champ at each class

and just because I’m the Czar:
7. All games streamed for free online. Sponsored perhaps?
8. Hot dog, popcorn and a bottle of water for $3 meal deal at every field!

Reactions: Grepos
4. Coaches seed.

See above!

So for those who want higher seed always play at home...

So your saying you are ok with having a state champ that never gets any road wins in the playoffs?

Do I got this right?

Some teams rarely make it to the playoffs and your saying if those schools get a first round win they still don't get a shot at playing at home for week 2? Give me a break.

Last edited:
I'm ok with everyone making playoffs. Always found it interesting that in HS athletics, that's one sport that a significant number of athletes do not get an equal shot at an opportunity to get a state title due to regular season results. Every single other sport in IL- regardless of what happens in regular season, you have the opportunity to go for state with playoffs.

In the age of equality and whatnot, always found it interesting that wasn't changed and found a way to make it work.

Not saying it should be that way, but when compared to all other athletes and their sports, it's not equal. Similar FBS football in college- from the opening day of fall camp, there are tons of teams that have zero shot at playing for a football national title simply based on their school and how FBS is. But every other NCAA sport...you have an opportunity to make post season and play for a title.

I'd be fine if football remained same for ihsa and they didn't allow all basketball or baseball to make post season. Have some consistency.

I would like the higher seeded teams to have the option of home or away in the first and second rounds. Thus, being able to manipulate home games later in the bracket

So your saying you are ok with having a state champ that never gets any road wins in the playoffs?

Do I got this right?

Some teams rarely make it to the playoffs and your saying if those schools get a first round win they still don't get a shot at playing at home for week 2? Give me a break.

I don't mind the higher seed always hosting. Just because you rarely make the playoffs doesn't mean you have earned a playoff home game. The occurrence that happens too often, is a solid 8-3 team hosting an 11-0 team in the 3rd round. 8-3 team has hosted 1 playoff game and 11-0 team has hosted two. 11-0 has earned that home game over the 8-3 team.
Hypothetical: 11-0 Sterling @ 8-3 Montini in round 3. Would Sterling find that justified?

I like the idea of how Texas operates. Play the game at a neutral location halfway.

Do I got this right?

I think the semis should be at a neutral site.
I don't agree with the high seed getting home field the entire way simply because all schedules aren't equal.

Do I got this right?

Yes. Need to find a way to make regular season meaninful. Would have no issue with neutral site semis as well.

I would like the higher seeded teams to have the option of home or away in the first and second rounds. Thus, being able to manipulate home games later in the bracket
I said that in the past too. I think that is the best idea. Being a 9-0 team against a horrible 5-4 team, it really doesn't matter if you are home or away. So maybe go on the road in hopes of getting a home quarter or semi game.

I think the semis should be at a neutral site.
I don't agree with the high seed getting home field the entire way simply because all schedules aren't equal.
I'd be ok with this, but home field semi games are more electric than a state final IMO. You are more likely to get everyone out to the semi game. State you run into thanksgiving plans, travel, watching on television, or whatever else keeps people away.

4. Coaches seed.

If I was the Czar? Beer Gardens at all games! And video scoreboards at all fields so you can catch a replay!

The best system for who plays home for the playoffs is the existing IHSA system. In fact its so creative its one of the best things the IHSA created.

As for having all teams make the playoffs is just foolish. This merely makes the 9 game season a pre-season and then the first 3 or 4 rounds will just be blowouts in the playoffs. So you really don't play a meaningful game until week 12 or 13. Yes this is a very smart idea when it's just hard in this era to get 3 games in with covid.

Reducing to 6 classes, I'm all for it.

I'm not for neutral sites until the finals. The quarters and semi's held at the schools are some of the most exiting games of the year.

I said that in the past too. I think that is the best idea. Being a 9-0 team against a horrible 5-4 team, it really doesn't matter if you are home or away. So maybe go on the road in hopes of getting a home quarter or semi game.
Unless you are a perennial 9-0 Lane Tech usually losing to that "horrible" 5-4 suburban school in 1st round

The best system for who plays home for the playoffs is the existing IHSA system. In fact its so creative its one of the best things the IHSA created.

As for having all teams make the playoffs is just foolish. This merely makes the 9 game season a pre-season and then the first 3 or 4 rounds will just be blowouts in the playoffs. So you really don't play a meaningful game until week 12 or 13. Yes this is a very smart idea when it's just hard in this era to get 3 games in with covid.

Reducing to 6 classes, I'm all for it.

I'm not for neutral sites until the finals. The quarters and semi's held at the schools are some of the most exiting games of the year.
I actually agree with him - on all his points. I am against neutral sites. I've enjoyed visiting McHenry, Woodstock, Lake Zurich and many other schools. Cary Grove would have been nice, too, if it wasn't for the storm troopers. I might go back to Woodstock to see some other school play 'em just for the pork chop sandwich.

Like many, I would like to see penalties by the offense behind the line of scrimmage ( such as holding ) enforced from the previous spot, or line of scrimmage, instead of where the foul occurred. Some holding penalties 5-7 yards deep near the pocket result in 15 yards or more effectively walked off.
But, according to a presentation last night by a member of the NFHS Rules Committee, that idea doesn't even make it out of committee discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT