ADVERTISEMENT

What we learned week 2!?!?!?

LakeCtyNewt

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
First and foremost, I’m very appreciative of the activity this thread gets every week. Thanks for everyone’s comments and thoughts.

1 - That swag got the flag.
2 - That Naperville Ctrl May be the best in class in 8A
3 - That the amount of great non-conference matchups this past week reminded me again why I missed HS football so much.
4 - That Rochester will be just fine
5 - That someone did something with Naz
6 - That Carmel Catholic is sneaky good
7 - That the MSL West is a mess
8 - That Reeters likes some Kentucky living
9 - That Geneseo football now recognizes the forward pass.
10 - That the run of Phillips in the CPS likely has ended.

On to week 3!

Fenwick is good!!
March Fenwick! March down the field!
March Fenwick! March men of steel!

Reactions: RockSoup
Great to see CoM with a quality win. Anyone from Mundelein with a story on them? Is this real?
Agreed. This was one of the most surprising results of the weekend, IMO. Is Jason McKie already turning things around in Mundelein?

Reactions: Gene K.
GTFO. They seriously did that?
Go to the 4:30 mark.

It’s not that big of a deal. They are kids, but why would you want to poke the bear?

I think James Kyle took exception with it. You can see him walking over to midfield yelling something. Then, #2on Rochester starts barking at Kyle. James Kyle is 6’5 240. I think #2 was about to bite off a little more than he can chew. An overarching theme for the afternoon?

Perhaps a Rochester fan can add some insight.

Last edited:
Reactions: lookoutforliam
The Kings of the CPS Simeon and Phillips lost their first two games by a combined score of 163-12. Yes they played quality opponents their first two games, but they both got destroyed each game which wasn’t the case with these two teams just a couple years ago.

Troy McCallister leaving Phillips will turn the Cinderella story of a team the past years back into a pumpkin within two years, if not already. I saw Phillips play MC in the 2019 playoffs, they were a disciplined and well conditioned team under McCallister, the team I saw Friday was the polar opposite, numerous personal fouls, late hits, huffing and puffing, hands on the hips early in the game....they had talent...Turner the QB can throw the ball a country mile, the RB was quick, they had a tall fast WR, and their line was massive, they just were severely unprepared, they seemed lost and unmotivated the entire game. The Sophomore game was to kickoff at 5:00, they didn’t even take the field until 4:50 because they got there at 30 min before kickoff. Wouldn’t have happened under McCallisters reign. Hope they right the ship because I don’t want to see another top program fold, but I don’t see it happening.

LWW is on track to miss playoffs for first time in a long time, after dropping to 0-2. Rest of schedule is very tough. Talent just doesn't appear to be there on either side of the ball. Great coaching staff will make sure they are competitive, but the Warriors are in for quite a fight this season to get 5 wins. Have to figure out QB and line play.

It’s not that big of a deal. They are kids, but why would you want to poke the bear?

I think James Kyle took exception with it. You can see him walking over to midfield yelling something. Then, #2on Rochester starts barking at Kyle. James Kyle is 6’5 240. I think #2 was about to bite off a little more than he can chew. An overarching theme for the afternoon?

Is Kyle expected back this season?

Phillips played Batavia & Mt Carmel, they now know what they have and need to work on. They have a big O-Line, a capable QB, & athletes. I wouldn't say CPS regin is over just yet. I will agree MP/Simeon/Kenwood are near the top w/ two of them not playing the same caliber of opponents in first 2 weeks. Even if they all fizzle out in state playoffs the prep bowl games would be intriguing

I'm with you my brother Bowie. It's not a big deal. Over zealous and excited kids trying to assert psychological dominance. Good teams don't need this type of motivation. Onto league play!

Reactions: Bowie50

I agree, don‘t poke the bear. In hindsight, Loyola needed no extra motivation. I will say it is fairly common to see teams in our area run out with both the US flag and their school flag and there can be some barking and posturing between the two teams when this happens. When Rochester played Chatham in the spring, one of the Chatham lineman was really barking at the Rochester side when they came on the field. The game went about as well for Chatham as it did for Rochester yesterday.

Last edited:
I agree, don‘t poke the bear. In hindsight, Loyola needed no extra motivation. I will say it is fairly common to see teams in our area run out with both the US flag and their school flag and there can be some barking and posturing between the two teams when this happens. When Rochester played Chatham in the spring, one of the Chatham lineman was really barking at the Rochester side when they came on the field. The game went about as well for Chatham as it did for Rochester yesterday.
and southeast came out with a sledge hammer and surrounded our cross in the middle of the field and pretended to beat on our cross. wth?

and southeast came out with a sledge hammer and surrounded our cross in the middle of the field and pretended to beat on our cross. wth?
I saw a similar thing in my youth during the stations of the cross

Serious question… other than Morgan park, has a CPS team won a game this year against a non CPS opponent?

The Kings of the CPS Simeon and Phillips lost their first two games by a combined score of 163-12. Yes they played quality opponents their first two games, but they both got destroyed each game which wasn’t the case with these two teams just a couple years ago.

Troy McCallister leaving Phillips will turn the Cinderella story of a team the past years back into a pumpkin within two years, if not already. I saw Phillips play MC in the 2019 playoffs, they were a disciplined and well conditioned team under McCallister, the team I saw Friday was the polar opposite, numerous personal fouls, late hits, huffing and puffing, hands on the hips early in the game....they had talent...Turner the QB can throw the ball a country mile, the RB was quick, they had a tall fast WR, and their line was massive, they just were severely unprepared, they seemed lost and unmotivated the entire game. The Sophomore game was to kickoff at 5:00, they didn’t even take the field until 4:50 because they got there at 30 min before kickoff. Wouldn’t have happened under McCallisters reign. Hope they right the ship because I don’t want to see another top program fold, but I don’t see

Phillips played Batavia & Mt Carmel, they now know what they have and need to work on. They have a big O-Line, a capable QB, & athletes. I wouldn't say CPS regin is over just yet. I will agree MP/Simeon/Kenwood are near the top w/ two of them not playing the same caliber of opponents in first 2 weeks. Even if they all fizzle out in state playoffs the prep bowl games would be intriguing
The late soph bus I believe was due to the company. Which makes sense, given the issues going on.
But I was shocked how dead they were from play 1. Against Batavia they seemed to be more enthusiastic, even towards the end.

Troy McCallister leaving Phillips will turn the Cinderella story of a team the past years back into a pumpkin within two years, if not already. I saw Phillips play MC in the 2019 playoffs, they were a disciplined and well conditioned team under McCallister, the team I saw Friday was the polar opposite, numerous personal fouls, late hits, huffing and puffing, hands on the hips early in the game....they had talent...Turner the QB can throw the ball a country mile, the RB was quick, they had a tall fast WR, and their line was massive, they just were severely unprepared, they seemed lost and unmotivated the entire game. The Sophomore game was to kickoff at 5:00, they didn’t even take the field until 4:50 because they got there at 30 min before kickoff. Wouldn’t have happened under McCallisters reign. Hope they right the ship because I don’t want to see another top program fold, but I don’t see it happening.
What was the score?

So the answer to a question I posed in another related thread has been answered:
There actually is something unusual in the water around Springfield.
I guess the IHSA will not be awarding any of their Sportsmanship Awards in that neck of the woods anytime soon.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
That a school will call me out on Twitter for my prediction of the Carmel Lake Forest game.....even though I never made a prediction on this game...yet I still get the hate

First and foremost, I’m very appreciative of the activity this thread gets every week. Thanks for everyone’s comments and thoughts.

1 - That swag got the flag.
2 - That Naperville Ctrl May be the best in class in 8A
3 - That the amount of great non-conference matchups this past week reminded me again why I missed HS football so much.
4 - That Rochester will be just fine
5 - That someone did something with Naz
6 - That Carmel Catholic is sneaky good
7 - That the MSL West is a mess
8 - That Reeters likes some Kentucky living
9 - That Geneseo football now recognizes the forward pass.
10 - That the run of Phillips in the CPS likely has ended.

On to week 3!
Kyle was not having any of that. Kudos to Rochester for making the trip North, but the flag planting didn’t quite pan out in their favor.

Neuqua and Naperville Central play pretty good D. Not Warren-esque good but they held WWS and LWE to 24 points this past weekend. September 24 in South Naperville should be a sledgehammer game.

Reactions: corey90
I don't care if you're the littlest or biggest guy on the block, you don't go to someone else's field and disrespect it. Surprised a head coach would sign off on this.

Neuqua and Naperville Central play pretty good D. Not Warren-esque good but they held WWS and LWE to 24 points this past weekend. September 24 in South Naperville should be a sledgehammer game.
Hey Buck, Watched SDSU Friday night and didn’t see Gronowski. Is he still out from the injury in the spring? Hope he gets back soon, they’re good and fun to watch.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT