ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn week 6!?!?!

Wow, let's pump the breaks on Neuqua. You have another good team this year as you should. Enrollment 3,522 with excellent demographics (800 more than NN and NC) and yet the school has been an early exit in the playoffs every year except for the 20012-1013 seasons. Talk about underachieving! And your offense is not putting up big numbers. Very good defense and good team. Not elite. Schedule NOT extremely tough. Let's take a closer look...

Oswego... not one of Oswego's better teams. Up until this week they hadn't beat a team with a winning record. They slipped by Plainfield North by a TD this past Friday.

Wheaton South... another big name school but will most likely not even make the playoffs this year despite joining a weaker conference.

Naperville Central... the Redhawks (3-3) are not as strong as we first believed. And Naper North rolled up 500 yards and 37 points on Central, something Neuqua didn't come close to doing.

St. Louis St. Marys... class 3a school in Missouri (out of six classes) with an enrollment of 275 students. Neuqua has 3, 522. Congrats on that big win!

Metea Valley... a shutout over the conference's weakest program.

This could be the year Neuqua wins a few playoff games perhaps because some of the traditional powers are somewhat down. Looking forward to a playoff matchup against a Loyola or Brother Rice. You are not elite until you start winning in the postseason.

Has Neuqua found a week 9 game yet? Could be critical for getting them a top playoff seed.

Has Neuqua found a week 9 game yet? Could be critical for getting them a top playoff seed.
I thought that was reserved the for DVC championship game.

From my time on this board I think NV gets talked about more than any other of the DVC schools. Not as much as some of the other public schools that have actually won something. If they start winning that will change but I can tell you that all daddys talk is likely going to lead to an avalanche when/if they lose.

Also adding, I’m not talking about an elite PROGRAM, I’m talking about an elite TEAM that has yet to lose a high school football game. I’ve coached many of these kids since 5th grade and some since 1st grade and I have always thought of them as elite-NOT because I’m “pops” I’m literally talking about ALL the kids. Bottom line is THIS: NV is not getting the respect they deserve and regardless of “history” this team IS elite. Whatever that means…. I should have called them “supersonic” and maybe no one would have responded-but I HAVE already established that I am “relevant” so I get it.. thanks again for the compliments.
NV 14-0 STATE CHAMPS
Print it…🤪🤪🤪🤪

I'd definitely put them in my top 5 Pops, but there are a few teams in 8A who might be interested in finding out on the field.

So has MS. The reason why WWS and MS have had that level of support is because they have been extraordinarily successful. Sure, the board is dominated by Catholic school fans. But that's not why NV gets less attention here now. They get less attention because they haven't walked the walk yet.

You yourself pointed out in your post why they aren't getting as much attention as ska549 might want this season because of their schedule and unconvincing victories this year. Signature win over the #11 team in Missouri. Second signature win over who, a 3-3 NC by three points? One week after NC narrowly escaped with a three point win over WV? 'Nuf said.
As I also pointed I played at WWS (Wheaton Central still cuz I’m an old man now lol) and I appreciate the love of the PROGRAM but I also pointed out that each high school TEAM is completely independent of previous teams. This isn’t college or pro where you can assemble dynasties and have them play together for years and years and ALWAYS be good. (Exception being catholic schools) which is why they deserve the “talk” that they get but PUBLIC SCHOOLS do not have that luxury (except NC lol😂😂)… you get what you get and that’s it. Much more difficult a tsmask to build a “dynasty” or elite “program” regardless of enrollment because that too is irrelevant. (Trust me there are TONS of students at NV that are not football player types and I’ll leave it at that but you all can probably figure it out). Anyway, I understand WHY NV doesn’t get the LOVE of the better programs but every now and then the stars align and there are diamonds in the rough. Biased or not I’m sticking to my OBJECTIVE guns that this is an elite team that will be tough to beat. Again no one has yet. AND the competition we played through first five games ACTUALLY consists of 5 playoff teams-and again rankings at time of game DO matter. Just ask Notre Dame. Anyway as I stated and a few agreed/confirmed this is just for fun the boys will sort it out where it belongs to be sorted out-on the field. Not a bunch of old dudes chirping about this and that(myself DEFINITELY included haha). It’s fun though and I appreciate the invite from everyone AND now I’m satisfied that MORE people are talking about NV LOL😂😂😂😂

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
I thought that was reserved the for DVC championship game.

From my time on this board I think NV gets talked about more than any other of the DVC schools. Not as much as some of the other public schools that have actually won something. If they start winning that will change but I can tell you that all daddys talk is likely going to lead to an avalanche when/if they lose.
Haha yes I realize I am going to get PELTED when/if they lose… but hell, it will be fun for all of you to “internet shame” me…

Haha yes I realize I am going to get PELTED when/if they lose… but hell, it will be fun for all of you to “internet shame” me…

No shaming unless they go out in round 1 or 2.

I'd love to see the explosion if NV met Warren for the title. @micahjones and the Six Flags crowd would go bananas. 🎢 Six Flaggggggggggggggggs!

Week 9 will see DVC #1 vs DVC #2, 3v4, etc.

As of right now it would be Neuqua vs NaperNorth again.

Reactions: Gene K.
I would say very little of it. Outside of the champion per class, most will claim their team was the second best regardless of making it to the championship game. This is why High school football fun.

Exactly, the class Champs will be determined. If I were in charge we would know more lol

As I also pointed I played at WWS (Wheaton Central still cuz I’m an old man now lol) and I appreciate the love of the PROGRAM but I also pointed out that each high school TEAM is completely independent of previous teams. This isn’t college or pro where you can assemble dynasties and have them play together for years and years and ALWAYS be good. (Exception being catholic schools) which is why they deserve the “talk” that they get but PUBLIC SCHOOLS do not have that luxury (except NC lol😂😂)… you get what you get and that’s it. Much more difficult a tsmask to build a “dynasty” or elite “program” regardless of enrollment because that too is irrelevant. (Trust me there are TONS of students at NV that are not football player types and I’ll leave it at that but you all can probably figure it out). Anyway, I understand WHY NV doesn’t get the LOVE of the better programs but every now and then the stars align and there are diamonds in the rough. Biased or not I’m sticking to my OBJECTIVE guns that this is an elite team that will be tough to beat. Again no one has yet. AND the competition we played through first five games ACTUALLY consists of 5 playoff teams-and again rankings at time of game DO matter. Just ask Notre Dame. Anyway as I stated and a few agreed/confirmed this is just for fun the boys will sort it out where it belongs to be sorted out-on the field. Not a bunch of old dudes chirping about this and that(myself DEFINITELY included haha). It’s fun though and I appreciate the invite from everyone AND now I’m satisfied that MORE people are talking about NV LOL😂😂😂😂
Yes, each team is independent of previous teams, but the team is not independent of the program. How often do you see a breakthrough team come out of an historically average to below average program (private or public) and be extraordinarily successful? Not sure what your answer to that question is, but mine is RARELY.

I disagree with you regarding dynasties. Maine South, Rochester, ESL, LWE, LA, MC, etc. are dynasties. Note how I chose to put more public than private schools in that list? :)

Is NV an elite team that will be tough to beat? Time will tell, I suppose. Certainly their next two games will be tough for those specific opponents to beat them. Week nine is TBD still. Would you play a week nine game if you were NV and 8-0 and guaranteed a playoff spot?

BTW, if NV failed to score in second OT after NC went up on them by three points, your tough to beat elite team assertion would seem more like hyperbole than well grounded opinion, don't you agree?

Last edited:
Reactions: ska549
Yes, each team is independent of previous teams, but the team is not independent of the program. How often do you see a breakthrough team come out of an historically average to below average program (private or public) and be extraordinarily successful? Not sure what your answer to that question is, but mine is RARELY.

I disagree with you regarding dynasties. Maine South, Rochester, ESL, LWE, LA, MC, etc.. are dynasties. Note how I chose to put more public than private schools in that list? :)

Is NV an elite team that will be tough to beat? Time will tell, I suppose. Certainly their next two games will be tough for those specific opponents to beat them. Week nine is TBD still. Would you play a week nine game if you were NV and 8-0 and guaranteed a playoff spot?

BTW, if NV failed to score in second OT after NC went up on them by three points, your tough to beat elite team assertion would seem more like hyperbole than well grounded opinion, don't you agree?
Week 9 is the DVC championship game (most likely)

I disagree with you regarding dynasties. Maine South, Rochester, ESL, LWE, LA, MC, etc. are dynasties. Note how I chose to put more public than private schools in that list? :)

It seems everyone is “hung up” on me calling them “an elite team…”. Like I said In an earlier post I should have called them “supersonic” but then no one would be talking about them (haha-which wouldn’t have let me achieve my goal!!😉🤪)
I understand TOTALLY the “program thing,” but MY team at WWS (againWC when I was there because I’m ok’d and out of shape now) was the FIRST team to make it to state finals. We lost to one of those DAMN Catholic schools and I won’t mention their name out of disdain but you can look it up or u already know (class 6A championship in 1990)… that aside, the “dynasty” that IS WWS and the strength of program etc HAS to start somewhere and it’s ALWAYS with a team “out of nowhere” like ours was… we didn’t get any respect either but we DID START the trend for MANY years to follow-my point is maybe THIS team for NV STARTS a program enhancing situation by being the FIRST and in my OPINION they are good enough, like actually SUPERSONIC good enough (LOL) to be that team!!!! I hope I’m right because it would be FUN AS HELL and I’ll be tailgating in the parking lot before every game!!! (With or without any “party favors😉)

Week 9 will see DVC #1 vs DVC #2, 3v4, etc.

As of right now it would be Neuqua vs NaperNorth again.
OMG what a stupid idea. After playing all the other teams in your conference, you go undefeated, you are the DVC champion. And deserve to be. Let's schedule someone else, it's more fun. DVC teams could knock each other out of the playoffs with this formula. Dumb.

6A championship in 1990
It was 5A, and you lost to that damn Frank Lenti, who, like Wheaton Central, was on a roll of his own, beating WC again in 1991. WWS took the 5A title in '92 and the 6A title in '95, '96, and '98. They also won again in '06 and '09, a very decent run. All those games are on YouTube and a lot of fun to watch.

Last edited:
OMG what a stupid idea. After playing all the other teams in your conference, you go undefeated, you are the DVC champion. And deserve to be. Let's schedule someone else, it's more fun. DVC teams could knock each other out of the playoffs with this formula. Dumb.
Bingo.

Reactions: ska549 and NNFAN
the strength of program etc HAS to start somewhere and it’s ALWAYS with a team “out of nowhere” like ours was… we didn’t get any respect either but we DID START the trend for MANY years to follow

I agree that it starts somewhere, but I disagree that it's always with a team out of nowhere. What happens more often than not is that a new coach comes in and turns the PROGRAM around which often takes place over a period of years.

At WC, Thorne came in in 1980 and didn't qualify for the playoffs until 1988. Once that happened, it took three years until WC made it to the championship game...which they lost two years in a row until winning it all in their third year playing for the title...against a "damn Catholic school," I might add.

So, define "breakthrough." Which WC team was the "breakthrough" team that came out of nowhere? The 1988 team that made the playoffs the first time ever for WC? The 1989 team that made it to the semis the following year? The 1990 team that made the title game for the first time? The one that won the first title for WC and its successor WWS?

What I am saying, again, is that you rarely see a breakthrough team come out of nowhere from an average program and become supersonic or elite or whatever adjective you want to use. More often than not, the breakthrough team is the product of a program getting better over time and consistently doing things the right way.

Last edited:
I agree that it starts somewhere, but I disagree that it's always with a team out of nowhere. What happens more often than not is that a new coach comes in and turns the PROGRAM around which often takes place over a period of years.

At WC, Thorne came in in 1980 and didn't qualify for the playoffs until 1988. Once that happened, it took three years until WC made it to the championship game...which they lost two years in a row until winning it all in their third year playing for the title...against a "damn Catholic school," I might add.

So, define "breakthrough." Which WC team was the "breakthrough" team that came out of nowhere? The 1988 team that made the playoffs the first time ever for WC? The 1992 team that made it to the semis the following year? The 1990 team that made the title game for the first time? The one that won the first title for WC and its successor WWS?

What I am saying, again, is that you rarely see a breakthrough team come out of nowhere from an average program and become supersonic or elite or whatever adjective you want to use. More often than not, the breakthrough team is the product of a program getting better over time and consistently doing things the right way.
Bartlett Freshmen as the exception.

Reactions: crusader_of_90

So, define "breakthrough." Which WC team was the "breakthrough" team that came out of nowhere? The 1988 team that made the playoffs the first time ever for WC? The 1992 team that made it to the semis the following year? The 1990 team that made the title game for the first time? The one that won the first title for WC and its successor WWS?

It was different back then in his first 8 years Thorne went (5-4) four times and (6-3) one time and none of those teams made the playoffs not mention the '86 or '87 team went 5-1 in games played with 3 forfeits due to an extended teachers strike. With the current playoff system they probably break thru a lot faster but I would say the game that changed the program trajectory was beating Joliet Catholic 28-0 in '88 they were the defending state champion and it was the first time they knocked off a powerhouse. The next year they would go on the beat Wheaton North for the first time in years and never look back.

NV has had a some big wins and good playoff runs in the past but they problem they have had is they haven't been able to do it in back to back years watching them this year this team has a different feel from the past mentally they seem tougher and they have more of a killer instinct then I've seen in the past from them, if you want to advance in the playoffs you need to step on a teams throat when the give you the chance and this team does that. I guess it will all play out in a few weeks but at minimum they are a Quarterfinal quality team but I see them making it to the Semi-finals then who knows?

It was different back then in his first 8 years Thorne went (5-4) four times and (6-3) one time and none of those teams made the playoffs not mention the '86 or '87 team went 5-1 in games played with 3 forfeits due to an extended teachers strike. With the current playoff system they probably break thru a lot faster but I would say the game that changed the program trajectory was beating Joliet Catholic 28-0 in '88 they were the defending state champion and it was the first time they knocked off a powerhouse. The next year they would go on the beat Wheaton North for the first time in years and never look back.

NV has had a some big wins and good playoff runs in the past but they problem they have had is they haven't been able to do it in back to back years watching them this year this team has a different feel from the past mentally they seem tougher and they have more of a killer instinct then I've seen in the past from them, if you want to advance in the playoffs you need to step on a teams throat when the give you the chance and this team does that. I guess it will all play out in a few weeks but at minimum they are a Quarterfinal quality team but I see them making it to the Semi-finals then who knows?
Great responses everyone and thanks for the “history” wow you guys are GOOD! That’s right we were 5A I forgot and geez man you all know your stuff! Actually that same year I can’t remember who but I THINK It was Nap North in the 6A final and it was cool cuz 2 DVC teams made the state finals-we both lost…😰 (damn catholic schools LOL).. I definitely AM interested/excited to see NV play outside conference teams and see how they look but against the 3 they already played this year I thought they looked good. Dynasty or not, SUPERSONIC or not, it WILL be a fun ride…. Thank you again for all your comments. And I’m STILL picking NV 14-0 and State Champs😉😉😉😉😊😊😊😊

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
Great responses everyone and thanks for the “history” wow you guys are GOOD! That’s right we were 5A I forgot and geez man you all know your stuff! Actually that same year I can’t remember who but I THINK It was Nap North in the 6A final and it was cool cuz 2 DVC teams made the state finals-we both lost…😰 (damn catholic schools LOL).. I definitely AM interested/excited to see NV play outside conference teams and see how they look but against the 3 they already played this year I thought they looked good. Dynasty or not, SUPERSONIC or not, it WILL be a fun ride…. Thank you again for all your comments. And I’m STILL picking NV 14-0 and State Champs😉😉😉😉😊😊😊😊
I remember going to watch us play NV in 2005 in the playoffs. the OL was MASSIVE and they had a combo of runningbacks one power one speed, I assume were from the far West side of Bolingbrook. It was a helluva game. Not ugly like the 2011 and 2012 versions.

NV has had some teams over the past years, there's just very few gimme games especially when you're part of the middle of that 8A bell curve.

Ah yes, October football. How I’ve missed thee.

2/3 done 1/3 to go then the fun starts.

1 - That there is a lot of good teams in our state but no great.
2 - That the Beast is actually human.
3 - That we saw a little defense in the CCL this weekend.
4 - That the best in the MSL West is Hoffman Estates, check back in two weeks.
5 - That something happened to Libertyville
6 - That we need to pay attention to York.
7 - That Jack Lausch is arguably the top QB in our state.
8 - That we officially have playoff qualifiers
9 - That B “Bomber” football is a rarity nowadays but still fun.
10 - That Richmond-Burton will have a lot to say about who wins 4A.

Great week of football. I’ll be in the Lex this week for UK-LSU. Cats by 90, Chants up!
BBN rise up!! Newt, I will be down there for the Tenn game first weekend in Nov

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT