ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn week 6!?!?!

LakeCtyNewt

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
Ah yes, October football. How I’ve missed thee.

2/3 done 1/3 to go then the fun starts.

1 - That there is a lot of good teams in our state but no great.
2 - That the Beast is actually human.
3 - That we saw a little defense in the CCL this weekend.
4 - That the best in the MSL West is Hoffman Estates, check back in two weeks.
5 - That something happened to Libertyville
6 - That we need to pay attention to York.
7 - That Jack Lausch is arguably the top QB in our state.
8 - That we officially have playoff qualifiers
9 - That B “Bomber” football is a rarity nowadays but still fun.
10 - That Richmond-Burton will have a lot to say about who wins 4A.

Great week of football. I’ll be in the Lex this week for UK-LSU. Cats by 90, Chants up!

Ah yes, October football. How I’ve missed thee.

2/3 done 1/3 to go then the fun starts.

1 - That there is a lot of good teams in our state but no great.
2 - That the Beast is actually human.
3 - That we saw a little defense in the CCL this weekend.
4 - That the best in the MSL West is Hoffman Estates, check back in two weeks.
5 - That something happened to Libertyville
6 - That we need to pay attention to York.
7 - That Jack Lausch is arguably the top QB in our state.
8 - That we officially have playoff qualifiers
9 - That B “Bomber” football is a rarity nowadays but still fun.
10 - That Richmond-Burton will have a lot to say about who wins 4A.

Great week of football. I’ll be in the Lex this week for UK-LSU. Cats by 90, Chants up!

That your #1 reveals your severe bend towards Northern Illinois only. But I get your bias; a little arrogant, but I still get it.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
That your #1 reveals your severe bend towards Northern Illinois only. But I get your bias; a little arrogant, but I still get it.
I have watched HS football in this state for 50 years and it has zero to do with Northern Illinois. Have seen great ESL teams, this isn’t on that level as of yet.

in 2017 and 2018 respectively EStL averaged 44 and 54 PPG respectively and were extremely highly regarded both years. In the 7A playoffs in 2017 and 2018 ESL was eliminated by MC scoring 18 and 19 points in those games. In both those years MC did not make it to the 7A final nor did they lose to the champion.

As someone who watched The Flyers more than I do (I typically watch a handful of Flyer games per season, almost all of them when they come up north), what makes this team great where the '17 and '18 teams were not?

in 2017 and 2018 respectively EStL averaged 44 and 54 PPG respectively and were extremely highly regarded both years. In the 7A playoffs in 2017 and 2018 ESL was eliminated by MC scoring 18 and 19 points in those games. In both those years MC did not make it to the 7A final nor did they lose to the champion.

As someone who watched The Flyers more than I do (I typically watch a handful of Flyer games per season, almost all of them when they come up north), what makes this team great where the '17 and '18 teams were not?

Great question, Bones. As someone who hasn’t missed an ESL game in decades, having both a well balanced offensive group and defensive group does the trick. In those years mentioned (17, 18) we had neither. The one exceptional player was Antonio Johnson as an underclassman in both years and Tyler Macon in 18 as a Sophomore. This year’s exceptional players: we have LB3, an offensive line averaging 300lbs or more with two 4-stars in Myles McVay and Paris Patterson. A quickly developing dual threat quarterback and several good running backs (including two freshman who will definitely be 4-stars by their Senior year)

On the defensive side, we have a 4-star cornerback in Toriano Pride (Clemson Commit) who hasn’t allowed a single catch (Bosco game included), at the other side a 3-star cornerback in Ahmad Robinson who has only allowed about 3 catches all year (Bosco game being 2 of them).

Put it this way, I watched the Mater Dei Bosco game the other night. Mater Dei only allowed 21 points in the first half, so did we. In the 2nd half against them, we forced two turnovers (3 if you count a blocked punt), one for a score. No one, including Mater Dei has done that to them all year. Is Mater Dei the best team in the country? Yes. Is Bosco up there with them? Yes. But we are not too far behind from what I’ve seen with my own eyes. Which does in fact qualify us as a GREAT team.

Last edited:

Beyond that Bones, you kinda failed to mention that we were rebuilding those years after an undefeated season and winning 7A the year before.

Every year is different, and I know that there is a tendency to try and lump all ESL teams together because you guys mainly only get to see us during playoffs. If you had asked me, I wasn’t nearly as thrilled about 17 and 18 as I was about 16 (Jeff Thomas), 19, and now. As football fans, you guys really need to make it a mission to see Luther Burden III.

Last edited:

I don’t subscribe to the best team in the State talk only because it can never be proven so it’s really strong opinions. To specifically answer your question:

In 17, on the last game of the regular season, the starting QB tore his ACL and MCL. This was a huge blow to the offense that average the points listed in your quote.
In 18, in the Second round game right before halftime, the leader in receptions for the team was fighting for extra yards (not sure why as the game was very lopsided already) he developed a high ankle sprain which made him unavailable for MC. This was also a huge blow for the offense that averaged the points listed in your post.

In both games all credit is given to MC defense which was well deserved. Depth matters so there are no excuses. The above just answers your question as to what happened. I will also add neither 17’ or 18’ had a strong explosive play maker.
08’ was Hawthorne
16’ was Thomas
19’ was Lovett

I have watched HS football in this state for 50 years and it has zero to do with Northern Illinois. Have seen great ESL teams, this isn’t on that level as of yet.

That’s fair, but you obviously have not seen this team……..

Great question, Bones. As someone who hasn’t missed an ESL game in decades, having both a well balanced offensive group and defensive group does the trick. In those years mentioned (17, 18) we had neither. The one exceptional player was Antonio Johnson as an underclassman in both years and Tyler Macon in 18 as a Sophomore. This year’s exceptional players: we have LB3, an offensive line averaging 300lbs or more with two 4-stars in Myles McVay and Paris Patterson. A quickly developing dual threat quarterback and several good running backs (including two freshman who will definitely be 4-stars by their Senior year)

On the defensive side, we have a 4-star cornerback in Toriano Pride (Clemson Commit) who hasn’t allowed a single catch (Bosco game included), at the other side a 3-star cornerback in Ahmad Robinson who has only allowed about 3 catches all year (Bosco game being 2 of them).

Put it this way, I watched the Mater Dei Bosco game the other night. Mater Dei only allowed 21 points in the first half, so did we. In the 2nd half against them, we forced two turnovers (3 if you count a blocked punt), one for a score. No one, including Mater Dei has done that to them all year. Is Mater Dei the best team in the country? Yes. Is Bosco up there with them? Yes. But we are not too far behind from what I’ve seen with my own eyes.
Obviously Mater Dei is a great team. I don't know who is the best in the country. I did notice some areas where Bosco seemed vulnerable when they played Amat, but none of that is the crux of the issue. Personally I don't fall into the counting player stars arguments, I think you probably understand why from my perspective. But in this response you mention Macon was a soph, but the QB on this year's squad is a soph. Also, you mention Antonio being an underclassmen (I saw one TAM game this year and he was killing it) as why those teams werent great, but mention for this year some freshmen as why this team is great. In '17 & '18 were people saying these teams arent great or were they trying to convince us that they were great?

I do like stats like the DB's hardly allowing any completions. That stuff gets me. But Bosco scored in the 40's as did CBC, so someone somewhere is allowing yards and points. Also, results against other top teams impress me. Unfortunately I dont even consider Bosco, MD, IMG and those football academies as real schools since they do what private schools in IL do, but put it on some Incredible Hulk type steroids. Also, I don't know enough about CBC and De Smet to compare them to IL teams outside of the beatings they put on OFallon and Eddie. If OF and Eddie makes some runs in the playoffs it'll be a good indicator of where EStL resides in the state, otherwise I just don't know. Like the 2019 team, I just didnt know where to put them with that NV game. I would like to see your offense against Warren's D. Have Sunkett and McNulty get on the horn and negotiate Alton vs Mundelein so that Warren can travel down I55. I'll even make the Saturday trip to sweeten the pot.

That said, I dont even think one has to win state to be a great team, sometimes great teams get upset.
Beyond that Bones, you kinda failed to mention that we were rebuilding those years after an undefeated season and winning 7A the year before.
I dont know anything about rebuilding.

Reactions: TigerforFlyers
Obviously Mater Dei is a great team. I don't know who is the best in the country. I did notice some areas where Bosco seemed vulnerable when they played Amat, but none of that is the crux of the issue. Personally I don't fall into the counting player stars arguments, I think you probably understand why from my perspective. But in this response you mention Macon was a soph, but the QB on this year's squad is a soph. Also, you mention Antonio being an underclassmen (I saw one TAM game this year and he was killing it) as why those teams werent great, but mention for this year some freshmen as why this team is great. In '17 & '18 were people saying these teams arent great or were they trying to convince us that they were great?

I do like stats like the DB's hardly allowing any completions. That stuff gets me. But Bosco scored in the 40's as did CBC, so someone somewhere is allowing yards and points. Also, results against other top teams impress me. Unfortunately I dont even consider Bosco, MD, IMG and those football academies as real schools since they do what private schools in IL do, but put it on some Incredible Hulk type steroids. Also, I don't know enough about CBC and De Smet to compare them to IL teams outside of the beatings they put on OFallon and Eddie. If OF and Eddie makes some runs in the playoffs it'll be a good indicator of where EStL resides in the state, otherwise I just don't know. Like the 2019 team, I just didnt know where to put them with that NV game. I would like to see your offense against Warren's D. Have Sunkett and McNulty get on the horn and negotiate Alton vs Mundelein so that Warren can travel down I55. I'll even make the Saturday trip to sweeten the pot.

That said, I dont even think one has to win state to be a great team, sometimes great teams get upset.

Yeah, my response was mainly to Newt saying that there are no Great teams this year. I took exception to that statement.

Few things I will add after watching Bosco play Mater Dei. Boscos running back was fast and shifty. He made a lot players miss and was hard to bring down. These two teams deserve to be in the top 5 and let’s not forget that Bosco has the hardest schedule in the country. They are the real deal and Mater Dei is #1 until someone beats them. ESL is very good I am not sure where they deserve to be ranked. They have another game against IMG let’s see how they play in that game then we might have a better idea. I give ESL credit for scheduling two of the top 3 teams in the country. ESL is very talented and has some very highly rated players but as Bones mentioned that doesn’t always make them a great team or a championship team. We will most likely need to wait until the IMG game and the playoffs to see how this years ESL team stacks up against past ESL teams.

I don’t subscribe to the best team in the State talk only because it can never be proven so it’s really strong opinions. To specifically answer your question:

In 17, on the last game of the regular season, the starting QB tore his ACL and MCL. This was a huge blow to the offense that average the points listed in your quote.
In 18, in the Second round game right before halftime, the leader in receptions for the team was fighting for extra yards (not sure why as the game was very lopsided already) he developed a high ankle sprain which made him unavailable for MC. This was also a huge blow for the offense that averaged the points listed in your post.

In both games all credit is given to MC defense which was well deserved. Depth matters so there are no excuses. The above just answers your question as to what happened. I will also add neither 17’ or 18’ had a strong explosive play maker.
08’ was Hawthorne
16’ was Thomas
19’ was Lovett
Makes sense.

Warren Township with expected WIN using 3rd team (rest starters) & another shutout. Time to finish off NSC over the next 3 weeks then real season starts. Once again highly rated teams giving up chunks of yards & points. Hit the board next week. On to next opponent. Have a blessed day & stay safe everyone. Home of six flags 🎢💪🏾🏈🙏🏽

The state of Illinois is not on par with California, Florida and Texas when it comes to high school football. Therefore, to be a "great" Illinois team does not mean you need to beat teams ranked in the top five nationally. East St. Louis has two such teams on its schedule.

The Freeman computer ratings, which are the ratings used by CalPreps, have East St. Louis ranked 32nd in the nation. They are also highly ranked in the national rankings of the Massey computer ratings, which are widely recognized as an excellent rating system. East St. Louis beat the number one ranked team in the state of Missouri, and also beat Missouri's eighth ranked team by two touchdowns. In my view, at this point of the season, East St. Louis qualifies as a "great" Illinois high school football team. There are more games to be played and injuries can, of course, disrupt any great season.

IMG Academy has taken over the top ranking in the nation this week, with Mater Dei dropping to number two. St. John Bosco is now fourth. I do not much care about the outcome of the East St. Louis versus IMG game because, again, Illinois football is not on that level. Still, the Flyers deserve credit for testing themselves.

I am more interested in seeing how the Flyers do against the likes of Cary-Grove or St. Ignatius in the playoffs. Those are two excellent Illinois football teams. I am currently expecting the 6A championship game to be East St. Louis versus Cary-Grove, with the result being similar to the East St. Louis / Prairie Ridge result two years ago. If the Flyers win the championship with no team coming closer than ten points, hopefully everyone will concede they are a "great" Illinois high school football team.

Last edited:
The state of Illinois is not on par with California, Florida and Texas when it comes to high school football. Therefore, to be a "great" Illinois team does not mean you need to beat teams ranked in the top five nationally. East St. Louis has two such teams on its schedule.

The Freeman computer ratings, which are the ratings used by CalPreps, have East St. Louis ranked 32nd in the nation. They are also highly ranked in the national rankings of the Massey computer ratings, which are widely recognized as an excellent rating system. East St. Louis beat the number one ranked team in the state of Missouiri, and also beat Missouri's eighth ranked team by two touchdowns. In my view, at this point of the season, East St. Louis qualifies as a "great" Illinois high school football team. There are more games to be played and injuries can, of course, disrupt any great season.

IMG has taken over the top ranking in the nation this week, with Mater Dei dropping to number two. St. John Boscoe is now fourth. I do not much care about the outcome of the East St. Louis versus IMG game because, again, Illinois football is not on that level. Still, the Flyers deserve credit for testing themselves.

I am more interested in seeing how the Flyers do against the likes of Cary-Grove or St. Ignatius in the playoffs. Those are two excellent Illinois football teams. I am currently expecting the 6A championship game to be East St. Louis versus Cary-Grove, with the result being similar to the East St. Louis / Prairie Ridge result two years ago. If the Flyers win the championship with no team coming closer than ten points, hopefully everyone will concede they are a "great" Illinois high school football team.
Have we met LOL? I was just telling a buddy of mine the other day what I expect if CG gets there, in regards to a game like 2019. People in Cary are geeked thinking this is CG’s best team so far but have no idea what they’re in for with ESL if it happens. If… I’m not discounting Iggy at all.

The Freeman computer ratings, which are the ratings used by CalPreps, have East St. Louis ranked 32nd in the nation. They are also highly ranked in the national rankings of the Massey computer ratings, which are widely recognized as an excellent rating system. East St. Louis beat the number one ranked team in the state of Missouri, and also beat Missouri's eighth ranked team by two touchdowns. In my view, at this point of the season, East St. Louis qualifies as a "great" Illinois high school football team. There are more games to be played and injuries can, of course, disrupt any great season.

IMG Academy has taken over the top ranking in the nation this week, with Mater Dei dropping to number two. St. John Bosco is now fourth. I do not much care about the outcome of the East St. Louis versus IMG game because, again, Illinois football is not on that level. Still, the Flyers deserve credit for testing themselves.

Thank you, thank you, and thank you!!! Geesh!!

Glad to see Naz playing historic CCL Blue teams before meeting them in the playoffs.

Heat treated and well tested teams will remain consistent, while the young upstarts who play lesser schedules and look fabulous may crack under pressure...Wilmington may not look pretty, but Reed Custer's flashy high powered offense cracked after the Wildcats took the lead in the 4th...Nonetheless, the Comets will be much improved after this game.

Home of six flags. They have the all around athletes and depth to match up with ESL.

And Neuqua has played a fairly decent schedule. Oswego, WWS, St. Mary’s (MO), N and C. 6-0 and only 2 home games.
Still think no one really talks about Neuqua Valley enough. Blah blah blah I’m biased. I’ve seen PLENTY of high school football and I’m saying this team is elite. NOT talking about “that kid” but talking about THE TEAM. NO ONE has stopped our offense other than NC on a VERY crappy weather night. Our defense has been insane. 15 game winning streak dating to 2019 and the class of 2023 is 19-0 in HIGH SCHOOL!!! Not sure why that goes unnoticed.., and agreed the schedule has been extremely tough and still we are 6-0… so why the hate/doubt? I firmly stand that NV is best team in state and will go 14-0. Love, “pops”

Still think no one really talks about Neuqua Valley enough. Blah blah blah I’m biased. I’ve seen PLENTY of high school football and I’m saying this team is elite. NOT talking about “that kid” but talking about THE TEAM. NO ONE has stopped our offense other than NC on a VERY crappy weather night. Our defense has been insane. 15 game winning streak dating to 2019 and the class of 2023 is 19-0 in HIGH SCHOOL!!! Not sure why that goes unnoticed.., and agreed the schedule has been extremely tough and still we are 6-0… so why the hate/doubt? I firmly stand that NV is best team in state and will go 14-0. Love, “pops”

Lol
You might be right but I highly doubt it. No way I would call them elite. Good ok but not elite. I don’t see them going 14-0 but I get your enthusiasm. Good luck on your the rest of your season.

I have to share a Dad to dad memorable moment. 2007 my younger son played DE for LWE. They played Neuqua Valley in the playoffs. One particular play my son got the rare chance to play on offense. He lined up as a TE. He got behind your secondary and caught a pass and ran for about a 40 yard TD. Of course I was so happy he got the opportunity. I think East won the game like 42-14? Good luck ska549. I hope your right and you guys go all the way this year. They are off to a great start. It’s a special time for you and you son, enjoy this year.

This team is very good. Neuqua’s history doesn’t allow the Cats to be elite until they play the Saturday after Turkey Day. Until then, we will allow those who doubt their right to doubt. We know how good this team is and how it’s getting better each week. And we are very young.

Wow, let's pump the breaks on Neuqua. You have another good team this year as you should. Enrollment 3,522 with excellent demographics (800 more than NN and NC) and yet the school has been an early exit in the playoffs every year except for the 20012-1013 seasons. Talk about underachieving! And your offense is not putting up big numbers. Very good defense and good team. Not elite. Schedule NOT extremely tough. Let's take a closer look...

Oswego... not one of Oswego's better teams. Up until this week they hadn't beat a team with a winning record. They slipped by Plainfield North by a TD this past Friday.

Wheaton South... another big name school but will most likely not even make the playoffs this year despite joining a weaker conference.

Naperville Central... the Redhawks (3-3) are not as strong as we first believed. And Naper North rolled up 500 yards and 37 points on Central, something Neuqua didn't come close to doing.

St. Louis St. Marys... class 3a school in Missouri (out of six classes) with an enrollment of 275 students. Neuqua has 3, 522. Congrats on that big win!

Metea Valley... a shutout over the conference's weakest program.

This could be the year Neuqua wins a few playoff games perhaps because some of the traditional powers are somewhat down. Looking forward to a playoff matchup against a Loyola or Brother Rice. You are not elite until you start winning in the postseason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT