ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn week 6?!?!

LakeCtyNewt

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
It’s officially playoff season. Cooler weather, playoff points and Soucie.

1 - That for now LWE is the best team in Illinois.
2 - That there’s nothing wrong with GBW.
3 - That Barrington finally got by Palatine.
4 - That Reeters looks good in white helmets and vs MT Carmel
5 - That Maine West is playoff eligible for the first time in more than a decade.
6 - That starting a Freshman QB on varsity often times more miss than hit.
7 - That it looks like Boylan is another miss when it comes to playoffs.
8 - That Coach Vlk has done a remarkable job at Buffalo Grove
9 - That Nap Ctrl showed very well vs a national power in St Ed.
10 - That we officially have playoff qualifiers.

That’s where we at.

That ND will probably end up 8-1 and be a pretty tough out in 8A,...
I'll be watching whether ND and Marist are tough outs in 8A. Neither plays an 8A-caliber schedule during the regular season, since many of their ESCC opponents are so much smaller. Marist has had playoff success in recent years. ND has not.

I'll be watching whether ND and Marist are tough outs in 8A. Neither plays an 8A-caliber schedule during the regular season, since many of their ESCC opponents are so much smaller. Marist has had playoff success in recent years. ND has not.

I think Marist can run the table and have a better shot. ND needs a little help and no boneheaded coaching decisions at the wrong time.

Did #1 hurt you to say Newt? That is a backhanded qualifier if I ever heard one.

Did #1 hurt you to say Newt? That is a backhanded qualifier if I ever heard one.

I guess I don’t understand the point. If you’re somehow insinuating I have some how said they aren’t that good I’d be curious to see where I posted that.

My guess is you will struggle to find somewhere where it was posted. But hey if that works for you party on Saturday

We learned that LWC is the Rodney Dangerfield of the Edgy polls. I get that they have a weak schedule...no arguments there. Not much the players can do about that. These kids have come together over the last two years and done the best they could have given the circumstance. They have taken advantage of the influx of talent they received as a result of the North closing. I do think there are some gaps and not saying they should be in the top 5 or anything, but given the common opponents and relative scores, they are getting hosed. Here is what I am talking about.

Maine South loses by 2 points to East --> drop 1 or 2 in polls. Saw that game and agree. Keep in mind MS gave up 28 points. They did score 26 which is respectable against that D and deserved to still be ranked in top 3.
Crete Monee lost 27 to 7 vs East. Did not see.
LWC looses to East 28 to 14. Saw that game and LWC dominated for a half. (14-0 at half) Stopped east 3 times on 4th and short. They to give up 28 points the second half but score 14.
Homewood Flossmoor lost 29 to 7. Saw that game. East dominated for 4 quarters.

MS is ranked 3 only loss to East. Gave up 28 scored 26
Crete Monee is ranked 21 only loss to East. Gave up 27 scored 7
HF is ranked 9 only loss to East. Gave up 29 scored 7.
LWC is not ranked only loss to East. Gave up 28 scored 14. Led for a half.

I get the game is 4 quarters long. Even that being the case the LWC defense seems to be on par with the other ranked teams. Their offense scored more than most.

Not to mention, Bolingbrook is 26 after getting creamed by HF (48 to 20) who in turn got creamed but East. Also remember LWC killed Bolingbrook 42 to 28 in 2016.

I won't even get into what I believe is a gross over estimation of some of the Catholic league teams. I say LWC beats Providence (#23) and St. Rita (#25) 9 times out of 10. I haven't seen enough of Loyola (#7) to make a call there but I do believe LWC give Marist (#4) all they can handle.

LWC has Waubonsie Valley this week and that is going to be a good game. Even at 3-3 Waubonsie looks solid. I have crazy respect for the DVC. If LWC looses, I can see them dropping out (of course they have to be in to drop out) but to not include them at this point is just showing no respect. Even if they win here, still not going to get any respect because WV is only 3 and 3.

I understand that in high school football, polls are only something to argue over and have no impact on playoffs. Just seems to be another slap in the face to the kids that had to deal with the shaking up of their team because of the mismanagement of the district. It does not mean anything, but would have been nice for them to see their efforts be rewarded.

I agree. LWC should be ranked in the top 20. I think they will get Some love if they handle WV.

I will do a similiar walk thru - WV lost by 2 points in the first game with two turnovers in the 4th quarter to LP. LP after that game was missing some of their players (and still are - attrition that happens in the DVC with every game being a physical battle) but they are still solid at 3-3. WV doesn't get off the bus and show up for the NV game with 5 turnovers - that one causes the no respect to creep in. WV up by 9 in the 4th quarter against NC but cant get a pass rush and Thorne and Reed put the team on their backs with two TDs in the final quarter to win at the end. NC then gives St Eds all they can handle this week.

The main issue is that wacky conference of 13. There are some awesome teams and some really really bad teams. If the scheduleing Gods pass over most of the awesome teams it's tough to gauge who is good and who is not. A one game sample doesn't do anything (see Glenbard West game 1 for example or WV game vs NV). I think the conference needs to be broken into divisions and you need to add the Naperville's and Valleys for two divisions of 9 teams each. ;)

Reactions: polkhighhero
We learned that LWC is the Rodney Dangerfield of the Edgy polls. I get that they have a weak schedule...no arguments there. Not much the players can do about that. These kids have come together over the last two years and done the best they could have given the circumstance. They have taken advantage of the influx of talent they received as a result of the North closing. I do think there are some gaps and not saying they should be in the top 5 or anything, but given the common opponents and relative scores, they are getting hosed. Here is what I am talking about.

Maine South loses by 2 points to East --> drop 1 or 2 in polls. Saw that game and agree. Keep in mind MS gave up 28 points. They did score 26 which is respectable against that D and deserved to still be ranked in top 3.
LWC looses to East 28 to 14. Saw that game and LWC dominated for a half. (14-0 at half) Stopped east 3 times on 4th and short. They to give up 28 points the second half but score 14.

I get the game is 4 quarters long. Even that being the case the LWC defense seems to be on par with the other ranked teams. Their offense scored more than most.

Not to mention, Bolingbrook is 26 after getting creamed by HF (48 to 20) who in turn got creamed but East. Also remember LWC killed Bolingbrook 42 to 28 in 2016.

I won't even get into what I believe is a gross over estimation of some of the Catholic league teams. I say LWC beats Providence (#23) and St. Rita (#25) 9 times out of 10. I haven't seen enough of Loyola (#7) to make a call there but I do believe LWC give Marist (#4) all they can handle.

LWC has Waubonsie Valley this week and that is going to be a good game. Even at 3-3 Waubonsie looks solid. I have crazy respect for the DVC. If LWC looses, I can see them dropping out (of course they have to be in to drop out) but to not include them at this point is just showing no respect. Even if they win here, still not going to get any respect because WV is only 3 and 3.

I understand that in high school football, polls are only something to argue over and have no impact on playoffs. Just seems to be another slap in the face to the kids that had to deal with the shaking up of their team because of the mismanagement of the district. It does not mean anything, but would have been nice for them to see their efforts be rewarded.

You have some very good points and I agree with many of them, but LWC beating PC/Rita 9 out of 10? No way, Jose.

Reactions: TPF523 and RockSoup

Big fan of Coach Cordell down there. Cordell is a Chad Hetlet coaching spawn and many GW fans are excited to see LWC stepping up. Big test this week. Stopping WV will be key to making a case.

BTW- it is always tough to garner respect in the polls without one of three things; a history of recent post-season success, a signature win against a highly ranked opponent, or a preseason hype around a package of stud returning starters. Moral victories sometimes work but playoffs are coming and most everyone expects LWC to do some damage.

Let's be clear, LWC barely won last year against the worst BHS team in 30 years. It took countless trick plays and 4th down conversions to put that game away. That said, congrats. LWC usually doesnt even see the endzone against The Beloved. And I wish you were on the schedule this year. The SWSC felt they should protect you guys this season, and I get it.

Now that that is out of the way I agree with much of the rest of your post. Different benefits of the doubt are given to different schools. It's the nature of the beast. I like to look at at least 3 games to get an idea of where teams are at and there are some severely over rated teams in ALL the local polls. And likely some underrated ones too with LWC being one of them.

It's a fair point yet you also answered why they haven't cracked the Top 30 yet in the first few sentences...and FYI the schedule issue isn't my fault/problem either. I also completely disagree on several levels. I can go point for point with you but that would really go nowhere.

No respect? Please refer to the various times I've had head LWC head coach Jeremy Cordell on my radio show in particular over the past months or so....I have raved about the job that's being done at Central and the positive direction the football program has headed including this season. I also have discussed at length the positives of the 2017 team (Scouting Report etc) here as well.

Before reading this I also named Matt Pollack the WJOL/State Farm Agent Kevin Mollloy Player of the Week from Week 6 action....so again more disrespect from Central from me.

I have no issue being taken to the woodshed when needed and heck at times I'll agree with them....but to paint such broad accusations without being fair is also wrong on several levels.

Facts man...hate when they get in the way....

Reactions: Quags57
We learned that the recent down slide of JCA isn't good for Illinois football as a whole...honestly expected Friday night to be somewhat competitive, it wasn't? ... the board has debated too many times on the reasons so no need to go there. As a parent of a school in the conference JCA returning to 2015 form is something we all hope to see...

Reactions: Gene K.
You have some very good points and I agree with many of them, but LWC beating PC/Rita 9 out of 10? No way, Jose.

OK, I will grant you I may have over stepped with St. Rita. I haven't seen enough of them. I lumped them in with Providence based on them being ranked lower and the few high lines I have seen on Friday Night Lites and High School Cube. I have been around the New Lenox area for quite a while. I have seen some of the kids at the various programs play ball since they were 8 years old. I will modify and say "beat Providence 9 times out of 10 and only 9 times because "Any Given Friday Night..."

OK, I will grant you I may have over stepped with St. Rita. I haven't seen enough of them. I lumped them in with Providence based on them being ranked lower and the few high lines I have seen on Friday Night Lites and High School Cube. I have been around the New Lenox area for quite a while. I have seen some of the kids at the various programs play ball since they were 8 years old. I will modify and say "beat Providence 9 times out of 10 and only 9 times because "Any Given Friday Night..."

The Celtics beat Rita, so Central should beat Rita 10 out of 10 times. I wouldn't be surprised if these teams meet in the 7A playoffs. Then we'll see for sure.

Also, I know games are 4 quarters, but let's say Central played East two more quarters when they met. Why do I get the feeling the scored would've been 56 - 21ish? Would you agree?

Last edited:
I have no issue being taken to the woodshed when needed and heck at times I'll agree with them....but to paint such broad accusations without being fair is also wrong on several levels.

Facts man...hate when they get in the way....

Edgy, apologies. Did not mean to offend, and see that I may have done that. I love what you do for high school football and could not do what you do week in and week out. Rankings are tricky for sure and appreciate the effort you put forth in doing it. I just thought the Rodney Dangerfield thing was funny and ran with it.

I agree with all your points and admit you have shown respect for LWC. Hyperbole is a fun easy way to get a discussion stated and that was my intent.

Let me ask you this? If LWC were to win out, would that have them crack the top 30?

Also, I know games are 4 quarters, but let's say Central played East two more quarters when they met. Why do I get the feeling the scored would've been 56 - 21ish? Would you agree?

That is a tough one. I had no idea how the game would go based on all the emotions involved. I never had LWC coming out on top save a huge meltdown or something other than football controlling he game. I don't care for Central's offense too much. Too much flashy and I am more of a power guy myself, but they may not have the personnel and do well with what the do. My big question was the defense. No doubt a big break down in the second half. East coaches made some great adjustment. Gave East 3 big plays (the fingertip catch to henning was icing) and LWC turned over the ball to a short field. I wasn't sure LWC could handle the size of the East offense. From what I saw in that game..I believe the LWC D can contain the East Offense as evidence by stopping them a few times of 4th down. I still think the LWC offense can on average score 14 against that great East D. So I know there was some see-saw in that game, but played again..I still see a 28-14 score in a more even keel game..

It took countless trick plays and 4th down conversions to put that game away.

And I wish you were on the schedule this year. The SWSC felt they should protect you guys this season, and I get it.

So, yeah...that is pretty much the LWC offense. Big flash and risk. Tends to pay off for them though.

Agreed, would like to see that game this year. And as I said above, not doubt LWC schedule is favorable. I believe that is going to eventually hurt the in the playoffs. Better competition builds better teams.

The main issue is that wacky conference of 13. There are some awesome teams and some really really bad teams. If the scheduleing Gods pass over most of the awesome teams it's tough to gauge who is good and who is not. A one game sample doesn't do anything (see Glenbard West game 1 for example or WV game vs NV). I think the conference needs to be broken into divisions and you need to add the Naperville's and Valleys for two divisions of 9 teams each. ;)

Agree...something really need to change with the 13 teams.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21

You bring up some good points but bringing up a score from 2016 is just silly.

Also I think Bolingbrook was either tied or leading HF at half this year. Before the Vikings kicked it in overdrive.

Every post of yours I read will get a like because of the creative avatar and username.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
I guess I don’t understand the point. If you’re somehow insinuating I have some how said they aren’t that good I’d be curious to see where I posted that

It was the "for now" part that I meant...

Every post of yours I read will get a like because of the creative avatar and username.
Ha...yeah and it is a perfect representation of why I love high school football. People should take pride in their programs, defend them adamantly, argue why theirs is the best, gloat when they when and eat crow when they loose. The kids that play the game should be treated like stars (in a good way, not the getting away with shadey stuff way). Every kid should know what the roar of the crowd sounds like and feels like on the field in a rivalry game. Some will go on to play at higher levels, some will never play football again but be successful in life, and some will end up unhappy shoe salesmen. But all of them should have their "I scored 4 touchdowns in one game" story. Then in the end none of it matters and we do it all again next year. Of course everyone should come back to Edgy's forum to hype it all up.

It’s officially playoff season. Cooler weather, playoff points and Soucie.

1 - That for now LWE is the best team in Illinois.
2 - That there’s nothing wrong with GBW.
3 - That Barrington finally got by Palatine.
4 - That Reeters looks good in white helmets and vs MT Carmel
5 - That Maine West is playoff eligible for the first time in more than a decade.
6 - That starting a Freshman QB on varsity often times more miss than hit.
7 - That it looks like Boylan is another miss when it comes to playoffs.
8 - That Coach Vlk has done a remarkable job at Buffalo Grove
9 - That Nap Ctrl showed very well vs a national power in St Ed.
10 - That we officially have playoff qualifiers.

That’s where we at.
Maine West hoping to win at least 2 of their last 3 to not only wrap up a playoff spot, but also get to possibly host a first round game.... lots of athletes on this team and the future is bright in the Sophomore and Junior classes as well for the next few years.... Coach Kradman and his young staff have done an amazing job and it will be fun to see how they finish this year.

Reactions: LakeCtyNewt
Maine West hoping to win at least 2 of their last 3 to not only wrap up a playoff spot, but also get to possibly host a first round game.... lots of athletes on this team and the future is bright in the Sophomore and Junior classes as well for the next few years.... Coach Kradman and his young staff have done an amazing job and it will be fun to see how they finish this year.

Welcome aboard and yes...the IlliniGrim is these days sadly....

LWE has pinned the only loss on FIVE (5-1) teams to date, 4 of them "ranked." It is highly likely they will face a 7-1 team in Week 9, also

Reactions: polkhighhero
Welcome aboard and yes...the IlliniGrim is these days sadly....
Thanks.... I'm enjoying learning in detail about all of the great high school programs here in Illinois while following Maine West.... and don't worry, Lovie will have the Illini back in a couple of years... good young classes there too...

LWE has pinned the only loss on FIVE (5-1) teams to date, 4 of them "ranked." It is highly likely they will face a 7-1 team in Week 9, also

This seems to be a perfect example of how chemistry determines success. We all figured that combining North and East would create the most dominant program in at least the publics last year. But combining two sets of seniors and trying to make them one likely led to competing agendas and a lack of cohesion.

With last year in the past, everyone seems to be rowing in the same direction at LWE which is bad news for the rest of us.

Last edited:
I will be lobbying the school to send the sophs but no show for varsity. And instead have the varsity show up at Romeoville in week 9 and issue a challenge. Turning high school football into WWE wrestling.

This seems to be a perfect example of how chemistry determines success. We all figured that combining North and East would create the most dominant program in st least the publics last year. But combining two sets of seniors and trying to make them one likely led to competing agendas and a lack of cohesion.

With last year in the past, everyone seems to be rowing in the same direction at LWE which is bad news for the rest of us.
Spot on. I said to my wife last year that it was a good time for us to play them because next year”look out”.

Thanks.... I'm enjoying learning in detail about all of the great high school programs here in Illinois while following Maine West.... and don't worry, Lovie will have the Illini back in a couple of years... good young classes there too...

You have too much faith in Lovie....

Reactions: PRokie and Cat Box
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT