ADVERTISEMENT

What are the 10 biggest rival games with giant crowds

That McAuley crowd was electric vs Marist tonight. Those girls played their behinds off and fed off that crowd.

Last few years, Simeon vs Phillips has been the biggest in the public league.

It's getting there hadn't been real ultra competitive up until the last year or two....
Actually, prior to this past fall, the two schools had not met in '15 and '16. The 2 seasons before that, they met in Week 2 as non-conference opponents. Before that, they were actually in the same division of the SWSC, meeting regularly. The series edge would clearly be skewed in East's favor. I would have to wonder how many times LWC ever beat LWE? Maybe shortly after the latter opened early in the millennium, the former took a couple?

Last edited:
It's getting there hadn't been real ultra competitive up until the last year or two....
Actually, prior to this past fall, the two schools had not met in '15 and '16. The 2 seasons before that, they met in Week 2 as non-conference opponents. Before that, they were actually in the same division of the SWSC, meeting regularly. The series edge would clearly be skewed in East's favor. I would have to wonder how many times LWC ever beat LWE? Maybe shortly after the latter opened early in the millennium, the former took a couple?
LWE has never lost to LWC.

WV and NV is crazy

Batavia vs Geneva has been packed with rabid fans. IDK how "huge" but that's a revved up game

Reactions: BataviaDogs1
WWS vs WN - Both stands full and 4 deep ALL the way around - Home or Away!

Last edited:
Loyola at New Trier week 2. The game is finally back. Friday night crowd and I’m hearing new stadium setup with increased stands will be a great home opener crowd.

What are the 10 biggest rival games with giant crowds

Fish:

A complete list must include the annual SR-MC game. Regardless of which venue the game takes place, it routinely attracts overflow crowds.

My first experience with a SR-MC game was in 1989 at Gately. A crowd virtually spilling into the street, I have been told it was the only time the gate was closed and spectators were turned away due to excess fans. One of the most thrilling games I have ever seen, the two teams nearly ground one another into the dust, before Rita escaped with a 14-7 win.

The game's impact on me was immeasurable: Truth stripped bare, I do not believe I would have developed an affection for the CCL if it had not been for this game. Since 1989, only rare circumstances have prevented me from making this titanic battle.

Reactions: RockSoup
Wilmington - Coal City. Good night for theft in both towns, as the entire communities are at the ballgame...

I'll second that. Not a massive crowd that the bigger schools will draw but I'd estimate anywhere between 1-3 thousand there depending on the week that it falls and the success of the teams for the year. In '04 when they were both undefeated and met in week 9 there was a huge turnout. Probably close to 5k.

Reactions: Gene K.
Last few years, Simeon vs Phillips has been the biggest in the public league.

I actually was able to go to the game. I lived in Miami but got out of town due to the threat of Hurricane Irma. I stayed with a friend in Chicago and the game was that weekend. It was a good one! Nice, but not great crowd. Got to talk with McAllister for a few minutes after the game too.

I'll second that. Not a massive crowd that the bigger schools will draw but I'd estimate anywhere between 1-3 thousand there depending on the week that it falls and the success of the teams for the year. In '04 when they were both undefeated and met in week 9 there was a huge turnout. Probably close to 5k.
Be interesting to see the crowds the next couple years for Morris vs Coal City.Some have wanted to see this matchup for years.

Reactions: Gene K.
All.... SHG vs Chatham .... (home and away) Tailgating everywhere. Titan fans hate my flag.

SHG vs Rochester .... Ken Leonard stadium in Springfield always packed. Rocket stadium fills up as well. Unfortunately that is not saying much. That town spends money on their schools everywhere except for adequate seating for the stadium. Get to the gate early for the "run" to the limited seating. Likely why they have all the games on the net for free. Ratsy P.S. They hate my flag (always flying high) in Rochester as well.

Last edited:
once in 2001 the first year of LWE - 40-7

According to the IHSA website, LWC - 40, LWE - 7 in Week 5 of 2001 season, probably East's first varsity season, maybe without a senior class, too?

That is right it was the first varsity season when LWE was all Juniors

Fish:

A complete list must include the annual SR-MC game. Regardless of which venue the game takes place, it routinely attracts overflow crowds.

My first experience with a SR-MC game was in 1989 at Gately. A crowd virtually spilling into the street, I have been told it was the only time the gate was closed and spectators were turned away due to excess fans. One of the most thrilling games I have ever seen, the two teams nearly ground one another into the dust, before Rita escaped with a 14-7 win.

The game's impact on me was immeasurable: Truth stripped bare, I do not believe I would have developed an affection for the CCL if it had not been for this game. Since 1989, only rare circumstances have prevented me from making this titanic battle.

That was a great game. One of the hardest hitting high school games I've seen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT