ADVERTISEMENT

West Suburban Silver Week 1 Review - Stock Up or Down

OPRF Illini 96

Gold Member
Jul 30, 2018
Now that all the West Suburban Silver teams have played, let's assess each team's stock - up or down

UP: Downers North, Glenbard West, Hinsdale Central, Lyons, York

GW probably made the strongest statement of all the Silver teams with an impressive win over Maine South. The Hitters' classic formula for success - a deep stable of running backs that wears opponents down + a physical, hard-hitting defense - was very effective against the Hawks.
Hinsdale Central notched a huge win last night over a top-10 Naperville Central team. Kitty could verify, but it sounds like the defense really came to play. Bit of a struggle offensively with a new QB, but that should improve gradually.
Old-school football was in grand style as DGN rolled at Buffalo Grove. 330 of the Trojans' 367 yards came on the ground. Good start for Drew Cassens' bunch.
Nice win for York over Schaumburg in OT. Mike Fitzgerald and the Dukes may be a factor in the Silver race after all, as may...
LT. The Lions scored the game's first 10 points at New Trier; they couldn't hold on. Still, I figured new coach Dan Hartman would have LT competitive again and he's off to a good start.

DOWN: OPRF, PW

7. That's the number of passing yards the Huskies had in the game last night at Waubonsie Valley. Yes, you heard correctly - 7 for the ENTIRE game. Unless you're a triple-option team like Cary-Grove or Prairie Ridge (and I'm sure when they do throw it's for more yardage than what OPRF did), you're not winning any football games, period. I didn't see the game as I was covering Fenwick's win over Curie, but I have no idea how that happened. Yeah, I know WV usually has a good defense, but seven yards passing in a game is ridiculous. McGill had a nice TD run, sure, but you have to be able to throw the ball - need to be balanced. And the defense gave up a couple of big passing plays that was the difference - same thing as last year. I still like the Huskies' potential, but they've got a lot of work to do, especially on offense.

PW - as expected - lost at Bolingbrook 43-10. Don't know if there was a running clock involved; I hope not. I'd like to see the Panthers show some signs of life, but admittedly they're in a tough spot.

Thoughts?

It was 43-2 at half against PW, so there was a clock involved.

I would say playcalling hampered OPRF more than lack of ability to pass.

Week 1 is in the books. A few quick thoughts, in reverse order.
PW -- I have a lot of respect for these kids. They know they're underdogs every week but give it their best.
LT -- The new coach has made a dent, but they have some work to do.
York -- Let's see if the OT win can start a trend.
OPRF -- What the actual hell was that?
DGN -- Better be ready for this team and their run game, but questions remain about their pass attack.
HC -- Quality team that can go deep into the playoffs. A very good start for the new old coach.
GW -- The Hitters start the season breathing fire on both sides of the ball. Now, if everyone can stay healthy.

Next week, OPRF has a big hill to climb to get on track, and I'd guess Willowbrook with be out to do the same. Just the second week and a make or break game already for both teams?

Reactions: Cross Bones
PW -- I have a lot of respect for these kids. They know they're underdogs every week but give it their best.
Indeed. And I think these struggling programs should play each other in non-con games and refuse to play the more established programs looking for wins. They have to unionize

Indeed. And I think these struggling programs should play each other in non-con games and refuse to play the more established programs looking for wins. They have to unionize
I agree with you. The coaches at PW are accomplishing a ton with these kids, and the kids get a ton out of being in the program. They should be able to approach the season with a chance to win some games.

Reactions: Gene K.
And which of these 2 categories would the Brook fall into Mr. Sandbagger? :)

NC @ HC---anyone playing NC has to be putting pressure on QB. HC has some big athletes on d-line this year and some fast LBs who did good job forcing Jackson out of pocket. On the plays where this didn't happen he was launching 45-50 yard money balls. A few plays in particular come to mind where Jackson targeted Thompson and Fluerima and looked like highlight TDs, but the HC DBs were there for key PBUs. Teams with smaller or less seasoned DBs are gonna struggle defending the Jackson to Thompson or Fleurima or Green deep ball.

The HC offense was trying to run a lot of zone that was getting swallowed up by NC LB #45. The zone run game did not look pretty despite HC having a big and scrappy o-line that played well. I'm really hoping they change it up and try out more rocket/runs to perimeter. The good news is that HC has a real horse of a dual-threat QB who puts his shoulder down when he takes the ball, and broke a couple tackles for a big 60 yd TD run that proved to be the difference (the 56 yd TD pass came with just over 2 to go in the 4th). This all not to take away anything from NC's defense. They were flying around last night and gave HC lots of trouble. That's a group that has yet to lose a game in the DVC, the junior and seniors classes having a scary combined record over the last 3 years. Plus they've been taking reps against Jackson and co all summer. And it showed last night. Shane Roth #45 is a player to watch, plus DB #11.

@Magnum Opus says NC has been shown to be a fraud: I have to disagree. The NC o-line is average/above average, and not liable to turn the offense into naught. Their RB has size and runs hard. Jackson and the 3 power 5 WRs will fall into rhythm (they also have some non-trivial weapons from the talented junior and senior classes---see Bo Turner), and they will put a hurt on DVC opponents. Game against NV will be huge for this team, having LWE, Pick (Oh), East Side all left on the schedule (which could easily bring them to 4 losses). Assuming they somehow manage to survive and get into the 8A field, I feel bad for whoever draws them. Next week against LWE should be good.

MS @ GW: Was a beautiful day at Duchon yesterday, never gets old. Before I say anything I should say both teams looked coached up, disciplined and hard hitting as we're used to seeing from Isnerra and Hetlet. I was wrong about the 6'5 soph QB, who left the program. GW did however, pick up 2 transfers at RB from Wheaton North, both of whom looked pretty darn electric in this one. GW will be looking to run the ball 50-60 times a game, and has its usual line of athletic, meaty hogs downhill coming grunting. The MS d-line was a bit undersized and was out-matched. Great start for GW's offense.

GW defense, as much as I want to laud their flying around and hard hitting, still leaves me with some question marks. After a great Q1 for GW, the MS QB1 settled in and rattled off a 21pt Q2 and it started looking like MS was gonna take control of the game. But then he didn't play in the 2nd half and QB2 really couldn't do anything. So I feel like it's still hard to know for sure who the dark side is this year. I'm not saying they're not good, that's not controversial. The question I can't answer is *how* good.

HC @ GW starting to look like the big one for the WSS this year, but I'm not prepared to write off OPRF yet, and York and DGN are definitely gonna be competitive.

NC @ HC---anyone playing NC has to be putting pressure on QB. HC has some big athletes on d-line this year and some fast LBs who did good job forcing Jackson out of pocket. On the plays where this didn't happen he was launching 45-50 yard money balls. A few plays in particular come to mind where Jackson targeted Thompson and Fluerima and looked like highlight TDs, but the HC DBs were there for key PBUs. Teams with smaller or less seasoned DBs are gonna struggle defending the Jackson to Thompson or Fleurima or Green deep ball.

The HC offense was trying to run a lot of zone that was getting swallowed up by NC LB #45. The zone run game did not look pretty despite HC having a big and scrappy o-line that played well. I'm really hoping they change it up and try out more rocket/runs to perimeter. The good news is that HC has a real horse of a dual-threat QB who puts his shoulder down when he takes the ball, and broke a couple tackles for a big 60 yd TD run that proved to be the difference (the 56 yd TD pass came with just over 2 to go in the 4th). This all not to take away anything from NC's defense. They were flying around last night and gave HC lots of trouble. That's a group that has yet to lose a game in the DVC, the junior and seniors classes having a scary combined record over the last 3 years. Plus they've been taking reps against Jackson and co all summer. And it showed last night. Shane Roth #45 is a player to watch, plus DB #11.

@Magnum Opus says NC has been shown to be a fraud: I have to disagree. The NC o-line is average/above average, and not liable to turn the offense into naught. Their RB has size and runs hard. Jackson and the 3 power 5 WRs will fall into rhythm (they also have some non-trivial weapons from the talented junior and senior classes---see Bo Turner), and they will put a hurt on DVC opponents. Game against NV will be huge for this team, having LWE, Pick (Oh), East Side all left on the schedule (which could easily bring them to 4 losses). Assuming they somehow manage to survive and get into the 8A field, I feel bad for whoever draws them. Next week against LWE should be good.

MS @ GW: Was a beautiful day at Duchon yesterday, never gets old. Before I say anything I should say both teams looked coached up, disciplined and hard hitting as we're used to seeing from Isnerra and Hetlet. I was wrong about the 6'5 soph QB, who left the program. GW did however, pick up 2 transfers at RB from Wheaton North, both of whom looked pretty darn electric in this one. GW will be looking to run the ball 50-60 times a game, and has its usual line of athletic, meaty hogs downhill coming grunting. The MS d-line was a bit undersized and was out-matched. Great start for GW's offense.

GW defense, as much as I want to laud their flying around and hard hitting, still leaves me with some question marks. After a great Q1 for GW, the MS QB1 settled in and rattled off a 21pt Q2 and it started looking like MS was gonna take control of the game. But then he didn't play in the 2nd half and QB2 really couldn't do anything. So I feel like it's still hard to know for sure who the dark side is this year. I'm not saying they're not good, that's not controversial. The question I can't answer is *how* good.

HC @ GW starting to look like the big one for the WSS this year, but I'm not prepared to write off OPRF yet, and York and DGN are definitely gonna be competitive.
Kitty...as always, well done.

Agreed - Fraud was the wrong word, and inappropriate.

Disagree - The NC defense isnt that good and the OLine also isnt. Cant win a championship with those weaknesses...why...read further

Agree - HC Defensive Analysis - i have warmed up to them, a lot. I picked them to beat NC, and they did.

Disagree - The HC offense is learning to play and gaining reps. Thats what made NC's defense look good.

Agree - GW might just be that good...Top 5 Good infact.

Disagree - DGN will be more than competative. I think Silver comes down to DGN and GW. HC is a very, very good team, but im drinkung from the DGN/GW coolers.

York - Coaching will be everything. They just can't lose to DGS. They matchup well with OPRF and Willowbrook. They gotta win them both and the better coached team will win those games. I think York goes 5-4 on the last game of the year. York loses to HC, GW, DN and willowbrook (best coached team over the last five seasons). Im also making and assumption that LT doesnt beat them.

LT - they will win a big game this year...will it be DGN, HC or GW?

You brought up the DVC. here goes:

Nequa will beat NC. Nequa is very well rounded. WV is a contender (3rd best). Having Matea, Dekalb and Naper North (who.
.btw...plays a very good defense) helps a team like NC. Two things...NC misses the playoffs, WSS is twice the conference as the DVC this year.

Kitty...as always, well done.

Agreed - Fraud was the wrong word, and inappropriate.

Disagree - The NC defense isnt that good and the OLine also isnt. Cant win a championship with those weaknesses...why...read further

Agree - HC Defensive Analysis - i have warmed up to them, a lot. I picked them to beat NC, and they did.

Disagree - The HC offense is learning to play and gaining reps. Thats what made NC's defense look good.

Agree - GW might just be that good...Top 5 Good infact.

Disagree - DGN will be more than competative. I think Silver comes down to DGN and GW. HC is a very, very good team, but im drinkung from the DGN/GW coolers.

York - Coaching will be everything. They just can't lose to DGS. They matchup well with OPRF and Willowbrook. They gotta win them both and the better coached team will win those games. I think York goes 5-4 on the last game of the year. York loses to HC, GW, DN and willowbrook (best coached team over the last five seasons). Im also making and assumption that LT doesnt beat them.

LT - they will win a big game this year...will it be DGN, HC or GW?

You brought up the DVC. here goes:

Nequa will beat NC. Nequa is very well rounded. WV is a contender (3rd best). Having Matea, Dekalb and Naper North (who.
.btw...plays a very good defense) helps a team like NC. Two things...NC misses the playoffs, WSS is twice the conference as the DVC this year.
It's week 1. Impossible to get all that at this point.

I was at my son's game (York)
Quick Recap
Saxons jump out 13-0 and late in 1H are driving - but a pic leads to a TD to cut the lead to 13-7. 2H all York (kinda) most of the half played on one side of the field - credit the Saxons for holding the Dukes w/o points after 2 red zone tries but can't stop them the 3rd time. However, the Dukes K hits the left upright on the PAT - score tied 13-13 with 2 mins. The Saxons drive to 4 yard line but time runs out (poor, poor coaching and time management).
Head to OT - Dukes get ball first and get 3 pts. Saxons turn with the ball - first play goes for 9 yards - 2nd down yields no gain - 3rd down, the RB gets to the 1/2 yard line - BUT.....some OL for the Saxons inexplicably takes his helmet off on the field of play (my hunch thinks he believed his teammate scored and he wanted to celebrate). SO, 15 yard penalty - back to the 15.5 yard line - a 32 yard FG attempt had no chance. York wins 16-13. Much better play in 2H - many dropped passes - the running game ok - line is huge but will need time to gel. York will beat DGS will get 7 W's W W W W W W W

I was at my son's game (York)
Quick Recap
Saxons jump out 13-0 and late in 1H are driving - but a pic leads to a TD to cut the lead to 13-7. 2H all York (kinda) most of the half played on one side of the field - credit the Saxons for holding the Dukes w/o points after 2 red zone tries but can't stop them the 3rd time. However, the Dukes K hits the left upright on the PAT - score tied 13-13 with 2 mins. The Saxons drive to 4 yard line but time runs out (poor, poor coaching and time management).
Head to OT - Dukes get ball first and get 3 pts. Saxons turn with the ball - first play goes for 9 yards - 2nd down yields no gain - 3rd down, the RB gets to the 1/2 yard line - BUT.....some OL for the Saxons inexplicably takes his helmet off on the field of play (my hunch thinks he believed his teammate scored and he wanted to celebrate). SO, 15 yard penalty - back to the 15.5 yard line - a 32 yard FG attempt had no chance. York wins 16-13. Much better play in 2H - many dropped passes - the running game ok - line is huge but will need time to gel. York will beat DGS will get 7 W's W W W W W W W
Who are they beating out of the following to get to 7-2?:

Glenbard West
Hinsdale Central
Downers North
Willowbrook

Which 2? I drank the coolaide as well my friend. Would love to see it, but you also have to consider the Head Coaches in this conference, the Head Coach of York, and also beating the following:

Downers South - similar to Schaumburg with good coaching (btw...Schaumburg has great coaching)

LYONS - The Head Coach has owned York for years (Former HC Head Coach), as well as Lyons except last year. They return 16 starters....York 5.

OPRF - Almost forgot about them as i wrote them off last week. Only if they recruited like they do for wrestling or like Naperville Central/East St. LOUIS does.

I'm with you brother, but slow down! The Cubs made the playoffs continuously every decade, but ripped out our hearts out every time they did. It was like dating a girl, breaking up, then getting back together again, and again, and again only to end up in the same spot. GOD I HATED THAT GIRL...until a few years ago. She's kinda like Jenny from Forest Gump!

Dammit Dukes, stop being that girl! You are the cubs of high school football....well, not really. Just get 5 wins, make the playoffs, and watch Elmhurst burn to the ground! Not sure Elmhurst could handle it!

Go Dukes!

Who are they beating out of the following to get to 7-2?:

Glenbard West
Hinsdale Central
Downers North
Willowbrook

Which 2? I drank the coolaide as well my friend. Would love to see it, but you also have to consider the Head Coaches in this conference, the Head Coach of York, and also beating the following:

Downers South - similar to Schaumburg with good coaching (btw...Schaumburg has great coaching)

LYONS - The Head Coach has owned York for years (Former HC Head Coach), as well as Lyons except last year. They return 16 starters....York 5.

OPRF - Almost forgot about them as i wrote them off last week. Only if they recruited like they do for wrestling or like Naperville Central/East St. LOUIS does.

I'm with you brother, but slow down! The Cubs made the playoffs continuously every decade, but ripped out our hearts out every time they did. It was like dating a girl, breaking up, then getting back together again, and again, and again only to end up in the same spot. GOD I HATED THAT GIRL...until a few years ago. She's kinda like Jenny from Forest Gump!

Dammit Dukes, stop being that girl! You are the cubs of high school football....well, not really. Just get 5 wins, make the playoffs, and watch Elmhurst burn to the ground! Not sure Elmhurst could handle it!

Go Dukes!
Saxons coaching??? Not sure how you can call a run play up the middle with a hobbled RB on 3rd and 6 from the 8 yard line with 14 seconds to go with zero time outs. The result: a 4 yard gain and no FG attempt to win it in regulation. I'm sure they are good coaches but even they would have to admit that they wish they could have a re-do there.
York will defeat DGN and the Brook (not Da Brook but Willowbrook). Maybe a stretch to call for 7 W's -- and sure it would be safe and un-fun to predict a 5 or 6 win season, but hopefully the football can carry the momentum from last season's basketball team - one of the best in school history

Saxons coaching??? Not sure how you can call a run play up the middle with a hobbled RB on 3rd and 6 from the 8 yard line with 14 seconds to go with zero time outs. The result: a 4 yard gain and no FG attempt to win it in regulation. I'm sure they are good coaches but even they would have to admit that they wish they could have a re-do there.
York will defeat DGN and the Brook (not Da Brook but Willowbrook). Maybe a stretch to call for 7 W's -- and sure it would be safe and un-fun to predict a 5 or 6 win season, but hopefully the football can carry the momentum from last season's basketball team - one of the best in school history
Please put the crack pipe down...28 straight plays to the right with a week Qb (16 incompletions) and a massive OL. Thats right...keep throwing it. Achaumburg was so shocked to be in this game because of Yorks lack of Coaching Leadership that they didnt know what to do.

Great Head Coach the Cubs have! I hope he gains wisdom and stops playing video games.

Further, what momentum does last year's basketball team provide for football this year? For the record, that was the best coached basketball team I've ever seen, except of Pete Carrolls Princentons teams.

We want the same thing.... just put down the crack pipe!

Crack Pipe = Down

No way they beat DGN or "the Brook (Not Da Brook but Willowbrook)"

Please put the crack pipe down...28 straight plays to the right with a week Qb (16 incompletions) and a massive OL. Thats right...keep throwing it. Achaumburg was so shocked to be in this game because of Yorks lack of Coaching Leadership that they didnt know what to do.

Great Head Coach the Cubs have! I hope he gains wisdom and stops playing video games.

Further, what momentum does last year's basketball team provide for football this year? For the record, that was the best coached basketball team I've ever seen, except of Pete Carrolls Princentons teams.

We want the same thing.... just put down the crack pipe!

Crack Pipe = Down

No way they beat DGN or "the Brook (Not Da Brook but Willowbrook)"
Relax Clown - the momentum from the basketball team was just a comment related to overall school spirit and the overall positive vibes in the school - no direct correlation to football X's and O's and really just a shout out to a great group of guys I got to know very well - as well as Head Coach Vince Doran - there were no 28 straight plays to the right - and as far as the 16 incompletions, well I did state we had too many dropped passes I believe - that will get corrected - now calm down kid

Relax Clown - the momentum from the basketball team was just a comment related to overall school spirit and the overall positive vibes in the school - no direct correlation to football X's and O's and really just a shout out to a great group of guys I got to know very well - as well as Head Coach Vince Doran - there were no 28 straight plays to the right - and as far as the 16 incompletions, well I did state we had too many dropped passes I believe - that will get corrected - now calm down kid
Thanks Captian Kool-aide.

Who's you son?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT