ADVERTISEMENT

Week 8: The Underclassmen Report for Springfield/Decatur MacArthur

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
I was able to get out to see games on both Friday night and Saturday this past weekend. . I was in Arlington Heights for the Prospect win over Hersey and then Saturday I was at Springfield Memorial Stadium for Decatur MacArthur vs Springfield. I will prepare these reports each week during the 2021 Fall season. Questions? Issues? Post em here or email me edgytim@edgytim.com

Springfield Senators

(note: the Springfield roster provided did not list heights/weights. The players who had sizes listed I got from Hudl/Max Preps)

Top Underclassmen to Watch

2024 TE/LB Jack Swaney (6-foot-1, 220 pounds)
2024 OL Dorian Eguez
2023 OL Julian Miller
2023 OL/DL Demarion Holmes (6-foot-0, 265 pounds)
2023 DL De'Undra Holmes
2023 DE Kentrell Fortner
2024 DL Robert Bolden (6-foot-2, 203 pounds)

Senior Eye Opener

RB Tyree Coleman (5-foot-10, 185 pounds) -
Coleman has been on several recruiting radar screens for some time now and he was pretty impressive in this 42-34 loss to Decatur MacArthur. Coleman is a well put together back with impressive combination of power and speed. Coleman has impressive start/stop ability along with good balance and feet. Coleman is also a power runner who can easily run over a defender along with running past them. Coleman is also a solid, productive running back who no question checks off several check marks when looking for a higher level ball carrier. Coleman could become a real steal at the D2 level in my opinion and he could also play at that level and become a regular starter and contributor at the D2 level.

Decatur MacArthur Generals

(note: the MacArthur roster provided did not list heights/weights. The players who had sizes listed I got from Hudl)

Top Underclassmen to Watch

The roster unfortunately didn't list any sizes etc and I wasn't able to find much of anything online regarding more details. I have a call into Deerek Spates and will hopefully revise this story as soon as I get more details/info on these kids. FYI the 2024 group of linebackers all have eyeball passing physical tools.

2024 OL/DL King Smith (6-foot-3, 250 pounds)- Big, physical young kid who also moves really well. Took on all comers all day on both sides of the football and I was impressed with his overall physical tools and toughness. This game was also played on the muddy track of Memorial Stadium in Springfield, and any linemen who played both ways and was able hold up for four quarters playing both ways...heck that was impressive alone. Again the Generals have a really strong core of 2024 names on the rise and King Smith is just one of several names we will hear from sooner rather than later.

2024 OL Chris Freemon
2023 OL Kain Radley (6-foot-0, 265 pounds)
2023 OL Ethan Badon
2023 DE Kentrell Fortner
2024 LB Cameron France
2023 LB Rodrick Millsap
2024 LB Jemari Tennin
2024 DB Sam Owens (6-foot-0, 170 pounds)

Senior Eye Opener

QB Brylan Phillips (5-foot-11, 180 pounds) -
Phillips started his career at rival Decatur Eisenhower then moved over the MacArthur last spring. I was able to see Phillips up close during the COVID lockdown in the winter of 2020 taking part in a 7on7 tournament in Peoria. Phillips is a strong and really athletic player who has a ton to offer at the next level. Phillips is an definite dual threat quarterback who does extremely well in either the run game or leading the passing attack. Phillips has impressive arm talent, runs well and has speed and and impressive feet and overall quickness. Phillips also has a strong grasp of the Generals offense, was able to make several check downs and was able to make plays when things broke down from a protection standpoint. The only real knock I can potentially see for Phillips is his overall height for the higher level schools.....yet if given the chance I can see Phillips getting a long loom at say the D2/NAIA level and end up becoming a pretty impressive player and contributor. Phillips is also a basketball player who is also drawing recruiting attention for Hoops as well.

Reactions: rocketnation
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News