ADVERTISEMENT

WB6 and TRAC Week 6 look ahead.

Swansa01

Gold Member
Aug 10, 2017
Bit late this week with the post. Busy week of school along with my middle school team having 2 games instead of 1 @.@.

WB6 Week 6

Geneseo over Sterling: Sterling has won the last 8 meetings of this rivalry, but with how both teams have looked this year, I think Geneseo will roll that counter back to zero. I know it’s a rivalry game and you throw everything out the window, but Geneseo has been a team on a mission, and Sterling looked meh against Princeton last week. Leafs celebrate a three score homecoming victory.

Quincy over Galesburg: Another game where Quincy puts up lots of yards and lots of points and gets the starters out as soon as they can. Im sorry Galesburg fans, but the string of being thumped in games continues.

United Township over Rock Island: I think this should be a pretty good game. Rock Island has played tough defense, but struggles to move the ball. UT has been decent on both sides of the ball. I think the key in this one will be UT QB Mathew Kelly. He stays upright and has time to work his magic, UT wins this one.

Moline receives a forfeit win over Alleman.

TRAC Week 6

Princeton over Kewanee: Big time battle here! Unbeaten Boilermakers and one loss Tigers. While this should be a heck of a game, Princeton has played a harder schedule and is at home, so im giving the nod to them. Would be huge for Kewanee going forward if they can pull the upset and prove me wrong.

Morrison over Sherrard: Despite the records, I think this game will be a close fought contest. Sherrard is a pretty solid under .500 team. Sadly their super tough schedule continues against an undefeated Morrison squad who will start to pull away in the 4th.

Newman over Bureau Valley: Two very tough teams looking to make that push to the postseason. Newman has been on fire as of late and has arguably one of the best defenses in the area. This will be a close, low scoring game where Newman’s defense gets a score to power the Comets to a win and playoff eligibility.

Hall over Illinois Valley Central: Neither team has proved good this season, but Hall has been able to get some wins. Red Devils claim their third win of the season.

Mendota over Riverdale: The Battle of teams seeking their first win of the season. It will be hard fought, it will be ugly, it might even have something weird happen, but Mendota gets win number 1 of the season.

Rockridge over Monmouth-Roseville: Rockridge is playing at near top of the conference level of football, having rattled off 4 straight convincing wins against some decent competition. MR met the top of the conference last week in Morrison and it wasn’t pretty. The Rockets get the win but the Titans keep it close as they are showing to be a better road team than home team.

Orion over Erie-Prophetstown: Orion is reeling from 3 straight losses but gets a good chance to right the ship this week against an 0-5 EP team who has yet to find much success on either side of the ball. Orion wins this one comfortably.

Geneseo over Sterling - agree with your thoughts. Geneseo looks real good this year and Sterling looks very average.

Princeton vs Kewanee - agree this will be an excellent game, but I don’t know if it would be considered an upset if Kewanee wins, they are really good and will make a run in 3A.

Morrison over Sherrard - I see a blowout in favor of Morrison, I think they are destined for a very deep playoff run.

Newman - BV. I also see a fun close game here.

Rockridge over MR. Rockridge another team that I think will win a few playoff games.

Mendota - Riverdale. This game couldn’t get here fast enough for either team. Mendota has scored 4 times in 5 games. Riverdale hasn’t won a game since pre-covid.

Reactions: Swansa01
UT-Rocky is a really compelling matchup.
Rock Island is 0-5 and has mostly not looked competitive but is also coming off what might be the most difficult early-season schedule of any downstate team other than East St. Louis. Their losses are to Minooka (#8 in 8A), Dunlap (#7 in 6A), Quincy (#8 in 7A), Newman (#7 in 1A), and Moline (had been receiving votes and looking like a better team than their record would indicate). In my mind, certainly a more challenging schedule than UT (Quincy and 4A #9 Geneseo, and Sterling (comparable to Moline) but also a no-hope CPS team and a mediocre LP team).
UT also has something to play for, as if they win out, they'd be in the playoffs. They will get a forfeit win in Week 8 and should be just fine against Galesburg in Week 9, but they have to win here and then beat Moline next week. Tough road to get there.

Having watched both, Rock Island is on a good trend having played better in the last two weeks, while UT is coming off two big losses. I think Rocky is a better team in a nearly coin-flip game, and at home, I think Rocky wins. Tough to pick, though.

And re: Morrison - I don't think they're destined for a deep playoff run. Not that they're not good enough, but by the quarters they are almost guaranteed to see Fulton, Forreston, or Lena-Winslow, and maybe even Newman. (What a treat to have all of these good teams in a small area.)
As a side note, how enjoyable would it have been to watch Morrison play Newman this year?!?!

And re: Morrison - I don't think they're destined for a deep playoff run. Not that they're not good enough, but by the quarters they are almost guaranteed to see Fulton, Forreston, or Lena-Winslow, and maybe even Newman. (What a treat to have all of these good teams in a small area.)
As a side note, how enjoyable would it have been to watch Morrison play Newman this year?!?!
Good point. LW would be tough, but I like Morrison over Newman Catholic and Fulton this year and maybe Forreston as well.

The perpetual problem in the 1A North.

For that matter, the NUIC next year is gonna be even more stacked than it is now.

Sterling has won 8 straight against Geneseo and correct me if I’m wrong but I think they even running clocked them the last two or three years. Correct me if I’m wrong.
This year will be much different I’m afraid, I’ve seen Sparks of greatness at times with Sterling
But over all the offensive line is not creating any room to run the ball. Their passing game has been decent but they continue to try and run and get nowhere against good teams. Galesburg was no problem but Princeton was pathetic. One dimensional run plays up the middle that went nowhere. Their defense is decent. But overall this team has not come out of their shells yet, Couldn’t be a better stage to do so in Geneseo, with Quincy next week this is a must win game for Sterling. I will say this, Sterling has had a much tougher schedule and Geneseo has had a fairly easy schedule. I think it will be closer than you think and closer than your 3 score prediction, but I think Geneseo finally breaks the 8 straight game losing streak.

Sterling has won 8 straight against Geneseo and correct me if I’m wrong but I think they even running clocked them the last two or three years. Correct me if I’m wrong.
This year will be much different I’m afraid, I’ve seen Sparks of greatness at times with Sterling
But over all the offensive line is not creating any room to run the ball. Their passing game has been decent but they continue to try and run and get nowhere against good teams. Galesburg was no problem but Princeton was pathetic. One dimensional run plays up the middle that went nowhere. Their defense is decent. But overall this team has not come out of their shells yet, Couldn’t be a better stage to do so in Geneseo, with Quincy next week this is a must win game for Sterling. I will say this, Sterling has had a much tougher schedule and Geneseo has had a fairly easy schedule. I think it will be closer than you think and closer than your 3 score prediction, but I think Geneseo finally breaks the 8 straight game losing streak.
I would love to be wrong, but I think the offense took a step back last week. If the offense stays stuck in its shell, the defense will wear down and Geneseo will start pulling away. If Sterling wants to have a coming out party, tonight on Geneseo's homecoming would be a great time to have it.

Reactions: Sterling Warrior
I would love to be wrong, but I think the offense took a step back last week. If the offense stays stuck in its shell, the defense will wear down and Geneseo will start pulling away. If Sterling wants to have a coming out party, tonight on Geneseo's homecoming would be a great time to have it.

Just a shocking loss, Sterling seems to have Geneseo’s number. Quincy should have the conference crown pretty much wrapped up at this point.
Why? Because Geneseo lost?
I’m surprised myself though, I thought Geneseo would be better.
than what they were, but had not met a decent defense yet.

Why? Because Geneseo lost?
I’m surprised myself though, I thought Geneseo would be better.
than what they were, but had not met a decent defense yet.
Geneseo is better than how they played tonight, defense played decent until end, offense just had a bad game and never adjusted. It happens, but never the less congrats to you.

Didnt get to see alot of the game tonight, but I have never been so happy to be wrong about how a game would go.

Didnt get to see alot of the game tonight, but I have never been so happy to be wrong about how a game would go.
You missed a good one! Sterling led 7-3 the entire game, every long play Sterling would get on offense got called back for a penalty including a 95 yard punt return for TD. Then at the very end Geneseo drove down field and got the ball down on to the 1 yard line but Sterling stopped them on 4th down. With 6 seconds left Sterling got the ball at the 1 and needed to run the clock out and ended up going 99 yards to score. Sterlings offense looked bad once again but the defense played lights out.

I look forward to watching the replay. I was running the clock at our high school game tonight so could only catch snippets of the stream during timeouts and halftime.

wondering why geneseo's qb (weller) missed a lot of the game. injury? illness? nobody seemed to know. he nearly led the leafs to a comeback victory when he came back in with 3 mins left.

fwiw, some of my sources are saying they heard it was migraine headaches along with blurry vision.

I suspect it was a possible concussion that took him out of the game. He took some hard hits early and without him their offense was stagnant as Weller is their main weapon for rushing and scoring.
Sterling played very well on defense and definitely came to play as well.

in this day and age, i would be very surprised if he was put back into the game after a concussion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT