ADVERTISEMENT

Was talking with a friend, what would you think of this idea....

McCaravan

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2016
This is just a BS conversation between two big fans of the game so don’t take it for anything more then this, but curious to your reactions.

The big talk lately is that the season but be cancelled half way through when expected cases rise or when the flu season arrives and people start wigging out because they don’t know if they have the flu or Covid. The scenario we came up with is would you be in support of a season without a State Playoff and State Champions being named?

You knock off the first two Non Conference games. Start the season when week two would have began, giving you an extra week of prep. Play your 7 conference games against the team that are pretty much in your area or region, so a 7 game schedule and the season ends a week earlier then initially planned and you end it with Conference Champions. This will end the season before the Flu starts coming into play and prevent travel to different areas of the States where the infection numbers may be different.

I DO NOT want this to happen, I want to play a normal season, but if it’s in Lieu of 0 games, then I’d take what I can get. This will also allow players who couldn’t attend camps or been able to to create much film because they didn’t see the field much as a junior the chance to do so.

Again just a topic to see what you would think in this dead period.

Cutoff the final two games rather than the first two to give tough conferences a chance at playoffs. Those first two games are typically winnable game to aid in securing wins towards five. If a 7 game season 4 wins = auto berth, 3 wins= eligible Start at week 3 with week 1 games

Pretty simple, you play the last 7 games on your schedule (all conference games). Not sure how the "sounds like" got there.

All.... Nope. Unlike non con games where one can schedule easy or tough matches closed conferences don't have that luxury.

Eliminating the first two games in a ten team conference will produce an imbalance among those teams. There are schools in the CS8 that rarely beat SHG, Rochester, and Chatham and limp through the season with 3 or 4 wins. Some of them would not have to play one or both by eliminating week 1 and 2 games if it fell that way. And on the flip side the upper tier teams could get the short end of the deal and have to play the toughest schedule. That's not going to fly by any of the coaches.

It doesn't matter though. The whole subject was DOA from the start. Elevating conferences that play non cons over those that don't and giving them some type of enhanced rights for this idea would never be approved by the Ihsa. Ratsy

All.... Nope. Unlike non con games where one can schedule easy or tough matches closed conferences don't have that luxury.

Eliminating the first two games in a ten team conference will produce an imbalance among those teams. There are schools in the CS8 that rarely beat SHG, Rochester, and Chatham and limp through the season with 3 or 4 wins. Some of them would not have to play one or both by eliminating week 1 and 2 games if it fell that way. And on the flip side the upper tier teams could get the short end of the deal and have to play the toughest schedule. That's not going to fly by any of the coaches.

It doesn't matter though. The whole subject was DOA from the start. Elevating conferences that play non cons over those that don't and giving them some type of enhanced rights for this idea would never be approved by the Ihsa. Ratsy
This isn't a "regular" season and the kids just want to play. IF this were proposed as the best way to get games played, I think they would agree to it.

This isn't a "regular" season and the kids just want to play. IF this were proposed as the best way to get games played, I think they would agree to it.

All.... But is it the best way to get games played? One would reasonably assume the genesis of McCaravan's idea is because he's is a Mt. Carmel gent and of course they play many non cons including those in the first two weeks. It fits the mold.....

One could also make an argument (not me) the correct way if the intent is to delay the season for two weeks would be class enrollment district style play among all schools with winners getting a district title. Remember also another criteria of his was a conference champion would be named. In a closed conference under the proposed seven game schedule a "paper lion" could result because of not playing two heavy weights in said conference.

Covid 19 will be around regardless and no one at this stage is exactly sure how bad the purported coming surge will be . Flu season ramps up in October and usually peaks between December and February. A seven game schedule starting two weeks later say September 13 and ending October 25 puts one in that area where the kids could be dealing with both. If that doesn't bother anyone well.... what's another two weeks. Get all nine games in. There are just two many variances and scenarios involved for me to think this particular proposal is the best.

Likely a moot point anyway. I don't think HS football in Illinois happens this year. Ratsy

Last edited:
Reactions: Solid Snake Pliskin
Here's an interesting scenario...Lets go find a nice small-town 1A football conference downstate. The majority of Varsity rosters in this conference probably have only an average of 25 players. So, on an average Friday night, each sideline - 150 feet+ away from the other sideline - will have about 35 people on it (25ish players, 5ish coaches, trainer, couple stat keepers, couple ball/waterboys). 11 players will be on the field each, plus refs. So when players are on the field, about 28 on the field, 25 on each sideline, they might meet the 50 people in a space requirement...And they are outdoors....

This analysis doesn't work for big schools with 100 kids on the rosters...Again, rules that work for 1A schools might not work for 8A schools...

Reactions: Gene K.
Here's an interesting scenario...Lets go find a nice small-town 1A football conference downstate. The majority of Varsity rosters in this conference probably have only an average of 25 players. So, on an average Friday night, each sideline - 150 feet+ away from the other sideline - will have about 35 people on it (25ish players, 5ish coaches, trainer, couple stat keepers, couple ball/waterboys). 11 players will be on the field each, plus refs. So when players are on the field, about 28 on the field, 25 on each sideline, they might meet the 50 people in a space requirement...And they are outdoors....
Yes but once you sub the group grows and if they have mingled at all you quickly group to over 50 people. That being said I expect a set of Phase 4B guidelines that will provide new standards because Phase 5 is not coming anytime soon if a vaccine is the standard.

Yes but once you sub the group grows and if they have mingled at all you quickly group to over 50 people. That being said I expect a set of Phase 4B guidelines that will provide new standards because Phase 5 is not coming anytime soon if a vaccine is the standard.
Agreed....could be years....nobody knows. Amendments will have to be made as needed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT