ADVERTISEMENT

Update: 2024 RB Tony Phillips Jr. recaps his season/recruiting news

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Kankakee (Ill.) Bishop McNamara 2024 running back recruit Tony Phillips Jr. (5-foot-6, 170 pounds) had a very strong sophomore season for the Fighting Irish and Hall of Fame head coach Rich Zinnani. Phillips Jr. takes a few minutes and recaps his just completed sophomore4 season along with recapping his latest recruiting news in this update.

"I've been just getting back into the lab," Phillips Jr. said. "I took a few weeks off to rest up and recover from the season but now I'm back to work ."

Phillips Jr. recapped his latest recruiting news this fall.

"My recruiting has bene going good so far. I have talked to a lot of schools throughout the season and I got invited to the national NFL combine. I also did a few game day visits this fall. I went to game day visits to Central Michigan, Notre Dame and also Illinois. All of those visits went nice and Illinois was my second visits there. I'm hoping to make visits to Syracuse, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Tennessee this coming spring and summer."

So which schools have been staying in touch with Phillips Jr. this fall?

"Over the football season I got interest from Nebraska, Kansas, Auburn, Oregon State, Maryland, Northwestern, Rutgers, Virginia Tech, Michigan State, Michigan and a lot of others. We just opened up my Hudl video from private during the state playoffs so hopefully more schools will get a look at my full sophomore year game videos."

So what's the plan for Phillips Jr. this off-season?

"I'm going back to work and back in the weight room. I'm working on my route running and just getting bigger and stronger. I run track for my school so that will also keep me busy."

So how different will next season feel minus Hall of Fame head coach Rich Zinnani, who retired at the end of the season?

"It's gonna be kind of sad. I think Coach will stop by throughout the season and stop by some games next season."

Tony Phillips Jr. has multiple scholarship offers.

My Take on Tony Phillips Jr. Recruiting: Phillips Jr. was terrific this past season for the Fighting Irish and is already holding a handful of Power 5 offers. Phillips Jr. just has a terrific combination of speed, burst and explosiveness along with the ability to start and stop on a dime. Phillips Jr. has all the tools and upside to develop into a Rivals 250 caliber name in the Class of 2024, a Class that seems to be growing and developing into a very strong class that is coming here in the State of Illinois.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News