ADVERTISEMENT

TV for Cascia? SR 27, Sandburg 17 (Final)

I can just piggy back onto this thread if you don’t mind.

I know there’s plans to televise. Saw more tech gear there this year than last year but don’t know if it’s for game film use or public consumption. I can make a call tomorrow morning.

As far as a preview: This matchup is perfect for both schools. A great test for both schools but with the SICA/DuPage merger, I don’t know if Sandburg re-ups for another two years.

I say perfect for both schools because St. Rita gets a healthy program with an excellent coach while still being favored most of the time. While Sandburg gets an annual playoff qualifier with a challenging roster that they can definitely beat once in awhile. I mean Sandburg’s schedule does not ‘need’ St. Rita on it to make them playoff-ready, the rest of their schedule is challenging enough. Does Sandburg re-up with a traditional power or go searching for an easier week 1 W?

As far as the game goes, it’s a toss up. St. Rita’s young speed vs Sandburg’s size. Sandburg, again, impresses with McAllister as their week 0 scrimmage was vs Morgan Park. Morgan Park has speed to burn so St. Rita’s possible speed advantage is partially negated by the Eagles’ having seen top flight speed already this season ( how many years can you say that in week one, never until week 0’s became a thing)

St. Rita usually known for a having a stable of corn-fed, sewer cap monsters is undersized compared to their usual years. But fret not, they’ll still be bigger than 75% of their opponents. And from the looks from week 0, Sandburg is not a team the Mustangs will be bigger than. The Eagles are massive.

I know the coaches don’t want to hear this but this collection of St. Rita Mustangs is the best group of talent they have had sophomore to senior since the Kaleb Brown/Michael Gaughan year. But they are young, and I mean young. 17? Seniors on the team. But of those seniors are the extremely talented James Kingsbury, Justin Buckner and Nick Herman so that is an impressive trio. Plus, I’m going to say it now, the defensive backfield led by returning juniors Langston Smith and James Franklin with the rest of the nickel personnel are all underclassmen, I cannot wait to see them with one year of Coach Hopkins under their belt. It’s possibly the best potential defensive backfield I have seen at 77th and Western Ave.

The Mustangs offense could be explosive. JR QB Armbruster definitely impressed me in week 0 being bigger, stronger and quicker than I remember. If Coach Nee can get his swagger going early in games and in the season, he can have an extremely productive career. I see the JR Armbruster’s confidence as an extremely important factor to his game. He’s hard on himself. But when he’s bouncing like he knows he belongs (Marist game last year) then he could end up being the best player on the field.

And if St. Rita has a potential, legitimate Player of the Year Candidate, it’s RB Nick Herman, violent, fast, a threat to house each touch. Best CCL player not named Elliot. Soph RB, Brandon Johnson looks the part. Herman is the horse but you can’t go an 11-14 game season with their schedule getting 40 touches, you need a compliment and Brandon Johnson could be perfect. Raw, talented, large, fast, accepts contact, if his feet, angles and carrying height improves over time, St. Rita will produce another top flight RB. Toss in what could be St. Rita’s best offensive weapon in since Kaleb Browns Junior year in Walter Jones and like I said, the very young Mustangs could, COULD be explosive.

Sandburg returns many key pieces from last year and will again have the size advantage. This game could go either way. Sandburg with a quality week 0 opponent, have a week experience over the young Mustangs and if I have overrated St. Rita’s talent, then the Eagles will go toe to toe for 4 quarters winning a 22-21 type game. I believe St. Rita will win 21-8 but can see them losing this game also like I said if I have overrated them. Sorry wit that it took so long to respond. Have a great week

Last edited:
Began experimenting with YouTube last year. Started rough, ended better. I’ll share a link when they post it. It will be YouTube.

Plus I’ll call tomorrow to see how far they come in getting a quality production.
JCA has been using YouTube for several years and I really like their production and quality. I believe Brother Rice also uses YouTube, nice quality. There are several others.

AKA: Have your production guys get ahold of JCA &/or Brother Rice if they are still having growing pains. :)

I can just piggy back onto this thread if you don’t mind.

I know there’s plans to televise. Saw more tech gear there this year than last year but don’t know if it’s for game film use or public consumption. I can make a call tomorrow morning.

As far as a preview: This matchup is perfect for both schools. A great test for both schools but with the SICA/DuPage merger, I don’t know if Sandburg re-ups for another two years.

I say perfect for both schools because St. Rita gets a healthy program with an excellent coach while still being favored most of the time. While Sandburg gets an annual playoff qualifier with a challenging roster that they can definitely beat once in awhile. I mean Sandburg’s schedule does not ‘need’ St. Rita on it to make them playoff-ready, the rest of their schedule is challenging enough. Does Sandburg re-up with a traditional power or go searching for an easier week 1 W?

As far as the game goes, it’s a toss up. St. Rita’s young speed vs Sandburg’s size. Sandburg, again, impresses with McAllister as their week 0 scrimmage was vs Morgan Park. Morgan Park has speed to burn so St. Rita’s possible speed advantage is partially negated by the Eagles’ having seen top flight speed already this season ( how many years can you say that in week one, never until week 0’s became a thing)

St. Rita usually known for a having a stable of corn-fed, sewer cap monsters is undersized compared to their usual years. But fret not, they’ll still be bigger than 75% of their opponents. And from the looks from week 0, Sandburg is not a team the Mustangs will be bigger than. The Eagles are massive.

I know the coaches don’t want to hear this but this collection of St. Rita Mustangs is the best group of talent they have had sophomore to senior since the Kaleb Brown/Michael Gaughan year. But they are young, and I mean young. 17? Seniors on the team. But of those seniors are the extremely talented James Kingsbury, Justin Buckner and Nick Herman so that is an impressive trio. Plus, I’m going to say it now, the defensive backfield led by returning juniors Langston Smith and James Franklin with the rest of the nickel personnel are all underclassmen, I cannot wait to see them with one year of Coach Hopkins under their belt. It’s possibly the best potential defensive backfield I have seen at 77th and Western Ave.

The Mustangs offense could be explosive. JR QB Armbruster definitely impressed me in week 0 being bigger, stronger and quicker than I remember. If Coach Nee can get his swagger going early in games and in the season, he can have an extremely productive career. I see the JR Armbruster’s confidence as an extremely important factor to his game. He’s hard on himself. But when he’s bouncing like he knows he belongs (Marist game last year) then he could end up being the best player on the field.

And if St. Rita has a potential, legitimate Player of the Year Candidate, it’s RB Nick Herman, violent, fast, a threat to house each touch. Best CCL player not named Elliot. Soph RB, Brandon Johnson looks the part. Herman is the horse but you can’t go an 11-14 game season with their schedule getting 40 touches, you need a compliment and Brandon Johnson could be perfect. Raw, talented, large, fast, accepts contact, if his feet, angles and carrying height improves over time, St. Rita will produce another top flight RB. Toss in what could be St. Rita’s best offensive weapon in since Kaleb Browns Junior year in Walter Jones and like I said, the very young Mustangs could, COULD be explosive.

Sandburg returns many key pieces from last year and will again have the size advantage. This game could go either way. Sandburg with a quality week 0 opponent, have a week experience over the young Mustangs and if I have overrated St. Rita’s talent, then the Eagles will go toe to toe for 4 quarters winning a 22-21 type game. I believe St. Rita will win 21-8 but can see them losing this game also like I said if I have overrated them. Sorry wit that it took so long to respond. Have a great week
Great stuff, as always!

Bump. Does anyone know? Thanks.
I have an open question out there to the powers that be. I saw some testing of equipment in the afternoon. My gut says yes, there will be a presentation of the game on YouTube, there won’t be a production.

Please clip and save for every south side Catholic secondary education provider:

South Side 8th grade parents will Google 3 things non stop from September to December:
catholic high school name tuition cost and financial aid and scholarship programs

catholic high school name open house dates

catholic high school name football roster. Now on this one, I don’t care where you keep your official roster because only a few will find it. MaxPreps and their voodoo SEO wins this search every time. I don’t care if you like it or not. Tend the MaxPreps page as if it’s your own program’s platform because by default in the Search Engine Optimization world, it is.

4) I’ve said this before, until the Arch Diocese changes the test date from the first week of December, Football and it’s platform, for better or worse, outweighs any other public facing avenue a South Side school has. And I understand it’s really only a south side phenomenon. This non-equilibrium of departments doesn’t necessarily exist in the DePaul/Loyola, St. Pats/NND, or Naz/Montini/WSF battles for prospective students’ attention but in the South Side environment, it does. You can bury your head in the sand and delude yourself like a certain Headmaster of the recent past and his existing acolytes…

Or face reality and understand another south side phenomenon for 14 weeks in Autumn is winning or surviving the post-Mass conversations. Your HS gets to be 3 things during these word-of-mouth ‘free’ neighborhood commercials: a growing, vibrant HS, neutral: neither slammed or praised, or be the Joke. Avoid being the Joke on Sundays at all costs.

I mention all this because St. Rita is going on year 2 of switching from NFHS network to YouTube and it’s not getting to the class of MC/BR/LA productions despite the few at my alma mater understanding its importance. It has to be a top down focal point from the Administration to the marketing department to the athletic department. Not to mention, these productions not only possibly connect you to your prospective students, keep ammo out of your enemies chambers post-Mass, but also these productions can engage some in your national/global alumni base more than a mailing ever could.

So let the Administration, Admissions and Marketing focus on another mailer that gets tossed out, an upgraded brochure, or some ignored expressway signage because they will not accept the unfair importance of a department’s platform. A platform that is still relevant only because a dozen families and coaches have worked their tails off keeping it a relevant, mainly top 10/20 program in the state the past 60 years. Because in some minds, having to listen to a Football program’s needs would be an admission of defeat instead of an exciting, relatively low-cost opportunity to optimize an institution’s evangelization of its mission.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk on the South Sides Catholic High Schools’ perpetual arms race.

TL/dr: I believe the game will be on YouTube. I will post the link when I get it. It won’t be as good as it could/should be.
Long-winded Rant.
/Fin

I have an open question out there to the powers that be. I saw some testing of equipment in the afternoon. My gut says yes, there will be a presentation of the game on YouTube, there won’t be a production.

Please clip and save for every south side Catholic secondary education provider:

South Side 8th grade parents will Google 3 things non stop from September to December:
catholic high school name tuition cost and financial aid and scholarship programs

catholic high school name football roster. Now on this one, I don’t care where you keep your official roster because only a few will find it. MaxPreps and their voodoo SEO wins this search every time. I don’t care if you like it or not. Tend the MaxPreps page as if it’s your own program’s platform because by default in the Search Engine Optimization world, it is.

4) I’ve said this before, until the Arch Diocese changes the test date from the first week of December, Football and it’s platform, for better or worse, outweighs any other public facing avenue a South Side school has. And I understand it’s really only a south side phenomenon. This non-equilibrium of departments doesn’t necessarily exist in the DePaul/Loyola, St. Pats/NND, or Naz/Montini/WSF battles for prospective students’ attention but in the South Side environment, it does. You can bury your head in the sand and delude yourself like a certain Headmaster of the recent past and his existing acolytes…

Or face reality and understand another south side phenomenon for 14 weeks in Autumn is winning or surviving the post-Mass conversations. Your HS gets to be 3 things during these word-of-mouth ‘free’ neighborhood commercials: a growing, vibrant HS, neutral: neither slammed or praised, or be the Joke. Avoid being the Joke on Sundays at all costs.

I mention all this because St. Rita is going on year 2 of switching from NFHS network to YouTube and it’s not getting to the class of MC/BR/LA productions despite the few at my alma mater understanding its importance. It has to be a top down focal point from the Administration to the marketing department to the athletic department. Not to mention, these productions not only possibly connect you to your prospective students, keep ammo out of your enemies chambers post-Mass, but also these productions can engage some in your national/global alumni base more than a mailing ever could.

So let the Administration, Admissions and Marketing focus on another mailer that gets tossed out, an upgraded brochure, or some ignored expressway signage because they will not accept the unfair importance of a department’s platform. A platform that is still relevant only because a dozen families and coaches have worked their tails off keeping it a relevant, mainly top 10/20 program in the state the past 60 years. Because in some minds, having to listen to a Football program’s needs would be an admission of defeat instead of an exciting, relatively low-cost opportunity to optimize an institution’s evangelization of its mission.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk on the South Sides Catholic High Schools’ perpetual arms race.

TL/dr: I believe the game will be on YouTube. I will post the link when I get it. It won’t be as good as it could/should be.
Long-winded Rant.
/Fin
Ha! "Gold, Jerry, Gold!"

Fans: here is a link for the streaming. RS is correct!

• Love
Reactions: RockSoup

Long-winded Rant.
/Fin
Rock if it makes you feel any better Marist has a 15 Million Dollar Planterium for their one Alum that may actually enter that field, and they purchased an indoor training facility in Crestwood but they still stream their games on NFHS.

• Haha
Tried going on you tube, keeps buffering, shoot some updates!

14-3 Rita I just saw. I’m confident my Sandberg + 36 is going to come in and looks like SR should pull this out so it’s all around this thread

Video was good for just a few minutes. Rita in I-formation with a play-action pass. WR wide open for an easy 50-yard score, but unfortunately ball was overthrown. Great play call.

Still 14 - 3. Video now frozen again.

Video was good for just a few minutes. Rita in I-formation with a play-action pass. WR wide open for an easy 50-yard score, but unfortunately ball was overthrown. Great play call.

Still 14 - 3. Video now frozen again.
I Caught some of the Sophomore game and the stream was fine, the larger crowd and noise must have done something to it

Reactions: Wittymoniker1

Long-winded Rant.
/Fin
Spot on.

• Love
I’ll come back with a fuller recap after I eat my burrito but as far as the production, I leave confident. I know that doesn’t help anyone that had to suffer through a rough watch.

But finally, there’s a moderator in place. They installed their own WiFi solely dedicated to the production and not shared with the stands or press box. Just a ton of effort went into it, a ton of discussions by the right people when they found out they swung and missed.

So hopefully all hands on deck going forward to get it right. @McCaravan said the Soph game went ok so whether it’s a crowd, noise, in hous interference or an amount of an online audience that choked it, I can’t say. And obviously 5x the online crowd should be expected next week so they have their work cut out for them but I’m just happy that the concerns over this issue are finally being addressed with the level of concern I needed to see.

Reactions: McCaravan
I’ll come back with a fuller recap after I eat my burrito but as far as the production, I leave confident. I know that doesn’t help anyone that had to suffer through a rough watch.

But finally, there’s a moderator in place. They installed their own WiFi solely dedicated to the production and not shared with the stands or press box. Just a ton of effort went into it, a ton of discussions by the right people when they found out they swung and missed.

So hopefully all hands on deck going forward to get it right. @McCaravan said the Soph game went ok so whether it’s a crowd, noise, in hous interference or an amount of an online audience that choked it, I can’t say. And obviously 5x the online crowd should be expected next week so they have their work cut out for them but I’m just happy that the concerns over this issue are finally being addressed with the level of concern I needed to see.
Dang Rock! A burrito at midnight?!?!? My reflux wouldn’t allow it! Congrats on the win!

• Love
I’ll come back with a fuller recap after I eat my burrito but as far as the production
What is you fave shop? I remember El Faro down there and a really good one at 63rd and Califorinia.

My current Heavyweight Champion of the World Burrito is up north, Mini Palapita. The place is a dump!!!! But never mess with that grill!!!!!

Las Asada in Des Plaines is a close second.

What is you fave shop? I remember El Faro down there and a really good one at 63rd and Califorinia.

My current Heavyweight Champion of the World Burrito is up north, Mini Palapita. The place is a dump!!!! But never mess with that grill!!!!!

Las Asada in Des Plaines is a close second.
Ok, I guess my recap will turn into favorite burrito joints. Yes el Faro in Burritoville (Argo/Summit area) gets my attention when I’m out west. The one you’re thinking of on 63rd and California is El Gallo on 63rd and Sacramento.

Now we should all know these are burritos the size of your plate. And back at 63rd in between doubles we’d get a couple hours off in between sessions and we’d walk to El Gallo and have Burrito eating contests, yes multiple. So gassers at the end of the second session took on a whole new meaning. But those days have properly prepared me for nights like tonight. Now let me concentrate on my recap😂

Quick and dirty Rock Recap:

1st half: 3-0 Sandburg. St. Rita D looking fine. D Line playing extremely stout considering it was a question mark.

Coach Standring does it again. Not always the finest day when your punter is the player of the game but hats off to sr. Matt Grzyb for consistently flipping the field when the offense was trying to jam a square peg in a round hole. Did it all game with his kickoffs and punts, making Sandburg go the whole field for scores.

2nd half offense different story with just a great halftime adjustment, smacking the edges with WR screens, Half back sweeps, jet sweeps, basically saying we’re going to let the 7 v 7 middle of field players play rock’em sock’em robots and let our 4 athletes beat your 4 protecting the perimeter.

On the pass for a TD, not the best pass (Armbruster made plenty of fine passes) but that one was 1 v 1 and Armbruster trusted Davis to win and win he did, coming back to it and fighting off the defender for the TD catch.

If you have read my novellas long enough you know I love breaking a game away from an 11 on 11 match or interior 7v7 game if it’s not working to a 2v2, 1v1 contest. And the St. Rita O put up 27 points in 18 minutes doing that after being held to 0 after the first 24. Herman looked beautiful in space running over DBs half his size and running past the players his size as he ran to green. Trying to get his totals for the game.

Loved seeing the Coaches making the Soph RB earn his first varsity TD. Forcing his pad level down and seeing if he had “it” to get his team past the goaline. And the young man did have it in him to not be denied. That’s your endzone young man. Way to take it.

The other MVP could be the Sandburg K. I mean get this kicker on an NFL team if they still do onside kicks or sign him to P5 NIL deal. 3 perfect second bounce onside kicks. It was incredible to see.

Some fans upset the young Mustangs lost a 27-3 lead late but I didn’t care. Get the W, get out healthy, fix stuff, get ready for Week 2.

Dang Rock! A burrito at midnight?!?!? My reflux wouldn’t allow it! Congrats on the win!
63rd and Sacramento, my friend. The best! I am not Rock, but thank you for the "congrats." It looks as though The Beast is the real thing. When was the last time MS lost by double digits? Good experience, though. Now, you know what you're against.

El Gallo on 63rd and Sacramento - that is the place.

My first place in Chicago was at 63rd and Kedzie - an apartment above the Becvar Funeral Home. Played lots of golf at Marquette Park that spring!
I didn't see your post about the burrito place. Nicely done, Crusader! I lived around 61st and St. Louis. Played Marquette Park over a thousand times, it seems. Not sure if you ever went to Maravilla's on 63rd and St. Louis--right next door to the police stations. Letticia left 63rd and Sacramento and opened up her own at Maravilla. Good stuff!

• Love
Quick and dirty Rock Recap:

1st half: 3-0 Sandburg. St. Rita D looking fine. D Line playing extremely stout considering it was a question mark.

Coach Standring does it again. Not always the finest day when your punter is the player of the game but hats off to sr. Matt Grzyb for consistently flipping the field when the offense was trying to jam a square peg in a round hole. Did it all game with his kickoffs and punts, making Sandburg go the whole field for scores.

2nd half offense different story with just a great halftime adjustment, smacking the edges with WR screens, Half back sweeps, jet sweeps, basically saying we’re going to let the 7 v 7 middle of field players play rock’em sock’em robots and let our 4 athletes beat your 4 protecting the perimeter.

On the pass for a TD, not the best pass (Armbruster made plenty of fine passes) but that one was 1 v 1 and Armbruster trusted Davis to win and win he did, coming back to it and fighting off the defender for the TD catch.

If you have read my novellas long enough you know I love breaking a game away from an 11 on 11 match or interior 7v7 game if it’s not working to a 2v2, 1v1 contest. And the St. Rita O put up 27 points in 18 minutes doing that after being held to 0 after the first 24. Herman looked beautiful in space running over DBs half his size and running past the players his size as he ran to green. Trying to get his totals for the game.

Loved seeing the Coaches making the Soph RB earn his first varsity TD. Forcing his pad level down and seeing if he had “it” to get his team past the goaline. And the young man did have it in him to not be denied. That’s your endzone young man. Way to take it.

The other MVP could be the Sandburg K. I mean get this kicker on an NFL team if they still do onside kicks or sign him to P5 NIL deal. 3 perfect second bounce onside kicks. It was incredible to see.

Some fans upset the young Mustangs lost a 27-3 lead late but I didn’t care. Get the W, get out healthy, fix stuff, get ready for Week 2.
Rock,

You know if some of the subs were playing defense with a 27 - 3 lead? From the "few" plays that I witnessed, it does look as though SR will stop the run better than she did last year--so that is a plus.

Sandburg is huge upfront just like MC will be huge upfront. Good test, imo.

63rd and Sacramento, my friend. The best! I am not Rock, but thank you for the "congrats." It looks as though The Beast is the real thing. When was the last time MS lost by double digits? Good experience, though. Now, you know what you're against.
For me it was not about losing, it was the way we lost. We lacked effort, conditioning and execution. Very disappointed. Fortunately it’s a long season and the coaches will figure it out.

I didn't see your post about the burrito place. Nicely done, Crusader! I lived around 61st and St. Louis. Played Marquette Park over a thousand times, it seems. Not sure if you ever went to Maravilla's on 63rd and St. Louis--right next door to the police stations. Letticia left 63rd and Sacramento and opened up her own at Maravilla. Good stuff!
I have been to the one by the police station too. I lived there for six months in 1997 until I locked in employment. If we ate out, it was burritos or pizza.

Rock,

You know if some of the subs were playing defense with a 27 - 3 lead? From the "few" plays that I witnessed, it does look as though SR will stop the run better than she did last year--so that is a plus.

Sandburg is huge upfront just like MC will be huge upfront. Good test, imo.
Yes. Subs went in up 3 scores. No biggie. Kings and JBuck crampin up. Week 2 big game. Crazy part was the incredible onside kick ability.

You mentioned stopping the run. Yes D Line held the line. Cormac Lacy, good sized young man that didn’t play last year, can become a stud. Good size, good motor. Played well. JBuck, Kings, Owen Lynch played fast, flying around doing their thing. Sloppy team tackling in first half, much better tackling second half. Better tackle for 4 quarters next week.

Other notes to put a bow on the week:

Long snapper Bubacz was on point for punts and XPs.

Herman ended up with 107 yds and 2 TDS on the ground. Also caught a couple of passes out of the backfield.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT