ADVERTISEMENT

Trestman Staying Put?

Wittymoniker1

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2007
La Grange Park, IL
I just have a horrible feeling that Emery will not fire this guy. I think Emery's job is safe; I just have a bad feeling that creepy, hold-no-one-accountable Tresty will get another chance.

All should go, as I see it. Phillips could stay, but only as the accountant.

after the rumors surfaced this past week about them looking for a football czar, i don't see how Emery lasts. To boot, Treaster was HIS guy.

Treaster is the most incompetent coaching hire in Chicago over the last three decades.

This is one time where I find myself not really knowing what they will do. On one hand it's obvious this team has regressed under the current coaching staff and GM. On the other, Trestman has two years to go on his contract. When was the last time they fired a coach with two years to go? Maybe it has happened, I just don't know.

The Bears haven't done all that great in the past few drafts with the exception of Alshon Jeffery who has been a pro bowler Kyle Long who has been a pro bowler and Kyle Fuller last year. Not awful either though. They did give up two first round picks for Cutler and a 5th as well. They have guys who have been out there playing like Jon Bostic and Shea McClellin. But they have wasted picks on Cote and Major Wright, who isn't even with the team anymore.

I think this is the way this will likely play out.

Trestman and his staff are launched. All of 'em.

Emery will be brought back, but in a reduced role. I think they will hire a football guy as a team president - Director of Football Opps. Keep Emery as a scout or personnel guy etc.

This eliminates Ted Phillips from the football decision making duties and makes him the finance guy which he has done well with.

If this is the plan they come up with, expect to hear the names like Polian, Holmgren, etc. Head coaching-wise, I would be curious to see who is on their short list.

Doubt very seriously that Harbaugh is their guy. I would expect another hot assistant perhaps Bowles, etc. Either way, I am staying near the radio Monday. Hopefully they take a rebuild it attitude because this is bad.

They're not going to bring in a head football guy at Pres and have them keep Emery around in a reduced role. That's crazy.

Newt,

+100. Bears should do exactly how you laid it out.

Upon further inspection, SIUcubfan's point about the "higher ups" putting their foot down on this foolishment should prevail here.

Cutler stays for another year, although I am not a fan. Bad QB free agents and weak draft will force Bears to retain Cutler.

I know fire and passion gets a bad wrap sometimes, but I would love to see a coach who can show some it when needed.

Newt:

One thing Monday is going to tell you. You are going to know if the Bears are serious at all about winning. If ever there was a time to get rid of all the coaches and bring in a head guy with experience, this is it. If they don't bring in an experienced guy now as head coach, they never will.

For some reason I am not as optimistic as you are with some of the names you suggest. Those guys cost money. The Bears have never been an organization at the top in paying management. I don't know why they are going to change now although they should.

I agree that Cutler stays for the exact reason you say.

With all that said I think the Bears are really not all that far away from being a good team. A few tweaks here and there and a new experienced coaching staff, a good offensive plan, a defense that is run better than it is now and things can turn around sooner than people think. That may sound like a lot to people, but it all can be accomplished in a surprisingly short period of time.

Originally posted by corey90:
Really 9 points? MN scores 13 and we can't win this game.
Where's the offense? Pathetic!
At this point who gives a flying F? The best part of this season is that it is over. Hopefully tomorrow brings changes.

I honestly hope you guys weren't wasting your time watching that nonsense. I was flipping between red zone and the Chargers Chiefs game. Wanted to see how the AFC playoff picture was playing out.

I am watching the GB, Detroit game now with an occasional spin to red zone. I have a feeling Green Bay is going to pound Detroit. I can't watch Atlanta and Carolina. Two crappy teams regardless of which one wins the division.

This post was edited on 12/28 3:53 PM by Dr. Mirakle

Originally posted by DeanOfSelection:
Carolina sadly wins round 1 next week
And this is exactly what's wrong with the NFL playoff system. Not only does Carolina, with 7 frickin' wins, make the playoffs, they get a home game! What BS.

Here is the list of teams that won more games than Carolina and are NOT going to the playoffs:

1. Buffalo - 9 wins
2. Miami - 8 wins
3. Houston - 9 wins
4. Kansas City - 9 wins
5. San Diego - 9 wins
6. Philadelphia - 10 wins
7. Dan Francisco - 8 wins

All four wild card teams won more games and have to go on the road and Arizona and Detroit both won four more games.

The NFL needs to get rid of Tampa Bay and Jacksonville. Those organizations are a joke. Then you would have 30 teams, 15 in each conference. You could then have three divisions like they used to. You could play the same old format. Eight division games. Two conference games with each other division in your conference and four others in the other conference within one division. That worked well.

This is the second time in the last five seasons this crap has happened. It wasn't happening when you only had three divisions. The Carolina Panthers have no business being in the playoffs, just like the Seattle Seahawks didn't belong in the 2010 playoffs.

the NFL is going to be expanding the playoffs soon as well and more then likely going to 18 games. at that point im done completely. im just a casual fan now.

We all know there's only one guy who can right this ship:

8-abe_gibron.jpg

I want John Shoop, Cade McNown and Curtis Enis back
This post was edited on 12/29 11:08 AM by DeanOfSelection

Originally posted by DeanOfSelection:

I want John Shoop, Cade McNown and Curtis Enis back

This post was edited on 12/29 11:08 AM by DeanOfSelection
laugh.r191677.gif

We can turn this into some fun. I was surprised the Bears could afford to feed Abe Gibron.

Good call on those "three stooges" DOS.

how bout when they traded a first round pick for Mirer and then drafted Todd Saurbrun in round 2

how about when Alonzo Spellman had a breakdown and was walking naked in the snow in barrington or something

ramblin,

I think that's John Huarte and Bob Parsons.

Of that group, guess which guy made the Pro-Bowl four times.

The Bears are getting to the point that Tampa
& Jacksonville are not much worse. Heck Tampa
Won a SB atleast. Bears haven't won one since! Well
You know.

How in the world do u pick a guy in Canadian football over the reigning COY . total incomptetence

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT