ADVERTISEMENT

Toriano Pride - STL-AREA DPOY

Crusader or Flyer do you know where I can find a list of current ESTL players playing at the Division 1 level?

STL-AREA DPOY
Pride relishes winning his matchups play after play, game after game. Nothing is more satisfying to him than shutting down a hot-shot receiver who’s not used to being put on an island.

“My favorite part is making them feel like they’re not as good as they think they are,” Pride said. “I want to make them question if they’re good at receiver. I live for games like that.”

“Other than football I’m a real nice guy,” Pride said with a laugh.

Reactions: flyerforlife
"People always ask me when I recruit, you know, what's your typical corner? Toriano Pride," cornerbacks coach Mike Reed said after Clemson's practice on Monday. "As far as size, speed, strength, physicality, he has it. I mean if you look at him on the practice field. He is legitimately what you want. He’s the reason I went to St. Louis to get a corner.”

“Nobody redshirts as a corner,” Reed said. “My guys come in and they play.”

It's by design – almost necessity – to have them ready to be on the field right away, perhaps as early as the Sept. 5 season opener at Georgia Tech.

Local 5-star early enrollee Jaedyn Lukus and Pride are being counted on not only to play meaningful snaps but crucial roles in the defense. “Man, those two midyear guys, they’re special,” Clemson defensive coordinator Wes Goodwin said. “They’re well beyond their years. They both have bright futures."

Senior CB Sheridan Jones, who has been stuck behind two All-ACC players and finally has his chance to take the lead, is impressed with the youngsters.

“We’ve got some great DBs coming in,” Jones said. “Toriano is real physical, a technician. He could definitely help early.”

CLEMSON, S.C. — Clemson held its second scrimmage of the spring Wednesday before it hosts its annual Orange and White Spring Game on April 9 at Memorial Stadium.

It was the defense that owned the day as Nate Wiggins and Toriano Pride picked off passes on the first two drives of the scrimmage and returned them both for touchdowns, setting the tone for the afternoon inside Death Valley.

“They got their hands on the ball,” Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said afterwards. “We have not really intercepted the ball really all spring. We had some takeaways on some turnovers, but today they had two picks and that was really good to see.

“I thought they set the tone early in our first open field.”

Reactions: LHSTigers94

The stars of the secondary on Saturday were the two freshmen – safety Sherrod Covil and cornerback Toriano Pride. Pride tied for a game-high seven tackles and had two tackles for loss. In both instances, while wearing the No. 23, he blew up screen plays, much like NFL-bound Andrew Booth did when he was wearing the No. 23 jersey.

The stars of the secondary on Saturday were the two freshmen – safety Sherrod Covil and cornerback Toriano Pride. Pride tied for a game-high seven tackles and had two tackles for loss. In both instances, while wearing the No. 23, he blew up screen plays, much like NFL-bound Andrew Booth did when he was wearing the No. 23 jersey.
Is there a Clemson connection or he just wanted to go somewhere warm?

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Toriano Pride was pressed into a start this last weekend and he looked really damned good!

Toriano Pride Jr. was ready for his moment.

Pride played a key role in Clemson's 17-12 win over Wake Forest on Saturday, recording seven tackles, second-most on the team.

He led the team with a career-high six solo tackles. He also had a tackle for loss and a team-best three pass breakups, tying his career best.

"Toriano literally didn't know he was going to have to go play like that until we walked into the locker room," Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said. "Really proud of him and how he stepped up."

In last year’s Wake Forrest matchup during which Clemson surrendered 45 points and 447 yards of offense, the Pride faced some of his toughest challenges as a freshman. According to PFF, he allowed three catches for 35 yards and a touchdown over four targets. It was a day Pride wasn’t very proud of, and he was thrust into the position at an early time.

“I just remember, that game was crazy. From start to finish, that game was crazy. I got a lot of snaps…as a freshman, I think that was the most, I was playing a lot. I didn’t expect to play a lot that game, so it was just fast. Super fast, that’s all I can really say,” Pride said.

Yes, there were injuries last year. One correction - one of the two CBs is 5th year, the other is a RS junior.

As a freshman in 2022, Pride saw the field a great deal, earning extremely valuable playing time. He played 333 snaps over 14 games, making two starts. His freshman counterpart got 80 snaps.

He is transferring after being leapfrogged by a true freshman, which may be related to a missed open-field tackle that went for 77 yards and proved to be the difference in a 24-17 loss against north Carolina.

Mizzou has to be considered the leader. Hopefully he looks at Champaign. Witherspoon’s draft position and NFL play could be an influence. Both programs have Flyers.
Witherspoon's DC is the HC at Purdue now though

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT