ADVERTISEMENT

Top Rated QB's this Opening Weekend?!?

Relist8

Aug 20, 2016
JJ was the top QB in Illinois coming into this season and had 4 INT's tonight. Crystal Lake Central's Senior QB led the State in passing yards last year and was featured as a Top 5 player in the Fox Valley coming into this Season. Through one game THEY HAVE 10 INT's, a fumble. and 2 LOSSES between them.
Antioch's Athan Kaliakmanis could only generate 7 points in a 10-7 loss to Lake Forest and Naperville Central's Sam Jackson put up 6 points in a 14-6 loss to HC. Is this just a blip on the screen, the year of Defense or simply are we over-hyping the QB position in High School football? Interesting week!

Reactions: bhawks
JJ is still the top. Athan looked like he got hurt, I hope he’s ok. Name your guy. I’m not sure who he is but I’m sure I’m not the only one who’d like to follow his progress.
JJ was the top QB in Illinois coming into this season and had 4 INT's tonight. Crystal Lake Central's Senior QB led the State in passing yards last year and was featured as a Top 5 player in the Fox Valley coming into this Season. Through one game THEY HAVE 10 INT's, a fumble. and 2 LOSSES between them.
Antioch's Athan Kaliakmanis could only generate 7 points in a 10-7 loss to Lake Forest and Naperville Central's Sam Jackson put up 6 points in a 14-6 loss to HC. Is this just a blip on the screen, the year of Defense or simply are we over-hyping the QB position in High School football? Interesting week!

Athan (Antioch) commented that he’s fine and will be playing this weekend. I do not have a QB that I am promoting or follow....just a Team guy that loves Defense and can’t believe how this past offseason has been all about these QB early commits. Tough week 1 for all involved.

Reactions: Gene K. and eireog
Seemed like you were leading into someone who’s been overlooked. Who’s the CLC QB?

I’m excited about what Anthony Sayles can do this year. I know everyone says basketball is his game but he’s got some exceptional skills as a QB.

Reactions: ESCC fan
I would like to JJ on West Chicago let's see how great he is.

He made all the throws. A drop in the end zone hurt - would have tightened the game even more. Some sideline drops and a receiver separated from the ball more than once - not his fault.

The point it, the QB got the ball where it needed to be when it needed to be there. And he was harassed all day.

His team got its ass kicked - that is not on him alone.

Reactions: Relist8 and Gene K.
Not the top rated QB but somebody to keep an eye on is the junior Brian Johnson at SR. Pretty mobile kid who lowered his shoulder into JCA LBs a couple times and threw the ball well. Two D1 playmakers next to him for two years and their above average OL will definitely help too!

I’m excited about what Anthony Sayles can do this year. I know everyone says basketball is his game but he’s got some exceptional skills as a QB.

A friend of mine coaches at Evanston but knows Sayles from coaching him in youth football. He told me recently that Ant said he is leaning football in college right now.

Reactions: eireog
I watched the game and I thought JJ was a little off on his flat passes and did not look to have any pep in his step.

Antioch junior QB Athan Kaliakmanis (verbally committed to Minnesota) produced zero points, not seven in 10-7 loss to Lake Forest. The Sequoits' TD was on a defensive scoop and score. Antioch QB had a fumble lost, two picks, and according to the Daily Herald, was 10-for-17 passing for 117 yards. Game was on live TV Friday night and he looked hapless against the Lake Forest rush.
Also, the Lake Forest defensive line is anchored by No. 99, who I believe is HIGHLY regarded and verbally committed to Notre Dame. The kid was a dominant player against Antioch.
This likely was Antioch's toughest game of the year and offensively, they failed the test. Still, they are likely to go 8-1 overall.
According to the IHSA, starting in the fall of 2021, it's possible/likely that Lake Forest and Antioch will be in the same district. But for this year and next, the Sequoits should dominate their Northern Lake County Conference.
And as an aside, Antioch's coaching staff includes longtime Carmel coach Andy Bitta and highly successful former Lake Zurich coach Dave Profitt. Antioch coach Brian Glashnagel cut his coaching teeth as an assistant at Carmel under Bitta.
And yes, it's fascinating to see how Glashnagel has adapted to his personnel. Coming from Carmel, when he started at Antioch, his teams virtually never threw the ball. It was run/run/run (first down), run/run/run (first down), etc. And he was very successful. Now that he has a legit college-calibre QB, the offense has totally opened up. Gotta give the coach credit for adapting to his personnel rather than making the personnel adapt to his agenda.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT