ADVERTISEMENT

Top IHSA Football Teams to Watch in 2023?

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Already looking ahead to 2023 today.....who are some teams that played a ton of younger guys in 2022 etc team who have a chance to step up next fall?

A few to consider?

East St. Louis- will graduate a ton and a half of offensive linemen but welcome back nearly it's entire offensive skills group and 8 starters back on defense.

Nazareth Academy still have a TON of underclassmen names back for 2023 and started 9 sophomores this season.

Prairie Ridge.....no one seems to mention they welcome back like 12 starters for next season

LW East- 10 starters back including 6 on defense

Mount Carmel - will have 8 starters back and a roster still loaded with underclassmen talent.

Providence Catholic- 11 starters back several on the defense

IC Catholic Prep- 12 starters back including 7 back on offense and mostly in the offensive skills.

Palatine- Another team with some serious impact underclassmen returning in 2023

Morgan Park- The Mustangs will also bring back several key impact players for 2023

By my count, Rochester returns 11 starters (6 defense/5 offense). Also, this was a small senior class, so a lot of kids who didn’t start but contributed will be back as well.

Reactions: net-se and Gene K.
By my count, Rochester returns 11 starters (6 defense/5 offense). Also, this was a small senior class, so a lot of kids who didn’t start but contributed will be back as well.
Having Parker Gillespie back is a nice place to start.
Another huge advantage for the Rockets is the fact that all the returners have an additional 4 weeks of practice under their belts. That is almost half of a regular season. Can't help but benefit the underclassmen.

On the other side of the ledger, the SHG Cyclones are losing as many starters to graduation as any team in the state!! The five additional weeks of practice may give the underclassmen a significant leg up, but that won't be known until 2023.

MC has 8 returning starters but have about 6 or 7 more players that got more then significant playing time or occasional spot starts. Dupree, Manning, Taylor and Gilliam are great weapons for Jack Elliott to have to start with as the new starter.

Already looking ahead to 2023 today.....who are some teams that played a ton of younger guys in 2022 etc team who have a chance to step up next fall?

A few to consider?

East St. Louis- will graduate a ton and a half of offensive linemen but welcome back nearly it's entire offensive skills group and 8 starters back on defense.

Nazareth Academy still have a TON of underclassmen names back for 2023 and started 9 sophomores this season.

Prairie Ridge.....no one seems to mention they welcome back like 12 starters for next season

Mount Carmel - will have 8 starters back and a roster still loaded with underclassmen talent.

IC Catholic Prep- 12 starters back including 7 back on offense and mostly in the offensive skills.

Morgan Park- The Mustangs will also bring back several key impact players for 2023
Morgan Park will be returning 17 starters… 7 who were sophomores

Many of these underclassmen are excellent ball players. I wonder how many will think that maybe IMG is the way to go in that several Illinois players have already made their way down to Florida.

Another huge advantage for the Rockets is the fact that all the returners have an additional 4 weeks of practice under their belts. That is almost half of a regular season. Can't help but benefit the underclassmen.

On the other side of the ledger, the SHG Cyclones are losing as many starters to graduation as any team in the state!! The five additional weeks of practice may give the underclassmen a significant leg up, but that won't be known until 2023.
This is true bit most of their kids that will be in the running for starting positions played alot because of blowouts this year. I would guess SHG will be picked 3 in conf behind Richester and chatham

All.... Opening up on the road against 7A Normal Community won't be easy by any stretch. (LFF23) Ratsy

Last edited:
Has anyone figured out early graduation yet? At least one on the roster will be departing because the schools pursuing him will want him for Spring practice his senior year. This is what all top programs will demand going forward especially with COVID short rosters and the advantages of getting playmakers in for Spring semester, practice, and the weight room. Tell the admin to stop being pigheaded about 1 semester of tuition…it will pay dividends.
It can be done and was recently done by the outstanding student/athlete Kaden Cobb from Fenwick. I believe he was the first to ever do it from a private school. He had a plan in place since his freshman year, so it's going to be a hard sell if you are trying put the wheels in motion your junior year....

no university interested in high academics would request a player to graduate early, full stop.

Some academic prodigies graduate from college at 10 or 12 years old. Unfortunately, most of them do not go on to greater and greater achievements.

A few to consider?

York Dukes

Reactions: Ling22
The 2024’s at York are 26-1-1. Returning multiple starters on both sides of the ball and a whole bunch of talent that had to wait their turn. QB is legit with a big arm.

Reactions: strong45
It can be done and was recently done by the outstanding student/athlete Kaden Cobb from Fenwick. I believe he was the first to ever do it from a private school. He had a plan in place since his freshman year, so it's going to be a hard sell if you are trying put the wheels in motion your junior year....
Chaka, you're close to the situation at Rita. At this time, what's your take on the Mustangs?

Stud RB coming back w another solid one. QB will have experience but he may be challenged by the sophomore QB. Although losing O-line, I think they will have a good group coming up.

I’m confused is this thread about the top teams in 2023 or about Catholic schools not letting kids graduate early?

Reactions: Schwab54
In the DuKane I would keep an eye on Geneva they got a ton a really talented younger kids playing time this year and are definitely getting closer to becoming a factor in the playoffs.

Chaka, you're close to the situation at Rita. At this time, what's your take on the Mustangs?

Stud RB coming back w another solid one. QB will have experience but he may be challenged by the sophomore QB. Although losing O-line, I think they will have a good group coming up.
Hey Witty,
On paper offensively there will be DJ, Middleton, & Jett(qb). There are some promising skill receivers that should play a key role this upcoming season. Line will be new with the exception of 1 or 2 that saw significant playing time this past season. Defensively, these 4 you will need to watch out for as to having a big season. The younger Kingsbury, Zach Clark, Keyandre White, and Raymond Saffold. These 8-9 returning starters along with the underclassmen, the Mustangs should be OK. New coach Hopkins will have them ready to go...

Lyons looks to have about 15 starters back next year, and should be a very tough team again in the WSS

they should petition up to 4 or 5A, they have their ring

IHSA enrollment is 323 which would put them in 2A. They petitioned up to 3A for 2 years last year, so this was the final year of the petition up. Next year they'll have the multiplier which will put them in 3A naturally. It remains to be seen to see if they'll petition up to 4A.

Edit: Their enrollment is up from previous years, so the multiplier could actually put them in 4A naturally.

Last edited:
Hey Witty,
On paper offensively there will be DJ, Middleton, & Jett(qb). There are some promising skill receivers that should play a key role this upcoming season. Line will be new with the exception of 1 or 2 that saw significant playing time this past season. Defensively, these 4 you will need to watch out for as to having a big season. The younger Kingsbury, Zach Clark, Keyandre White, and Raymond Saffold. These 8-9 returning starters along with the underclassmen, the Mustangs should be OK. New coach Hopkins will have them ready to go...
I think the team will get better as the season goes along next year. Hopkins has some talent at the lower levels. They have to get Middleton the ball more in open spaces. A couple of proven OL will be called upon early to set the tone. If they can balance the offense I think DJ's numbers may be even better. The younger Kingsbury is said to maybe the best of the three brothers. Coach Hopkins was a defense guy at Iowa. With the four players mentioned above I'm very interested where he takes the defense to. I see they have Sandburg week one. Week two this past season was BR which they will get in the regular conference schedule. If they can get a good game week two I think the team will get their legs under them. Others have posted SR will have JCA and MC weeks three and four. So coach Hopkins won't have much of a honeymoon. Come post season they should be a force to be reckoned with especially in the early rounds of the playoffs.

MS offense will be loaded. QB who started 7 games, 2 RBs, 3WRs return. Defense returns 1 DL, 1LB, CB and SS. Opening up with the Brook and Warren will not be easy.
Any starting offensive linemen returning for MS? Don’t forget Palatine in week 3. That’s a great non-conference slate.

Hey Witty,
Aside from Johnny Schmitt, I believe the secondary were sophomores and juniors. And they certainly progressed well as the season went on. I also noticed a few underclassmen playing on the D-line throughout the season, gaining some valuable experience: #s 54 (Saffold--as you mentioned) and 59. They played well.

I think the incoming O-line will be solid--some good players coming through--coaches are content.

I think the team will get better as the season goes along next year. Hopkins has some talent at the lower levels. They have to get Middleton the ball more in open spaces. A couple of proven OL will be called upon early to set the tone. If they can balance the offense I think DJ's numbers may be even better. The younger Kingsbury is said to maybe the best of the three brothers. Coach Hopkins was a defense guy at Iowa. With the four players mentioned above I'm very interested where he takes the defense to. I see they have Sandburg week one. Week two this past season was BR which they will get in the regular conference schedule. If they can get a good game week two I think the team will get their legs under them. Others have posted SR will have JCA and MC weeks three and four. So coach Hopkins won't have much of a honeymoon. Come post season they should be a force to be reckoned with especially in the early rounds of the playoffs.
1. I agree about the lower levels. The talent is there for sure.

2. When you type "good game" for Week 2, do you mean an "easier" opponent? I hope so. Potentially, SR can go 0-3 in the Blue, and with JCA? Could you please suggest to those in the know to schedule an easier opponent?

3. Do you think the offense can get to that balance attack, because in order to keep the playoff run going, a team needs to have a passing attack.

Reactions: chakazulu89
1. I agree about the lower levels. The talent is there for sure.

2. When you type "good game" for Week 2, do you mean an "easier" opponent? I hope so. Potentially, SR can go 0-3 in the Blue, and with JCA? Could you please suggest to those in the know to schedule an easier opponent?

3. Do you think the offense can get to that balance attack, because in order to keep the playoff run going, a team needs to have a passing attack.
1. There is a lot off good video with the freshmen on YouTube.

2. For me a good game is a quality opponent not a cream puff. But no, I don't the 2nd game of the year to be the state final either. I don't want to name a team I want to play because I don't want bruise anyone's feelings. JCA, MC, BR, LA are meatgrinder enough. I don't know much about Sandburg. Hopefully we can eke out a win and do the same week two. I hope they are kind to us with the other cross over games.

Opening with the number 1 team in the state (MC) was tough road to start the season this year. Going 1-2 after three weeks also playing the #2 team in the state to open the season lead a lot of people to write off SR. But we still made the semifinals.

3. Had MC been in 8A SR could have been 7A champs. As good as DJ is you just can't keep running the same basic scheme all game long. MC is just too good to do that. Middleton has to get more snaps and not run the same plays all game that DJ did. We need to keep the other teams defenses guessing a little bit. A little better passing attack would actually open up the running game. Kids come, they play, and they graduate. LA and LWE just reload. Going into the season my glass is half full not half empty.

If anyone would listen to my suggestions it would be to leave MC week four, put BR week six and LA week eight. Playing those teams back to back never lets the kids heal up.

Last edited:
Reactions: chakazulu89
Any starting offensive linemen returning for MS? Don’t forget Palatine in week 3. That’s a great non-conference slate.
1 starter returns. Yes I know palatine is loaded. First 3 games will be as tough as any.

How about Wheaton South?
They have talent but it really comes back to the QB? This year their best QB in the Senior class transferred to play for Trent Dilfer and had multiple Power 5 offers and his replacement was lost for the season three days before the first game so they were in trouble before the year started. Next year they return a good amount of really good kids who were great when younger but they need good QB play. I could see them going anywhere from 4-5 to 7-2 depending on how things break in the off season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT