ADVERTISEMENT

Too much respect for Loyola?

USD24

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Joliet
I am well aware of Loyola's playoff history, but would any other team be ranked as high as the Ramblers with a 6-3 record? They have some nice wins, but lack a marquee win. Their best wins are against a 5A team and a Rice team that has struggled down the stretch.I would consider two of their losses to be bad losses. They were pounded by a 4-5 Cleveland St Ignatius team and lost to a 5-4 Marist. They may go on a run in the playoffs, but I don't think their current resume justifies their ranking.

Last edited:
They looked like they had no interest in playing Saturday vs Marist.

Reactions: dweise
I am well aware of Loyola's playoff history, but would any other team be ranked as high as the Ramblers with a 6-3 record? They have some nice wins, but lack a marquee win. Their best wins are against a 5A team and a Rice team that has struggled down the stretch.I would consider two of their losses to be bad losses. They were pounded by a 4-5 Cleveland St Ignatius team and lost to a 5-4 Marist. They may go on a run in the playoffs, but I don't think their current resume justifies their ranking.
Understood. We can agree to disagree and I can see a few different scenarios with Loyola including an early exit...and if that's the case then fine. It won't ruin my life...just a hunch and I've been wrong 2-3 times before.

I see a couple of scenarios with Loyola, they win or they lose. It can't get more cut and dry. Edgy is drinking the kool aid, not a bad route. USD24 has dissected the scores and thinks there might some chinks in the armor. I think a lot of us are interested to see how this thing unfolds really because things aren't looking simple like in most years which could make this an exciting playoff season.

Understood. We can agree to disagree and I can see a few different scenarios with Loyola including an early exit...and if that's the case then fine. It won't ruin my life...just a hunch and I've been wrong 2-3 times before.

Edgy
If they didn’t win last year then I would swear you were crazy but after last year run I wouldn’t vote against LA.

Reactions: Gene K. and Bowie50
They looked like they had no interest in playing Saturday vs Marist.
I’m still trying to figure out why Pemberton only got 7 carries in the first quarter+ and was never seen again. Guessing injury or injury prevention. I doubt Holacek was ok dropping that game, their senior night, and the last before the playoffs.

Last edited:
I’m still trying to figure out why Pemberton only got 7 carries in the first quarter+ and was never seen again. Guessing injury or injury prevention. I doubt Holacek was ok dropping that game, their senior night, and the last before the playoffs.
He appeared to have sustained an injury early in Saturday's game. I do not know what his availability will be in the playoffs, but it will be important if they are to have a successful run. Their offense is not very explosive without him.

He appeared to have sustained an injury early in Saturday's game. I do not know what his availability will be in the playoffs, but it will be important if they are to have a successful run. Their offense is not very explosive without him.
Thanks, and I totally agree.

Who would question the numbers for Loyola or Maine South come playoff time? This is a journey both programs know too well.

Clearly, I would. ;) Their resume and the way they finished the season does not resemble previous years.

Clearly, I would. ;) Their resume and the way they finished the season does not resemble previous years.

I think an argument can be made that, from a rankings perspective, that they have earned the benefit of the doubt. Earning that comes from year after year of deep runs in the playoffs, and last year's amazing run as a 5-4 team. I understand that they haven't looked as sharp as previous Loyola teams, but if you were a glass half full kind of guy, you would point to one of their losses being by a game ending field goal on the road against an MC team that ran the regular season table.

I think an argument can be made that, from a rankings perspective, that they have earned the benefit of the doubt. Earning that comes from year after year of deep runs in the playoffs, and last year's amazing run as a 5-4 team. I understand that they haven't looked as sharp as previous Loyola teams, but if you were a glass half full kind of guy, you would point to one of their losses being by a game ending field goal on the road against an MC team that ran the regular season table.
It’s a ranking/opinion. As a Maine South guy, couldn’t be happier to see the Ramblers in the playoffs even if it’s in the first round. Year after year LA earns the respect come playoff time, and it will be a hell of a game Saturday night!

In my book respect is earned. Coach Holecek and Loyola have earned the respect they get. Down year for them is a remarkable year for most everyone else. Anyone thinks they are down would be fooling themselves.

They were 6-3 last year I think...almost 5-4. Impressive though none the less

Reactions: Bowie50
I don't think anyone is saying they don't respect Loyola, but I do agree with USD in that they should have dropped more. They'll be able to recover by winning in the playoffs.

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
I still have them getting to semi. That pocket they are in though is the most difficult. Just would not count them out.

They won it last year and this year’s media love-fest is from name only. I critiqued them ranked 2 or 3 in 8A a few weeks ago with 2 losses. Plenty of horses in 8A, I dont believe one conference is division 1 compared to everyone else at D-3!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT