ADVERTISEMENT

Today Would have Sucked for Practice!

Announced today by IHSA that the post-season for fall sports that are actually being contested will be limited to a single event regional competition based upon geography. We will see if the same holds true for the other upcoming seasons, assuming they are held.

Announced today by IHSA that the post-season for fall sports that are actually being contested will be limited to a single event regional competition based upon geography. We will see if the same holds true for the other upcoming seasons, assuming they are held.
My guess is they are lining up with Hoops and Football so no one can have a state title game.

The current sports that are being played in the fall right now do not produce enough money for IHSA to run the tournament. Basketball will start the State series. If no State series this year, IHSA will have to shut the doors!

They wont have to shut the doors but they will have to start charging members again.

They will lose a few million. If the IHSA shut down someone else would have to spend millions to do the same thing.

Which is why there will be a State tournament in Basketball and Football.

Practice? We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We ain't talking about the game. We're talking about practice.

The current sports that are being played in the fall right now do not produce enough money for IHSA to run the tournament. Basketball will start the State series. If no State series this year, IHSA will have to shut the doors!

They won’t have a state series. They’ll hold regional tournaments, allow all football teams in, and may make as much money as if they held a state series, since there will be more games to siphon off gate $$$ from. Of course, that’s assuming fans are even allowed.....

They won’t have a state series. They’ll hold regional tournaments, allow all football teams in, and may make as much money as if they held a state series, since there will be more games to siphon off gate $$$ from. Of course, that’s assuming fans are even allowed.....

Attendance is based on playing for a championship. There aren’t a lot of causal fans for football. Have to think business. There isn’t a state series because of the restrictions. They knew that the restrictions wouldn’t be lifted in time therefore they moved certain sports to the spring to allow for a tournament. It’s the only way IHSA survive. You do know Volleyball can be played without any contact other than the ball itself right? It was moved to allow for a chance at a State series.

Attendance is based on playing for a championship. There aren’t a lot of causal fans for football. Have to think business. There isn’t a state series because of the restrictions. They knew that the restrictions wouldn’t be lifted in time therefore they moved certain sports to the spring to allow for a tournament. It’s the only way IHSA survive. You do know Volleyball can be played without any contact other than the ball itself right? It was moved to allow for a chance at a State series.

You wishing it into existence, sadly won't make it happen. And the IHSA revenue for football yearly isn't in the millions, as you stated. But closer to $750,000. And yes, there are a lot of casual fans for football. And if you had 20 Regional championship games across the state that drew 3,000 each, at $10 a ticket....well you do the math. Actually, to be safe, I'll do it for you. That's $600,000.....just for the regional championship games alone. I'm not even counting the gate receipt from the rounds leading up to the championship game.

You wishing it into existence, sadly won't make it happen. And the IHSA revenue for football yearly isn't in the millions, as you stated. But closer to $750,000. And yes, there are a lot of casual fans for football. And if you had 20 Regional championship games across the state that drew 3,000 each, at $10 a ticket....well you do the math. Actually, to be safe, I'll do it for you. That's $600,000.....just for the regional championship games alone. I'm not even counting the gate receipt from the rounds leading up to the championship game.

And look at the possibilities...what if the IHSA somewhat forgets the traditional classes and just lumps regional opponents together who usually don't play each other...the Kankakee Regional with McNamara, Herscher, Manteno, Coal City - do they go small with 3A's Peotone & Wilmington or big with Kankakee & Bradley or wide with Pontiac & Prairie Central (won't they hope for Mac-Herscher round 1, Mac-Manteno round 2)...the I-80 big school regional with LWE, LWC, LWW, Providence, JCA, Joliet Central, Joliet West, Minooka (can you picture Round 1 LWW v. Providence, JCA v. JW, Minooka v. LWC)...

If it becomes a money grab instead of championships, it could be rather interesting...some of those far flung playoff games could become rather lucrative local matchups...

IHSA only gets half of the gate. I am not wishing anything, just facing business facts! My wish was to be football this Friday. I am very disappointed about that. Football revenue is over $900K Basketball tops a million. It’s a reason why they said regional playoff at minimum. No organization has reserves that can pay salaries for Almost two years without issues. I will also add to the fact that football is being played now.

Another fact is a great portion of the state Regional games will be repeat of the 7 games in which fans won’t pay $10 to attend! Definitely not in May with a ton of other stuff unless there is a championship involved.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT