ADVERTISEMENT

Thursday night football

It was what it was. We lost to Loyola....which many outlets had ranked #1 in the State....I saw them no lower then #3 anywhere. There is no shame or reason to panic for losing to a team like that. LA offensive line won the battle in the trenches against our defensive front. We have a Sophmore and 2 juniors on the DL earning their stripes. Last year we had the Lawless winner in Jalen Grant and an All Catholic League Senior in Mario Davis. DL was going to be a rebuild, these guys just need reps.

This senior class is playing without Ben Perry and Tommy Egan this Spring and those are two huge losses from their class defensively and their absence has shown the first two games. Offensively I think they are fine. Justin threw a very uncharacteristic pick 6 against LA but outside of that we moved the ball well. We just had to abandon the power run game with Odeluga when we fell behind by two scores. We got another tough match up with a top ten team in Marist....and we end with another top 10 team in BR...I still think we have a great shot to go 5-1.
I'm not sure they got pushed around...they put up a helluva battle all game...I don't think MC had any DL starters from last year and Loyola had one OL starter, but they are all seniors...the RB #21 from Loyola was the biggest difference...was a match-up problem everywhere....Lynch is fun to watch...can both play and think the game...I know it got chippy a couple of times but you could see there was a lot of mutual respect...two great programs and two very good teams.

Well hearing that they cancelled Graduation an hour before and a football game hours before out of caution. AND the fact that StL is on twitter looking for a game I think its coming from the BA side.
We were told that StL will not play Benet because they had 2 cases in the last few weeks. Either you don't know or can't confirm this is not true, Unless you have direct knowledge of something contradicting this than I guess we know what happened and only people being hurt is the players

Stop making sense
Except for the direct
Laurence just tweeted that they are looking for a game this week so must not be on their end
Except for Benet players being told that StL won't play them because they had 2 cases in the last few weeks and all the tweets they never say why they are looking for a game when the scheduled team was getting ready for practice on Monday then two hours before practice they are told it is cancelled. If StL deserves a full schedule as per Nissen on twitter I would assume he would feel the same for all players in Illinois which includes all the players at Benet that have been following protocols.

Except for the direct

Except for Benet players being told that StL won't play them because they had 2 cases in the last few weeks and all the tweets they never say why they are looking for a game when the scheduled team was getting ready for practice on Monday then two hours before practice they are told it is cancelled. If StL deserves a full schedule as per Nissen on twitter I would assume he would feel the same for all players in Illinois which includes all the players at Benet that have been following protocols.
How come not once have I seen anywhere that Benet was looking for a game.

How come not once have I seen anywhere that Benet was looking for a game.
I totally understand, maybe they actually used the phone instead of pleading on twitter. I have no problem with the pause for Benet and StL looking for another game, if Benet was being told they needed to do this by the Health Department, but from what players and parents were told this is not the case. If it was the case then parents and players were being told misinformation and we can't go to the administration with theories and speculation to address a lack of honest communication without something solid to back up our position. So if you have communication that StL did NOT refuse to play Benet and they were told Benet could not play then please let me know.

I totally get the shut down for covid so that not my issue, I'm trying to figure out if the players are being fed a bunch of BS, because the players are still at the 2 cases from 3/19.

I totally understand, maybe they actually used the phone instead of pleading on twitter. I have no problem with the pause for Benet and StL looking for another game, if Benet was being told they needed to do this by the Health Department, but from what players and parents were told this is not the case. If it was the case then parents and players were being told misinformation and we can't go to the administration with theories and speculation to address a lack of honest communication without something solid to back up our position. So if you have communication that StL did NOT refuse to play Benet and they were told Benet could not play then please let me know.

I totally get the shut down for covid so that not my issue, I'm trying to figure out if the players are being fed a bunch of BS, because the players are still at the 2 cases from 3/19.
Just ask the coach on twitter he will let you know I'm sure. Also going to Twitter looking for a game gets the word out 100x better than picking up the phone.

200.gif

Well hearing that they cancelled Graduation an hour before and a football game hours before out of caution. AND the fact that StL is on twitter looking for a game I think its coming from the BA side.

No shock from the cake eaters in Lisle. :rolleyes:

Reactions: IgorStL
They’re definitely not.
I never thought StL was ducking Benet either, things never smelled right in what was being told to players earlier this week and I just wanted some more info if I was going to talk to the Administration. Sounds like Benet/Loyola will be cancelled as well. They are pausing practice until next week because of Covid so they are worried about physical injuries due to lack of preparation time, before playing next Saturday. Really don't have any other information as my son has been quarantined since 3/19 for being a few inches away from being outside of 6' distancing and two rows behind a positive case on the bus trip to St. Ignatius and has not been around the program for two weeks now despite a negative test. So may be looking at just shutting him down, hard to imagine playing St. Rita and Naz without practicing for 3 straight weeks.

Reactions: Gene K.
I never thought StL was ducking Benet either, things never smelled right in what was being told to players earlier this week and I just wanted some more info if I was going to talk to the Administration. Sounds like Benet/Loyola will be cancelled as well. They are pausing practice until next week because of Covid so they are worried about physical injuries due to lack of preparation time, before playing next Saturday. Really don't have any other information as my son has been quarantined since 3/19 for being a few inches away from being outside of 6' distancing and two rows behind a positive case on the bus trip to St. Ignatius and has not been around the program for two weeks now despite a negative test. So may be looking at just shutting him down, hard to imagine playing St. Rita and Naz without practicing for 3 straight weeks.
So Benet was just lying to it’s players/families?

And now ducking Loyola?
That's classy, I don't know the person that ever said that about StL but were wrong in saying that, as well. I know for a fact that none of the players wished for this and would play Loyola still even knowing what the outcome would be (we all do). I have a kid that is being told to quarantine from school and the team for 21 days now just because he is on the varsity team and has a negative covid taken a week after the last time he was with his team. If you have a son playing I would never wish this to happen to him. It is horrible and they are they only ones paying the price.

Reactions: Gene K.
I honestly don't know and that is my issue. All I know is I never said StL was ducking anyone and never believed that. Just was reporting what we were being told.
From everything you’ve said here it seems pretty cut and dry and that’s incredibly disappointing because as you said the kids are the ones losing here.

From everything you’ve said here it seems pretty cut and dry and that’s incredibly disappointing because as you said the kids are the ones losing here.
Yes, It extremely frustrating and I feel for the other teams as they will ultimately be left without a game if this goes the way it feels like it is heading. It will be a thin roster if the spring sport athletes just say forget about football and move on to the spring sports starting next week, since they have now lost half of the season.

I have a kid that is being told to quarantine from school and the team for 21 days now just because he is on the varsity team and has a negative covid taken a week after the last time he was with his team.
Something doesn't add up. No quarentine period ever had been 21 days. And Benet is on Spring Break so the time between the cancelled game and school resuming is 12 days. Benets main website cites IDPH and ISBE which is 14 or 10 days. Someone is lying to you.

I feel awful reading this. Just shows again the rules affecting these kids are out of touch with reality. Again, kids lose in the end.

Something doesn't add up. No quarentine period ever had been 21 days. And Benet is on Spring Break so the time between the cancelled game and school resuming is 12 days. Benets main website cites IDPH and ISBE which is 14 or 10 days. Someone is lying to you.
On a zoom call right now, biggest thing is the different rules that StL was following than Benet was because of different County Health Departments, so StL had more stringent rules than Benet, so totally understand why they could not play today.

My son was lumped into the Varsity Football 14 day quarantine which started last Friday with the DLS cancellation, but he was already quarantined a week before that after the St. Ignatius game because of a positive test of a player in front of him a couple of rows. All this with a negative test on Friday before the DLS game (which he was sitting out that game already before they cancelled). I have not received an answer back from the administration on his particular case, if they stay with the fact he is a varsity football player he is stuck with a 21 quarantine, Hoping they get back to us before next week as he is already at day 14 and we just keep doing what we need too. All varsity players were told on Monday to quarantine during spring break. It sucks he had a great game 10 tackles vs St Ignatius and has not been on the field since 3/19 and is negative for COVID. Its really heartbreaking because this spring and next fall are probably the last time I get to watch him play football after coaching him as a youth and playing college football myself, I am lucky enough that he is going on and committed for college in another sport but football is what is in my heart. It is killing me to see that another 8 games cancelled this week in the Chicagoland because there are so many players and parents that are not as lucky as we are.

Benet was good to go this week and Laurence said they are not able to play on Thursday earlier today.
Incorrect. Benet had a positive test in the program. StL was afraid that either Benet would cancel last minute, or, worse, play us, and then have further spread. There were 2 really bad scenarios that could have come from this. The AD was getting ahead of it.

Incorrect. Benet had a positive test in the program. StL was afraid that either Benet would cancel last minute, or, worse, play us, and then have further spread. There were 2 really bad scenarios that could have come from this. The AD was getting ahead of it.
It was at the right call and I am glad they found a game, the biggest issues is that there is no consistency. There are team out here in the suburbs that still have zero cases and were not allowed to play for two weeks because of a single positive test with their Week 1 opponent. All I wanted was clear communication from the start which we finally received last night than we totally would have understood what StL was doing, following the rules and procedures that they have in place

Reactions: IgorStL and Gene K.
It was at the right call and I am glad they found a game, the biggest issues is that there is no consistency. There are team out here in the suburbs that still have zero cases and were not allowed to play for two weeks because of a single positive test with their Week 1 opponent. All I wanted was clear communication from the start which we finally received last night than we totally would have understood what StL was doing, following the rules and procedures that they have in place
Welcome to covid-19. The only constant is inconsistency of government's response.
Both Nissen and the AD were deathly afraid that, if anything else came from Benet, we'd effectively have to pack it in this year. It sucks for the Benet kids, but the administration has shown it could wet its pants at the 11th hour.

Reactions: IFNIF1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT