ADVERTISEMENT

The way to early 2019 DuKane Thread (updated 7/17)

ClownBaby

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2006
It was a good year for the new conference as 3 teams advanced the the Quarter-finals, 2 teams to the Semi-finals and 1 to the championship game. Along the way in the playoffs league teams notched victories over the champions of the Big 12, MSL East, CCL Green, Western Big 6, West Suburban Gold and the NIC 10 for an overall record of 9-4.

Looking forward to next year the league should take a big step forward since it would appear the bottom half of the league will be much improved. The two favorites next year should be Batavia & WWS with the next two being WN & StN. StE most likely takes a step back but with 16 starters returning from an 0-9 team I wouldn't be surprised to see GBN get to 5 wins and be in the playoffs next year. LP played a lot of underclassmen and Soph QB so they will be better and Geneva I have no clue about other then they were the most improved team from week 1 to 9 this year.

My best guess at 2019
1. Batavia
2. WWS
3. WN
4. STN
5. GBN
6. StE
7. Geneva
9. LP

As for my Tigers of WWS next year should be a good one, this year was a year that could have gone either way but broke for the positive and next year they should be able to build on it. When you look playoffs and what they had on the field they return about 10 starters and contributors not including a freshman that looks like a potential freak. They will be really strong at the skill positions and LB so if they can get any type of line play they should be a top 10 team.

One last comment the DuKane fans showed strongly on this board hopefully they stick around since there is a lot of knowledge out there and make the season a lot more fun.

What are your thoughts?

Pretty solid analysis. I believe Batavia gets much closer to the pack next year. Will most likely not go undefeated. WN had very low numbers in the current Senior class. Only a couple of studs in that bunch. The lower levels, however are very strong. A Frosh QB who will most likely start the next three years surrounded by some speedy backs and receivers. The defense under Coach Cherry has been among the state’s best the last two seasons. Led by one of the best LBs in the state they will be very strong next year as well. It will be a dog fight as usual between North and South.

Reactions: ClownBaby
Pretty solid analysis. I believe Batavia gets much closer to the pack next year. Will most likely not go undefeated. WN had very low numbers in the current Senior class. Only a couple of studs in that bunch. The lower levels, however are very strong. A Frosh QB who will most likely start the next three years surrounded by some speedy backs and receivers. The defense under Coach Cherry has been among the state’s best the last two seasons. Led by one of the best LBs in the state they will be very strong next year as well. It will be a dog fight as usual between North and South.

Wheaton North is on the verge of breaking through and getting to the next level. Next year they will be very good but the two years after that they should be outstanding they are stacking really strong classes together.

How are GBN’s numbers in the lower levels? I called a big down year for them due to the current senior class having small numbers and not being very good (although I did not foresee an 0-9 year:(). Is their junior class (seniors next year) and sophomores (juniors next year) going to reload them?

How are GBN’s numbers in the lower levels? I called a big down year for them due to the current senior class having small numbers and not being very good (although I did not foresee an 0-9 year:(). Is their junior class (seniors next year) and sophomores (juniors next year) going to reload them?

No clue about numbers but next years Sr class was decent as Sophs and they return a decent QB with a super stud WR.

ClownBaby- Who is the super stud frosh from WWS? The TE/WR - b-ball player?

ClownBaby- Who is the super stud frosh from WWS? The TE/WR - b-ball player?

Yes he made a big play against StN 40yard catch. For being 6’4” he looked extremely athletic.

Last edited:
Wanted to see more of North, but the game film I saw showed a nice passing combo. They need to be able to run the ball though or teams like WWS and Batavia will tee off.

1. WWS

2. Batavia
3. SCN
4. GBN
5. WN
6. Geneva
7. LP

8. SCE

My view. WWS is the clear #1 from my perspective and would be in my top 3 or 4 preseason in 7A, right next to Carmel, Flyers, and LWW.

Batavia has a great system and is a clear 2. SCN will be strong with their Brown and a full year to prepare and preseason all-state Furtney at LB. WN, Geneva and GBN will be much better. Lake Park just doesn't have the numbers.

East loses a ton, is down and numbers and will be as much of a dumpster fire as the Success Factor thread. Sorry @markmacaluso

Reactions: ClownBaby
1. WWS

2. Batavia
3. SCN
4. GBN
5. WN
6. Geneva
7. LP

8. SCE

My view. WWS is the clear #1 from my perspective and would be in my top 3 or 4 preseason in 7A, right next to Carmel, Flyers, and LWW.

Batavia has a great system and is a clear 2. SCN will be strong with their Brown and a full year to prepare and preseason all-state Furtney at LB. WN, Geneva and GBN will be much better. Lake Park just doesn't have the numbers.

East loses a ton, is down and numbers and will be as much of a dumpster fire as the Success Factor thread. Sorry @markmacaluso

My son graduates this year and he’s my last one so it won’t be as painful for me but I agree that SCE continues on a downward trajectory. They had pretty low numbers on soph and freshman levels and don’t see them replacing lost seniors with equivalent talent. Not sure I’m willing to put them dead last but in the bottom 3 is a high probability. That program needs a rebuild and new leadership / system. They aren’t anywhere close to CG.

My best guess at 2019 is similar to Clown's
1. Batavia
2. WWS
3. WN
4. GBN
5. STN (Biggest dropoff)
6. Geneva
7. East
9. LP

WWS and Batavia will be pretty close I think, but Batavia will have a good senior group with a great junior group next year.

Shout out to @ClownBaby for making the 2018 Dukane inaugural season that much more fun with his threads and of course the Clown Cup!

Really enjoyed getting to know all the fans of various Dukane teams. Good times gents.

Certain conferences have always dominated this board for years but Edgy has always said the West Suburbs has a very large subscription base that just doesn't post so I was glad the Clown Cup brought some of those posters out since they have a lot of insight and make the board so much better. For selfish reasons I did the Clown Cup since I wanted to talk about the teams I regularly follow not the same teams in every other thread.

My best guess at 2019 is similar to Clown's
1. Batavia
2. WWS
3. WN
4. GBN
5. STN (Biggest dropoff)
6. Geneva
7. East
9. LP

WWS and Batavia will be pretty close I think, but Batavia will have a good senior group with a great junior group next year.

I had no clue where to rank StN since they lose more then any other team in the conference but the few kids they do return were key players. I gave them the benefit of the doubt since they played Downstate and seem to be building something but next year will be a big year them is determining where the program goes.

LP was really confusing to me this year since they had been building good momentum the last few years and many thought they would be the biggest beneficiary of the new conference but they were just bad so I'm no sure what to think of them.

Geneva is interesting to me since when I saw them in week 3 they weren't very good but for a bad team they didn't really make mistakes and beat themselves they just lacked the talent. I really think they extremely well coached with few extra players they could be vastly improved.

I had no clue where to rank StN since they lose more then any other team in the conference but the few kids they do return were key players. I gave them the benefit of the doubt since they played Downstate and seem to be building something but next year will be a big year them is determining where the program goes.

LP was really confusing to me this year since they had been building good momentum the last few years and many thought they would be the biggest beneficiary of the new conference but they were just bad so I'm no sure what to think of them.

Geneva is interesting to me since when I saw them in week 3 they weren't very good but for a bad team they didn't really make mistakes and beat themselves they just lacked the talent. I really think they extremely well coached with few extra players they could be vastly improved.
LP gets bottom of the barrel for me since I think they were most of my incorrect picks this year. That can't go unpunished.

SCN got blown out in some games at the lower levels, not always a great indicator, but after what I saw when Nubin wasn't involved in plays I think there will be a steep dropoff. I would give a more specific example of this, but it will call out certain kids which would not be fair.

SCN has more coming back that you think -- several sophomores were promoted to varsity including Tyler Nubin's young brother who is a bit smaller, but arguably a better athlete. O-Line will be a bit bigger too with some large sophs and freshman.

Soph results were a bit skewed because they had to promote their Soph QB to varsity after the first game of the season. The kid who played wont be a QB at the varsity level.

I expect them to be a more run-focused team next year. Probably 2nd round playoff team. Would be shocked if they won the conference, but even more shocked if they didn't make playoffs.

SCN has more coming back that you think -- several sophomores were promoted to varsity including Tyler Nubin's young brother who is a bit smaller, but arguably a better athlete. O-Line will be a bit bigger too with some large sophs and freshman.

Soph results were a bit skewed because they had to promote their Soph QB to varsity after the first game of the season. The kid who played wont be a QB at the varsity level.

I expect them to be a more run-focused team next year. Probably 2nd round playoff team. Would be shocked if they won the conference, but even more shocked if they didn't make playoffs.

Thanks for coming out Bearded Joe you should stick around.

LP gets bottom of the barrel for me since I think they were most of my incorrect picks this year. That can't go unpunished.

SCN got blown out in some games at the lower levels, not always a great indicator, but after what I saw when Nubin wasn't involved in plays I think there will be a steep dropoff. I would give a more specific example of this, but it will call out certain kids which would not be fair.

i think the biggest problem was SCN didn't have an idenity on offense. If some of their young lineman pan out, they could morph into a power running team. Defensively, i think they will be as good or better and can see them winning a bunch of 17-10 kinda games against the top half of the conference

i think the biggest problem was SCN didn't have an idenity on offense. If some of their young lineman pan out, they could morph into a power running team. Defensively, i think they will be as good or better and can see them winning a bunch of 17-10 kinda games against the top half of the conference
I agree with you. In my example, the linemen were not the problem. I really like their OLB #8. Big kid and plays fast

Certain conferences have always dominated this board for years but Edgy has always said the West Suburbs has a very large subscription base that just doesn't post so I was glad the Clown Cup brought some of those posters out since they have a lot of insight and make the board so much better. For selfish reasons I did the Clown Cup since I wanted to talk about the teams I regularly follow not the same teams in every other thread.

Being a relative newbie on this board, I haven’t known anything but the Clown Cup Era. Kinda like my kids are with smartphones. Therefore, the Clown Cup is on equal footing to the dawn of smartphones from a historical perspective. It’s just simple logic.

I agree with you. In my example, the linemen were not the problem. I really like their OLB #8. Big kid and plays fast

Completely agree. Furtney will play power 5 football. If he played in 6A or 8A, he would have/should have been all-state

Completely agree. Furtney will play power 5 football. If he played in 6A or 8A, he would have/should have been all-state

So my kid played Travel football on same team with Furtney for Tri City back when he was in 5th or 6th grade. You could tell then he was going to be a really good player. Just curious why you mentioned that being in 7A prevented him from getting the recognition he deserves.

I would guess their defense isn’t as good since Nubian was able to stop pretty much every teams number 1 WR and they were able to use the safety to help on the number 2. This is luxury you rarely get at the HS level. He alone made them tough to pass against, they may be stronger against the run next year but won’t be near as good in the back end.

So my kid played Travel football on same team with Furtney for Tri City back when he was in 5th or 6th grade. You could tell then he was going to be a really good player. Just curious why you mentioned that being in 7A prevented him from getting the recognition he deserves.

because arguably the 2 best LB in the state are in 7A. and generally each class only gets 2 LBs.

because arguably the 2 best LB in the state are in 7A. and generally each class only gets 2 LBs.
I understand your thought but that’s not how that stupid team is picked. They had 4 QB’s (none of which as good as JJ but that’s another convo) and 3 OL. It’s just dumb dumb dumb, every year!

I understand your thought but that’s not how that stupid team is picked. They had 4 QB’s (none of which as good as JJ but that’s another convo) and 3 OL. It’s just dumb dumb dumb, every year!

So what role do coaches have on getting their players "on the ballot"? How does this process work?

Once on the ballot they can't vote for their own players right?

And no Alonte Brown!

So after seeing the teams this summer and doing a little research here is how I see the Dukane in 2019

1. WWS
2. Batavia
3. WN
4. SCN
5. GBN
6. Geneva
7. LP
8. StE

WWS/ Batavia is a tough call but Batavia had very underrated passing game last year and it looks like that will take a step back while WWS takes a major step forward on offense. I think this and the fact that WWS will better be able to handle Batavia's size will allow the Tigers to over take them this year.

WN has been pointing towards this year and return a ton of talent.

SCN is tough on to call since they have a lot of kids that played last year but they no longer have Mr. Everything to carry them in close games.

GBN has some talent but going 0-9 last year is never good I think they bounce back but need to split their non-con schedule if they want to sniff the playoffs.

Geneva showed some life last year after a terrible start I think they continue to improve this year.

LP/ StE both look like they will struggle this year.

Non Conference Schedules

Batavia
East St Louis
@ Naperville North

GBN
Neuqua Valley
@ Warren

Geneva
@ Notre Dame
Kaneland

Lake Park
@ Dekalb
Metea Valley

St Charles East

Lemont
Carmel

St Charles North
@ Palatine
Bolingbrook

Wheaton North
@ Downers Grove South
Lake Forest

WWS
@ Metea Valley
@ Lockport

Non Conference Schedules

Batavia
East St Louis
@ Naperville North

GBN
Neuqua Valley
@ Warren

Geneva
@ Notre Dame
Kaneland

Lake Park
@ Dekalb
Metea Valley

St Charles East

Lemont
Carmel

St Charles North
@ Palatine
Bolingbrook

Wheaton North
@ Downers Grove South
Lake Forest

WWS
@ Metea Valley
@ Lockport
Wheaton-Warrenville South is the only team that has a relatively easy non-conference schedule.

Coach Cherry no longer at WN

So after seeing the teams this summer and doing a little research here is how I see the Dukane in 2019

1. WWS
2. Batavia
3. WN
4. SCN
5. GBN
6. Geneva
7. LP
8. StE

WWS/ Batavia is a tough call but Batavia had very underrated passing game last year and it looks like that will take a step back while WWS takes a major step forward on offense. I think this and the fact that WWS will better be able to handle Batavia's size will allow the Tigers to over take them this year.

WN has been pointing towards this year and return a ton of talent.

SCN is tough on to call since they have a lot of kids that played last year but they no longer have Mr. Everything to carry them in close games.

GBN has some talent but going 0-9 last year is never good I think they bounce back but need to split their non-con schedule if they want to sniff the playoffs.

Geneva showed some life last year after a terrible start I think they continue to improve this year.

LP/ StE both look like they will struggle this year.

1. Batavia
2. GBN
3. WWS
4. SCN
5. WN
6. Geneva
7.StE
8. LP

Reactions: BataviaDogs1
1. Batavia
2. STN
3. WWS
4. WN
5. GBN
6. STE
7. LP
8. Geneva

I'm totally impressed with the culture that St. Charles North is building. They may have graduated some talent, but they have a strong program and a really tight group of kids.

WWS - Lot of sophs last year that will make a difference this year. QB, WR, LB, OL - watch out

WN - Not quite sure what to say about my Falcons. Defense will be top notch, and I think our offense will surprise some people.

Tough to argue against any of these rankings as far as STE goes. Kinda depressing considering there are some really good kids on that team. First time in many years I will watch them without a son on the team.

Reactions: Gene K.
Honestly, considering last year's performance...how in the world does GBN jump ahead of WWS, SCN? I understand you are an optimistic fan be let's not lose touch with reality.

I think they return about 16 starters which is great unfortunately they return 16 starters from a 0-9 team. They have a very tough non conference schedule and could be in trouble if they start 0-2.

Reactions: markmacaluso
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT