ADVERTISEMENT

The Autumn 2021 CCL/ESCC Prognostication Thread - Week III

ignazio

Oct 25, 2007
Okay class, our remedial course, An Introduction to Gambletron is now in session. Now last week we had what's called an "upset." Can anyone tell us what an upset is? Anyone? Anyone? No one? Okay, that is when the favored team loses, or is upset, by the underdog. So when you think the underdog is going to win, you get to have a little contest for yourself and your friend. Okay, that's enough for today. Next class we'll cover who you can have these contests with and why it's not your brother-in-law, the low-life welsher.

neutral field
[2021] Carmel (Mundelein, IL) 24, [2021] Lake Forest (IL) 21

BA @ BR
neutral field
[2021] Brother Rice (Chicago, IL) 35, [2021] Benet Academy (Lisle, IL) 6

Naz @ Marist
neutral field
[2021] Marist (Chicago, IL) 35, [2021] Nazareth Academy (LaGrange Park, IL) 0

ND @ MC
neutral field
[2021] Mount Carmel (Chicago, IL) 52, [2021] Notre Dame (Niles, IL) 0

SR @ LA
neutral field
[2021] Loyola Academy (Wilmette, IL) 26, [2021] St. Rita (Chicago, IL) 6

SI @ SL
neutral field
[2021] St. Ignatius (Chicago, IL) 42, [2021] St. Laurence (Burbank, IL) 7

DLS @ JC
neutral field
[2021] Joliet Catholic Academy (Joliet, IL) 44, [2021] De La Salle (Chicago, IL) 14

MA @ MCHS
neutral field
[2021] Montini Catholic (Lombard, IL) 20, [2021] Marmion Academy (Aurora, IL) 12

F @ PC
neutral field
[2021] Fenwick (Oak Park, IL) 26, [2021] Providence Catholic (New Lenox, IL) 7

DP @ SV
neutral field
[2021] DePaul College Prep (Chicago, IL) 35, [2021] St. Viator (Arlington Heights, IL) 21

Marian, Sticks @ SP
neutral field
[2021] St. Patrick (Chicago, IL) 31, [2021] Marian Central Catholic (Woodstock, IL) 21

Bloom @ Marian, Heights
neutral field
[2021] Marian Catholic (Chicago Heights, IL) 28, [2021] Bloom (Chicago Heights, IL) 6

Leo @ CoM
neutral field
[2021] Carmel (Mundelein, IL) 44, [2021] Leo (Chicago, IL) 0

Redwing +29
Roadrunner +35
Don +52
Mustang +20

Viking +35
Hilltopper -30
Cadet +8
Celtic +19

Lion +14
Hurricane +10
Blazing Trojan +22
Lion +44

Reactions: RockSoup
Brother Rice 38 Benet 14: Rice is just too much for the Wings that are Red

Marist 49 Nazareth 7: Marist is going to pummel the Road Runners

Mount Carmel 41 Notre Dame 6: The Dons will probably end up making the playoffs due to their weak-ish final 6 weeks, but the Caravan will roll right through them this week.

Loyola 28 Saint Rita 14: Loyola is just too much right now

Saint Ignatius 24 Saint Laurence 17: Iggy's patience wins in the end.

Joliet Catholic 56 De La Salle 6: The Hilltoppers freight train is picking up speed.

Montini 17 Marmion 16: I have been a Marmion stan since the spring, but Montini's pedigree is just a bit too much for me to go against in this game.

Fenwick 45 Providence 14: Fenwick is just too much for the current Celtics

Saint Viator 25 DePaul 21: DePaul is perhaps the most dominant team in Illinois after 2 weeks, but I am rolling with the Lions simply because they have actually faced competition. A very important game for both teams playoff hopes.

Saint Pat's 33 Marian of the Sticks 27: Interesting matchup in that The Sticks have some pretty good individual talent and the Shamrocks had a solid performance last week. I'm going with Pat's in a close game.

Marian of the Heights 35 Bloom 0: Nothing to say here other than this will probably be Marian's last win of the season

Carmel 63 Leo 0: Corsairs with an AWESOME performance last week over their Lake County adversary in Lake Forest. Talk about the perfect let down matchup for them to sleepwalk to another W.

Conference play--how I've missed it. I'll tell myself that last week's ND/Fenwick game was a meaningless non-conference game!

Brother Rice -29 vs Benet: Haven't really seen what BR has to offer, but I think it'll be enough to handle the Redwings with somewhat ease.

Marist -35 vs Nazareth: Naz fans will be side-by-side with ND fans confused about an 0-3 start and playing out the scenarios on how to get to 5 wins. Next week's ND/Naz game will be critical for both team's playoff hopes. Next week's Marist/MC game will be big for Blue supremacy.

ND +52 vs Mount Carmel: MC takes the foot off the gas after racing out to a 35-0 halftime lead. Down year for the Dons, but they'll still be fighting each week, as they always do.

Rita +20 vs Loyola: Both teams coming off impressive wins. Rita keeps this one close but loses by a TD.

Laurence +35 vs Ignatius: Iggy wins by a few TDs backed by a really impressive defensive unit.

JC -30 vs DLS: Looks like the Hilltoppers of old. Easy win this week but a few interesting games on the remaining schedule.

Montini -8 vs Marmion: Not sure what to make of this game so I went with the "name brand" coming off an impressive road victory.

Fenwick -19 vs Providence: After seeing the star-studded Friars in action last week, I am a believer. I think they win by three TDs.

Viator +14 vs DePaul: The Rams have feasted on two cupcakes. The Lions are hungry after a tough start. Both teams need this game for their playoff hopes--five wins will be tough to come by.

St Patrick +10 vs MCC: Shamrocks have had a tough go of it in recent years. If they want to make a return to the playoffs, this game is critical as they still have Rita, Carmel, Fenwick and Loyola on the schedule. No home cooking for the Hurricanes and the Shamrocks get the mild upset.

Bloom +22 vs Marian Catholic: Nothing to say for this one.

CoM -44 vs Leo: Are the Corsairs back? I really hope that week one forfeit doesn't come back to haunt them. Should be a playoff team looking at the remaining schedule. Jason McKie early COY!

Week 3 is already here. In 2-3 weeks we will be arguing about playoff projections and mapping out hypothetical “best draws” and “worst draws.” Here are my picks, which to date have been average at best…

BR -29 (this could be the year of Crusader)
Marist -35
ND +52
SR +20

SICP -35
JCA -30
Montini -8
PC +19

DePaul -14
St. Pat’s -10
Marian (Heights) -22
COM -44

I’ll come back with my picks later but just wanted to lay down the odds for the arm wrestling matches vs me at Meiers before the SR v LA game.

@Bowie50 -225 ex-captain, still scrapes in the halls of justice, inventor of cake-flavored Bowie Bars
@lookoutforliam -300 might be a bit younger than Bowie but same passion. I’m in trouble.
@MWittman OFF line will be set when we see which of his house help shows up in his stead. Butler, driver I can handle. Gardner, pool boy, I’m in trouble again.
@ramblinman @ignazio EVEN arm wrestle match with these two high caliber gents may turn to chess, quoting Proust and bottles of wine.

If any of you bring Terry Glavin, I’m running out the back door

I’ll come back with my picks later but just wanted to lay down the odds for the arm wrestling matches vs me at Meiers before the SR v LA game.

@Bowie50 -225 ex-captain, still scrapes in the halls of justice, inventor of cake-flavored Bowie Bars
@lookoutforliam -300 might be a bit younger than Bowie but same passion. I’m in trouble.
@MWittman OFF line will be set when we see which of his house help shows up in his stead. Butler, driver I can handle. Gardner, pool boy, I’m in trouble again.
@ramblinman @ignazio EVEN arm wrestle match with these two high caliber gents may turn to chess, quoting Proust and bottles of wine.

You are the man Rock! I will always cheer for the Men of St. Rita! Just take it easy on us this weekend! If you are at Meiers, I’d like to buy you a Dab.

If KB from Rita was healthy would people be picking Rita? Seems strange they were preseason #1, had one tough rivalry game loss then go beat a nationally ranked opponent just to come back home and no one have faith in them. Mustangs got a really good squad over there off western ave.

arm wrestle match with these two high caliber gents may turn to chess, quoting Proust and bottles of wine.

wine3.jpg

This above is how wine is served at Meier's, complete with their signature gingham table cloths. "Sparkling muscatel; one of the finest wines of Idaho...do you want to smell the bottle cap?"

Last edited:
If KB was healthy then this would be a toss up - however perhaps they take a page out of Marist and MC playbooks who have been sucessful in Wilmette recently

If KB from Rita was healthy would people be picking Rita? Seems strange they were preseason #1, had one tough rivalry game loss then go beat a nationally ranked opponent just to come back home and no one have faith in them. Mustangs got a really good squad over there off western ave.
As a MC fan I’m paying close attention to this game. If LA blows them out or wins easily then they will be the favorites over BR next week and MC and Marist down the road. If it’s a tight game or SR wins then the CCL Blue is up for grabs.

Dogs abound, but man some storied programs catching A LOT of points this week. Good luck!

Lake Forest 3
Brother Rice -29
Nazareth Academy 35
Notre Dame 52
St. Rita 20
St. Laurence 35 but wow could they be this bad?
Joliet Catholic Academy -30
Montini Catholic -8
Providence Catholic 19
St. Viator 14 but wow could they be this bad?
St. Patrick 10 Could they be good?
Marian Catholic -22
Leo 44

Week 3 picks: Silver Screen edition

BR -29 The Departed. Just because every bar around there plays Shipping off to Boston once every 2 hours. But in this version, the ending will be less confusing than the movie

Marist -35 Intermission.

NND +52 The Godfather. Unfortunately for the Dons, this is like the Sonny Corleone toll booth scene.

SR +20 Spinal Tap. Coach Kuska asks his players to give him a 10 and the young Mustangs turn it up to 11 but still end up short 19-12

StL +35 The Hangover. Nothing to do with the game but you can’t have the Wolfpack and not reference the movie.

JCA -30 Speed. Hilltoppers driving a bus that can’t slow down. Enjoy the ride.

Broncos -8 Bronco Billy. Trying to revive his Wild West show, Clint Eastwood becomes inspired by a lady he can’t have and a mental institution. The inspiration has nothing to do with the game but the once proud show does become a huge success again.

PC -19 Leprechaun. Yeah you don’t get to go the Emerald Isle as 19 point favorites without some mayhem ensuing.

StV +14 Lions for Lambs. Time turns a lamb into a Ram and DePaul Prep is headed in that direction. 14 is too much in what should be a competitive game

MCanes +10 Amityville Horror. You know in this house, strange things happen.

MSparta -22 Troy. Yeah, Spartans v Trojans, some of these just write themselves.

LEO +44 Mr. Peabody & Sherman. Can Coach McKie set the clock back to 2003? Time will tell.

Dogs abound, but man some storied programs catching A LOT of points this week. Good luck!

Lake Forest 3
Brother Rice -29
Nazareth Academy 35
Notre Dame 52
St. Rita 20
St. Laurence 35 but wow could they be this bad?
Joliet Catholic Academy -30
Montini Catholic -8
Providence Catholic 19
St. Viator 14 but wow could they be this bad?
St. Patrick 10 Could they be good?
Marian Catholic -22
Leo 44
I don’t think Laurence will lose that badly or maybe not at all but Blackmon was a lot better Coach then they gave him credit for. The new reign isn’t bringing in the athletes he did. D-Coordinater Nye is back at BR, and the guy they hired in his place left shortly after he was hired and is now on MC staff. I have no idea what Coach Frank really even does over there. Advises or something.

I don’t think Laurence will lose that badly or maybe not at all but Blackmon was a lot better Coach then they gave him credit for. The new reign isn’t bringing in the athletes he did. D-Coordinater Nye is back at BR, and the guy they hired in his place left shortly after he was hired and is now on MC staff. I have no idea what Coach Frank really even does over there. Advises or something.
Or something for sure. They’ve got to get their infrastructure in place. So many kids talking about that school and lots of youth in St Dan’s and the near western burbs. No reason why they shouldn’t be competitive.

Reactions: Gene K.
You are the man Rock! I will always cheer for the Men of St. Rita! Just take it easy on us this weekend! If you are at Meiers, I’d like to buy you a Dab.
Yes. I accept. And I’ll accept a burger from you also. Thanks fam. I’ll DM you on game day when I land on the North shore. See you Saturday

• Love
Reactions: Bowie50
It's Dog Week all week here on WCCLESCC ... playin' the hits you love all week long.

BA @ BR
Wings and 29

Naz @ Marist
Roadrunner and 30

ND @ MC
Donny and 52

SR @ LA
Kentucky State Champs and 20

SI @ SL
Larry O'Toole and 35

DLS @ JC
Meteor and 30

MA @ MCHS
Cadets and 8

F @ PC
Celts and 19

DP @ SV
Lion and 14

Marian, Sticks @ SP
Canes and 10

Bloom @ Marian, Heights
Flamin' Hot Trojans and 22

Leo @ CoM
L - E - O and 44

Rock:

I'd like to begin by declaring if you have John Foley accompany you, I'll make for the exit and shove you out of the way as you attempt to retreat from Glavin. John Foley hit so hard, the ripple from his tackles affected fans seated in the stands.

You may want to re-set your odds.

I have no butler, driver, gardener or pool boy. My wife and I unloaded our 1,800 square-foot home with a one-car detached garage in Winnetka three years ago and found refuge in a nearby townhome. Though we did own a house, we performed our own lawn care and I shoveled snow until I turned 60.

You do amuse me, Rock.

Last edited:
If KB was healthy then this would be a toss up - however perhaps they take a page out of Marist and MC playbooks who have been sucessful in Wilmette recently
I can't see any reason for him to play tomorrow. Win or lose, Rita make the playoffs. I only see 1 more tough game on their schedule this year. Rest him up and keep him healthy for the playoffs, and his college career.

Reactions: MonetaMitch
Rock:

I'd like to begin by declaring if you have John Foley accompany you, I'll make for the exit and shove you out of the way as you attempt to retreat from Glavin. John Foley hit so hard, the ripple from his tackles affected fans seated in the stands.

You may want to re-set your odds.

I have no butler, driver, gardener or pool boy. My wife and I unloaded our 1,800 square-foot home with a one-car detached garage in Winnetka three years ago and found refuge in a nearby townhome. Though we did own a house, we performed our own lawn care and I shoveled snow until I turned 60.

You do amuse me, Rock.
Man I got all Camusian on your first statement on Foley because that was my first thought regarding my Glavin line. I actually felt in my chest his hits while sitting in the stands. I mean do I even exist or is my body just a meat vessel for a south side replication of your soul and consciousness?

In regards to the odds now, with the new info provided, I have to set it at Mwitt -150. 40+ years of hand shoveling out of Chicago winters beats my 40+ years of letting my wife shovel us out.

Reactions: bronco man
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT