ADVERTISEMENT

Texas is Different, Man

crusader_of_90

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2003
Sauget, IL
archviewsecurity.com
I follow DeSoto High on X and they reposted this about their five-star WR, Boobie Feaster:

At-home massage therapist. So I started looking around and I see it is DeSoto v Duncanville this week - conference mate both nationally ranked. They call it the Conference of Death. The game will stream for free and I will be watching.

Look at this nice little perk - damn boy, I am sure this cost several grand for all of that shrimp and crab!!!!

We can't even hold their jock up here.

The Best Southwest section of the Metroplex might look like our South Suburbs at first glance but yeah much more dedicated to their HS football.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
I lived in Texas for 8 years and I can tell you that Texas is king of football. Having lived in both Nederland and Port Neches-Grove, I saw some damn good football. Bum Phillips coached at these two HSs and it was named the "Mid County Madness" until they changed it to the Bum Phillips Bowl. These two teams hate each other. Some of the gruesome history, which I will not elaborate on, would shock ya!

A childhood friend moved to Rockwall, Texas in the second grade and played there all of his life. As a freshman, they had intrasquad practices with Dallas Carter and he told me then, "Remember the name Jesse Armstead."

He sure was right about that!!!!
If you read Friday Night Lights, he made the game saving play in their semi-final win over Odessa Permian.

There was also a 30 for 30 ESPN documentary on the '88 Carter team which produced 5 future NFL players but was also stripped of their state title.

If you read Friday Night Lights, he made the game saving play in their semi-final win over Odessa Permian.

There was also a 30 for 30 ESPN documentary on the '88 Carter team which produced 5 future NFL players but was also stripped of their state title.
Armstead attended David W. Carter High School in Dallas, Texas, where he was coached by Freddie James. Armstead was part of a highly talented team that featured four other future NFL players—Clifton Abraham, Joe Burch, Le'Shai Maston, Darius Smith—and won the 1988 5A state championship (which was later stripped by UIL in 1991 due to eligibility infringements), defeating Permian High School in the state semi-final game, which was portrayed as the state championship game in the 2004 film Friday Night Lights and the 2017 ESPN 30 for 30 documentary "What Carter Lost" as well as the 2015 film Carter High.

Armstead was considered the top high school football talent in Texas as well as nationwide by recruiting analysts.[1] He had been an All-American since his sophomore year, and at that time was the only player to be selected as an All-American three years in high school.

Fellow D-I recruits Derric Evans and Gary Edwards asked Armstead to join them and others in a series of robberies of video stores and fast-food restaurants, but he refused. In September 1989, Evans and Edwards were sentenced to 20 years and 16 years, respectively, in prison.[2]

Kind of off subject, but I try to catch East St. Louis' games when they take on other national powers.
There is little doubt that Atascocita was the cream of the crop from what I have seen. Much better than St. John's Bosco who it played in 2022.
It looked like men against boys as Atascocita breezed to a 43-14-win last season. I think it scored on every possession.
And they ended the season ranked like 21st amongst all the teams in Texas.
A top team from Texas is like an NFL team playing Northern Illinois.
Kidding, but it's kind of like that.

Reactions: Alexander32
Kind of off subject, but I try to catch East St. Louis' games when they take on other national powers.
There is little doubt that Atascocita was the cream of the crop from what I have seen. Much better than St. John's Bosco who it played in 2022.
It looked like men against boys as Atascocita breezed to a 43-14-win last season. I think it scored on every possession.
It IS like that! I plan to watch Desoto and Duncanville tonight and expect it to be amazing!

And yea, Atacosita is the best team an IL team has played, maybe ever.

I follow DeSoto High on X and they reposted this about their five-star WR, Boobie Feaster:

At-home massage therapist. So I started looking around and I see it is DeSoto v Duncanville this week - conference mate both nationally ranked. They call it the Conference of Death. The game will stream for free and I will be watching.

Look at this nice little perk - damn boy, I am sure this cost several grand for all of that shrimp and crab!!!!

We can't even hold their jock up here.
I'll take other aspects of IL schools all day

I had the chance to see Texas High School football in person tonight. I was in Ft Worth visiting my son and his wife. He is a 2nd year history teacher at North Crowley.

Stadium is shared by both North Crowley and Crowley High Schools. It would seat several thousand. Video board is as big as ISU board. Half time was 30 minutes to allow for both bands to perform their field show performance and it was still not enough time.

NC won a shootout early in the season against DeSoto 57 to 51. An Illinois connection is the sophomore running back Myson Johnson Cook for Desoto played for Decatur MacArthur last year.

The contest got ugly tonight as Lake Ridge (1-4) was seriously overmatched. LR won the toss but elected to receive 2nd half kickoff. NC scored in 3 plays. NC deployed a 2 kicker setup and onsided and recovered. One play drive. Onsided again and recovered. One play drive. Onsided a third time and scored in a few plays to make it 28 to 0. 3rd ko may not have been planned as onside. It was popped up to 35 and receiving team failed to come up to it. Just 5 minutes in 1st q and NC scored 4 times and LR had not run an offense play yet. Half time score was 56 to 7.

As mentioned above it is about speed. NC QB and RB were running away from defenders. QB could also throw a good ball

We left as it was already 9 and second half was just starting. In Texas, running clock is not automatic like in Illinois. Coaches have to agree as I understand it.

At some point during the game there was a helicopter that flew over. Learn later that SMU head coach had coptered in to check out game. Must have been him leaving.

Texas is different.

Duncanville v DeSoto is CRAZY! There are 34 starters going D1 - not to mention the young ones and back ups.

The speed is nuts and the QB play is superb.

DV over DS 21-6 mid 2Q.
National ranking Mater Dei ranked #1 and St. John Bosco Ca #2. I think Duncanville #3 and Desoto #15? A lot of really good teams and programs. Mater Dei is the cream of the crop. I believe they have been ranked #1 for a few years now.

I live in Texas now. One thing that is different here--and that I don't like--is that the private schools are not in the state sports association. So while you do have some good private school programs, they are generally not as strong as programs like Joliet Catholic and others in Illinois. Private vs public games are often blowouts in favor of the public schools. There are some exceptions of course. But with two separate systems (UIL for public and TAPPS for private) it's not the same as in Illinois. And several of the very elite academic non-Catholic private schools in Texas have their own conference (Southwest Preparatory Conference) that is not part of the UIL or TAPPS.

Last edited:
I live in Texas now. One thing that is different here--and that I don't like--is that the private schools are not in the state sports association. So while you do have some good private school programs, they are generally not as strong as programs like Joliet Catholic and others in Illinois. Private vs public games are often blowouts in favor of the public schools. There are some exceptions of course. But with two separate systems (UIL for public and TAPPS for private) it's not the same as in Illinois. And several of the very elite academic non-Catholic private schools in Texas have their own conference (Southwest Preparatory Conference) that is not part of the UIL or TAPPS.
Texas didn't really have a parallel parochial school system develop along side the public system (combination of the founders "oppressor" having RC as then-state religion and also strong central European influence public ed ethos) nor did it sprout "Academies" upon desegregation at the same level as the core SEC states. Home schooling with participation on the local public HS teams seems to be the school choice most highly thought of.

Definitely not true. Bosco and Mater Dei have been banned from Texas after going into Texas and beating them bad. Including Duncanville. If you have the time and resources to match, playing a Texas team you will fine. Desoto has three Illinois kids playing significant time for them with one being a starter. With have football as a class it makes it a lot easier to be more prepared.

IMG in 21’ was the best team I have seen play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT