ADVERTISEMENT

SWSC Week 9 Picks

Ramblin I think the bump in the road is the start of an infrastructure problem at Northwestern under the direction of the Carl Sandburg graduate. CSHS is just fine without a winning football program in Orland Park.
This kind of reminds me of the Stagg discussion we were having earlier. I just don't see why Sandburg SHOULD have a successful program. It's interesting to me that some of these guys think resources are a major part of the equation. Then they should drop the Sandburg discussion and pick up the Glenbrook North and South discussion. Or the St. Ignatius and Fenwick discussion. The New Trier discussion.

Every year we have a discussion "why isn't school X a yearly semifinalist in 8A?" It seems obvious to me its because schools A through W also have the criteria for success.

This kind of reminds me of the Stagg discussion we were having earlier. I just don't see why Sandburg SHOULD have a successful program. It's interesting to me that some of these guys think resources are a major part of the equation. Then they should drop the Sandburg discussion and pick up the Glenbrook North and South discussion. Or the St. Ignatius and Fenwick discussion. The New Trier discussion.

Every year we have a discussion "why isn't school X a yearly semifinalist in 8A?" It seems obvious to me its because schools A through W also have the criteria for success.

Ok, then why isn't GBN or GBS able to have a sustained run? And I don't think anyone is saying these teams need to be semifinalists, just relevant beyond a one and done in the playoffs.

SI and Fenwick are relatively obvious. NT, same thing.

What about DGS? Doormat for the last 18 years or so following a title. What gives there?

Ok, then why isn't GBN or GBS able to have a sustained run? And I don't think anyone is saying these teams need to be semifinalists, just relevant beyond a one and done in the playoffs.

SI and Fenwick are relatively obvious. NT, same thing.

What about DGS? Doormat for the last 18 years or so following a title. What gives there?

GBN and GBS? The same reason other unsuccessful publics are unsuccessful. They don't have the players.

What's obvious about Fenwick and St. Ignatius? They have enrollment and at $16K+ and almost $20K per year respectively we know they have resources. So, no, I have no idea why these schools aren't powerhouses. Same with NT, almost 4K students and more resources than Sandburg, they should be in the championship every year if any 4K students and a large checkbook are the factors that make a program.

DGS? Do you think it was a coincidence that Belskis got out when he did? I'll certainly grant some of it being coaching, but you can see the difference in the DGS teams from 20 years ago and now.

DGS? Do you think it was a coincidence that Belskis got out when he did? I'll certainly grant some of it being coaching, but you can see the difference in the DGS teams from 20 years ago and now.

What is the difference? I haven't seen them play in years, so serious question...

What is the difference? I haven't seen them play in years, so serious question...

Not as big, not as athletic overall. For example Erik Swenson was a monster and clearly stood out on that team as much as Ive ever seen one player stand out. Their 2001 team has Erik Swenson 2x on the line and the rest was good size too. Even Beskis' last team in 2011 was smallish on the lines, but they had 7 players listed at 250lbs+. This year, 4. When I was there for the 98 and 99 seasons the runningbacks were Marcus Moore and Dom Brown. Ask any WSC fan about those two. There hasn't been anything close to that since and the Williams brothers were legit--Harley-Hampton like. A few years back my little cousin was playing DT listed at 5'10 180lbs.

It's almost like a completely different school.

That would have been a spot on post if you were talking about the Francis Peay/Dennis Green/Rick Venturi years. They were the height of mediocrity then. BUT, NU has found a way to turn it around under couple of that Sandburg grad's predecessors. Fitz has been able to sustain that turnaround in his tenure. Certainly, this year is a bump in the road, but the previous three years all ended with bowl wins and last year they were the Big Ten west division champs. Sandburg hasn't sniffed a similar level of success in a very long time.

Yet no one ever thought NW was good enough to sniff a National Championship. I guess on another level a division championship is good enough. Case in point this years step backwards.

Yet no one ever thought NW was good enough to sniff a National Championship. I guess on another level a division championship is good enough. Case in point this years step backwards.

I never said anything about Sandburg sniffing a title either. I just think that a school that size, and with their favorable demographics, has been mediocre for too long.

GBN and GBS? The same reason other unsuccessful publics are unsuccessful. They don't have the players.

What's obvious about Fenwick and St. Ignatius? They have enrollment and at $16K+ and almost $20K per year respectively we know they have resources. So, no, I have no idea why these schools aren't powerhouses. Same with NT, almost 4K students and more resources than Sandburg, they should be in the championship every year if any 4K students and a large checkbook are the factors that make a program.

How is it that other publics have the players year after year and those schools you mentioned (DGS, GBS, GBN, NT, etc.) do not? The private school cherry picking argument only works for certain schools but not others? Hmmm...

Last I looked, there aren't a ton of new private schools with football programs popping up all over that are "poaching" talent from the publics. Last I looked, private school enrollments are generally on a downward slope.

How is it that other publics have the players year after year and those schools you mentioned (DGS, GBS, GBN, NT, etc.) do not? The private school cherry picking argument only works for certain schools but not others? Hmmm...

Last I looked, there aren't a ton of new private schools with football programs popping up all over that are "poaching" talent from the publics. Last I looked, private school enrollments are generally on a downward slope.
Because that's where they live.

Care to provide a list of what towns the Loyola football players come from and we may be able to answer the main issue with GBN/GBS and NT.

Reactions: anon_4vszfu35bv677
Let's see what everyone predicts for the SWSC that are in the playoffs 1st round and let's say that CPS plays, so here we go:

LWW @ Phillips 28-14. LWW is banged up and Phillips has some explosive individuals. Game closer than some might think because of weather and Phillips not being able to practice for almost two weeks.

Bolingbrook @ HC 35-21. BB comes into the playoffs licking their wounds and losing home field in round 1. HC is pretty strong up front and BB does not have an identity despite a lot of talent. Early exit for BB again.

Lake Zurich @ Andrew 21-17. Andrew is coming off a big road win against BB while LZ is coming off of a "bye sort of speak." LZ is a tough team. This game can go either way but I am sticking with the home team and the Bolts riding high after BB

Plainfield S @ LWE 42-7. LWE has way too much fire power and are extremely strong inside. This game will be over early on.

Curie @ HF 42-14. HF is too fast and too big. They will control the LOS and use their athletes to exploit Curie. This game will be done by 1/2 time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT