ADVERTISEMENT

SWSC-DVC-Southwestern Conferences Scheduling Idea

niualum2002

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2004
So there are several things that are talked about often on this board as it relates to scheduling with these 3 conferences that I think could be resolved with some sort of scheduling alliance similar to the CSL-MSL which seems to work well. The DVC and SWSC will already be starting a scheduling alliance next season where the entire SWSC Blue and the SWSC Red champion plays the DVC. I think this is great and will create some really cool Week 3 matchups. Also last season it looked like half of the SWC (3 teams) scheduled DVC teams Week 3. This proposal would expand on those agreements and I think create something really cool for these schools and fans of Illinois high school football.

Since the DVC and SWC have 6 teams they either need to play twice like in the DVC which I'm not a fan of, or try and find non-cons Weeks 3 and 4 which is much more difficult than finding non-cons Weeks 1 and 2.

These conferences are some of the premier larger school public conferences in the state and all have issues with scheduling. The DVC and SWC need to pick up extra games Weeks 3 and 4 and the SWSC Blue and Red crossovers are absolutely brutal in terms of win-loss record on the SWSC Red teams.

My proposal is why don't we just mix all 22 teams up Weeks 3 and 4 and give them the best possible matchups in terms of competitiveness for those two games? It would mean that there would be one really longer travel week downstate or upstate, but with it happening once a year the teams in these conferences could also market it as a special event, do fan busses etc. I think it would be really fun.
Plus everyone wants to see East St. Louis play some of the top 8A schools in the state...under this proposal you get exactly that Weeks 3 and 4 by them matching up against the SWSC and DVC champions.

Doing this proposal you would reduce SWSC Blue and Red crossovers to one which you could do by previous years standings (#1 Blue faces #1 Red etc...), and you would fill the DVC and SWC Weeks 3 and 4 schedules. All of those things are benefits. Obviously the SWSC Blue schools would possibly hesitate as it may make the path to getting 5 wins a bit harder to qualify for the playoffs, but with most of those schools success over the years, getting to 5 wins isn't nearly as much of a priority as winning 8A. Under this proposal they would be a bit more battle tested heading into the playoffs. They already schedule challenging Week 1 and 2 non-conference games anyways so they don't seem to be afraid of competition.

Anyways using this year's standings and a little creative liberty, here is what I came up with as a Weeks 3 and 4 schedule for all of these schools. What do you think?

Week 3
Lincoln-Way East vs. East St. Louis
O'Fallon vs. Neuqua Valley
Naperville North vs. Bolingbrook
Naperville Central vs. Lockport
DeKalb vs. Bradley-Bourbonnais
Homewood-Flossmoor vs. Edwardsville
Andrew vs. Belleville East
Sandburg vs. Waubonsie Valley
Lincoln-Way West vs. Metea Valley
Lincon-Way Central vs. Alton
Stagg vs. Belleville West

Week 4
Neuqua Valley vs. East St. Louis
Lincoln-Way East vs. Naperville North
Naperville Central vs. Bolingbrook
Lockport vs. Edwardsville
O'Fallon vs. Homewood-Flossmoor
Andrew vs. DeKalb
Bradley-Bourbonnais vs. Belleville East
Sandburg vs. Metea Valley
Lincoln-Way West vs. Waubonsie Valley
Lincoln-Way Central vs. Belleville West
Stagg vs. Alton

Outside of an ESTL, I’m not a fan of this proposal. I don’t see how DVC has trouble with scheduling. Naperville schools are perfect non-conference match for the DuKane and WSS teams imo. I like adding SWSC within rotation but definitely not exclusively.

Outside of an ESTL, I’m not a fan of this proposal. I don’t see how DVC has trouble with scheduling. Naperville schools are perfect non-conference match for the DuKane and WSS teams imo. I like adding SWSC within rotation but definitely not exclusively.
Agreed but the DuKane and WSS aren't available for non-cons Weeks 3 and 4 which is what this is attempting to address since the DVC only has 6 teams and always is scrambling to fill Weeks 3 and 4.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
Agreed but the DuKane and WSS aren't available for non-cons Weeks 3 and 4 which is what this is attempting to address since the DVC only has 6 teams and always is scrambling to fill Weeks 3 and 4.
Ok I should have read closer regarding Weeks 3 & 4, makes sense now.

Update: Next year's schedule...

NN schedule:
HF, Loyola, Bolingbrook, Neuqua, DeKalb, Naper Central, Metea, Waubonsie, DVC bowl

NC schedule:
Hins C., Plain N., Lock, Waubonsie, Neuqua, Naper N, DeKalb, Metea, DVC bowl

Neuqua schedule:
Oswego, Minooka, LWE, Naper N., Naper C., Metea, Waubonsie. DeKalb, DVC bowl

* IMHO this is an insanely aggressive schedule move for my Huskies. Would love to see them make the playoffs and win a game. Not gonna be easy with a schedule like that. 😱

I am for it, LWE definitely seems to have the most difficult path but based on previous years success I agree and it will only make them even better. If you want to be the best you got to play the best. 👍

NN schedule:
HF, Loyola, Bolingbrook, Neuqua, DeKalb, Naper Central, Metea, Waubonsie, DVC bowl

NC schedule:

Neuqua schedule:

* IMHO this is an insanely aggressive schedule move for my Huskies. Would love to see them make the playoffs and win a game. Not gonna be easy with a schedule like that. 😱
Holy cow you're right. That is crazy for NN!

Reactions: NNFAN

NN schedule:

NC schedule:

Neuqua schedule:

Not sure why they went and scheduled Loyola. I wouldn't have blamed them if they scheduled the Patriots 10U team

Reactions: NNFAN
... The DVC and SWSC will already be starting a scheduling alliance next season where the entire SWSC Blue and the SWSC Red champion plays the DVC. ... Also last season it looked like half of the SWC (3 teams) scheduled DVC teams Week 3. ... The SWSC Blue and Red crossovers are absolutely brutal in terms of win-loss record on the SWSC Red teams.
I had no idea this DVC/SWSC pairing was a 1-game measure involving only the whole Blue Division and Red Champ. Also, beyond W/L record, the SWSC crossovers have been "absolutely brutal" in terms of the margin-of-victory in the Blue wins - up toward a 28 point average.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT