ADVERTISEMENT

Super Bowl LIII

Kevin JCHS 81

Jul 16, 2005
I am getting sick and tired of SB LIII being called “boring”, “terrible play”, “two teams playing poorly”, etc.

Super Bowl LIII was very entertaining to an ex-football playe(r) by some true Masters of the game, a defensive gem by both teams, not what we’re used to seeing recently but Masterful all the same.

If you are pseudo football fan who only likes high scoring affairs and cannot appreciate a defensive gem in the Championship, just wait for Vince McMahon’s pre-scripted WWE-NFL coming soon. Where they will stomp the ground on each tackle to make it sound vicious. I’m sure his championships will be like 95-92 with 13 TD’s and 1,450 total yards of offense (each team).

But please leave REAL football to real players, true game masters and true football fans to appreciate.

Last edited:
I am getting sick and tired of SB LIII being called “boring”, “terrible play”, “two teams playing poorly”, etc.

Super Bowl LIII was very entertaining to an ex-football played by some true Masters of the game, a defensive gem by both teams, not what we’re used to seeing recently but Masterful all the same.

If you are pseudo football fan who only likes high scoring affairs and cannot appreciate a defensive gem in the Championship, just wait for Vince McMahon’s pre-scripted WWE-NFL coming soon. Where they will stomp the ground on each tackle to make it sound vicious. I’m sure his championships will be like 95-92 with 13 TD’s and 1,450 total yards of offense (each team).

But please leave REAL football to real players, true game masters and true football fans to appreciate.
Huh?

Reactions: Gene K.

Super Bowl LIII was very entertaining to an ex-football played by some true Masters of the game, a defensive gem by both teams, not what we’re used to seeing recently but Masterful all the same.

The game stunk and the Rams offense was embarrassingly bad, Jared Goff looked like a deer in the headlights. The Pats didn’t score much but they played well but Rams were down 3 points and it seemed like 3 TDS.

Reactions: go dogz
Do you guys give ANY credit where it's due? Like an outstanding Defensive game-plan, or are you basing your expert opinion on one stat (More points)?

I guess a final of 120-113 would have been your idea of good football. :rolleyes:

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Do you guys give ANY credit where it's due? Like an outstanding Defensive game-plan, or are you basing your expert opinion on one stat (More points)?

I guess a final of 120-113 would have been your idea of good football. :rolleyes:

The Rams had an outstanding defensive game plan and played nearly perfect but the Pats still managed to look like an NFL offense, the Rams on the other hand looked like they didn’t belong there. I’m fine with a defensive game game but the Rams were just terrible.

Hell, the game was close throughout and to the very end with any play, including on special teams, potentially having great impact. Many fine plays by DBs in close proximity to the ball and a receiver.

Reactions: crusader_of_90

I understand that you are happy with the result, because obviously you are a Pats fan, so congratulations to you. However, in my opinion, this was not a well played football game. I am just hoping we can stop hearing about what a genius Sean McVay is for awhile.

Goff wet the bed, just like Mahomes did two weeks ago. Wasn’t their time. Maybe next year.

Goff wet the bed, just like Mahomes did two weeks ago. Wasn’t their time. Maybe next year.

Mahomes put together game winning drives. Brady just answered. No where close to the same. Not sure why Mahomes is mentioned here.

I am a Steelers fan so its just an opinion. ( A strong one lol)

Mahomes put together game winning drives. Brady just answered. No where close to the same. Not sure why Mahomes is mentioned here.

I am a Steelers fan so its just an opinion. ( A strong one lol)
Maybe I’m being a little hard on Mahomes. He’s a gamer for sure. I think the veterans have the upper hand on leading a SB win. The youngsters will get their shot in due time.

Maybe I’m being a little hard on Mahomes. He’s a gamer for sure. I think the veterans have the upper hand on leading a SB win. The youngsters will get their shot in due time.

Somewhat true but lining up in the Neutral Zone cost Mahomes one of the second half come backs for the ages. Football is a team sport and all you can ask is for your QB to put you in position to win. He did that. Goff didn't and was unsure the entire night. Thinking about it, it was more about veteran coaching vs young coaches.

I understand that you are happy with the result, because obviously you are a Pats fan, so congratulations to you.
You would of course be wrong. I like and respect the Patriots but I am not a Patriots fan. I enjoy watching Edelman, Brady and Gronk play and I have a lot of respect for the modern-day Patriots organization / staff.

Because I am not a Pat’s fan, I can see how many people find their fan base annoying and unlikable, but I find the jealous Pat’s haters even more annoying.

Brady who is arguably the best Franchise QB ever, did very little yesterday, but he did not have a meltdown when things were not going his way. He helped his team keep their heads in the game and orchestrated one very important drive late in the game.

The Rams Offense (one of the best in the NFL) was constantly frustrated throughout the Super Bowl which can lead observers to 1 of 2 conclusions. 1) the Rams offense sucks [one of the best offenses in the best league in the world sucks – doesn’t sound very reasonable.] OR 2) the Patriots defensive game plan was a stroke of genius and won them the championship [well that cannot be if you hate the Patriots.] I forgot #3 They must have cheated again.

Somewhat true but lining up in the Neutral Zone cost Mahomes one of the second half come backs for the ages. Football is a team sport and all you can ask is for your QB to put you in position to win. He did that. Goff didn't and was unsure the entire night. Thinking about it, it was more about veteran coaching vs young coaches.

players making plays.
edleman just made people look silly all night long.
where as rams offense made the pats defense front 4 look hall of fame.
rams defensive backs kept the game tight.

all:
if your(rooted for) team was not in this game(I am talking any of us no matter who you follow) the game sucked, the only thing you were looking for was numbers being turned over for squares.
if one of these teams was your team, it was a great defensive battle.
and if you were looking for offense, Edelman put on a clinic on how to run routes completely, always follow the play of the qb, and never give up on a play.

You would of course be wrong. I like and respect the Patriots but I am not a Patriots fan. I enjoy watching Edelman, Brady and Gronk play and I have a lot of respect for the modern-day Patriots organization / staff.

Because I am not a Pat’s fan, I can see how many people find their fan base annoying and unlikable, but I find the jealous Pat’s haters even more annoying.

Brady who is arguably the best Franchise QB ever, did very little yesterday, but he did not have a meltdown when things were not going his way. He helped his team keep their heads in the game and orchestrated one very important drive late in the game.

The Rams Offense (one of the best in the NFL) was constantly frustrated throughout the Super Bowl which can lead observers to 1 of 2 conclusions. 1) the Rams offense sucks [one of the best offenses in the best league in the world sucks – doesn’t sound very reasonable.] OR 2) the Patriots defensive game plan was a stroke of genius and won them the championship [well that cannot be if you hate the Patriots.] I forgot #3 They must have cheated again.

AAAAH against a good defense the rams offense sucks. just watch the bears game.

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81

Ok.

players making plays.
edleman just made people look silly all night long.
where as rams offense made the pats defense front 4 look hall of fame.
rams defensive backs kept the game tight.

all:
if your(rooted for) team was not in this game(I am talking any of us no matter who you follow) the game sucked, the only thing you were looking for was numbers being turned over for squares.
if one of these teams was your team, it was a great defensive battle.
and if you were looking for offense, Edelman put on a clinic on how to run routes completely, always follow the play of the qb, and never give up on a play.

I didn't think the game sucked at all and I liked the defense. I do however believed that there was a lot of contact allowed by DBs throughout the game on both sides.

I didn't think the game sucked at all and I liked the defense. I do however believed that there was a lot of contact allowed by DBs throughout the game on both sides.
Agreed, but it seems like they called it consistently for both teams. At one point I was thinking, outside of physically grabbing receivers / face masks or tackling them, there would be no calls.

I enjoyed the hell out of the game.

It was a game! Supposed to be the two top teams going head to head - and two weeks for a master like Belichek to game plan against the “top offense” and a toung QB.

WHO HATES SEEING PERFECT EXECUTION?

Too me, it was fantastic. This was the equivalent of a 3-2 game seven of the World Series: Two solo homers and the Patriots got a single, a double and bunted a run in for the winning tally.

I like defense but I like 85 style Bear defense when QBs routinely get carried off the field.

I remember the Raiders QBs all were carried off the field and RB Marcus Allen had to play QB.

The Pats are all about Bellichek. The players names routinely change but Bellichek is the mastermind.

The Rams O is predicated by Gurley who makes that team go but had an aweful playoffs. Likely he was playing injured.

The game was boring.

Last edited:
Boring is the Pro Bowl. I tuned in for the first time in maybe five years and had no idea they were doing this wrapping up thing. And QB’s laughing and shrugging their shoulders after throwing a pick. What a joke. Why bother with that game anymore?

All the pro sports all star games are now a joke.

They used to be great when Pete Rose and Ray Fosse were playing they were heated battles.

I did learn that Miller Lite and Coors Light contain corn syrup, while Bud Light does not. If corn syrup is so bad, I wish the commercial would have explained why the low calorie versions of Miller and Coors taste so much better than their counterpart from Bud

Just sayin'.

I did learn that Miller Lite and Coors Light contain corn syrup, while Bud Light does not. If corn syrup is so bad, I wish the commercial would have explained why the low calorie versions of Miller and Coors taste so much better than their counterpart from Bud

Just sayin'.
Interesting you mention that.

In today's USA Today that commercial is written about. Daily in the Money section of that paper they have a full page called 50 * States. On that page the have a short news paragraph from somewhere in each state. Every state, including DC is mentioned alphabetically each day. Every time I pick up a USA Today I make sure to read that page because there are some pretty bizarre stories. This story comes from Altoona, Iowa.

"Bud Light's big Super Bowl commercial deriding competitors for using corn syrup made it some enemies in this corn-centric state. The ad met with considerable backlash from Twitter users and the National Corn Growers Association."

Here is the problem with the SB commercials these days. It seems as if no matter what advertisers do, some people will take it upon themselves to be offended. It's a frickin' commercial. SB commercials used to be fun and we could poke fun at each other without some a-hole being offended and whining. No one has a sense of humor anymore and we know all the PC freaks took the fun out of everything.

Reactions: go dogz and Gene K.
Could you say this SB was boring? Sure you could, especially if you like a lot of scoring and want four lead changes in the 4th quarter. But, I would rather watch a game like that one than a blowout any day. I guarantee a lot of TV sets outside of Chicago saw channel changes at halftime of the 1986 SB when the Bears beat the Pats.

This game was close all the way to the end so I saw every play. We were due for a game that didn't live up to the hype.

That's because for you, the Pats won. Oh well.

and you were only riveted because you wanted to see the rams make a first down.hahaha. or break the record for punting 12 times in a game. actually what was their final total for consecutive punts?
8 or 9 or more.

nope did not care who won at all, what sukd, was the fact that professional kickers can no longer kick field goals. lost 50k on that miss. and if they catch that pass before the half, I get a portion of the 50k on the score change. the outcome was as most predicted tight game with the pats/belchek/brady winning.
honestly, if anyone thought it was going to be a high scoring shoot out they were wrong. honestly I thought it was going to be a 13 -16 or 17 - 20 style game. close but, a couple dropped td's and couple missed kicks.

and you were only riveted because you wanted to see the rams make a first down.hahaha. or break the record for punting 12 times in a game. actually what was their final total for consecutive punts?
8 or 9 or more.

nope did not care who won at all, what sukd, was the fact that professional kickers can no longer kick field goals. lost 50k on that miss. and if they catch that pass before the half, I get a portion of the 50k on the score change. the outcome was as most predicted tight game with the pats/belchek/brady winning.
honestly, if anyone thought it was going to be a high scoring shoot out they were wrong. honestly I thought it was going to be a 13 -16 or 17 - 20 style game. close but, a couple dropped td's and couple missed kicks.
LOL. Well, of course if anyone thought it was going to be a scoring shoot out was wrong. The final score was Pats 13, Rams 3. The least amount of points ever scored in a SB game.

In my opinion, the Patriots put on the greatest defensive show the Super Bowl has ever seen. They held a team that averaged scoring 33 points per game during the regular season to just 3 points. I don't think the Rams even entered the red zone. Never had a team that averaged so many points per game been held to just 3. The Dolphins were held to just 3 in SB VI. But they averaged only 28.5 points per game.

Actually, I should probably correct myself. in the 1973 SB the Dolphins defense didn't give up a point to the Redskins. The 'Skins scored their only points late in the 4th quarter when they blocked a Garo Yepremian field goal and returned it for a TD on probably the stupidest looking pass attempt in SB history by Yepremian.

Funny thing, about eight years later I ran into Yepremian in a bar in Florida and we talked about that play. He said the guys on the Dolphins were so pissed at him, because they wanted a shutout, he thought he was going to get his ass kicked in the locker room after the game. LMAO

When Walter fumbled in SB 20, the Pats were able to kick a field goal ... much later, NE scored a touchdown. Many Bears said they never would have gotten the TD if they hadn't already scored. Payton was not only upset about not scoring a touchdown, but. likely, for ruining the shutout.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT