ADVERTISEMENT

State sacks leader

epicbret

Jan 27, 2005
Does anyone know if the state actually tracks this? I have seen three separate mentions of sacks leaders in the media. Not to disparage a single sacker or media member, but is this actually tracked accurately? I assumed it was always just coaches on a whim.

Does anyone know if the state actually tracks this? I have seen three separate mentions of sacks leaders in the media. Not to disparage a single sacker or media member, but is this actually tracked accurately? I assumed it was always just coaches on a whim.
I know there is a sacks statistic included on the IHSA Playoff records page.

I believe that sacks are one of the hardest statistics to track accurately. There is a lot of judgement involved when trying to decide whether the QB was a passer or runner on some plays. Many times it is obvious that the play called was a pass, but other times that isn't the case and it's just a tackle for loss. I'm of the opinion that this is an easily inflated stat if person doing the stats is so inclined. I think the advent of the RPO makes the judgement even more difficult.

I believe it's reported by the coaches as well. And some are, let's say, generous with their reported numbers

Some coaches and most parents on Facebook declare any time the qb is tackled near or behind the LOS a sack. Even when the kid is third or fourth on the pile. On questionable plays the best way to decide is to look at Wrs. If they are trying to block it was likely a run.

Reactions: Irish LB
This is kinda dumb in HS. Example, my son had 4 sacks against a Joliet team before HT. Imagine if he played the entire game. Enough said. Sacks are important but most teams in HS pull off the dogs after halftime if it’s a blowout. Just saying.

All stats and most records are subjective in the IHSA because they have to be reported by the coaches and some will embellish stats and others won't report anything. Outside of the championship games the IHSA doesn't track anything.

Reactions: corey90
According to MaxPreps, the state leader in sacks this season is Devan Van Ness from Barrington with 16.

That's the info I used for my story.

According to MaxPreps, the state leader in sacks this season is Devan Van Ness from Barrington with 16.

That's the info I used for my story.
I did not realize that was one of yours, but yeah his profile was one of the three.

Great work bud.

Saw two sources saying Kaminski had 18.5 on the year.

Also saw another player mentioned with 16 earlier but I have COVID brain and cannot remember who

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT