ADVERTISEMENT

State Playoff Round 2 CPL Edition

Thereturnofcmonman

Oct 4, 2019
I see the crystal raindrops fall (no rain in the forecast this week though?), and the beauty of it all (duh, it's playoff season), is when the sun comes shining through (at least for the teams that play Saturday afternoon). To make those rainbows in my mind (is that a nickname?), when I think of you sometime and I wanna spend some time with you (at Gately!)...Just the two of us, we can make it if we try (unless there is traffic), just the two of us...Just the two of us, building castles in the sky (now why the hell would we do that when we have state playoff action!!!), you and I (in a week filled with state playoff action)!

It's week 2 of the state playoffs, let's get to the picks...

Kankakee Kays @ Morgan Park Mustangs: "Riding on the City of New Orleans, Illinois central Monday Morning rail (it's a long haul to Gately). Fifteen cars and fifteen restless riders (man, I hope they bought a strong tent if they're camping out at Gately). Three conductors (even they want a ticket) and 25 sacks of mail (pit stop along the way?), all along the southbound odyssey....Good morning, America how are you? Say, don't you know me, I'm your native son. I'm the train they call the city of New Orleans, I'll be gone 500 miles when the day is done." If you know the next stop of this train, you know the winner of this game....Little did we know when Arlo Guthrie wrote "the train pulls out of Kankakee," he would be making a CPL playoff prediction. Take Kankakee (and a train to Gately!)

Phillips Wildcats @ Kewanee Boilermakers
"Easy lover, they'll get a hold on you, believe it (God bless it, that wasn't holding!), Like no other, before you'll know it you'll be on your knees (Come on, his knee wasn't down!), they're an easy lover, they'll take your heart but you won't feel it(damn referees and their inadvertent whistles), they're like no other, and they're just trying to make you see(see what? I have no idea.)" What a great song, another Phil Collins classic. Probably the only song that was a duet between two Philips! Phil Collins and Philip Bailey Jr.!! They'll tell you that this pick is easier than the easy lover, take Phillips.

Clark Eagles @ Reed Custer Comets
"East-bound and down (wait a minute, we are going the wrong way, we are supposed to be going south!!!!), loaded up and truckin (gotta love the long yellow school bus rides), Ay, we gonna do what they say can't be done (nope, I don't believe it). We got a long way to go (you definitely do), and a short time to get there (well, you should leave earlier), we're eastbound, just watch your bandit run (no run game this week)." The vaunted Clark run game will hit the wall against the Jerry Reed Custer Comets. Take Reed Custer to move on to the round of 8!

Week 2 of the IHSA playoffs are underway, and we still have Hot CPL Action!!! We even have a home game at Gately! On to the picks!

Kankakee Kays @ Morgan Park Mustangs
One of my best friends growing up had a mom named Kay. The woman made the best home made fried chicken I've ever eaten. I used to make excuses to stay for dinner at this kid's house every time that I even thought that she might be making it. If Kay from Kankakee is half as great as Kay from Detroit, the Mustangs don't stand a chance. Of course, Kay from Detroit didn't have to take on Morgan Park at Gately.
MP!

I saw Kewanee and immediately thought of Kewanee Wi and one of my favorite bars, the Blue Door. Great bar. Great location. Great bartenders. Close to Door County. Of course, none of this matters because this is Kewanee IL. Home of... um, er... ahh, um...
Wildcats!

Michelle Eagles @ Reed-Custer Comets
Couldn't be happier Coach Percy and Michelle got a win for the CPL in the IHSA playoffs. I hope you shock the world. Unfortunately, one of the cardinal rules of CPL Pick 'em is don't bet against a hyphen, and if anything, I am a man of principle.
Comets!

The only thing better than Hot CPL Action is Hot MACtion, November football. Got to love it!

Kankakee Kays @ Morgan Park Mustangs
The only Kay I know is a tree hugging hippie that's all about peace circles, feelings and being in touch with your emotions. Sorry Kay that's not what football is about. No feelings, just beating each other up between the whistles. Give me Morgan Park

Did you know Kewanee HS backs up to a cemetery? If this game were played last week I'd take the ghouls and ghosts to overcome the Wildcats, but this week it seems more like a perfect spot to be buried by Phillips. Go Cats!

Michelle Eagles @ Reed-Custer Comets
What great irony that General Custer brings his troops into battle against Coach Percy and his Eagles. Hopefully Coach remembers to pack his Little Bighorn and he bellows those calls for all to hear. Custer never had a chance then, nor do they this week. Coach Percy and the boys get ready to host Round 3 in the mud of Rockne!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT