Northern suburban playoffs
Southern suburban playoffs
Downstate playoffs

Then play for “super state titles”

Downstate vs Chicago public champs
Big private vs small private champs
Northern Suburban vs Southern Suburban champs

Even if you lose the Super State title game, you claim state champs

More people are happy. Best way to settle many issues. If the IHSA says no, set up your own tournament and leave the IHSA if necessary.

Thoughts?

How about this...

Start the playoffs week 9

6 “state title” trophies

Big school private playoffs
Small school private playoffs
Chicago public playoffs
Northern suburban playoffs
Southern suburban playoffs
Downstate playoffs

Then play for “super state titles”

Downstate vs Chicago public champs
Big private vs small private champs
Northern Suburban vs Southern Suburban champs

Even if you lose the Super State title game, you claim state champs

More people are happy. Best way to settle many issues. If the IHSA says no, set up your own tournament and leave the IHSA if necessary.

Thoughts?
That eliminates the possibility of a really good small suburban school from winning a championship. For instance Johnsburg.

I guess you could split northern and southern suburbs into big and small and have eight trophies

Two classes for northern burbs (part of the state) and two classes for southern burbs (part of the state)? Plus southern Illinois and the private classes? That takes us back to 8 classes (or more if you slice and dice it more for privates and southern Illinois).

Aren’t we watering down “state championships” a little too much at some point in the slicing and dicing? I mean that’s basically nearly equivalent to a Conference title once you slice it down that far.......Or at best a regional title...

But doesn’t that address many of the complaints over the years?

Maybe. But if you really wanted to address all the concerns - then

* everyone in the playoffs (except maybe 0-8, 1-7 teams?)
* 24 classes so nearly everyone can make the claim “I’m a semi final team” and 24 teams can claim “I’m a state champion”.

I like the diversity of public/private together. The current system is IMHO good but not perfect. It is impossible to satisfy all participants. No matter what the system is someone will feel it is biased toward ......
Regional championships are not state championships.

Expand Class 4A to 17 teams, 16 of which will play an elimination tournament to determine who gets to play Rochester in the championship game every year.

Expand Class 6A to 17 teams, with 16 teams battling it out to get to play Prairie Ridge in the championship game every year.

With the above system, you will have the rightful 2 teams playing in the championship game for these two classes.

Makes a heck of lot more sense than how the IHSA is currently doing it. Come on IHSA, get with program! Frankly, you guys should feel embarrassed having a mere civilian come up with ideas for you. You're the professionals. right?

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT