ADVERTISEMENT

St. Rita 35, Bishop Mac 13--Final.

35-13 Final. Playoff bound! BR on the road next. Nothing the crusaders would like more than to beat Rita in their tough season

35-13 Final. Playoff bound! BR on the road next. Nothing the crusaders would like more than to beat Rita in their tough season

I would really love to see a Rita victory to keep this momentum going! Last year, SR lost to teams they should've beaten and beaten teams they should've lost to. This year, I believe they are more stable, which may just bode well come playoff time.

After SR ran the opening kickoff back for a TD I kind of felt the game lost intensity. Vanilla offense and held out one of the WR’s who could have played. It was great to see dirty uniforms with almost all the games on field turf you never see them much anymore. Some sliding. Do the kids even own shoes with removable cleats? With the dirty uniforms it was easy to see how early and often they substituted. In the second half one of the DB’s with a clean uniform intercepted a ball. The reception he received on the bench was if he clinched a national title. Nice to see kids enjoy the game and pull for a teammate who has worked his butt off for four years.

BR next week and a game that should not be taken lightly. While the MC/SR game is important to players and alumni. The BR/SR game is the big game for the student bodies.

Reactions: Cross Bones
I need some help understanding from you south side Catholic guys. Aurora guy here. Never lived in the City.

Why is BR/SR a bigger rivalry than MC/SR?
Rice, Rita, MC and Marist are all so close to one another. How are the battle lines drawn? What makes one rivalry better than another on the South Side?

I need some help understanding from you south side Catholic guys. Aurora guy here. Never lived in the City.

Rice, Rita, MC and Marist are all so close to one another. How are the battle lines drawn? What makes one rivalry better than another on the South Side?

Just matters what week it is

Reactions: Cross Bones
A lot of kids that come from a core group of Catholic parishes (St. Walter’s, Barnabas, Christ the King, St. Cajetan, St. John Fisher, St. Christina, Most Holy Redeemer, Queen of Martyrs, St. Catherine) It not uncommon to have 8th grade boys from one parish go to 4 or 5 different high schools. There is a lot of ball busting that goes on between the general school populations. Although they go to different high schools they still live on the same blocks with the kids they plated with as little tikes. You don’t see this in public schools because of district lines.

For alumni and former players MC/SR is the big game but for the non players it seems to be BR/SR. When my son played they moved a freshman game to a Saturday night and filled BR stadium with area kids. They ran out of nachos and pizza. Not many adults or alumni out for that game. Here s a couple of good articles with kids from St. Christina that went to St. Rita and Mount Carmel.

http://www.pressreader.com/usa/chicago-sun-times/20070914/284631778030875
and
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2008-09-19/sports/0809181139_1_st-rita-carmel-mt

Reactions: Cat Box and Gene K.

Not a southside guy here. Regardless, I'm pretty sure the short answer depends on which school you affiliate with, where you grew up, when you graduated, and what sport you played.

Let's take a look at the schools you mentioned.

Marist and BR: Both schools are about a mile apart from each other. At one time, both were all boys schools. Marist is maybe ten years or so younger than BR. I'm fairly certain that Marist and Rice are each other's main rival. That might be somewhat less true for Rice alumni who graduated in the first ten years of Rice's existence. In those years before Marist, Rice students probably looked at schools like Leo, or maybe even Mendel as strong rivals. Since Marist went coed 10-15 years or so ago, the Marist girls and the McAuley girls have become each other's main rival. McAuley and Rice are right next to each other and lots of families send sons and daughters to both schools. That creates an unofficial brother/sister school dynamic. As a result, I think the Marist/Rice rivalry has increased even morseso since Marist went coed.

Rita: A much older school than Rice and close in age to MC. Up until 1990, Rita was located at 63rd and Claremont, five miles due west of MC. It is an all boys school. When it moved its campus to 79th and Western, it moved further away from MC and closer to Rice. That might explain why Rita currently considers Rice more of a main rival than it does MC...at least among Rita grads who never knew anything other than the 79th and Western campus. Older Rita alums may well consider MC to be their main rival now, but back in the day it may have been a school like Leo or even Mendel Catholic, a fellow Augustinian school that, while pretty far away would have had great athletic rivalries with all the south side Catholic schools.

MC is the oldest of the four schools and is located at 64th and Dante. I would say that they consider Rita to be their main rival today. That would be due, in part because of how close Rita used to be to MC and also in part due to the competitive football program that Rita has had that has roughly coincided with the competitive program MC has had in the Lenti era.

All this rivalry stuff is ever changing. When Catholic schools like DLS, Laurence, Leo and Mendel were athletic powerhouses back in the day, the southside rivalries were different than they are now. When I was a student at Loyola back in the 70s, our biggest rival was Gordon Tech.

All the above is mostly just my opinion. I'm happy to be corrected by those posters who have experienced these rivalries.

Last edited:
Reactions: RockSoup
Not a southside guy here. Regardless, I'm pretty sure the short answer depends on which school you affiliate with, where you grew up, when you graduated, and what sport you played.

Let's take a look at the schools you mentioned.

Marist and BR: Both schools are about a mile apart from each other. At one time, both were all boys schools. Marist is maybe ten years or so younger than BR. I'm fairly certain that Marist and Rice are each other's main rival. That might be somewhat less true for Rice alumni who graduated in the first ten years of Rice's existence. In those years before Marist, Rice students probably looked at schools like Leo, or maybe even Mendel as strong rivals. Since Marist went coed 10-15 years or so ago, the Marist girls and the McAuley girls have become each other's main rival. McAuley and Rice are right next to each other and lots of families send sons and daughters to both schools. That creates an unofficial brother/sister school dynamic. As a result, I think the Marist/Rice rivalry has increased even morseso since Marist went coed.

Rita: A much older school than Rice and close in age to MC. Up until 1990, Rita was located at 63rd and Claremont, five miles due west of MC. It is an all boys school. When it moved its campus to 79th and Western, it moved further away from MC and closer to Rice. That might explain why Rita currently considers Rice more of a main rival than it does MC...at least among Rita grads who never knew anything other than the 79th and Western campus. Older Rita alums may well consider MC to be their main rival now, but back in the day it may have been a school like Leo or even Mendel Catholic, a fellow Augustinian school that, while pretty far away would have had great athletic rivalries with all the south side Catholic schools.

MC is the oldest of the four schools and is located at 64th and Dante. I would say that they consider Rita to be their main rival today. That would be due, in part because of how close Rita used to be to MC and also in part due to the competitive football program that Rita has had that has roughly coincided with the competitive program MC has had in the Lenti era.

All this rivalry stuff is ever changing. When Catholic schools like DLS, Laurence, Leo and Mendel were athletic powerhouses back in the day, the southside rivalries were different than they are now. When I was a student at Loyola back in the 70s, our biggest rival was Gordon Tech.

All the above is mostly just my opinion. I'm happy to be corrected by those posters who have experienced these rivalries.

I think this sums it up. Our rivals in the mid-to-late '80's were MC and Leo. When there was just one CCL, GT was considered our "northside" rival, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT