ADVERTISEMENT

St.Rita 20 JCA 10 final

Rita deserved this. Kudos to them for not giving up and finding a way to stay in the game.
Absolutely. And JC is going to look at the opportunities to put the game away that they didn't take.

15 seconds and no timeouts ran a play in field goal position late in 2nd quarter. Staff was yelling to down the ball but the offense ran a play and threw it up in the air, ending the half with no FG attempt. Those three points were likely enough to seal the difference (the 20-10 final is only because of a Rita run at the end after JC out of timeouts).

A few times going for it on 4th and short at midfield and being stopped. JC's dangerous punter can boom it inside the 10 and let the dominant defense keep field position flipped.

A blocked punt and a bad shotgun snap immediately after an INT all helped this one slip away.

JC's defense looks real good. The offense, quite simply, has not shown up much these past two weeks. I know PC and SR are pretty good defenses, but the JC offense has a lot of figuring things out to do. Would have loved to have seen some under center QB bootlegs tonight. Still need to see some more reliance and development from a second and third running back.

Good win for Rita. Their offense will have to step it up vs MC. JC absolutely needs a good performance against ND next week. After that Marist is probably favored and SF is a tossup.

Good recap by Hillmen

Game started in the worst way. St. Rita receives. Excellent pressure on QB, release is hit, INT brought down to St. Rita’s 4 and Joliet Catholic opens the scoring up 7-0.

I mention this play because it makes QBJett’s incredible 4th Q really amazing. With Joliet Catholic’s front 7 dominating the game, Jett probably had under 2 seconds to make a decision. And it showed later in the game with Joliet Catholic causing a strip sack and another INT with a great read by the Joliet Catholic DB stepping in front of the WR

But then QBJett made some outstanding plays to lead his team to the win. 3rd and long around midfield, under duress, escapes the pocket, extends the play, pulls up and fires a strike for a first down. And again on 4th and 11 at the 12, hits a beautiful pylon post route right in the hands for the lead.

It was a great game to watch. And Hillmen is correct in his assessments above about leaving St. Rita in the game but so proud of how the Mustang D stiffened up throughout the game while being on the field most of the game after a two hour bus trip. How the staff kept the team together and the players executing down the stretch was something I had to see and I saw it.

Joliet Catholic K/P Durkin is a weapon.

Good Luck to the Hilltoppers the rest of the season and a great win on the road by the Mustangs. And usually I like to mention handful of players but I really can’t it was a team win. The tackling cleaned up, the RBs were contained for the most part but Herman has a great blitz pickup on the TD pass and DJ had nice downfield blocks on Jett’s scrambles for 1st downs, the OL was in a dogfight but battled hard against a great front seven. And I mentioned the D keeping them in it. Team win

Getting out of Joliet with a win makes me want to get the band back together and pay off the penguin’s tax bill.

Hill Nation—Yes props to Rita as I said above.
Now a few observations—seems to me we are running an offense that’s goal is to get to the 20 yard line so Mr. Durkin can kick field goals. Not seeing that hard charging aggressive offense that goes for TD’s. Also, is there not a screen play or QB draw play in the book? Grigsby and Washington would be ideal for the screen. Defense is so good this year but they need the O to take some pressure off them.
Not spiking the ball at the end of Q2 is a mental mistake that can be corrected. Bad snaps can be as well. Play calling, too.
Would not be surprised to see us run the table now or at worst be 7-2 and a great chance in the playoffs.

Reactions: RockSoup
Rita supporters should be proud of these boys for exhibiting the perseverance & fortitude to stay in the game mentally and capitalize when the opportunity presented itself. I like seeing kids not give up. Certainly room for improvement as most teams are at Week #3 and if they continue on that course they will be a tough out in November. Wishing them the best of luck.

As cited above, the Hilltoppers need to play a more heady game. Additionally, the Motion/Procedure & Holding penalties that put the stick behind the chains made sustaining drives against a solid opponent too tall of an order.

Jaws' quotes in the Sun Times have me of the mind that the coaches will get things cleaned up. Next week vs. NND will tell a lot about the character of this squad.

“What a wasted opportunity,” Joliet Catholic coach Jake Jaworski said. “[The defense] played their hearts out. Even those 20 points on the board — they played a lot better than that. ... They deserved a much better fate tonight.”

“What I told our guys after the game, everybody’s all hunky-dory, feeling good the last two weeks,” Jaworski said. “Everybody kind of has that plan until you get punched in the mouth. And we got punched in the mouth tonight. ... We’ll see Monday how we respond.”

This Hilltopper loss definitely stings. After sleeping on it, a couple of thoughts:

1. A decision on the QB needs to be made. I'm not sure it's a clear cut decision either way, but playing two QBs seems like a bad option. Make a decision either way and go with it.
2. Commit to being more balanced on offense. This team does not have the ability to line up and run it down good defenses' throats. The last two weeks have shown that. They've also shown the ability to throw the ball. Work that more into the game plan, and it should help to open up the running game.

This Hilltopper loss definitely stings. After sleeping on it, a couple of thoughts:

1. A decision on the QB needs to be made. I'm not sure it's a clear cut decision either way, but playing two QBs seems like a bad option. Make a decision either way and go with it.
2. Commit to being more balanced on offense. This team does not have the ability to line up and run it down good defenses' throats. The last two weeks have shown that. They've also shown the ability to throw the ball. Work that more into the game plan, and it should help to open up the running game.
I have to agree. I never liked playing two
QBs . It’s hard to have consistency.
IMO coaches play two QBs because neither has won the job, which is a problem in itself.

As the great Hilltopper faithful saw what they hope gets fixed through the balance of the season, here’s my wish list for the Mustangs:

I’ve always been a big believer in if you can’t win the 7on7 or 11 on 11 battles, then play 1on1 and that has to be in the cookbook. I think WR Maxson has to get more contested looks vs man, I know the safety was favoring his side over the top but I’m thinking 1,2 release ball with a little air since he has a catch radius advantage over most DBs. And if the safety slides to help on Maxson, come back to the seam to Lynch, or Gymiah or a released back.

Speaking of backs, need to get them in space with swings, slip seams, leaks. If my memory is correct, it seemed in the 2000s St. Rita offenses were able to get the Hoods and Moores and Dispensas and Starks open in space.

But again I’m pretty sure these are on the Coaches’ wish list too. Because I ain’t complaining momma, their coaching in the second half on both sides of the ball was really spot on with what their players were able to do in week 3 with the roster turnover they have had. And if their ability to create space for their athletes grows as the season goes, it makes me optimistic for the November part of the season regardless of what happens next week. And I ain’t conceding nothing next week, not with this team, I learned that last night.

It was a great game! MC made quick work of ND so I was able to switch over. Saw the fumble (which if reviewed I’m not sure it was a fumble) and the INT and I thought Rita might be in the same boat with this QB as last season but he really showed his poise that last drive. People who didnt see the game the final score is a tad misleading, JCA was up 10-6 with 2 minutes left and SR had 4th and 14 and the QB threw a great pass for a TD! If that pass goes incomplete JCA wins 10-6 most likely. The last TD I don’t think JCA was even in the right mindset and they thought SR was to just down, it didn’t seem like they tried to tackle him…..but it helped my SR by two score predictions so I was happy 😀. Great old school high school defensive game!! See you next week for the greatest rivalry in IL High School Football!

Reactions: RockSoup
Rita supporters should be proud of these boys for exhibiting the perseverance & fortitude to stay in the game mentally and capitalize when the opportunity presented itself. I like seeing kids not give up. Certainly room for improvement as most teams are at Week #3 and if they continue on that course they will be a tough out in November. Wishing them the best of luck.

As cited above, the Hilltoppers need to play a more heady game. Additionally, the Motion/Procedure & Holding penalties that put the stick behind the chains made sustaining drives against a solid opponent too tall of an order.

Jaws' quotes in the Sun Times have me of the mind that the coaches will get things cleaned up. Next week vs. NND will tell a lot about the character of this squad.

“What a wasted opportunity,” Joliet Catholic coach Jake Jaworski said. “[The defense] played their hearts out. Even those 20 points on the board — they played a lot better than that. ... They deserved a much better fate tonight.”

“What I told our guys after the game, everybody’s all hunky-dory, feeling good the last two weeks,” Jaworski said. “Everybody kind of has that plan until you get punched in the mouth. And we got punched in the mouth tonight. ... We’ll see Monday how we respond.”
Perfect response by Jaws!

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT